• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U external HDD thread

Pandy

Running the standard 500GB PS4 HDD in a caddy via a Y-cable with no issues.
(Upgraded the PS4 to a 1TB hybrid)

Had tried running a Toshiba Canvio USB3.0, but it caused fairly regular system crashing when returning to the home menu. I think older versions are on the official approved list, but I'd give the brand a wide berth for WiiU use.

Since the Wii U doesn't allow 2 usb devices to be connected at one time, how do I go about transferring data on a flash drive to a hard drive? I have Wii U saves on a flash drive and I want to stop using the flash drive and migrate to a hard drive. Can I format the hard drive on the Wii U and then use Disk Utility on a Mac to clone the flash drive to the hard drive?

jimi_dini

Since the Wii U doesn't allow 2 usb devices to be connected at one time, how do I go about transferring data on a flash drive to a hard drive? I have Wii U saves on a flash drive and I want to stop using the flash drive and migrate to a hard drive. Can I format the hard drive on the Wii U and then use Disk Utility on a Mac to clone the flash drive to the hard drive?

???

I used a USB stick and then migrated to a regular external harddrive. Connected both at the same time. Was able to easily copy/move between those two.

Sure, both have to be formatted for Wii U. And I doubt that cloning the drives would work. Wii U uses a properitary file system.

Actually you can transfer from 2 usb devices on the wii U since one of the big updates from last year. You should be able to do it from the system menu.

I could have sworn I tried that last month! Maybe I need to disconnect the flash drive and format the hard drive first and then connect them both at the same time. I'll try it again later. Thanks!

I could have sworn I tried that last month! Maybe I need to disconnect the flash drive and format the hard drive first and then connect them both at the same time. I'll try it again later. Thanks!
I did it last month when I migrated from my 500GB with Y cable to my 2TB with AC power.

So, just an FYI, I did have to turn off the Wii console, remove the USB stick, and then format the hard drive before reconnecting the USB stick so that I could transfer over my save data. Now, I just wish the Wii U stopped its proprietary format for drives/devices so that I could backup my saves in the off chance the drive dies or the Wii U or drive gets stolen. I love that on the PS3/PS4 I can copy all my saves to a normal FAT32 drive as backup.

I am thinking about collecting some loading time data for extended load times with an SSD vs the stock internal drive of the Wii U. Anyone have any recommendations for long load times from this list? I actually don't get to use my Wii U that often other than Hyrule Warriors.

Bayo
Bayo 2
Pikmin 3
3D World
Super Mario Bros. U
Wind Waker
Tekken Tag
Donkey Kong Country
Hyrule Warriors
Mario Kart 8

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is there any options out there that's like 500gb (or 350 I suppose) and around $50?

I'd pick that up tomorrow especially ifs from Amazon.
But wasn't sure what fits the bill when I searched

I got bored and did some rough DKC numbers. To be honest I am the surprised the numbers were closer than I expected. Even accounting for a possible placebo effect it still appears small quick loads seem to have the most perceptible difference in speed. Icons, saves, texture pop ins, etc.. I don't have the capability to measure the shorter ones with any reasonable accuracy however.

I installed on the flash internal and an external SSD. Each drive got one untimed run after install and then 5 timed runs.

Wii U Menu -> Press Start Screen
Internal Flash-----SSD
32.41-----30.51
32.59-----30.00
31.71-----30.08
31.87-----30.01
31.71-----30.17

Play SP -> Clouds -> Island Select
Internal Flash-----SSD
14.26-----14.97
15.07-----14.88
18.82-----14.15
18.41-----14.18
18.44-----15.76

Island Select -> 1.1 Start
Internal Flash-----SSD
14.53-----11.78
12.37-----12.20
12.05-----12.34
12.60-----12.72
12.80-----13.24

1.1 -> Exit To Island Select
Internal Flash-----SSD
14.82-----13.44
14.66-----13.45
14.65-----13.40
14.68-----13.48
14.66-----13.43

Island Select -> Clouds -> Quit To Main Menu
Internal Flash-----SSD
13.24-----11.59
12.98-----11.58
13.62-----11.44
13.47-----11.63
15.25-----11.62

sntstbn

Neo Member
I'm going to join the reckless who use a thumb drive for storage.

Is there a way to back up stuff, or is prayer the only way?

The Hermit

My external HD (Iomega, old as hell) died with DK Tropical Freeze and 3D World. I lost the saves right?

Its kinda shitty since I wanted to 100% DKTF, but it could be much, much worse... I could lose all my progress in Bayonetta and over 150 hours of Monster Hunter, which would basically mean my eternal retirement in that game.

So I am out of HD and cash so I going to use a 64GB Cruzer glide. I heard people saying good things about it... too risky?

Can anyone recommend a decent and cheap hard drive enclosure on Amazon or eBay UK?

I've got an old PS3 drive lying around I want to use, but I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for to make it compatible.

Neifirst

Won't ever touch Toshiba hardware again, as tempting as that price is. Their laptops were junk and cost me so much money before I wised up and switched brands. (Best Buy kept pushing them on me.)

How reliable are their harddrives?
I've been using that exact drive with my wii u since April without any issues. I saw in the best buy circular that it goes on sale for 44.99 beginning Nov. 23rd., in store and online.

foltzie1

Has anyone use a USB to SSD connector on the Wii U?

I've been using a 32gb Sandisk Cruizer and I'm upgrading to a 64gb soon. But I think I'll hit the limit of 64gb in the next year.

VARIA

I just purchased one of these from Amazon:

KJrnInu.png

Are these reliable for Wii U extended storage (Wii U games mainly). The Nintendo site specifically states that it recommends an external HDD with a power source, yet I keep hearing people using regular USB drives for increased storage.

HUELEN10

Are these reliable for Wii U extended storage (Wii U games mainly). The Nintendo site specifically states that it recommends an external HDD with a power source, yet I keep hearing people using regular USB drives for increased storage.
As seen in post 641 and countless others, please don't use flash drives!

.J.

Banned
Sorry to post another question without having a response to anyone else's, but this is something that's confused me about hard drive use and which I haven't been able to find a good answer to. (probably real dumb, but at least it's easy to answer)

When using an external harddrive, do you play games directly off of the harddrive, or do you have to go in and manage data to switch a game from the harddrive to the wiiu's drive?

So for instance, let's say I move Rayman Legends to the external because I beat it, but a few months later I get a hankering for a music level. Do I have to go through a big process of deleting, say, SSB and MK8 and ZombiU from the Wii U's drive before transferring over, or can I just play it without an extra steps?

ChopperNewt

Neo Member
Sorry to post another question without having a response to anyone else's, but this is something that's confused me about hard drive use and which I haven't been able to find a good answer to. (probably real dumb, but at least it's easy to answer)

When using an external harddrive, do you play games directly off of the harddrive, or do you have to go in and manage data to switch a game from the harddrive to the wiiu's drive?

So for instance, let's say I move Rayman Legends to the external because I beat it, but a few months later I get a hankering for a music level. Do I have to go through a big process of deleting, say, SSB and MK8 and ZombiU from the Wii U's drive before transferring over, or can I just play it without an extra steps?

Games stored on the hard drive can be played from there. You don't have to move stuff around. I put an old 1TB drive on my Wii U and I love it, no fuss no muss, just a ton of storage.

.J.

Banned
Games stored on the hard drive can be played from there. You don't have to move stuff around. I put an old 1TB drive on my Wii U and I love it, no fuss no muss, just a ton of storage.

That's awesome news! Thanks for the reply. I'll probably order a 1TB after the holidays so I can get back to impulse plays of DKCR and Rayman.

People do it, but don't be surprised if it reaches it's read/write limit and dies. People will say that it doesn't matter and won't happen, but there have been a few threads here on Neogaf where people lost their data using them. You can redownload your games, but your save data is lost forever.

foltzie1

People do it, but don't be surprised if it reaches it's read/write limit and dies. People will say that it doesn't matter and won't happen, but there have been a few threads here on Neogaf where people lost their data using them. You can redownload your games, but your save data is lost forever.

I'm one of those who are risking it, but it doesn't seem that much more risky than using an SSD. You are right thought, when sticks fail, they tend to fail hard.

I may have to try out a SSD on a USB cable and see if that works. I've certainly done that to setup a SSD.

I'm one of those who are risking it, but it doesn't seem that much more risky than using an SSD. You are right thought, when sticks fail, they tend to fail hard.

I may have to try out a SSD on a USB cable and see if that works. I've certainly done that to setup a SSD.
I bought the 2TB Buffalo drive mentioned on the Nintendo website. I've had no issues. My system used to lock up when I used my Iomega with Y cable or the memory stick I started with.

Malyse

I beat Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors, and am most of the way through Smash and MK8 on a $25 PNY 64gb memory stick. I know it says external hard drive, but I've had zero issues thus far.

If you're looking for a new external drive for Smash, Amazon Warehouse Deals has this Toshiba 1TB drive for cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J7YBRW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$50.87 with prime shipping.

I've been using the 2TB version of this with a Y cable but lately it's been giving me constant errors. Anyone know what's up with this?

Edit:

This is getting ridiculous now, I can't go more than 10 minutes without getting error code: 160-2713.

I've been using the 2TB version of this with a Y cable but lately it's been giving me constant errors. Anyone know what's up with this?

Edit:

This is getting ridiculous now, I can't go more than 10 minutes without getting error code: 160-2713.
I had the same issue when I was using a Y cable. I'm running on external power now and have had no issues since the switch.

I am tempted to get a Wii U now that there are games. But the external USB thing puts me off.
Do you find the console slow when loading? Do you think nintendo will release a Wii U with internal HDD anytime soon?

LoveCake

I am tempted to get a Wii U now that there are games. But the external USB thing puts me off.
Do you find the console slow when loading? Do you think nintendo will release a Wii U with internal HDD anytime soon?

I have had a WiIU since launch & also had a 2.5" WD 320GB Passport connected to it via a "Y" cable, the WiiU is faster now because of updates but it has & will never be the fastest loading console, it is as fast as it is & that's it.

No Nintendo won't be releasing a version with a internal HDD anytime, reason being it has lasted two years without one, it gives people the option to decide on what size HD to get & keep the price down, i got a PS4 & as soon as i took it out of the box i took out the HDD & put in a 1TB SSHD so i have a 500GB drive that will never get used, better to have sold the PS4 without a HDD imo.

I have had zero issues with using a external HDD with my WiiU, people using a external HDD on their X1 are in the same situation really & any HDD can break at any point as well, i don't think there is a need to go crazy on WiiU storage as you don't need to install on the HDD unless you have the games digitally, where the PS4/X1 make you install on the console, so a 500GB is more than enough for a WiiU imo.

Don't let something like the HDD put you off from getting a WiiU & enjoying the games, millions of people have a WiiU & external HDD & the amount of people with a problem is tiny & 99% of those people the problem will be a failed HDD.

I had the same issue when I was using a Y cable. I'm running on external power now and have had no issues since the switch.

Damn, I really don't want to bother getting another external hard drive for this. Any idea if formatting the hard drive and starting over again would help?

jimi_dini

Why?

Do you find the console slow when loading?

It works just like internal memory. There is no difference.
You have to use an actual external harddrive though.

Do you think nintendo will release a Wii U with internal HDD anytime soon?

They won't. Why should they? Wii U does it the proper way. People, who don't want to buy DLC or games digitally won't have to pay for an internal HDD. On Wii U there are no installations, which means if you go physical w/o buying lots of DLC and stuff like that, you don't need an external drive. And people, who do want all of that can simply decide for themselves how much space they actually want.

I bought a 80GB PS3 and because of all the shitty installations, patches and all of that I had to upgrade within a very short time to 500GB. Which means I actually had to buy 2 harddrives instead of just one.

So I reformatted the drive using my Mac, plugged it back into the Wii U and during that reformatting process it crashed again giving me the same error number. I guess my only option now is to buy a powered harddrive.

So I reformatted the drive using my Mac, plugged it back into the Wii U and during that reformatting process it crashed again giving me the same error number. I guess my only option now is to buy a powered harddrive.

Have you tried updating your hard drive to the latest firmware?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm a dummy and didn't search for this thread before getting a non-powered drive. Now I have data stuck on that drive because there was apparently enough power to get the data there, but not to transfer it from there to my new, plugged in drive.

Anybody have a possible solution for that?

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
I'm eagerly awaiting the mailman to bring me my Y cable tomorrow. I made the stupid mistake of buying a 1TB drive (Toshiba Canvio) without it. My Wii U wrote all my saves to it, but it crashed when trying to read.

I'm praying everything will be okay.

EDIT: Sorry if this has been asked, but is there anyway to backup my save files on PC? For safe keeping

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm eagerly awaiting the mailman to bring me my Y cable tomorrow. I made the stupid mistake of buying a 1TB drive (Toshiba Canvio) without it. My Wii U wrote all my saves to it, but it crashed when trying to read.

I'm praying everything will be okay.

Brother!

Top Bottom