• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U external HDD thread

MrBenchmark

Using a powered hub for portable drives will save needing to take up two spots with a y cable. Ive had my setup like this since launch.

It would nice if my 500GB external & Y-cable (I triple checked it was the right one...why does mini and micro USB have to exist) shipped sometime this week...

Kinda offtopic ... but does the WiiU have a "max size" for SD cards ?
For Wii mode use it will be the same as the Wii had so officially 32GB due to FAT32 limitations (3DS is the same but people have gotten SDXC cards of much larger to work via formatting to FAT32). The problem Wii has is older games only support <2GB FAT16 cards (e.g. Brawl) and then the Wii menu has limits on how much can be installed (200 channels visible on SD card menu and 48-unremovable channels on systme menu)

I'm using two old Maxtor HDDs with 80 GB and 160 GB with USB case (external AC power). They work perfectly fine on my Wii U and also on my old Wii.

I also have a Samsung M3 500 GB (no external AC power) that worked fine on my Wii, but is unreliable on the Wii U. It kind of works, but I can't play Guitar Hero because the music gets out of sync. I' believe it will work better on the Wii U with a Y cable.

JoeFu

Banned
So I reformatted the drive using my Mac, plugged it back into the Wii U and during that reformatting process it crashed again giving me the same error number. I guess my only option now is to buy a powered harddrive.

I had the 2 TB version crash on me making me lose all my saves after MK8 came out. Bought a powered one over black Friday weekend, heard there aren't any issues with powered ones and I hope its true. Haven't had a chance to use since I'm out of country atm

Platy

For Wii mode use it will be the same as the Wii had so officially 32GB due to FAT32 limitations (3DS is the same but people have gotten SDXC cards of much larger to work via formatting to FAT32). The problem Wii has is older games only support <2GB FAT16 cards (e.g. Brawl) and then the Wii menu has limits on how much can be installed (200 channels visible on SD card menu and 48-unremovable channels on systme menu)

Hmm ... I was mainly looking for homebrew stuff like retroarch and nintendon't ... but I gues 32gb is enoght

Does anyone have any recommendations/links to HDD's I can use on Amazon UK?
I don't really want to pay a lot for one, nor do I need a large one, because I get most of my games physically, and don't buy much off the eShop. Patches and DLC are taking chunks out of my Wii U's hard drive space though, and considering I have the Basic I'm currently juggling installs at the moment.

The Nintendo UK page on them is mentioning huge 1-2TB sizes for like £70+, which is pointless for me. Are there any say 120GB or so (maybe even smaller if possible, but certainly not much larger) ones that are compatible with the Wii U?

Does anyone have any recommendations/links to HDD's I can use on Amazon UK?
I don't really want to pay a lot for one, nor do I need a large one, because I get most of my games physically, and don't buy much off the eShop. Patches and DLC are taking chunks out of my Wii U's hard drive space though, and considering I have the Basic I'm currently juggling installs at the moment.

The Nintendo UK page on them is mentioning huge 1-2TB sizes for like £70+, which is pointless for me. Are there any say 120GB or so (maybe even smaller if possible, but certainly not much larger) ones that are compatible with the Wii U?
With most HDDs now you're paying more for the components that are used to make them than the storage. It makes more sense to buy a 1TB from a pricing standpoint.

foltzie1

With most HDDs now you're paying more for the components that are used to make them than the storage. It makes more sense to buy a 1TB from a pricing standpoint.

Indeed. The only reason to go for a smaller size is if you are using a SSD, which for the Wii U offers little other than perhaps playing nice with a single USB port

Thread is so confusing so I apolgize for being tech illeterate but why the need for a Y-cable?

With my xbox one, i just format, plug via usb and good to go. Is it not that simple with the Wii U?

No, the Xbox One has USB 3.0 ports, which provide enough power for the USB drives without needing an external power supply.

The Wii U only has USB 2.0 ports, which don't provide enough power. So you either need a drive with its own power supply, or a Y cable which draws power from 2 x USB ports to provide enough juice!

Has anyone used a SD card with a USB adapter for Wii U storage?
DON'T. One persons experiences recounted it getting very warm. IIRC Tunalover used this and it broke meaning he lost of all of his saves (even the disc based games because external=default location once it exists).

No, the Xbox One has USB 3.0 ports, which provide enough power for the USB drives without needing an external power supply.

The Wii U only has USB 2.0 ports, which don't provide enough power. So you either need a drive with its own power supply, or a Y cable which draws power from 2 x USB ports to provide enough juice!
FYI the power a USB port can provide is independent of it being 1.1, 2.0. or 3.0. The USB bus on the Wii U is underpowered (lol what isn't on the Wii U?), or rather the ports are of the lower power variety, it is as simple as that, hence it needs two USB ports. Some laptops have the same problem.

FYI the power a USB port can provide is independent of it being 1.1, 2.0. or 3.0. The USB bus on the Wii U is underpowered (lol what isn't on the Wii U?), or rather the ports are of the lower power variety, it is as simple as that, hence it needs two USB ports. Some laptops have the same problem.

Cheers, didn't know that! :)

I thought the different spec USB ports had different outputs Doh! lol

Indeed. The only reason to go for a smaller size is if you are using a SSD, which for the Wii U offers little other than perhaps playing nice with a single USB port
Interesting. So you can use an external SSD drive with a standard USB cable, and no power supply, which no need for a Y cable?

d00d3n

Interesting. So you can use an external SSD drive with a standard USB cable, and no power supply, which no need for a Y cable?

Not necessarily. My 250-or-so-Gb ssd in a 2.5" chassi required a Y cable to function properly. It may be related to ssd memory size I guess, but I haven't tried with a smaller ssd.

foltzie1

I have a USB cable that connects to an SSD that has always ran the SSDs just fine. I haven't tried it with the Wii U yet, as I'm one of the dangerous ones using a USB stick (tiny one that blends in with the console).

So, I got a hard drive for my Wii U for Christmas, which is great, but I'm not sure it will work. It's a Western Digital MyBook, which is on the list of supported hard drives, but it's 3 TB, which isn't listed as a compatible size. Does anyone know if it would still work? If not, I would happily trade it in somewhere for a smaller one, as I know I'll never ever ever download 3 terabytes of WiiU games.

foltzie1

So, I got a hard drive for my Wii U for Christmas, which is great, but I'm not sure it will work. It's a Western Digital MyBook, which is on the list of supported hard drives, but it's 3 TB, which isn't listed as a compatible size. Does anyone know if it would still work? If not, I would happily trade it in somewhere for a smaller one, as I know I'll never ever ever download 3 terabytes of WiiU games.

It should work, but the Wii U will only use 2TB at this time.

NateDog

I just got a Basic WiiU this week, going to go for a Western Digital My Passport Ultra 500GB and a Y cable, hope that will be fine. Was looking at the 1TB ones (Samsung and WD) but even though they're only a little more expensive since I have nothing at all for the WiiU I can't really afford the extra £10 or so since I need to buy a few motes and whatnot.

Thanks, everyone! It stinks that that 1 TB will just be unusable, but maybe someone will figure it out someday.

If you have a smaller drive in your PC, you could clone it to the 3TB and install that one in your PC. Then install the one from your PC in the WD enclosure to use with your Wii U.

I have a USB cable that connects to an SSD that has always ran the SSDs just fine. I haven't tried it with the Wii U yet, as I'm one of the dangerous ones using a USB stick (tiny one that blends in with the console).
How's the USB stick doing for you? I'm curious to see a picture of this tiny one you mention.

Thanks.

openrob

OK does anyone else have the issue that the HDD won't work with the Y cable unless plugged into the front USB ports. If plugged into the back it wont get enough power.

I'm using this one now: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLEODCK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've used the USB2 one in 32GB before, I've had no issues with either, though the 64GB does seem to populate the GUI a touch slower than before.
Thanks for this. Damn, it does look neat, and very discreet. I wish there was a 128GB one.

How is it when loading / running games etc.? Do you think there's a risk of damaging your console if the USB stick got fried? How long have you been using it for?

Sorry for the 101 questions.

foltzie1

Thanks for this. Damn, it does look neat, and very discreet. I wish there was a 128GB one.

How is it when loading / running games etc.? Do you think there's a risk of damaging your console if the USB stick got fried? How long have you been using it for?

Sorry for the 101 questions.

Nintendo outright says that flash based media is not approved for the Wii U, this includes USB sticks and SSDs. They claim that the rewrites of the Wii U filesystem will wear out the flash based media too quickly and result in system errors and as a result lost saves and a need to re-download games. Thus all external medial should be HDD based (and externally powered).

That is Nintendo's position. My position is the Wii U uses flash based media inside the system and it works well enough for Nintendo to use it in the console and thus I am willing to use a flash based media as my expansion media (Note: I'm using highly rated USB stick to reduce some risk). Once I made that decision, I decided to get a 32GB stick, then a 64GB stick while I waited on future storage options from Nintendo. When I run out of space on the 64GB stick I'll have to decide what to do next, be it a larger stick, SSD, or a HDD.

Regarding the stick I used, it is low profile and blends in to the back of the console and is almost small enough to use on the front of the console and close the flap, with the flap left down it barely sticks out.

I guess this is the best thread for this.

I got $51.14 left of my Christmas money, so can anyone recommend me a good hard drive to use with the Wii U for around that price? (probably should be a bit less cause of tax and stuff)

I'd really like to use Amazon and I guess the drive would need to have an external power supply.

I don't really need 1TB, so a 500GB should be fine. (I've never bought an external hard drive, so I don't really know which ones are good, which are shit, especially when it comes to the Wii U)

flux1

I got a Monster Overdrive 128gb USB SSD at Sam's Club for $30 yesterday and it worked fine without needing any extra power.

With DDP gone I don't see myself getting many more digital games, and I only had 88 gigs worth of stuff installed, so this should last me a while.

So my Wii U somehow stopped access to my Toshiba 2GB powered external hdd after the latest update.

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem but I won't be able to contact support in time tonight which is a total bummer.

The light is on and the games show on the quick start menu but they are not accessible to play and the drive isn't even showing up in data management.

It was working before the update.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So I have a 300GB Western Digital Passbook (kind of older) USB 2.0 external hard drive. I got a Y cable and the Wii U seems to recognize it's there and asks me to format it. However, it keeps saying the device could not be formatted. Any tips?

So I have my Sandisk Ultra Fit 64 GB USB stick. Do I need to format it to FAT32 before using in the Wii U or can the Wii U format it automatically?

Thanks.

So I have my Sandisk Ultra Fit 64 GB USB stick. Do I need to format it to FAT32 before using in the Wii U or can the Wii U format it automatically?

Thanks.

If you use it please don't make a thread about your lost data later on. They are not made for a constant rewrite and are not recommended.

ZeroX03

Banned
Stuck my old 160GB PS3 HDD in a caddy with a Y cable. Works perfectly because I didn't need that much space for digital Wii U stuff, mostly just the Wii games I'm picking up digitally and a few promo freebies like Mario & Sonic Olympics. Good to not waste an old HDD.

Tommy DJ

How well do USB hubs work? What I have right now is the following:
- 2.5" HDD for vWii
- 2.5" HDD for Wii U
- Gamecube adapter

The problem I foresee is that, via a hub, the external HDD will remain on permanently. Is there a USB hub that has a relay or something along those lines? So basically the HDD only turns on when the Wii U's USB port is active?

Steph_E.

I think I know the answer to my question, but would like confirmation before I splash out any money. Would a mains-powered USB hub mean I would only need one USB port on the Wii U for a HDD?

Garou

I put my Crucial m4 128GB in a USB-case and tried using only a single port. Didn't work out, the Wii U crashed when I tried to move 3 games over, destroying one of the games files in the process. So use a Y-cable.

Ban Puncher

Bought a Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB Portable Drive (figured 1TB was enough fridge space and got it for a really good price). Plugged it into the Wii U, recognised and could format but could not move data onto it. Used a USB 3.0 Y connector and everything works fine now.

Thanks for the info about the Y connectors, thread.

Thanks for the info about the Y connectors, thread.

I second this. Thanks for that very useful info, thread.

A couple of days ago, I grabbed a spare Hitachi 250 GB hard drive I rescued from my dead laptop. I put it in a hard drive enclosure I bought a long time ago from NewEgg. Used a Y-cable to hook it up to the U. I'm not sure if this is a future-proof configuration, but boy does it work like a charm at the moment! I played about 1/2 hour of Metroid Prime with no issues whatsoever.

Zimmy68

I also hit the max space with the Metroid purchase.

The thought of powering a huge, 3.5 enclosure for the few times I use my Wii U is crazy.
Looks like I will go the Y cable route.

Thanks Nintendo for cheaping out.
How much more would it cost to have some regular powered USB outlets?

foltzie1

I also hit the max space with the Metroid purchase.

The thought of powering a huge, 3.5 enclosure for the few times I use my Wii U is crazy.
Looks like I will go the Y cable route.

Thanks Nintendo for cheaping out.
How much more would it cost to have some regular powered USB outlets?

The USB ports provide the defined power output under USB 2.0, but not higher like a lot of mobile charges, ect.

Sadly USB 3.0 was too new/pricey hence the trouble being seen now.

Here is hoping that USB 3.1 and Type-C are far enough along for the next handheld/console cycle.

Actually, my PS3 just died. Can I use the HDD from that and use it as an external for the Wii U? I was thinking of putting the HDD inside something like this?

Top Bottom