• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why was it only Sony that received kickback for attempting to close the PS3 store?

Leonidas

If Sony closed out the PS3 store with a big sale, like Nintendo and Xbox have done, then I don't think there would be an outrage.

I had a good experience with both Nintendo and MS store closing since I ended up buying a bunch of games that were on sale.

Easy. Sony/ps3 is the bigger and more popular one and digital for the most part. Also the fact the 360 have backwards compatibility. As for Nintendo, idk. Believe most ppl buy all these games physical. Hell, I’m sure if u look at the switch ps4/5 and Xbox’s, pretty sure switch have more ppl buying physical on Nintendo. But I could be wrong on the Nintendo part. But ps3, no backwards compatible for it.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
There was a report recently from the Insomniac leak where it said 2 million+ users were still on PS3. It's such an awesome console people have a hard time letting go. I still use it fairly regularly, both for movies and games. It's also BC with PS1 and have a good selection of PS one classics. The only ones I I'm still missing is Parasite Eve and Brave Fencer Musashi, but I hope for a re-release on current gen instead. And I still shop around for games on the PS3 store, even though it's a fucking pain in the ass. Luckily, I got most of the games now that I want so if Sony wants to close it then go ahead. But yeah, the PS3 is awesome, I will never abandon it 😎

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So the second group saved the PS3 store and let the 360 store die. Sounds like the paid Microsoft mouthpiece did PS3 gamers a solid. They saved the PS3 store!
And the paid Microsoft mouthpiece did Microsoft a solid, instead of protecting the 360 store and doing Xbox 360 users a solid. Right? Hence the paid mouthpiece.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And the paid Microsoft mouthpiece did Microsoft a solid, instead of protecting the 360 store and doing Xbox 360 users a solid. Right? Hence the paid mouthpiece.

They did MS a solid by not protecting an MS service?

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

If that "group" actually had any sense to hold MS accountable for anything they might actually do xbox gamers a solid too but that group care more for doing corporate a solid rather than the users. They were too busy trying to paint Playstation in that "anti-consoomer" light back then with silly influencer pieces like this at the very start of the gen:

What's the source of the quote you've posted? Googling isn't turning back any results.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They did MS a solid by not protecting an MS service?

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN
Is it really that hard to understand?

Microsoft wanted to shut down the Xbox 360 store. The shill journalists kept their mouths quiet and didn't complain. When the same group wrote anti-Sony articles when Sony tried shutting down the PS3 store and create so much negative PR that Sony had to reverse its decision.

You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
For the players? Try ‘For the Blockbusters’
This title also reminded me of a certain anti-PlayStation campaign that Sony is only interested in doing big games, and not smaller indies.

It's funny that the discourse now in 2024 is "Where are Sony's big games? They are only releasing smaller games." 🤣 Also ironic that Astrobot and Lego Horizons, smaller kid-friendly games, are scheduled to be released later this year.

Man, these FUD campaigns were always funny. But they get so much funnier in hindsight.

Codes 208

Gold Member
I’m more inclined to ask where was the same level of rage when sony practically doubled psn prices after xbox tried doing that and failed

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Jeff Grub, VentureBeat

Three, Neogaf.

A link would be nice, no?

Microsoft wanted to shut down the Xbox 360 store. The shill journalists kept their mouths quiet and didn't complain. When the same group wrote anti-Sony articles when Sony tried shutting down the PS3 store and create so much negative PR that Sony had to reverse its decision.

Ok. Good on those shills for being the vocal minority that allowed the store to stay open then.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Online stores are important to modern 7th and up consoles, how this came to be was because of SONY and the PSN store, keep your head down and keep collecting PS3 physical copies.

cireza

Like clockwork.

iu

Last edited:
Top Bottom