• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

ozfunghi

You're right - it does read like I pressed the submit button sooner than I meant to.

Heh, thanks for clearing up what you actually meant. I guess you're right. I'm assuming you also would have been happier with Retro doing something new instead of DK. Like i said earlier in this thread, after playing Deus Ex, i have to say, something like this could have been right up Retro's alley... awesome game.

Damn, nice find! Nobody is interested in this??? Unless this turns out to be utter shit, this is a day one for me.

For all backer rewards that include a virtual copy of Space Pioneer – you will get the option to receive the game on Windows, Linux or Macintosh. For all backer rewards that include a physical copy of the game; you get the option to receive the game on Windows, Linux, Macintosh or Wii U. Backer rewards cannot be edited once people claim them so that is why they don't include all of the platforms that are mentioned above.

prag16

Banned

That actually sounds pretty cool. Too bad the digital version is apparently PC only. Did this just start yesterday/today? If so maybe it has a shot at getting funding. If it started longer ago than that, perhaps not.

Interesting that they're guaranteeing Wii U support off the bat (if it's funded). Unity game perhaps?

I have mixed feelings about the news coming from the Investor Meeting.

DS VC: I really need to see how it is going to look on the gamepad, I am not a graphics whore but you got to have limits. This does nothing for me at all.

The 3rd pillar, not going to whine, they can diversify a bit, might even be something cool.

Push the Wii U and gamepad for solo experiences: this is really exciting, but at the same time they make it sound like they have not even started.

The rest is really vague.

Yep. And Iwata said use of the gamepad for solo - multiplayer is already covered.

My crusade since 2012: I believe one - or the - next IP from Miyamoto's teams will involve cards, real one and NFC. Based on this quote from an old interview in French I translated and just copy-pasted for the xxx time in another thread:

My rough translation : "And you know, what's extremely successful on smartphone at the moment, at least in Japan? Cards collection games. But these are virtual cards. What interests me are the real cards. It's why I think the Wii U has more potential."

"How would YOUR GAME use the WiiU Gamepad?"

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=632451

A new and innovative card game that can be played with just the cards themselves, or battle friends online in a more immersive game that is played by using the physical cards with the NFC reader. Off-screen play as well, of course.

Woot.

edit: Doesnt mean what i typed will happen. Definitely a chance, tho.

Should we add NFC to the chalk board?

I feel Nintendo made a big mistake releasing games like Zangeki, Xenoblade, and The Last Story on Wii when they could've been treasures on Wii U at this time of crisis.

Not only that, look at Zangeki!

i9FuXAUjteTE0.jpg

I can't believe that's a fucking Wii game, this is one of the titles I think would go toe-to-toe with PS360 games, I mean holy shit. o_O What kind of secret sauce did Sandlot find in there?!

I feel Nintendo made a big mistake releasing games like Zangeki, Xenoblade, and The Last Story on Wii when they could've been treasures on Wii U at this time of crisis.

I can't believe that's a fucking Wii game, this is one of the titles I think would go toe-to-toe with PS360 games, I mean holy shit. o_O What kind of secret sauce did Sandlot find in there?!

i really enjoyed this game especially with motion plus controls it really is sad that the game didnt make it overseas the ending was awesome.

i really enjoyed this game especially with motion plus controls it really is sad that the game didnt make it overseas the ending was awesome.

Man this game is pure fun. It would do well if it came out now considering how popular Attack on Titan is. I didn't expect the story to go like that!!!

69wpm

In the later fights it runs at 15 fps. But it had a great atmosphere with the voice acting. Your people where constantly talking on the battlefield, really nice.

In the later fights it runs at 15 fps. But it had a great atmosphere with the voice acting. Your people where constantly talking on the battlefield, really nice.

Isn't a framerate like that in intense battles Sandlot tradition?

Also, I wish Nintendo had the balls to attempt the localization of Yakuza 1 & 2 HD on Wii U exclusively in NA and EU, have the game reuse the original localizations in the PS2 games.

They could gain a nice bit of a fanbase by being the only provider of the first two games in HD in English in NA and EU. I think Nintendo should really do it.

D-e-f-

Banned
What I got out of the investor meeting was that they would integrate it with gaming in some ways, most likely Wii Fit or something new similar to Wii Fit. We probably won't get a glimpse or more information until the next investor meeting or E3 2015 so I'll hold off being critical about their third pillar. I'm still a bit bitter that they seem to be ignoring the Wii U so excuse me if I came off strong in my previous post :(

Iwata said they'll be talking about it more later this year. After all, it'll launch between Q2 and Q4 next year.

And they're not ignoring WiiU. They were never gonna talk about games at this thing. That's what the Directs are for any why we are so frustrated that it's been over a month since the last one after having been conditioned to expect them way more frequently over the last year.

Linkhero1

Iwata said they'll be talking about it more later this year. After all, it'll launch between Q2 and Q4 next year.

And they're not ignoring WiiU. They were never gonna talk about games at this thing. That's what the Directs are for any why we are so frustrated that it's been over a month since the last one after having been conditioned to expect them way more frequently over the last year.

I wasn't talking about Wii U games, but rather the entire situation. It doesn't seem like they've addressed any of the problems properly and are focusing more of their efforts on the 3DS from what it seems.

cacildo

Its funny how the investors Meeting had great info about units sold for each WiiU game... and yet there´s no thread or comment about it.

Luigi U sold 1.15mil. Mario U sold almost 4mil, 3d world was released in november and sold 2mil

Wind Waker was like 1.5mil too, but i dont know if im remembering it correctly

Considering the whole install base of the system is made of 6mil consoles sold.... these are very impressive numbers

69wpm

Its funny how the investors Meeting had great info about units sold for each WiiU game... and yet there´s no thread or comment about it.

Luigi U sold 1.15mil. Mario U sold almost 4mil, 3d world was released in november and sold 2mil

Considering the whole install base of the system is made of 6mil consoles sold.... these are very impressive numbers

You should open a thread. At least people like us care about the good news.

Alric

i9FuXAUjteTE0.jpg

I've never heard of or seen this game before but now I'm really interested in playing it. Is it in english or japanese only?

Alric

Also after seeing some gameplay of that Zangeki I realize Berserk would be perfect with the Wii Plus motion controls.

berserk_head.jpg

kunonabi

I've never heard of or seen this game before but now I'm really interested in playing it. Is it in english or japanese only?

japanese only but you can get by without much Japanese. You will have to look up the config options though since the default settings are awful.

Zodzilla

Damn, nice find! Nobody is interested in this??? Unless this turns out to be utter shit, this is a day one for me.

I wrote this in the Wii U eshop games thread, but I feel compelled to post it here as well.

While the artwork they present is nice and the idea is great and all, the parameters of budget are totally unrealistic for a project of that size and scope, especially because no one on their "staff" has any proof that they can create any games. There's literally no one on that page that has any experience crafting a game.

All that they have are a few endorsements from astronauts, a person who claims to be "personally interested in video games", and a person who claims to have "tons of experience in all things CG."

I don't know about you, but I have personal doubts of any of the credentials listed above because they have failed to present any so far. What they have is a design document wishlist of what they would want in a game and some paintings, not credibility.

It's more like 5 million which makes the sales even more impressive. 3D World has done really well, esp after so many people saying it had bombed terribly. Maybe next time they will realise that Nintendo games are not front loaded like other AAA games and they sell very well over time no matter the size of the install base.

GT6 sold under a million copies on an install base of 80+ million yet it wasn't called a 'bomba' lol...

I really hope we get some smaller game announcements in a Nintendo Direct in the coming months before E3 (outside of the new Zelda, Miyamoto's game and possibly a Retro developed Metroid). I would love a new Starfox or Pilotwings or F Zero. Surely they must be making some new games using old IP's, there has to be more in development than the big four games of 2014 ?.

Guamu

It's more like 5 million which makes the sales even more impressive. 3D World has done really well, esp after so many people saying it had bombed terribly. Maybe next time they will realise that Nintendo games are not front loaded like other AAA games and they sell very well over time no matter the size of the install base.

GT6 sold under a million copies on an install base of 80+ million yet it wasn't called a 'bomba' lol...

Those nintendo games sales highlights are good numbers. The problem is that everything else does horrible.

Does anyone know how the Wii U version of Darksiders 2 runs?

Screen tearing all over the place (you really can't move the camera at all without the background tearing part). Iirc it also had slowdowns and the bugs from the other versions, but the screen tearing is what I remember the most.

Guamu

Sad that Pikmin isn't a million seller :(

Regiruler

Screen tearing all over the place (you really can't move the camera at all without the background tearing part). Iirc it also had slowdowns and the bugs from the other versions, but the screen tearing is what I remember the most.
It wasn't that bad IMO.
I'd elaborate but mobile and been a while since I played.

prag16

Banned
My god, that whole kickstarter looks shady as all hell. They have nothing to show - nothing! I would never ever back this...

Agreed, as I said earlier the concept is really cool. But I would never back this based what they have up there right now.

rawktapus

I really hope we get some smaller game announcements in a Nintendo Direct in the coming months before E3 (outside of the new Zelda, Miyamoto's game and possibly a Retro developed Metroid). I would love a new Starfox or Pilotwings or F Zero. Surely they must be making some new games using old IP's, there has to be more in development than the big four games of 2014 ?.

I really hope this is partly what they meant when talking about being more open with their licensing. Using they're lesser known IPs for experimentation with other companies seems like a smart way to utilize them.
except Other M, yeah yeah, I know./SPOILER]

Alternatively, a lot of those franchises don't need to be as big as their other ones, making them ideal for smaller digital only releases. StarFox could do really well with this format, I think.

daripad

So i finished Pikmin 3 story mode (just the story, I'll go back and get all the fruits I'm missing later) and man, that's a lovely and charming game. Best graphics I've seen on the system (yes, better than 3D World and NintendoLand) considering both artstyle and technical aspects. The game runs so smoothly (though I had a dip in a corridor with Pikmin carrying huge things) and takes you to some beautiful enviroments. The story was simple but funny at the same time. The game plays so good with the gamepad, specially using it as a map to give movement orders, though I would have liked some other options for the gamepad functionality but what it had was great. The pink and rock pikmin and how they are integrated with the rest of the Pikmin is awesome, offering lots of ideas on how to use them (and thy mmey have their own onions too, yeah!). I love the new cast of characters too. The challange mode I still have to play a little more but so far is the greatest addition to the series in this game, so much fun and strategy there.

Overall the game is very polished and worthy of a purchase. I wouldn't say is the best game I've played on the system (this is my third game yet) but it will end as one of he greatest gameson the system. And for the franchise it is definitly the best game by far, I haven't play 1 but 2 was dreadful, the pacing in 3 is just better and makes the game an addiction.

onilink88

Er... I think you're seriously overselling this one. I might not own the game, but I have borrowed it. And during my time with it, I never once thought to myself that it was visually comparable to the average PS3/360 game. The most notable thing about it that I remember was the considerable amount enemies/allies that could be rendered on screen at once. And even then, the framerate suffered greatly for it.

There's only one game on the PS3 that I can think of where ZnR compares favorably to, and it's "Last Rebellion"...

An outlier among outliers.

Effect

Hmm. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for when I see it but videos of the game looked fine to me.

Sorry for posting this in this thread but I dont know where else to ask, but isn't Nintendo supposed to make a major announcement today? I thought thats what I heard on 8-4

The PS3 version was full of screen tearing and framerate drops as well.

ozfunghi

Does anyone know how the Wii U version of Darksiders 2 runs?

I know the game supposedly doesn't run as smooth as it should on WiiU and is one of the only WiiU games without Vsync... but i've seen my nephew play it for about an hour, and during that time, i didn't notice these supposed issues, or at least not the way i had been led to believe.

I wrote this in the Wii U eshop games thread, but I feel compelled to post it here as well.

While the artwork they present is nice and the idea is great and all, the parameters of budget are totally unrealistic for a project of that size and scope, especially because no one on their "staff" has any proof that they can create any games. There's literally no one on that page that has any experience crafting a game.

All that they have are a few endorsements from astronauts, a person who claims to be "personally interested in video games", and a person who claims to have "tons of experience in all things CG."

I don't know about you, but I have personal doubts of any of the credentials listed above because they have failed to present any so far. What they have is a design document wishlist of what they would want in a game and some paintings, not credibility.

My response was based on the concept potential and intro. I hadn't read the info in detail. Maybe you're right :(

Roo

Sad that Pikmin isn't a million seller :(

The Pikmin franchise is a slow burner.
Not that it has sold amazingly well in first place but all the previous games (except the NPC versions) were million sellers when everything was said and done.
Give it some time.

Zing

Banned
My next Wii U game will be the Lego Movie game next week. Anyone know how/if it integrates the gamepad at all? I suspect it will strictly mirror the TV screen, in NSMBU fashion.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Based on Iwata's comments I have the weird idea that Nintendo is essentially going to release DKC and some minor titles in February (Wii Fit U retail, Lego Movie) and then sit until May w/ Mario Kart. The thing he said after "we will ensure that momentum will continue after Mario Kart".

My guess is Nintendo couldn't sustain momentum from now until May, so they're going to sit March (and possibly April) out, and then start in earnest w/ Mario Kart in May. I can't say I like the decision and have no idea whether it'll pay off.

If Watch Dogs is a May/June release and stays on Wii U, Nintendo may have Mario Kart & Watch Dogs release close to each other, and hope the sales from Mario Kart lead to some sales of Watch Dogs as well. If Nintendo then started releasing the other titles on their 2013 lineup (Zelda Musou, X, and Smash for example), they might be able to pull in some momentum going into the 2014 holidays with Smash being the likely holiday title. This is just going on announced titles, and I'm hopeful Nintendo has something under wraps, like a new Animal Crossing or that NFC title they keep hinting at. I do honestly think a console Pokemon spin-off with a good bit of effort put into it could sell well on Wii U (considering how popular the main Pokemon series clearly still is w/ 11m+ shipped in 3 months).

Top Bottom