• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why was it only Sony that received kickback for attempting to close the PS3 store?

Xbox 360 store is closing very soon and the Wii, Wii U and 3DS stores are already closed and nobody bats an eyelid, but when Sony tried to close the PS3, VITA and PSP stores, everyone made such a fuss that they had to walk back their decision.

Are Sony just weak, folding at tiniest sign of of pushback from their fanbase? Do Sony fans care more than their Xbox/Nintendo counterparts? or are Sony fans just a bunch of loud-mouthed crybabies? What gives?

PeteBull

Xbox 360 store is closing very soon and the Wii, Wii U and 3DS stores are already closed and nobody bats an eyelid, but when Sony tried to close the PS3, VITA and PSP stores, everyone made such a fuss that they had to walk back their decision.

Are Sony just weak, folding at tiniest sign of of pushback from their fanbase? Do Sony fans care more than their Xbox/Nintendo counterparts? or are Sony fans just a bunch of loud-mouthed crybabies? What gives?
Its all simple af, no1 gives a damn about x360, wii, wiiu or 3ds games anymore :)

Because some important games can only be played on PS3 and there is no backwards compatibility for that console. So only way to access those games would be physical games or piracy. Same can be said for some games of the Xbox 360, but at least the most important ones are backwards compatible or PC compatible and can still be purchased digitally. I have no words for nintendo, they are the worst in regards to this, but their fanbase is happy with anything they do, so ...

Dick Jones

Gold Member
For sure. As I recall real PS3 fans wanted it closed asap but the astroturfers forced Sony to keep it open. I never saw anything like it.
kenan and kel nicksplat GIF

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
For sure. As I recall real PS3 fans wanted it closed asap but the astroturfers forced Sony to keep it open. I never saw anything like it.
Why the fuck would PS3 fans want the store closed? How would it benefit them or anyone else?

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Sony Bad. Xbox Good.

This is how the online community and astroturfing works.
Xbox put some considerable efforts into backwards compatibility. Less of
inaccessible content
For example there was a recent Lost Odyssey and blue dragon thread where Sakaguchi said he had no plans to port them. But they are BC. It's the OG xbox that has more lost exclusives.

WoJ

I also think part of it has to do with the fact that Sony didn't give that long of a notice. It was only a couple months whereas MS and Nintendo gave like a year.

1 - Xbox has had backwards compatibility for a while. So it has lessen the blow of their pushback to people.
And if I'm not mistaken, a lot of Xbox and 360 games will still be available.

I believe every game deserves being preserved, but I'm seperating my opinion here, because I'm talking about the public in general, not me.

2 - Pushing back against Nintendo for doing it, is like pushing back against a serial killer for killing another 20 people.
If they are free, the serial killer will do serial killer things.

Point is, that disgusting disregard towards gaming preservation, is what they have been doing for a LONG time. Nintendo will do Nintendo. They will pet you on the head from time to time, and give you the obvious and super popular older games of theirs on Switch, but beyond that, they don't care.

People feel sad (I literally cried when the 3DS store closed), people feel angry, but at the end of the day, it's Nintendo. They are as anti-art as a gaming company gets (Being against art, WHICH IS WHAT VIDEO GAMES ARE, being preserved, is anti-art). And people know that.

Sony, on the other hand, has nothing.

They don't have backwards compatibility.
And they seem pretty neutral towards gaming preservation.

Which is why people tend to push back audibly to them.
And the fact that they care enough to delay the closure of these stores, shows that your voice matters at least a little bit to them.

You scream to people that listen to you. You talk to people that listen to you.
The ones that don't, some will try, but most will just feel the way they feel, and that's it.

LordCBH

I’m glad they got pushback on it. The fact MS isn’t getting pushback for closing the 360 store is disgusting. There’s basically no reason to shut it down.

Three

I’m glad they got pushback on it. The fact MS isn’t getting pushback for closing the 360 store is disgusting. There’s basically no reason to shut it down.
Had a dude trying to poison the well for anybody complaining in the xbox store closing down thread. It's all about readying your audience and giving positive vibes like they did everybody a favour. Few years back those same people would have been banging on about "Azure" and how MS stores don't close "because of the infrastructure and storage" or something.

Fredrik

A majority of my digital Xbox 360 games are backwards compatible so I moved on. Same with Nintendo, most are on Switch so I’ve moved on.
Switch? I have 100+ digital VC games bought on Wii, transferred to WiiU, rebought many games for updated versions, then lost everything because nothing works on Switch.
Result, I don’t trust Nintendo these days. I buy Zelda, Mario, Metroid and skip everything else and never ever buy any indie games because I don’t trust that anything will work on their next platform. They’re the worst. I would rather invest again on Stadia games, I at least got the money back from that.

There's no PS3 backwards compatibility so many games can still only be played on it. Even I was thinking of getting one off ebay because of games I can't access any other way. Its not the same with 360 because the majority of well known games are BC and can be played on an xbox one or series consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom