• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Second, what the frak in LoveFilm (in Europe)? The app doesn't do anything, it speak about registering but all you can do is... delete it. I want to try the free month as quick as possible!

What's that? Was it preinstalled in your Wii U menu? My "Finnish" Wii U didn't have that, and I didn't notice it in eshop either...

- And third, all the Wii Connect 24 stuff from the Wii... it wasn't a big deal (weather and news channels), but it was pretty cool and I think Nintendo is cheap as hell to have not remake it for the Wii U. Backward compatibility with usage of the gamepad is one thing, likely more complex (even if it's cheap too to not having it from the start), but the Mii channel (the one where you can grab awesome user generated Miis), weather and news... In almost two years ( from the 2010 E3 reveal), Nintendo didn't have the ressources (like 10 guys for 3 months of work) to make it happen? Damn... The "something new, every day, for everyone" was a very good politic, and Miiverse was the perfect addition to this. Now, it's just a waste.

Someone touched on how the Gamepad could act as a clock when the system is powered down and it's on the charge dock. They could take it further and have it display the time and weather with a slick design. Maybe even have the news and such with an integrated Miiverse forum, links to web pages, all sorts of stuff to use the gamepad for while not gaming or while using the TV function. It's already in your hands, so I could see people doing it.

shibbs

Yeah I got this "love film" thing also. Haven't checked it though. Sound kind of lame but we'll see :)

Also, does anyone know if you can follow Reggie of Iwata on miiverse?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I used the stand this morning while having breakfast to read miiverse comments on the plaza. I agree with the need to have a news app on the eShop. Makes too much sense.

Good luck with that...

On the 2nd floor, just above the place where my Wii U is (so only one "wall" and 10 feet), I'm on the edge of reception... If you manage to go through two floors, I'm impressed.

Well so far I've managed to get to the middle of the second flight of stairs before it starts to go to shit. I'll see if I can set something up tonight.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Posted "What underwear?" in relation to a ZombiU post. Post deleted due to sexual content.

Took a screen cap of my ammo/weapon heavy inventory. Admin marks as spoilers.

I can see I'm going to last on this thing.

I don't know if it's just me, but I still can't get Netflix to work. Everytime I start the damn thing I get an error. I've deleted and re-download it many times...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They definitively should implement a "pause" when the Wii U lose the U pad signal... At least as an option.

The signal is always lost at the worse time possible T_T

Yeah this. I got the 'signal is unstable' message right in the middle of an octopus dance challenge (doing the attraction tour), and because it didn't pause I lost :/ it should definitely pause. Odd thing was, I was only sitting 6ft away in clear line of sight to the console.

Fox Mulder

Posted "What underwear?" in relation to a ZombiU post. Post deleted due to sexual content.

I hope they eventually let you select content zones like Live does. If you're an adult that's fine with less moderation, you should be able to get it.

But this is nintendo.

CoolS

- Second, what the frak in LoveFilm (in Europe)? The app doesn't do anything, it speak about registering but all you can do is... delete it. I want to try the free month as quick as possible!
LoveFilm is amazons DVD/BR rental service in Europe which is actually quite good. And I think last year they started doing Video Streaming similiar to Netflix. There isn't nearly as much content untill now, but they steadily keep adding movies and TV shows.
Kind of looking forward to try the app.
i'm still amazed that you got your name as NNID trough.
Iirc his user name got banned pretty fast.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've got a question--for those of you with good routers that have no connection issues with Wii U, what would you recommend for a new router? I've got a Linksys WRT54G and it is absolutely dreadful with my Wii U and PS3--just terrible download speeds. I don't have any connection issues, but I can rarely watch Amazon Video on those systems because of the router (I have no problem on my PC).

If anybody could make a recommendation I'd appreciate it.

I have a Cisco e3200 which I use to replace my virgin media superhub which was flaky (I just use that as a modem now). Nice interface, good speeds, dual band if you need it, guest network etc. and no issues connecting the wiiU or anything else (touch wood). My ps3 is wired though.

Bumhead

Banned

I'm genuinely stunned my username and Mii has lasted as long as it has.

Pikma

Banned

Hahaha, I'm gonna try drawing the Bear in Underwear tomorrow
bearunder.jpg

Wish me luck :lol

Rubixcuba

Banned
- And third, all the Wii Connect 24 stuff from the Wii... it wasn't a big deal (weather and news channels), but it was pretty cool and I think Nintendo is cheap as hell to have not remake it for the Wii U. Backward compatibility with usage of the gamepad is one thing, likely more complex (even if it's cheap too to not having it from the start), but the Mii channel (the one where you can grab awesome user generated Miis), weather and news... In almost two years ( from the 2010 E3 reveal), Nintendo didn't have the ressources (like 10 guys for 3 months of work) to make it happen? Damn... The "something new, every day, for everyone" was a very good politic, and Miiverse was the perfect addition to this. Now, it's just a waste.

By extension, there isn't any kind of notification system from the console if any new data has been received when it has been turned off is there?
Wii Connect 24, despite not being what was originally hoped for in a mass of new content everyday at least had the feature of informing you that you had a message from Nintendo etc. This kind of 'always on' feature would be handy with notifications in Miiverse and the like.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm online but I have no interest in posting on or even browsing MiiVerse.

Looks like a bunch of doodles... Not sure what is so interesting about that.

Just diving in, I kind of agree.

But I was walking around my Nintendoland plaza yesterday looking for prizes to open, and each Mii you walk past has his latest comment displayed. A couple of them were problems I could help with (area 10 on donkey kong) so I quickly tapped their Mii, pressed the reply button and wrote them a reply, then jumped straight back into the plaza to carry on.

That integration is useful I think.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
5 days until the Japan flood

How do miiverse and Nintendoland plaza settings work? Eg on miiverse you can manually select which region to view, but does that affect games too? And do people on your friends list appear regardless?

I quite like having European Miis on Nintendoland, but I might filter to English only - will that bring in US Miis, or onlu UK ones? I'd miss Europeans typing English I guess (assuming the filter is based on location or language setting)

Peagles

I'm wondering if they've avoided this because of the overheating issue. I had to turn my WiiConnect24 off on my launch Wii because I noticed artefacts in NSMB in the desert and apparently this is from GPU damage from overheating due to leaving WiiConnect24 on all the time. I have it off on all my Wii consoles now :(

Eusis

I hope they eventually let you select content zones like Live does. If you're an adult that's fine with less moderation, you should be able to get it.

But this is nintendo.
Failing that, it'd be nice if there were different tiers based on a game's rating. I don't think you're going to be easily offended by mentioning Hell in the Miiverse for an M rated game, and underwear... Man, that really IS contextual, but it's harder to find offense in ZombiU versus NintendoLand or whatever.

Terrell

Just diving in, I kind of agree.

But I was walking around my Nintendoland plaza yesterday looking for prizes to open, and each Mii you walk past has his latest comment displayed. A couple of them were problems I could help with (area 10 on donkey kong) so I quickly tapped their Mii, pressed the reply button and wrote them a reply, then jumped straight back into the plaza to carry on.

That integration is useful I think.

Area 10, really? Every time I get through it without death is a fluke and people always seem to just have trouble with Area 9.

Data Ghost

Okay after a long evening I finally got everything set up.

The initial patch was incredibly painful, it took THREE HOURS on a connection where I can usually download a 1.20gb file in around 5 mins.

Really liked the UI, whilst a little slow it looks very slick and Hi Def.

Had a quick try of Mario, seems strange to view it in HD but it looked so sharp and colourful!

Gamepad is awesome, really nicely designed. Tried it in the room above the Wii U and whilst it disconnected going up the stairs once I reached the room above the Wii U it reconnected and seemed to be stable.

Had a scan of the eShop, linked my Club Nintendo and watched a few vids. Trine 2 looks very good can anyone confirm if its worth getting?

Also I didnt realise that Mario would play on the TV and the Gamepad screen at the same time, I assumed it would be one or the other, am I doing it wrong?

All in all Im very impressed, it doesnt need to have the spec of the PS3 and Xbox360, Nintendo are doing their own thing and when you play a 3D Mario or Zelda on this beast you wont care!

EDIT: I really feel for parents who buy this and set it up on Christmas Day. The set up process and update are pretty lengthy so little Jonny with have a LONG wait, they need to get these consoles out with the update already installed.

Linkhero1

Yep. My sole complaint with the Wii U so far, is that the installation time estimates are really off. Will install in 3 seconds..... A minute later, it says 2 seconds....

It doesn't matter to me that much. It's just a wonky estimator. My biggest complain is how long it takes to exit out of a game into the Wii U menu. It took me a whole minute to exit from NSMB U into the Wii U menu, a whole minute! Wtf is up with that shit.

Kokonoe

Banned
Bah help!

I've been trying at this update thing for close to 4 hours now and it's not even close to 25 percent(after all this time) and I keep getting error message 108-0065...but my connection is fine...nothing else is connected wirelessly, my computer is hooked up via ethernet and the PS3 is as well (Though it isn't on obviously)...I don't get it because the Xbox and PS3 both could download stuff just as large in a shorter amount of time and the connection was always solid. I really want to play with my friend but this many issues out of the box is kinda irritating.

This should give you the information you need.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wf...?error_code=108-0065&system=Wiiu&locale=en_US

Pikma

Banned
Have any of you guys experienced some issues with the browser, like problems with loading pages, or connection timing out? Or is that a problem with my router (I don't have any issues with any other device, not even my 3DS)?

Have any of you guys experienced some issues with the browser, like problems with loading pages, or connection timing out? Or is that a problem with my router (I don't have any issues with any other device, not even my 3DS)?

Not on my end. The browser has been quick and responsive. Is it happening at random, or just flash heavy sights, something like that?

Edit: I'm in the US by the way.

nickcv

nope, my browsing experience has been flawless so far...

I wonder if the admins are in your region or you have already been flagged day 1 since they wanted you to edit your name. You could be on some kind of watch list lol

Data Ghost

How are you lucky Euro folks liking the TV remote implementation? Does it work nicely for you? Do you think you will actually use it?

really like it, super easy to set up and works perfectly with my Samsung TV.

Interestingly, it controls the TV guide etc faster than the Samsung remote.

Eusis

I think the TV remote functionality would be a lot nicer if there were more features, which would seem feasible with a touch screen like this at first glance.

Of course, the problem there is "first glance", because it seems the TV remote stuff is fully on the controller, and barring some surprises that's gotta be very bare bones in hardware. If it were closer to a proper tablet then I could definitely see it being updated as necessary to fully support a TV's functionality, or damn near it.

derFeef

How are you lucky Euro folks liking the TV remote implementation? Does it work nicely for you? Do you think you will actually use it?

It's a neat idea and it works well, but it will never repalce my TV remote. The simple reason is that with a remote you don't have to look where the usual buttons are, you know it, and feel them. That's not possible with a touchscreen so you have to look down on the Gamepad to use it.

panda21

No they are not

well in my experience, either nintendo have a very warped conception of how long a second is (all my 12 'second' installs/downloads took more like 10 minutes), or its in hours and minutes.

to start with the estimate is way off and says it will take several hours but once it gets going it seems to be fairly accurate.

really like it, super easy to set up and works perfectly with my Samsung TV.

Interestingly, it controls the TV guide etc faster than the Samsung remote.

I think the TV remote functionality would be a lot nicer if there were more features, which would seem feasible with a touch screen like this at first glance.

Of course, the problem there is "first glance", because it seems the TV remote stuff is fully on the controller, and barring some surprises that's gotta be very bare bones in hardware. If it were closer to a proper tablet then I could definitely see it being updated as necessary to fully support a TV's functionality, or damn near it.

It's a neat idea and it works well, but it will never repalce my TV remote. The simple reason is that with a remote you don't have to look where the usual buttons are, you know it, and feel them. That's not possible with a touchscreen so you have to look down on the Gamepad to use it.

I really thought the remote was simple and well done. It even controls my sound system since both it and the tv are linked via Panasonic's connect functionality. I also like the fact that the channel selector switches the cable box and not the TV, yet the volume is done with one the TV.

That said, it does lack a few things like full functionality over the menu and whatnot. I'm curious to see how much of this changes when TVii hits. Though you have to look down at the gamepad due to it being touch based, some of the functions they showed maybe balance it out such as the Miiverse integration, special functions with sports, etc. Of course, this is all just a bunch of extra stuff they piled in so it's hard to be critical of it, but I think it could turn into something really nice. Maybe even great once a few updates roll out.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Can anyone tell me why my Mii keeps saying "I'm playing Little Inferno" when I boot up?
Little Inferno was my first Wii U game that I spent any time on, but I've moved on to other games now - surely the message should change?

Can anyone tell me why my Mii keeps saying "I'm playing Little Inferno" when I boot up?
Little Inferno was my first Wii U game that I spent any time on, but I've moved on to other games now - surely the message should change?

I think it updates every few hours or something like that, but I could be wrong. It's not an "active" update sort of thing, I don't believe.

the only complain i have about it is that the "source" button doesn't let me browse all the source inputs and select one.

Ah, yeah. That is something I've never tried honestly. I only have three inputs so I am always just two clicks away from one of them. This would be a nice thing though. Maybe cycle it with the channel buttons or dpad while the source button is activated?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

of course. But its convenient to pick up the gamepad (you're picking it up anyway to play) and be able to adjust the volume or turn the TV input over)

nickcv

I think it updates every few hours or something like that, but I could be wrong. It's not an "active" update sort of thing, I don't believe.

Ah, yeah. That is something I've never tried honestly. I only have three inputs so I am always just two clicks away from one of them. This would be a nice thing though. Maybe cycle it with the channel buttons or dpad while the source button is activated?

you are a lucky man... i have 8 inputs... cycle through all of them is a real pain

Jackano

There sure is some place for improvements on the TV remote functions, but personnally I like it very much. But this is because I don't -merely- use my TV at all except for playing video games, so, power, sound and source are all I need.

The bigger problem is here in France, we use boxes from our Internet provider and this came with their own remote for the DSL TV channels. I remember the Wii U is asking for a TV or decoder remote usage, but not both. I'm not sure this can be solved at all, the Wii U gamepad can probably not replace two remotes at a time.

Menu/image settings for the TV can be very usefull too from a video game perspective.
I hope for more frequent firmware updates for this.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Found the TV I'm temporarily using allows one to disable certain inputs so I have it set up to simply switch between the WiiU and the TV.

Only problem is you get so used to controlling the WiiU from any direction that you forget you must point at the TV for it to register the TV controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom