• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U external HDD thread

MarkusRJR

without have to read al 12 pages, i have a quick question ?

Can i combine Wiiu and Xbox one external hdd on one drive?
So for example i buy a 2 tb drive and i save all my xbox one data and wii u data in it. If i want to plax xbox one i plug the external drive in it, and vica verse with the wii u. Is this possible?
The Wii U formats the entire drive and only let's you use it with the Wii U. Not sure if there's way to partition the hard drive so that it would make it work for both.

jimi_dini

I have a 1tb Toshiba USB 3.0 hard drive. Had weird issues with the included normal cable and ended up getting a Y-cable. Now it works fine. Honestly you should probably just get the Y-cable since they're so cheap anyway. Better to be safe than sorry.

Does your harddrive use the same port like the one shown in my photo? If so, could you please tell me, if I really need a Micro-B USB cable or a Mini-B USB cable? I think it should be Micro-B, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Would this here work?
c8V8LCi.jpg

I have just ordered the harddrive, but I don't want to wait for it to arrive before ordering the right cable.

If those harddrives use the same plug as the Wii U Pro controllers, then I have plenty of cables here. Which means I would just need a USB 2.0 Standard Y cable.

MarkusRJR

Does your harddrive use the same port like the one shown in my photo? If so, could you please tell me, if I really need a Micro-B USB cable or a Mini-B USB cable? I think it should be Micro-B, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Would this here work?
c8V8LCi.jpg

I have just ordered the harddrive, but I don't want to wait for it to arrive before ordering the right cable.
My hard drive has the same port as the picture on the last page (Micro-B). You should probably make sure though (in case it's some other more obscure cable type).

That Y-cable looks like a Micro USB to USB cable though, so that'd be the wrong type of cable (assuming your hard drive has a Micro-B port) You need a Micro-B USB to USB Y-cable.

Here's what I bought (notice the notch in the middle, like on the port in the picture of the hard drive you posted): http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005M0ICG2/

jimi_dini

My hard drive has the same port as the picture on the last page (Micro-B). You should probably make sure though (in case it's some other more obscure cable type).

Do you own a Wii U Pro controller? Does the same cable fit into the harddrive? I think those should be Micro-B. Which means I could use one of those and an additional USB 2.0 Y cable. Who in the hell though all those different connector types would be a good idea, it's so confusing and what's worse all sorts of descriptions are not accurate on ebay :/

MarkusRJR

Do you own a Wii U Pro controller? Does the same cable fit into the harddrive? I think those should be Micro-B. Which means I could use one of those and an additional USB 2.0 Y cable.
The pro controller uses plain mini USB cables, so no it wouldn't fit. Also note that micro USB and micro-B USB are different cables.

You should only need a single Micro-B USB to USB Y-cable (like the link I posted in my last post), there shouldn't be a need for a second cable at all.

EDIT: Since you mentioned eBay I went and found the same cable I'm using on mine. You should be able to just plug the Micro-B end into your hard drive (assuming it's a Micro-B port on your hard drive, make sure before buying), and then plug the two USB plugs into the back of your Wii U.

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/151395117192

Note: You can probably find cheaper cables on eBay, that's just the one I'm using.

jimi_dini

The pro controller uses plain mini USB cables, so no it wouldn't fit. Also note that micro USB and micro-B USB are different cables.

Ok, some sites said that it would be Micro USB.

I'm from Europe, that's why I don't want to use amazon Canada for ordering and it's a pain to find them here. Some sites say "Micro-B cable", but actually show a Mini-B cable. It's crazy.

It seems Micro-B to regular USB 2.0 including Y cable are way more expensive. The one that I found was 9EUR.

EDIT: Ha, I think I finally found a proper one. Looks like yours for 3.80EUR.
v17wMI5.jpg

MarkusRJR

Ok, some sites said that it would be Micro USB.

I'm from Europe, that's why I don't want to use amazon Canada for ordering and it's a pain to find them here.

It seems Micro-B to regular USB 2.0 including Y cable are way more expensive. The one that I found was 9EUR.

I think I found the right converter cable.
tNCPTn3.jpg

This should work, right? And then an additional Y cable.
Why do you need a converter cable? USB 3.0 cables should scale down to USB 2.0 iirc. My USB 3.0 hard drive with the USB 3.0 micro-B to USB y-cable I posted work fine.

Do you have the hard drive with you right now? If not you should be able to see of your hard drive is micro or micro-B by the shape of the port (whether is has a notch in it or not). If that picture on the last page is accurate, it's probably micro-B and not normal micro.

EDIT: The new one you posted looks exactly like mine. Should work; assuming your hard drive is using micro-B (read prior paragraph if not sure).

jimi_dini

Why do you need a converter cable?

Because the only cable that I could find was way more expensive. I edited my post, I found a cable, that looks like yours and is around that price.

Do you have the hard drive with you right now?

Like I said, no. I just ordered the drive. But the photo should be accurate. It's from the one, that I ordered.

MarkusRJR

Because the only cable that I could find was way more expensive. I edited my post, I found a cable, that looks like yours and is around that price.

Like I said, no. I just ordered the drive. But the photo should be accurate. It's from the one, that I ordered.
Yeah, you should be good with that cable you just found. :)

jimi_dini

Cable arrived today. HDD arrived today.

HDD even came with a USB3 -> USB Standard cable, but it wasn't a Y cable. Works perfectly (at least for now).

The model is: Toshiba Stor.E Alu 2S Silver 500GB

Alright so you apparently need the storage space available to buy something off the eShop, so to use my MK8 free game code I've had lying around I need to finally buy a HDD (gonna need one soon anyway for DLCs and stuff seeing my 8gb Wii U is pretty much filled from updates).

So, being quite computer illiterate, this USB powered, and Y cable and AC adapter business it confusing me.

From what I understand, if I don't want to jump through any additional hoops and just want to plug in and go, I need a non-USB powered HDD?

Looking at JB's website (an Australian retailer) I found this one: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/seagate/seagate-expansion-2tb-desktop-hard-drive/88687/

2TB is way overkill when I'm going to use like 50gb over the Wii U's life, but they don't make them small these days.
So would this one work? Going to go in and buy Theatrhythm, Hyrule Warriors and Fantasy Life on Sunday so think I'll pick up the HDD too.

Alright so you apparently need the storage space available to buy something off the eShop, so to use my MK8 free game code I've had lying around I need to finally buy a HDD (gonna need one soon anyway for DLCs and stuff seeing my 8gb Wii U is pretty much filled from updates).

So, being quite computer illiterate, this USB powered, and Y cable and AC adapter business it confusing me.

From what I understand, if I don't want to jump through any additional hoops and just want to plug in and go, I need a non-USB powered HDD?

Looking at JB's website (an Australian retailer) I found this one: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/seagate/seagate-expansion-2tb-desktop-hard-drive/88687/

2TB is way overkill when I'm going to use like 50gb over the Wii U's life, but they don't make them small these days.
So would this one work? Going to go in and buy Theatrhythm, Hyrule Warriors and Fantasy Life on Sunday so think I'll pick up the HDD too.
I'd say avoid it, Seagate drives have a pretty bad survival rate compared to other makers and the one you linked has built in power saving features. That means it'll shut itself down and you'll need to disconnect/reconnect to get the WiiU yo recognize it again.

Mithos

Gold Member

HDD even came with a USB3 -> USB Standard cable, but it wasn't a Y cable. Works perfectly (at least for now).

I would personally hookup the Y cable to get the extra power from a second USB.

I would personally hookup the Y cable to get the extra power from a second USB.

This needs to be reiterated. You don't want a game to decide it needs to really push the drive by loading a new area while saving and the drive stop working due to lack if power. Best case scenario, your game freezes. Worst case your data is corrupted.

Also, flash drive users should acknowledge that they're playing with a time bomb. Sure it works, but don't be surprised when it reaches it's read/write limit and you lose everything. They don't put good NAND in thumb drives, and if you're buying one that does have good NAND, you could buy an HDD with more storage for a cheaper price.

I'd say avoid it, Seagate drives have a pretty bad survival rate compared to other makers and the one you linked has built in power saving features. That means it'll shut itself down and you'll need to disconnect/reconnect to get the WiiU yo recognize it again.

What brand would you recommend? The only other one with a decent selection on that site is WD, but the cheapest one that isn't USB-powered is $140 D:

The Boat

How did you disable auto-sleep, by attaching the HDD to a PC and running a software or from the Wii U itself**?

** Settings -> Data Management (stay on the copy/format page) press down on d-pad and + and - hold for a few seconds.
Yeah I did it on the Wii U.

What brand would you recommend? The only other one with a decent selection on that site is WD, but the cheapest one that isn't USB-powered is $140 D:

Western Digital and Hitachi are good brands. Do a google search for Backblaze HDD failure rates.

You may also be able to get a better deal if you buy an internal hard drive and a cheap enclosure. (external/portable hard drives are just internal drives placed in an enclosure by the manufacturer.)

Also, why are you avoiding USB powered? A Y cable works fine for power delivery and you don't have to dig behind your entertainment center or lose a power outlet.

I use a Y cable and have had no issues.

Editting this: I did start to have issues with my Y cable. I switched to a powered HDD and all is well.

Western Digital and Hitachi are good brands. Do a google search for Backblaze HDD failure rates.

You may also be able to get a better deal if you buy an internal hard drive and a cheap enclosure. (external/portable hard drives are just internal drives placed in an enclosure by the manufacturer.)

Also, why are you avoiding USB powered? A Y cable works fine for power delivery and you don't have to dig behind your entertainment center or lose a power outlet.

I use a Y cable and have had no issues.

Where can I get a Y cable from? All I can find are ones on eBay from Hong Kong, China etc which may or may not be dodgy. Looking at Australian retailers sites I can't find any.

If I do find one something cheaper like this would be fine? https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...ultra-500gb-portable-hard-drive-black/520975/

Where can I get a Y cable from? All I can find are ones on eBay from Hong Kong, China etc which may or may not be dodgy. Looking at Australian retailers sites I can't find any.

If I do find one something cheaper like this would be fine? https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...ultra-500gb-portable-hard-drive-black/520975/

Sure, or something like this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

and this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=SATA_enclosure-_-9SIA32C1HU5577-_-Product

You connect the USB piece to SATA end of the hard drive, then insert it into the enclosure. The enclosure comes with a Y cable.

You don't have to buy those exact items, but it could give you an idea of what's available.

Eh, I'd rather not do it that way.

It's actually quite hard to find Y cable's that are 3 standard USBs lol, found this one on eBay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-USB-...89?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item2a0aa50b8d

That price makes me think there's something wrong with it, but hey, who cares if there is, I'll only be down $1.84 :p

Edit: found this one, looks more legit and ships locally from Aus
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Male-USB...45?pt=AU_CablesConnectors&hash=item1c45e6b1a1

If your external drive has a standard USB on it, then either of those should work fine. That said, I haven't seen many externals that don't have miniB or microB USB ports.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I have a Western Digital 320GB "My Passport" drive hooked up with a Y cable.

Generally, it works fine, however I've been having a problem with the system "freezing" (?) at start up. A good 60-70% of the time, turning the system on (using Gamepad or the power button) the system appears to freeze on a black screen. If I hold the power button down to turn the system off, then restart it, it works fine.

This started with the firmware update providing the "Quick Start" Gamepad menu, and I'm tempted to believe it has something to do with external storage, simply because I can picture the drive being "woken up" after the initial start, but not being ready at first boot.

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

I got a spare laptop drive now that mine crapped out. If I rip it out and toss it in an enclosure, could I use it on my Wii U with a Y cable? Would I need a Y cable? I'm guessing yes.

I'd check it out on the WD website. That's not standard USB.

http://store.westerndigital.com/sto...d.38666100/catid.38669700/categoryID.64512900

looks like USB 3.0 microB

Well then, this one :p

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-Y-Ca...?pt=AU_Laptop_Accessories&hash=item58b5b167fc
(Edit: Hang on mini-B and micro-B are different, let me keep searching...)

Estimated between Mon. 29 Sep. and Mon. 6 Oct.

Mario Kart 8 Bonus Game Promotion
The claimed download code expires at 23:59 (AEST) on September 30th 2014.

Hmmmm.

Going to go in and buy the harddrive now to be 100% sure what cable it needs, and I guess I'll ask the guy at the store if he knows anywhere locally I can get a Y cable so I know I'll get it in time to redeem my Monster Hunter code :p

Hey GAF! Okay, so I've read most of this thread to know what's the best External HDD to buy. I have less than 2.5 GB on my Wii U at the moment. With MK8 DLC and DKCR:TR on sale for $30, I need more space. So wanted to know if any of these are good options for external drives:

Toshiba Canvio 1.0 TB USB 3.0 Basics Portable Hard Drive
Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0
Seagate - Backup Plus Slim 1TB External USB 3.0/2.0 Portable Hard Drive

And would this be a great Y cable for the drives?

Durden77

I'm looking for a hardrive in the 20-50 dollar price range. Really son't need it to be that large, I imagine I won't come close to a TB. It doesn't seem like the offcial US Nintendo list is working?

So on Nintendo Dutch support site

It list

Western Digital (WD)

My Book™

WDBACW0010HBK-EESN (1 TB)
WDBACW0020HBK-EESN (2 TB)

But these hard drive are old by now, are the newer version of the WD my book series also compatible?

KHlover

Banned
Hello GAF.

I am currently running this as an external SSD for my Wii U.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W01BU0412

I don't think I will make it to X and want to upgrade to a larger capacity model (200+ gig). What are my options if I want an equivalent or better external SSD than what I am currently using?

I don't need to hear about USB ports and no benefit for using above "XXX" on a Wii U please. Thank you.

Why would you waste money on a SSD for the WiiU? USB 2.0 limits it to 30 MB/s anyways, you have zero speed benefits for a pretty hafty price. Get a cheap portable 2.5" HDD, does the job just as well and saves you a lot of money.

Why would you waste money on a SSD for the WiiU? USB 2.0 limits it to 30 MB/s anyways, you have zero speed benefits for a pretty hafty price. Get a cheap portable 2.5" HDD, does the job just as well and saves you a lot of money.

Sequential read performance isn't the only strength of SSDs, but amongst other things also random access I/O latency. Granted, Wii U game data is probably optimized for sequential reads, so while I wouldn't say there aren't any performance gains to be had, they're likely negligible at best. The most tangible drawback with mechanical harddrives in this context is probably parking/spin-up.

Of course, there are other benefits to a good SSD. It is more reliable, durable, completely silent and draws less power. The latter even more so that, if you can find a drive that draws no more than 2W at all times, it could in theory be safely bus-powered by the Wii U.

In any case, to the quoted poster: stay away from further LaCie products. You'll find more value by buying an external enclosure and a drive from a reputable manufacturer like Samsung or Intel.

So unlucky again..
Today, i bought a WD Elements 1TB for my WiiU.

I have just connected it, and it is not being recognized.On top of that, it makes a sound as though the drive is spinning every couple of seconds.The led is on and when i try to format it through the WiiU menu...well it still tries to format it but to no avail...

Could it be that a Y cable is needed?

The HDD works fine in my laptop..

edit:Is that a Y cable possibly needed?
http://www.skroutz.gr/s/3196100/DeLock-USB-2-0-Cable-USB-A-female-2x-USB-A-male-22-5cm-65306.html

wilflare

using a Y Cable for my drive - suddenly got a message that the drive has been unplugged (I didn't do anything)

did this happen to anyone?

m0t0k1

I need a little bit extra space for bayonetta 2. So if i use an usb stick does the internal flash memory still count? Say i got 32gb intern memory from my premium and 32gb usb stick. Do i get 64gb at my disposal? Or does it work like the ps3 12gb super slim and can't use my internal memory anymore?

HUELEN10

I need a little bit extra space for bayonetta 2. So if i use an usb stick does the internal flash memory still count? Say i got 32gb intern memory from my premium and 32gb usb stick. Do i get 64gb at my disposal? Or does it work like the ps3 12gb super slim and can't use my internal memory anymore?
You would get a little less than 64 GB at your disposal, but don't; you should only use HDDS, preferably adapter-powered. Flash drives are not something you should be thinking about for Wii U.

1. Nintendo warns against it.

2. There might not be enough power to consistently read/write and you'd need to use a Y-cable anyways, making it quite complicated for a simple flash drive.

3. No one knows how often read/writes are made to Wii U connected mass storage devices. because of this, the wear levels my exceed what they would be in a normal application as far as flash drives are concerned.

So if you want to use a flash drive, don't. Too many people have been fucked over by the, some on GAF even. If you ARE gonna use one, make sure you keep a duplicate to regularly back up the main one. If you really want peace of mind, just get a good powered HDD.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DW96NY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This one not only complements the Wii U very nicely, but it is officially endorsed by NOA.

El Sabroso

Internal flash memory will need the space for 1 of those games, and the stick dedicated for the other as all storage from each game will be in only one storage device, for example if bayo 1 is in internal and bayo 2 is in USB, all bayo 2 content will be only in the USB stick and all bayo 1 content will be in the internal memory.

I would consider to get an HDD after using the stick and if is a USB only connection make sure to get a Y-Cable.

m0t0k1

You would get a little less than 64 GB at your disposal, but don't; you should only use HDDS, preferably adapter-powered. Flash drives are not something you should be thinking about for Wii U.

2. There might not be enough power to consistently read/write and you'd need to use a Y-cable anyways, making it quite complicated for a simple flash drive.

3. No one knows how often read/writes are made to Wii U connected mass storage devices. because of this, the wear levels my exceed what they would be in a normal application as far as flash drives are concerned.

So if you want to use a flash drive, don't. Too many people have been fucked over by the, some on GAF even. If you ARE gonna use one, make sure you keep a duplicate to regularly back up the main one. If you really want peace of mind, just get a good powered HDD.

This one not only complements the Wii U very nicely, but it is officially endorsed by NOA.

Thanks for the info its only a temporary solution. I got an backup HardDisk borrowed to a uncle to do a quick back up. I can start using it monday again but i just want to play Bayonetta 2 on launch day.

1. Yep.

2. The power issue should only be a problem for hard drives, a flash drive will use considerably less power than any disk.

3. Yep this is true. If someone was to use a flash drive I'd highly recommend moving the save files onto Wii U's internal memory (not sure if every game will let you do that though.)

I hope we see Nintendo update with flash drive support in the future. But for now if you must use a flash drive just be aware of the risks.

foltzie1

I use a Sandisk Cruizer Fit USB flash drive and I haven't had any problems yet.

Given that its firmware seems to include some wear leveling I'm not certain how it would be any more or less risky than the built in Flash.

Of course I could find me being hoisted on my own petard if it fails.

I recently switched from my old Iomega 500GB portable with Ycable to the NOA recommended Buffalo 2TB externally powered HDD. It looks much better next to Wii U and I haven't had a single error since upgrading. I'm guessing that the Iomega was still pulling too much power even with the Y.

Sorcerer

If I happen to get a 3 terabyte drive for a good price will it work with the Wii U?

I understand that the Wii U only can use 2 terabytes.

I am wondering however if the drive would work at all and just ignore the extra terabyte of space?

If I happen to get a 3 terabyte drive for a good price will it work with the Wii U?

I understand that the Wii U only can use 2 terabytes.

I am wondering however if the drive would work at all and just ignore the extra terabyte of space?

iirc, an update back in 2012 added 3TB support. Have you completed all of your updates?

Sorcerer

iirc, an update back in 2012 added 3TB support. Have you completed all of your updates?

Sorry, for the confusion, I don't have a Wii U yet, but am strongly on the tipping point of getting one, and am costing out everything.

It will support 3tb?

Weird, USgamer ran a recent article on Wii U hard drives and they say the limit is 2TBs and a 3TB will not even work if I recall.

Thanks for the information, not one search I have done on the internet turned up that the Wii U supports 3TB's.

Very useful information.

Going back and reading it looks like It supports 3TB drives but only uses 2 of them. Basically it has the same limitations that Windows had when 3TB drives first came out. The file system can't make good use of all of it.

So it would be better to get a 2TB if you find one cheaper.

Top Bottom