• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Games 2014

Exile20

I bought a Wii U today and I am absolutely loving it. I bought The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD limited edition bundle with Super Mario 3D World, Tekken Tag 2, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I think I may buy a few games on eShop, but I am not sure what (since I own a lot of the games on eShop through Steam).

congrats, glad you are enjoying it.

I bought a Wii U today and I am absolutely loving it. I bought The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD limited edition bundle with Super Mario 3D World, Tekken Tag 2, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I think I may buy a few games on eShop, but I am not sure what (since I own a lot of the games on eShop through Steam).

Welcome to the club! You picked up some great games there. Have fun, it's a fantastic little console.

NES Remix is a cool eShop exclusive. Worth checking out, in my opinion.

DVCY201

If Watch_Dogs turns out to be good then I'll get it. I would get it for PC, but I don't really want to deal with the uPlay client.

Does the Mayflash adapter work with the GamePad? I think I want to use the GamePad as my PC controller.

Sendou

If Watch_Dogs turns out to be good then I'll get it. I would get it for PC, but I don't really want to deal with the uPlay client.

Does the Mayflash adapter work with the GamePad? I think I want to use the GamePad as my PC controller.

Haha yeah you're in the exact same situation as I'm with uPlay. Lost access to my Steam uPlay games (including Far Cry 3 which was rather new at the time) and said never again.

I don't think there's a very good way of getting GamePad connected to PC. Someone with more knowledge could correct me though. I'm pretty sure Mayflash doesn't work though.

atr0cious

http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-pro-controller-to-pc-program-release.343159/

Closest I could find.

page2 said:
I've just got my controller working flawlessly with X-Input. There are videos showing how to do it in Win7 but I've never found a decent tutorial written down that's easy to follow. So here's my crack at the guide I would've liked to have when I was setting up.

Check the version of your Bluetooth device.
If you're having issues reconnecting the controller, try a device using Bluetooth 2.0 or up. Logitech Bluetooth adapters can be installed as a Bluetooth devices if you hold the connect button when you first insert it. (Odd, but useful if you have some Logitech devices already)
Find your hardware id.
If you haven't installed your devices Bluetooth drivers, do so now.
Go to device manager and right click to properties on your Bluetooth driver.
On the far right tab, click hardware id on the drop down box and copy/paste the bottom value somewhere.
Close the properties window.
Uninstall your Bluetooth driver and unplug your device.
Start installing the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack.
Once it gets to the point it asks you to plug in your device, do not plug it in.
Open (Toshiba Bluetooth Stack directory)\Drivers\tosrfusb\tosrfusb.inf in notepad.
Ctrl+f your hardware id. If it shows up, skip this whole step.
Copy the bottom line of the [standard] list and paste below it.
Change the number to be the next consecutive number and copy/paste your hardware id from earlier over the hardware id at the end of the line.
Copy this line and paste it at the bottom of the [standard.NTamd64] list.
Copy the last line in the file and paste below, change the number to the next censecutive number and give your device any name in the quotations.
SAVE (in multiple locations in case you have to redo this part)
Plug in your device
Click OK in the Toshiba installation once the device is recognized. Let all drivers install.
Restart your PC when prompted.
Install Vjoy
Once vjoy is installed(may need to reboot again??), type configure vjoy in search and open it.
Under basic axes, you want x, y, z, r/rz/rudder, u, and v.
Under POV Hat/Switch you want Continuous and 1 POVs
Number of buttons: I normally just go with 17 but you can go with less.
Connect your controller
Double click the Bluetooth logo in the taskbar.
Follow the instructions to sync the controller, press the sync button on the controller when asked.
Open WiinUPro
Click the check mark next to your Wii U Pro controller and choose joypad in the drop down box then connect.
Set ZR to +U joystick axis and ZL to +V joystick axis (if you plan on using Xinput enabled games)
Go to tools and open game controllers.
Highlight vjoy and click properties.
Go to settings and calibrate.
Use the left stick for the circles and press the B button to continue.
The Z Axis is up and down on right stick and Z Rotation is left and right on that stick.
Use ZL for U axis and ZR for V then finish the calibration
Congrats! Your controller is now configured as a basic game controller in Win7! See below for how to enable Xinput.

Open regedit.exe
Change HKEY_CURRENT_USER\system\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_1234&PID_BEAD\OEMName to "XBOX 360 For Windows (Controller)" without quotations.
Repeat in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE directory.
Exit regedit.
Connect your controller, then open Vjoy and configure to the same as above, then open WiinUPro and configure to the same as above, minimize it.
Download x360ce and the libraries that correspond with your machine (go with 32bit then 64 if 32 gives you trouble)
Extract everything to the games install folder, where the .exe is. (you have to do this with any game you want to play with this) Open x360ce and click OK to recognize the game then save and exit.
Open x360ce.exe again and click OK on everything. Set the left Trigger to Sliders\Half\HSlider 1 and the right slider to Sliders\Half\HSlider 2.
Set Left Stick Axis X to axes\Axis 1 and the Y axis to axes\inverted\IAxis 2
Set right Stick Axis X to axes\Axes 6 and the Y axis to axes\Axis 3.
Use the record drop down option to set the remaining buttons, then save and close. Whenever you start the game, x360ce will open as well.
ENJOY!

So I bought The Wonderful 101....what is up with this tutorial? Must I use the touch screen for the moves or can I use the right stick? seems like it's not registering properly when I use the right stick. This tutorial has got too be the worst ever. Actually reminding me of the shitastic tutorials in The Stick of Truth...

So I bought The Wonderful 101....what is up with this tutorial? Must I use the touch screen for the moves or can I use the right stick? seems like it's not registering properly when I use the right stick. This tutorial has got too be the worst ever. Actually reminding me of the shitastic tutorials in The Stick of Truth...

You can use the right stick. It takes a little getting used to but you don't ever need to use the touchscreen if you don't want to. I went through the game only using the right stick.

You can use the right stick. It takes a little getting used to but you don't ever need to use the touchscreen if you don't want to. I went through the game only using the right stick.

Ok good to know. For some reason when I'm doing the full circle move it seems like it's not registering properly unless I use the touch screen.

Ok good to know. For some reason when I'm doing the full circle move it seems like it's not registering properly unless I use the touch screen.

I recall having similar issues when I first started the game, but once I got a hold of the learning curve with the stick, I had no issues whatsoever. It just takes a little practice.

Enjoy the game!

Pre ordered Mario Kart with the blue shell. Will be used as a trophy in tournaments with my friends.

Got an xbox one now and currently not getting a great deal of play time on anything, so it's tough to catch up with games.

Still need to complete WWHD. Although may start again.

I hope e3 has some good reveals, I feel the console is far from doomed due to the high quality of games on it.

Fake edit: totally forgot about Bayonetta 2! The reason I got the WiiU. Hoping it has a lovely collectors edition

Terra

That would be a great fit.

Then only if we could get Civilization Revolution 2 or something...

Whoa! You're onto something. But wait...

What about a fullfledged Civilization V release with both expansion packs?
That comfy couch strategy gaming. Would buy a Wii U for this.

I don't like Civ:Revolution

Sendou

Whoa! You're onto something. But wait...

What about a fullfledged Civilization V release with both expansion packs?
That comfy couch strategy gaming. Would buy a Wii U for this.

I don't like Civ:Revolution

Yeah I honestly think Civilization V with modified UI could work with Wii U. I just think Civilization Revolution would still be a slightly shorter stretch :p

Honestly, my Wii U gets no play time at all anymore. I have Wind Waker HD, Wonderful 101, and Earthbound. In my mind, though, it's a sound investment. I can't wait for the new Monolith Soft game, Hyrule Warriors, and the great first-party games we'll get. Just hope they don't butcher Zelda with gimmicks, though.

Yup the stick is the way to go. The idea isn't to actually "draw" the morphs, but more like to make gestures. This way you eventually get them to your muscle memory too and once you learn that, the flow of the game becomes really amazing.

For example with the Unite Hand just flick the analog stick to left fast and then just do a half a circle to right from up or down. In the QTEs you can make it bigger by doing the about the same (except take the analog stick just a bit further than the half a circle), but leaving the analog stick to the end. That way the morph will look like sort of a candy cane (about half a circle, except at the other end it continues as a long line).

It might take a little for you to find the best way to make the gestures for each of the morphs, but they're there for each of the 7 main morphs.

Yup the stick is the way to go. The idea isn't to actually "draw" the morphs, but more like to make gestures. This way you eventually get them to your muscle memory too and once you learn that, the flow of the game becomes really amazing.

For example with the Unite Hand just flick the analog stick to left fast and then just do a half a circle to right from up or down. In the QTEs you can make it bigger by doing the about the same (except take the analog stick just a bit further than the half a circle), but leaving the analog stick to the end. That way the morph will look like sort of a candy cane (about half a circle, except at the other end it continues as a long line).

It might take a little for you to find the best way to make the gestures for each of the morphs, but they're there for each of the 7 main morphs.

Thanks that explains things a bit better. From the tut it wasn't very clear and i was rotating the stick and hitting A button and that wasn't working at all, resorted to using the touch screen which just feels awkward. Also it seemed like i was having a easier time doing the morph with the stick while actually fighting but when trying the same way with the on screen prompts and time limit it just wasn't working.

Is Gamestop easy in their exchange policy? I've had a few weird hard locks while playing my new Wii U and I was thinking about getting it exchanged for another one to be on the safe side. I haven't bought anything on the eShop yet so I don't have to transfer anything.

maxcriden

Is Gamestop easy in their exchange policy? I've had a few weird hard locks while playing my new Wii U and I was thinking about getting it exchanged for another one to be on the safe side. I haven't bought anything on the eShop yet so I don't have to transfer anything.

I'd call them first to make sure but it shouldn't be a problem as long as you have the receipt, everything it came with, and it's within the requisite time period. First one I got from GS last summer was a lemon and they let me replace it with no issue.

MrBlonde

Nice, I am buying buying the Mario bundle at Target today with the $25 gift card deal they have this week. I plan on just buying a Wii remote and Mario 3d for now but I am very excited for Mario Kart. I had a Wii U for a few months and ended up selling it, my fiancee and I played Mario and the Luigi DLC co op and loved it but other then that I didnt play to much, Mario Kart is the main reason I am buying again but Mario 3d looks like a blast co op.

Nice, I am buying buying the Mario bundle at Target today with the $25 gift card deal they have this week. I plan on just buying a Wii remote and Mario 3d for now but I am very excited for Mario Kart. I had a Wii U for a few months and ended up selling it, my fiancee and I played Mario and the Luigi DLC co op and loved it but other then that I didnt play to much, Mario Kart is the main reason I am buying again but Mario 3d looks like a blast co op.

You both should have a ton of fun with 3D World. I've played it with friends and my girlfriend and it's been nothing but laughs and good times. Enjoy!

Exile20

Dkctf is loads of fun coop.

Tabasco

Unfortunately I couldn't get into Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3.

To me those games are just frustratingly difficult and just not fun.

Roo

Unfortunately I couldn't get into Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3.

To me those games are just frustratingly difficult and just not fun.

Really? that's a shame.
I'm talking about Pikmin 3 tho. I totally understand how you feel.
At first I was overwhelmed by all the stuff I had to do but it was really easy after a few days getting used to it.

You should give it a second chance. It's a great game.

Really? that's a shame.
I'm talking about Pikmin 3 tho. I totally understand how you feel.
At first I was overwhelmed by all the stuff I had to do but it was really easy after a few days getting used to it.

You should give it a second chance. It's a great game.
If you can play Pikmin with a nunchuck it makes a big difference (at leat it did for me).
I've only stopped playing it as I'm hooked on W101.

69wpm

You mean without this control game really became bad and hard :)

Don't put words in my mouth. I mean exactly what I said in my second sentence: That it's easier with Nunchuck + Wii Remote, especially for newbies like me that had never played Pikmin before.

ahm998

Don't put words in my mouth. I mean exactly what I said in my second sentence: That it's easier with Nunchuck + Wii Remote, especially for newbies like me that had never played Pikmin before.

I mean my word sorry for miss understanding.

So I deleted the user information from the Wii U (not the Nintendo ID). The ID should be available to link to the replacement console after 24 hours right?

69wpm

According to the Japanese Nintendo site, Alphadia Genesis will be released in April. This game is made in Unity and also available for Android and iOS. Here is the press release for the mobile versions. The game has been localized so maybe it will be released over here too.

Linkhero1

So after finishing DKCTF, I have nothing to play on my Wii U and I'm looking for a new title to play. Splinter Cell caught my eye because it's really cheap. I was wondering how it performed compared to the 360 version of the game?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So after finishing DKCTF, I have nothing to play on my Wii U and I'm looking for a new title to play. Splinter Cell caught my eye because it's really cheap. I was wondering how it performed compared to the 360 version of the game?

No screen tearing but (slightly) lower framerate (mostly in the cutscene, but also in some intense fighting). The Gamepad implementation is really nice.

Linkhero1

No screen tearing but (slightly) lower framerate (mostly in the cutscene, but also in some intense fighting). The Gamepad implementation is really nice.

Is the dip in framerate really noticeable that it would affect gameplay or is it minor? I plan to go buy it after work.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Is the dip in framerate really noticeable that it would affect gameplay or is it minor? I plan to go buy it after work.

In very intense fights it drops quite a lot. Now, from the DF videos the same drop happen also on 360, but the 360 manage to stays 2-4 frames above.
I like stealth and playing like this I found it to be no issue.
Now, I should not be trusted as I found also AC IV to be playable on Wii U.

Linkhero1

In very intense fights it drops quite a lot. Now, from the DF videos the same drop happen also on 360, but the 360 manage to stays 2-4 frames above.
I like stealth and playing like this I found it to be no issue.
Now, I should not be trusted as I found also AC IV to be playable on Wii U.

Haha

If it's almost the same in both games then I don't mind given that it's pretty cheap now. I'll find out for myself this week :p

If splinter cell is cheap go for it. Its actually running at 720p ( unlike ps360) and has no screen tearing.

Only issu with it is the long load times, frame rate drops weren't very noticeable to me.
gamepad use is decent.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Right, forgot about the loading times. Terrible loading times, especially when you start the game. Not LCU terrible though.

Top Bottom