• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why was it only Sony that received kickback for attempting to close the PS3 store?

BlackTron

1 - Xbox has had backwards compatibility for a while. So it has lessen the blow of their pushback to people.
And if I'm not mistaken, a lot of Xbox and 360 games will still be available.

I believe every game deserves being preserved, but I'm seperating my opinion here, because I'm talking about the public in general, not me.

2 - Pushing back against Nintendo for doing it, is like pushing back against a serial killer for killing another 20 people.
If they are free, the serial killer will do serial killer things.

Point is, that disgusting disregard towards gaming preservation, is what they have been doing for a LONG time. Nintendo will do Nintendo. They will pet you on the head from time to time, and give you the obvious and super popular older games of theirs on Switch, but beyond that, they don't care.

People feel sad (I literally cried when the 3DS store closed), people feel angry, but at the end of the day, it's Nintendo. They are as anti-art as a gaming company gets (Being against art, WHICH IS WHAT VIDEO GAMES ARE, being preserved, is anti-art). And people know that.

Sony, on the other hand, has nothing.

They don't have backwards compatibility.
And they seem pretty neutral towards gaming preservation.

Which is why people tend to push back audibly to them.
And the fact that they care enough to delay the closure of these stores, shows that your voice matters at least a little bit to them.

You scream to people that listen to you. You talk to people that listen to you.
The ones that don't, some will try, but most will just feel the way they feel, and that's it.

M18jE95.gif

Switch? I have 100+ digital VC games bought on Wii, transferred to WiiU, rebought many games for updated versions, then lost everything because nothing works on Switch.
Result, I don’t trust Nintendo these days. I buy Zelda, Mario, Metroid and skip everything else and never ever buy any indie games because I don’t trust that anything will work on their next platform. They’re the worst. I would rather invest again on Stadia games, I at least got the money back from that.
With Nintendo you have to do it the old school way. Download everything in sd card then keep it alongside old console to play when you want.

But yes, you cannot keep wii forever, you will need to keep a crt as well. But it was much easier on 3ds for me.

GHound

Because while it sucks a fat dick I don't remember the last time I bought a game for a Nintendo system and I haven't bought a 360 game in probably 14 years.
I bought a game for PS3 last week.

know your 'backs':

kickback: an illegal payment intended as compensation for preferential treatment or any other type of improper services received...
blowback: an unforeseen and unwanted effect, result, or set of repercussions...

Three

Because Sony listens I guess.
Only because you had influencers like Jeff Grubb trying to make it seem like some narrative of Jim Ryan doing evil things when it was just run of the mill stuff to close a store for a long discontinued product like everybody else now has done except Playstation. I was trying to calm the outrage to no avail:

And in attempting to pretend that this type of move is just standard operating procedure, you've only highlighted another issue with Sony's approach here: why isn't Sony using a shared service? Why are they stuck in the dark ages, closing stores for entire consoles to cut costs, when they've never made more money then they are making right now?

What are you talking about? Your GFWL analogy would only make sense if GFWL was the online store for an entire console. Xbox Live on the Xbox 360 still works. I can still buy games, DLC, and movies, and my games can still be patched and updated as of right now.

What Sony has done with this type of move is force gamers to ask questions that don't have favourable answers. Why would I buy a PS5DE knowing Sony plans to kill my ability to enjoy content on it in the not-distant-enough future? If Sony are planning on doing that, what else are they planning on doing that I wouldn't like? You only have to ask a handful of these before the narrative around Sony begins to change. That's whats happening in this thread, and the discussion at large.

My GFWL analogy is the exact same as your analogy of Steam killing games prior to 2012. I said this was silly because it actually would happen if there was a specific separate store or platform that nobody was using anymore because of a replacement. An example of that was GFWL . Where people could no longer buy games from that store and anybody who had bought games lost their digital library and ability to download. Did it stop you buying games from MS stores?

If for some reason Steam becomes as little used/irrelevant as GFWL or PS3 became it will have the same fate. However I don't see a reasonable replacement to the Steam store to make it as irrelevant today as those. it would be downright stupid to simply say "lets cut off games from 2012" but if for whatever reason heaven forbid the current Steam store was replaced or became old and not used often don't be suprised if it sees the same fate as GFWL. Barely used game stores get shut down.

I would say "nobody should buy games on Series S/X now?" but I fear people might already be doing that.

With Nintendo you have to do it the old school way. Download everything in sd card then keep it alongside old console to play when you want.

But yes, you cannot keep wii forever, you will need to keep a crt as well. But it was much easier on 3ds for me.
You don't necessarily need a CRT. People are buying Wii HDMI converters. It was a top selling item on amazon in this year (or last) surprisingly.

Mr Moose

1 - Xbox has had backwards compatibility for a while. So it has lessen the blow of their pushback to people.
And if I'm not mistaken, a lot of Xbox and 360 games will still be available.

I believe every game deserves being preserved, but I'm seperating my opinion here, because I'm talking about the public in general, not me.

2 - Pushing back against Nintendo for doing it, is like pushing back against a serial killer for killing another 20 people.
If they are free, the serial killer will do serial killer things.

Point is, that disgusting disregard towards gaming preservation, is what they have been doing for a LONG time. Nintendo will do Nintendo. They will pet you on the head from time to time, and give you the obvious and super popular older games of theirs on Switch, but beyond that, they don't care.

People feel sad (I literally cried when the 3DS store closed), people feel angry, but at the end of the day, it's Nintendo. They are as anti-art as a gaming company gets (Being against art, WHICH IS WHAT VIDEO GAMES ARE, being preserved, is anti-art). And people know that.

Sony, on the other hand, has nothing.

They don't have backwards compatibility.
And they seem pretty neutral towards gaming preservation.

Which is why people tend to push back audibly to them.
And the fact that they care enough to delay the closure of these stores, shows that your voice matters at least a little bit to them.

You scream to people that listen to you. You talk to people that listen to you.
The ones that don't, some will try, but most will just feel the way they feel, and that's it.
PS2 and PS3 have BC. PS5 has BC just not native unless its with PS4 (same with Xbox, that shit ain't native either).

cireza

Xbox have been making a huge effort at carrying over the 360 games to modern consoles. A lot of stuff has been preserved. Can't say as much for PS3 PSP Vita games.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
You'll be surprised how many PS3's and even Vita consoles are still around. PS3 is still somewhat relevant in poorer countries. Wii U or Xbox 360? Not so much.

SHA

Because of what happened to psn back in 2011 that made consumers never forget, that incident at that time made us this way, cause mobile wasn't even a thing, pretty much the distractions from other things was kept at minimum, it was only psn, xbl, pc and laptops, that's it.

Xbl happened much later and no one really cared cause it's a different time.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

No BC for WiiWare, DSiWare, 3DS and Wii U eShop either, good job everyone for proving OP's point.

The Wii U sold like shit and most of the big sellers got released on Switch eventually.(except Xenoblade X, damn you Nintendo).

The PS3 has an amazing library but unfortunately some of them are trapped on the system. The only way to play them on PS5 is paying for PS+ Premium and Cloud versions

Killer8

I know people who are very annoyed that the 360 store is closing - as annoyed as the PS3 attempt.

The difference is that Xbox has less fans, who probably aren't as organised online to push back on it, and who have been placated somewhat by most of the big games being BC on the Series X.

The number of people upset about it are a fart in the wind basically.

nial

The Wii U sold like shit and most of the big sellers got released on Switch eventually.(except Xenoblade X, damn you Nintendo).

The PS3 has an amazing library but unfortunately some of them are trapped on the system. The only way to play them on PS5 is paying for PS+ Premium and Cloud versions
All besides the point.

Three

Xbox have been making a huge effort at carrying over the 360 games to modern consoles. A lot of stuff has been preserved. Can't say as much for PS3 PSP Vita games.
Xbox only has 28% compatibility with the 360 library meaning 72% of the library is incompatible. The BC argument doesn't make much sense for purchases. The benefit of the xbox BC is that games you've already purchased work but on PS/Nintendo a lot of stuff has been remastered and preserved anyway. This doesn't really hold water for a store shutting down purchases only(not downloads) since it would make no difference in the scenario of purchases no longer working on an old store, you can buy those remasters for cheap (on PS at least) on the new store regardless. It's those incompatible games and that older console that get the short end of the stick.

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

Again, another Slimy move by Microsoft. People should be up protesting about this just as much as people did when Sony were announcing the PS3/Vita Store closures.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's no PS3 backwards compatibility so many games can still only be played on it. Even I was thinking of getting one off ebay because of games I can't access any other way. Its not the same with 360 because the majority of well known games are BC and can be played on an xbox one or series consoles.

Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

Quasicat

Switch? I have 100+ digital VC games bought on Wii, transferred to WiiU, rebought many games for updated versions, then lost everything because nothing works on Switch.
Result, I don’t trust Nintendo these days. I buy Zelda, Mario, Metroid and skip everything else and never ever buy any indie games because I don’t trust that anything will work on their next platform. They’re the worst. I would rather invest again on Stadia games, I at least got the money back from that.
You‘re correct that Nintendo sucks at this. I took my sd card from my Wii full of virtual console games and loaded them on my Steam Deck. I’m imagining that the next Switch is backwards compatible but if not, I will take my games that I legally bought and run them on my Steam Deck or a future iteration of it. It’s not ideal, but this keeps my save files consistently on the device that I play those games the most.

cireza

Xbox only has 28% compatibility with the 360 library meaning 72% of the library is incompatible. The BC argument doesn't make much sense for purchases. The benefit of the xbox BC is that games you've already purchased work but on PS/Nintendo a lot of stuff has been remastered and preserved anyway. This doesn't really hold water for a store shutting down purchases only(not downloads) since it would make no difference in the scenario of purchases no longer working on an old store, you can buy those remasters for cheap (on PS at least) on the new store regardless. It's those incompatible games and that older console that get the short end of the stick.
Keep in mind that BC has been held back by publishers and rights owners, not Xbox.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The real reason is that: Half the gaming media loves Nintendo (for good reasons), and the other half is a paid Microsoft mouthpiece that does PR for Xbox.

So the second group cried a river when Sony tried shutting down the PS3 store, which turned into a huge PR nightmare for Sony. But then the same group didn't say anything about the Xbox 360 store, so it didn't become a mainstream issue.

Three

Keep in mind that BC has been held back by publishers and rights owners, not Xbox.

We can blame publishers for there being fewer remasters/ports to newer consoles or BC games. They likely don't see the sales benefit for those lesser known titles but at the end of the day that's secondary, it's xbox that has decided to shut down the store and lose the majority of the 360 games.

cireza

We can blame publishers for there being fewer remasters/ports to newer consoles or BC games. They likely don't see the sales benefit for those lesser known titles but at the end of the day that's secondary, it's xbox that has decided to shut down the store and lose the majority of the 360 games.
Xbox actually tried to carry all this stuff forward, and it was not a half-assed attempt. If publishers don't want to, it sounds perfectly reasonable for them to move forward and close the store because it is certainly not their fault. It is not like they are closing without giving a chance for these games to still exist. What can they do if publishers don't want to license these games ?

Three

Xbox actually tried to carry all this stuff forward, and it was not a half-assed attempt. If publishers don't want to, it sounds perfectly reasonable for them to move forward and close the store because it is certainly not their fault. It is not like they are closing without giving a chance for these games to still exist. What can they do if publishers don't want to license these games ?
Keep the old store open? It's not reasonable, you cannot force somebody to release a product under new terms.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Closing the 3DS store was stupid.

I feel like thats the one store out of the lot that has the most exclusive and inaccessible content.
Yeah, that one is super unfortunate as there are a ton of games that are exclusive to 3DS which aren’t available anywhere else.

That said, it’s great that Sony backed down as PS3 (And Vita to lesser extent) has a great library with some of the games unavailable anywhere else.

There should be more pressure on Nintendo and MS to not do this shit but people don’t care.

There should be more pressure on Nintendo and MS to not do this shit but people don’t care.
Waste of time and energy.

Put more pressure to release everything on steam and other pc stores. That will automatically take care of game preservation.

Pressuring these companies to keep store open is stop gap measure till they can get backwards compatibility sorted.

PS3 store being open in not very useful to me if i cannot use ps5 to access it.

Robb

Gold Member
Xbox is basically dead so there’s no one left to complain.

Nintendo is always crap at any type of online functionality so no one expects anything else than to get screwed over by them.

Three

Maintaining a store is not free. Publishers cannot force Xbox to keep selling their games either.
Of course but this isn't about the publishers, publishers couldn't care less about the deprecated store and cost applies to all companies . If anything the cost is much lower for MS than it is other companies like Nintendo and Sony. Publishers are not forcing or asking xbox to keep it open, consumers would normally be the ones asking much like they did for the PS3. If publishers were making money on the store so would xbox and they wouldn't close. Neither are making much of anything, but all that's beside the point.

Last edited:

cireza

Of course but this isn't about the publishers, publishers couldn't care less about the deprecated store and cost applies to all companies . If anything the cost is much lower for MS than it is other companies like Nintendo and Sony. Publishers are not forcing or asking xbox to keep it open, consumers would normally be the ones asking much like they did for the PS3. If publishers were making money on the store so would xbox and they wouldn't close. Neither are making much of anything, but all that's beside the point.
It is obviously not beside the point, otherwise Xbox wouldn't be closing the store. Every company out there is trying to make a profit, not running a charity. Of course they will close it if it is not profitable at some point. If people don't like this outcome, then maybe they shouldn't have invested in digital games to begin with ? And again, Xbox have showed more than enough goodwill about bringing these games forward.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The real reason is that: Half the gaming media loves Nintendo (for good reasons), and the other half is a paid Microsoft mouthpiece that does PR for Xbox.

So the second group cried a river when Sony tried shutting down the PS3 store, which turned into a huge PR nightmare for Sony. But then the same group didn't say anything about the Xbox 360 store, so it didn't become a mainstream issue.
So the conspiracy theory is that evil Sony tried to deny their customers access to their games and good guy MS stepped in and saved the day for Playstation users?

Quasicat

Wait what you can do that?? Is there a VC games emulator? or are they using regular rom files you can use in Retroarch?
More info please!
I took the original Wii files and ran them through the Dolphin standalone emulator using EmuDeck. It was very straightforward and the it did everything on its own once I put the files in the correct folder. It is weird running N64 games like Paper Mario through Dolphin, but it works great!

Fredrik

I took the original Wii files and ran them through the Dolphin standalone emulator using EmuDeck. It was very straightforward and the it did everything on its own once I put the files in the correct folder. It is weird running N64 games like Paper Mario through Dolphin, but it works great!
Watch out for the Nintendo ninjas now heh but sounds like a nice solution to not just let everything be wasted on dead hardware.
Wii VC was fantastic tbh, even had C64 games, I remember playing The Last Ninja and using a NeoGeo Arcade stick for proper joystick controls. Awesome! 👌

my guess would be because a lot of those games are locked on the PS3.
Where else can you play Resistance 1 and 2, where else can you play Killzone 2, what about the Motor Storm series, how about MGS4, hell what about Infamous 1 and 2 even smaller beloved games like Folklore….. the list kinda go on and on.

I will sell my day one $599.99 PS3 with all these games for $2500… it does hover about an inch and a half off the shelf because of the fans though.

There's no PS3 backwards compatibility so many games can still only be played on it. Even I was thinking of getting one off ebay because of games I can't access any other way. Its not the same with 360 because the majority of well known games are BC and can be played on an xbox one or series consoles.

Pretty much this. It’s not hard to grasp. But I’m sure people are twisting it into some paid media conspiracy.

Quasicat

Watch out for the Nintendo ninjas now heh but sounds like a nice solution to not just let everything be wasted on dead hardware.
Wii VC was fantastic tbh, even had C64 games, I remember playing The Last Ninja and using a NeoGeo Arcade stick for proper joystick controls. Awesome! 👌
It’s the only way I can play the SNES version of SimCity. I would like to play it on the Switch, but the license would be difficult with EA owning Maxis.

It is the price that Sony has to pay after so many years as market leader, some can close the store of two consoles with hardly any complaints like Nintendo, but if Sony does it...

ReBurn

Gold Member

So the second group saved the PS3 store and let the 360 store die. Sounds like the paid Microsoft mouthpiece did PS3 gamers a solid. They saved the PS3 store!

Three

So the second group saved the PS3 store and let the 360 store die. Sounds like the paid Microsoft mouthpiece did PS3 gamers a solid. They saved the PS3 store!
If that "group" actually had any sense to hold MS accountable for anything they might actually do xbox gamers a solid too but that group care more for doing corporate a solid rather than the users. They were too busy trying to paint Playstation in that "anti-consoomer" light back then with silly influencer pieces like this at the very start of the gen:

For the players? Try ‘For the Blockbusters’
Skepticism of Ryan isn’t solely about his focus on profitable software. That is something every company does. But it is notable at Sony because the shift comes while Sony also seems less determined to deliver features that fans want.
on that point, Sony recently announced it is closing the digital stores. Again, Sony is making these decisions to preserve profitability, but it’s also something that a company might decide to do “For the Players” even if it were losing money

Now Phil Spencer goes into crazy cost cutting mode to preserve profitability, shuts down studios and shuts down the 360 store. Where's the skepticism towards Phil and the same rhetoric about the worlds richest company losing even less money to keep the store open like Playstation did? They're too busy trying to again paint losing the majority of the 360 library as some kind of advantage for xbox unsurprisingly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom