• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those numbers are low.
Of course, some consoles could be waiting to be unopened as presents for the Holidays, but that is still a tiny number.
I really wonder why they made the Wii U Wi-Fi set up so much harder than the 3DS?
And of course, patching the Wii Us will be a problem - how can these people download it?

oh yeah forgot about the xmas thing

I think that is the total number of posts in that community. Not users or unique users.

no I tested this when a few hours before EU launched and they had many communities with 7 - 20 posts it was unique users from what I could tell it did not count the same person twice also you can delete your posts the number does not go backwards

japtor

It's just a shame how noisy it gets with a disk in the drive even if you not playing that game. (Not original Xbox 360 noisy but close).
I'm kind of wishing I bought Sonic and Mario digitally cause the disc noise.

...but more cause swapping discs is annoying vs just launching a game from a menu.

CLEEK

Isn't the number just those who have posted something?

Even if there we're 600,000 online consoles and everyone had Mario, it doesn't mean that's they'd all post to Miiverse about it.

Something like the 1% Rule could be applying here.

According to Smiles, it says Participants in the Miiverse manual

I understand the concern I with the manual came out and said Unique it would be easier, my post above is the way that they worded it, so I am going with Unique Users from the little testing I've done.

for those who need it the Manual is found under

User Menu > Settings/Other > Manual > 8 | Communities > [2]

Madouu

If there's that many users that actively posted something I'd say that's actually pretty good. Just think about how many people lurk in threads vs actually posting in them.

Yup, not everybody wants to participate in such things. I think those numbers are pretty good.

I've lurked here for a long while before making an account, and then posting my first message :D

I think a lot of people might not have figured out how to connect the console to the internet yet too. 15% isn't bad for right now

Also, many people wait until Christmas to open up their gifts. If their parent or SO bought them a Wii U as a present, then you won't see them until around December 24th. Let's check the number of people on the 25/26th

Downloading ZombiU and boy is it ging slow.

Ditto. Took me 36 hours to download Sonic & All Stars Racing, so when I first started downloading ZombiU, I didn't expect to be able to play it for at least three days. At first it said it would only take 9 hours, and I was like, "Whoa! Alright, Nintendo, you got it together!" Checked on it half an hour later, and instead it said it would take 42 hours.

going to download later tonight or in the morning

Tekken and Scribblenauts

since Batman is too good to join eShop downloads these may be my last for the year Puddle + Toki Tori 2 may change that.

that Avengers game does not look so hot

I'm online but I have no interest in posting on or even browsing MiiVerse.

Looks like a bunch of doodles... Not sure what is so interesting about that.

CLEEK

I'm not sure how one person from Australia doing a test means that everyone in the world is downloading from servers in Japan. :S

I didn't say it was the case. I just said it could be.

It's easy enough to check. You just need a PC/laptop and two peices of free software.

Privoxy - install this, and it will run a proxy server on your PC/laptop. the default port is 8118. Then in any device you want to to use this, enter the IP of your PC in the option for proxy servers. Then your device (in this case Wiiu) will access the internet via your PC.

NetBlanacer Free is a tool to see the traffic and connection in/out from your PC. Once the proxy server is running, open this up and click on Privoxy.exe to show the connections and network utilisation of the WiiU. There should be one connection showing, and it will give you the download speed in KB/s. You can also right click it and chose 'Trace' and it will do a a trace route to show where in the world you are downloading from.

deviljho

I'm not sure how one person from Australia doing a test means that everyone in the world is downloading from servers in Japan. :S

OMG, what if Wii U servers were not only all in Japan, but they all stored data on external hard drives and transmitted over wireless.

O.M.G. =D

rpmurphy

I didn't say it was the case. I just said it could be.

It's easy enough to check. You just need a PC/laptop and two peices of free software.

Privoxy - install this, and it will run a proxy server on your PC/laptop. the default port is 8118. Then in any device you want to to use this, enter the IP of your PC in the option for proxy servers. Then your device (in this case Wiiu) will access the internet via your PC.

NetBlanacer Free is a tool to see the traffic and connection in/out from your PC. Once the proxy server is running, open this up and click on Privoxy.exe to show the connections and network utilisation of the WiiU. There should be one connection showing, and it will give you the download speed in KB/s. You can also right click it and chose 'Trace' and it will do a a trace route to show where in the world you are downloading from.
Yeah, I'd like to try it myself to see what the deal is with the download speeds when I have the time. It's just a bit of an overreaction for anyone (not in Oceania) based on one finding when there are a host of possibilities for the issue.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Smiles, isn't that number for people who have posted in the NintendoLand community? If so, I'm sure there are quite a few people who have the WiiU without Nintendoland, or either just haven't cared to post in that specific community. Adding that to the potential amount of WiiUs bought for Christmas day plus the usual consumers not connecting to the internet, I really don't think close to 100,000 unique posting users for Nintendoland is a bad number.

Didn't say it was everyone. Just saying he shouldn't have to be downloading from Japan is all. I don't know enough about the topic to really be able to say one way or another, but that much seems pretty reasonable to me lol

FStop7

Banned
So I've now had my Wii U for 3 days.

I had no problems with wi-fi or setup in general besides the first update being slow (about 1 hour to download and install.)

I have had zero lockups in about 15 hours combined playtime between Nintendoland, Miiverse, and ZombiU.

Am I really that lucky?

Bah help!

I've been trying at this update thing for close to 4 hours now and it's not even close to 25 percent(after all this time) and I keep getting error message 108-0065...but my connection is fine...nothing else is connected wirelessly, my computer is hooked up via ethernet and the PS3 is as well (Though it isn't on obviously)...I don't get it because the Xbox and PS3 both could download stuff just as large in a shorter amount of time and the connection was always solid. I really want to play with my friend but this many issues out of the box is kinda irritating.

So I've now had my Wii U for 3 days.

I had no problems with wi-fi or setup in general besides the first update being slow (about 1 hour to download and install.)

I have had zero lockups in about 15 hours combined playtime between Nintendoland, Miiverse, and ZombiU.

Am I really that lucky?

I did good through about thirty hours total playtime, then had a total freeze during a BLOPS2 play. Don't get too cocky...

CLEEK

My wi-fi connected fine. Firmware update downloaded and installed faster than most. The only issue I've had has been with the slow download (and very slow install) of NSMBU.

No lock ups or crashes, and put in loads of hours into Nintendo Land, Mario, Tekken or Nano Assault.

I think the wi-fi thing must be overblown and/or end user stupidity.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Yep. My sole complaint with the Wii U so far, is that the installation time estimates are really off. Will install in 3 seconds..... A minute later, it says 2 seconds....

Yep. My sole complaint with the Wii U so far, is that the installation time estimates are really off. Will install in 3 seconds..... A minute later, it says 2 seconds....

I just pretend that 00:01 Remaining means one more minute. I came to this conclusion after seeing something along the lines of "A few more seconds remaining." That message would be unnecessary if 00:05 denoted five more seconds, for example.

Or the estimates are just really inaccurate.

zroid

Banned
Uh... it DOES mean minute

It's hh:mm

Hence why when it dips below 00:01, it says "Under 1 minute". There is no second timer shown.

CLEEK

There is a reason why it takes one minute for the timer to go down from 00:03 to 00:02, and I find it incredible you don't know what that reason is.

Man, I bet you often get food poisoning from under cooking your food in a microwave.

Edit: or is that overcooking? I've fucked up one way or another.

PhantomR

Banned
I dunno if it's a minority or not, but it's not an insignificant number of people. It's a well-documented problem, even outside GAF.

Outside of gaming forums, it's not.

Not even gaming news sites or blogs are reporting this, because its a non-issue. It's a very unfortunate, yet very small and vocal group of folks having this issue. And based on this, I'm pretty confident that it could be issues with their individual setup. Not a "Nintendo screw-up".

PhantomR

Banned
Didn't say it was everyone. Just saying he shouldn't have to be downloading from Japan is all. I don't know enough about the topic to really be able to say one way or another, but that much seems pretty reasonable to me lol

He's in Australia, therefore he falls under NCL's jurisdiction as far as distribution is concerned. That's probably why.

If you ran that same test here in North America (or South Ameriica), I'm willing to bet that it will route to NOA's servers.

dmr87

Same here, no problems with my wi-fi, the firmware/OS update were very slow (around 1h), and I'm on 100mbit so there is a plug somewhere along the way. I'm in Europe.

NeoRausch

And of course, patching the Wii Us will be a problem - how can these people download it?

well, they could make updates mandatory when you put in a new game. which is what they did with wii games. put update on disk and give people no chance not to install it.
and after that you prompt the wifi connection screen.
i guess the first batch of games coudn't have the final patch 'cause it wasn't ready to be on the gamediscs.

Couldn't think of a better thread to ask this in, and didn't think it warranted another thread, so yeah.

What's the deal with Nintendo Network Premium? Does it just automatically happen? I bought NSMBU on the eshop today, so shouldn't I have $5 sitting in the shop? I don't see anything there.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Anyone have a list of the games that support the Pro Controller?

Couldn't think of a better thread to ask this in, and didn't think it warranted another thread, so yeah.

What's the deal with Nintendo Network Premium? Does it just automatically happen? I bought NSMBU on the eshop today, so shouldn't I have $5 sitting in the shop? I don't see anything there.

Supposed to start this month, you have to visit ddp.nintendo.com to activate it I think.

Program will roll out later this month. Current and prior purchases count.

+Aliken+

If there's that many users that actively posted something I'd say that's actually pretty good. Just think about how many people lurk in threads vs actually posting in them.

This.

I agree, I would assume only a small % of people are actually active.

Smiles, isn't that number for people who have posted in the NintendoLand community? If so, I'm sure there are quite a few people who have the WiiU without Nintendoland, or either just haven't cared to post in that specific community. Adding that to the potential amount of WiiUs bought for Christmas day plus the usual consumers not connecting to the internet, I really don't think close to 100,000 unique posting users for Nintendoland is a bad number.

yep that number was Nintendo Land community only I had it in the first post

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wii U analog sticks are probably the best I've ever used. From Zombi U, to the Octopus game in Nintendo Land, from Chasing Aurora to NSMBU, they are suited to the most diverse games. Coming from nunchuck and Dual Shock sticks, it's a revelation.

He's in Australia, therefore he falls under NCL's jurisdiction as far as distribution is concerned. That's probably why.

If you ran that same test here in North America (or South Ameriica), I'm willing to bet that it will route to NOA's servers.

Thanks. It's nice to get a little info and clarity on the underlying workings of it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wii U analog sticks are probably the best I've ever used. From Zombi U, to the Octopus game in Nintendo Land, from Chasing Aurora to NSMBU, they are suited to the most diverse games. Coming from nunchuck and Dual Shock sticks, it's a revelation.

Dual Shock has never had good sticks. Well, I haven't really used a DS3, I wonder if they improved them any for that.

After two weeks spent with WiiU controller I decided to play some games on xbox today. OMG, I felt like a giant holding that little tiny controller in my hands. It is extremely difficult to play games with normal controller now, I got so used to the WiiU controller that when I play on xbox I look down on my controller every few minutes to check inventory, map etc. lol

After two weeks spent with WiiU controller I decided to play some games on xbxox today. OMG, I felt like a giant holding that little tiny controller in my hands. It is extremely difficult to play games with normal controller now, I got so used to the WiiU controller that when I play on xbox I look down on my controller every few minutes to check inventory, map etc. lol

I had a similar experience. While playing Dark Souls on PS3, I hit the home button in an attempt to write a post on Miiverse :^/

BowieZ

Banned
After two weeks spent with WiiU controller I decided to play some games on xbxox today. OMG, I felt like a giant holding that little tiny controller in my hands. It is extremely difficult to play games with normal controller now, I got so used to the WiiU controller that when I play on xbox I look down on my controller every few minutes to check inventory, map etc. lol
This is why Nintendo has led the way once again; expect Microsoft to employ a SmartGlass style device in X.72K

Jackano

5 days until the Japan flood

So 3 or 4 days before the japanese lines?

Ok time to post something about the Wii -> Wii U mostly and the lack of consistency from Nintendo:
- First, why the main dashboard features 5 icons on the bottom of the gamepad screen (Miiverse, browser, etc) when hitting the home button you have two more (friend list and downloads)? It's even more inconsistant because Nintendo TVii is here but doesn't work yet in Europe. (and the friend list is usefull from the dashboard - Oh and the notes app from the DS series doesn't exists!)...
- Second, what the frak in LoveFilm (in Europe)? The app doesn't do anything, it speak about registering but all you can do is... delete it. I want to try the free month as quick as possible!

- And third, all the Wii Connect 24 stuff from the Wii... it wasn't a big deal (weather and news channels), but it was pretty cool and I think Nintendo is cheap as hell to have not remake it for the Wii U. Backward compatibility with usage of the gamepad is one thing, likely more complex (even if it's cheap too to not having it from the start), but the Mii channel (the one where you can grab awesome user generated Miis), weather and news... In almost two years ( from the 2010 E3 reveal), Nintendo didn't have the ressources (like 10 guys for 3 months of work) to make it happen? Damn... The "something new, every day, for everyone" was a very good politic, and Miiverse was the perfect addition to this. Now, it's just a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom