• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

DrBo42

Pergo is apparently a Brazilian server as well. After playing on Warsong on WoW, I'm not a huge fan of language barriers in MMOs, especially if this game is going to be CC dependent.

I did not know that. Now I'm kinda regretting the decision. Brazilian MMO players...I don't know why they're so bad.

Edit: Can you link where you're getting that info from?

Somnia

It's a choice between dealing with some BRs or dealing with a lot of Australians. I can at least try to communicate with the Australians but that usually ends badly.

eh some of our best guildies are Australian, good group of players.

Uthred

Is it going to be six character slots at launch as well? Only enough for one of each class in a two faction game feels a bit limited (though practically wont be an issue for months I suppose)

Jarnet87

Never had a problem with Australians in MMOs. Knew some in WoW on Blackrock that were friendly and really good players.

Brazilian/South American players do get a lot of heat, especially in games like DoTA 2. Some of are bad and refuse to even try cooperating with the team, and some are very good and fun to play with. Same goes for any group I guess. Just cause they speak English doesn't mean they are automatically going to be better. Been plenty of games with American players who troll and mess around causing a team to lose.

Einbroch

Banned
There's nothing wrong with Brazilian players at all. The issue stems from the past and how we view them now.

Brazil grew quickly as a market for gaming. They played a lot of F2P games because anything imported is taxed to hell. Because they're located in Brazil, their ping is worse, and thus they are "worse players". Because they've been "worse players" for years, they earned a reputation. If you're a US citizen, imagine if every time you said something slightly arrogant someone said "fucking Americans, cocky assholes". That's how Brazilians feel. They make a bad play and people go "gtfo br huehue". Throw in the language barrier and people get upset.

It's sad.

DrBo42

There's nothing wrong with Brazilian players at all. The issue stems from the past and how we view them now.

Brazil grew quickly as a market for gaming. They played a lot of F2P games because anything imported is taxed to hell. Because they're located in Brazil, their ping is worse, and thus they are "worse players". Because they've been "worse players" for years, they earned a reputation. If you're a US citizen, imagine if every time you said something slightly arrogant someone said "fucking Americans, cocky assholes". That's how Brazilians feel. They make a bad play and people go "gtfo br huehue". Throw in the language barrier and people get upset.

It's sad.

Perception is definitely some of it. If you click on the link reddit discussion above there's even BR players trying to avoid a BR server for the same issues I try to avoid them. I dunno.

As for Australians it might be just bad luck. Seems like anytime I play with some it's an obnoxious kid or turns into some fuck the US crap.

KePoW

Banned
As for Australians it might be just bad luck. Seems like anytime I play with some it's an obnoxious kid or turns into some fuck the US crap.

Haha that's awesome. Most Australians I've played with (which is not many) hate America too

Okay. Is the "1" ability in GW2 spammable? Yes? Then, in this case, does having "white damage" (autoattack, not your "1" ability) add anything to the gameplay?

That's all I'm saying. White damage adds nothing.

Edit: Sorry if this sounds confrontational, reading it back and it kinda does. Not my intention.

I just told you in my post what it adds. When white damage is independent of any other attacks (and therefore not linked to any choice), then it indeed adds zero (the choice is between spamming and not spamming, with the former being the obvious, universal best choice and therefore a non-choice). When your other abilities interrupt your "1" ability, then it becomes a non-trivial choice whether to interrupt it or not. Say I'm playing a sword Mesmer. The third hit on their sword "1" combo removes one buff on the enemy, but the combo resets if I use any other ability. I just landed the second hit in my "1" string, but I want to use another skill (say, a high-damage ability that just went off-cooldown, or a counter ability for an attack the enemy is winding up). Do I go through with using an ability, meaning I'm delaying the buff removal until, at the very least, after the ability I want to use AND three "1" ability hits (possibly more if other abilities become a priority as well). Do I wait until my third hit lands, removing one buff but potentially lowering damage done, or not protecting myself from the enemy's attack? Does the enemy have a powerful buff I want removed ASAP? Again, this adds a layer of choice that is entirely absent from games where white damage is an independent damage channel.

So to speak the choice is not so much whether or not to use the "1" ability, as whether to interrupt it with something else. For the record, Guild Wars 2 lets you set any ability to autocast, including the "1" ability which is set as such by default.

In fact, even if combos and abilities that do more damage at the end of channeling were not to
exist in GW2, the fact that they're still interrupted by other abilities (often ones that will do less damage, but have other effects) make that a meaningful choice too. Is it worth it to stop attacking for the time it takes me to cast an utility skill (which does no damage but obviously helps me in less obvious ways)? Should I keep attacking or dodge? And so on.

Yet another way Guild Wars 2 makes it also more interesting is the fact that every ability, including the "autoattack", can and will whiff if the enemy takes a step back, dodges, etc. This is unlike WoW, where if your characters commits to attacking, it will miss or be dodged only via stats.

Check the list of "1" skills per class for such an innocent, simple weapon as a sword. Try to find one that is just "plain white damage".
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sword
If you're curious, repeat this exercise for each weapon in the game. :)

Edit: Didn't take your post as confrontational, don't worry. I just didn't realize until now I had a reply. (WTB old "who quoted me" feature :/ ).

Einbroch

Banned
I just told you in my post what it adds. When white damage is independent of any other attacks (and therefore not linked to any choice), then it indeed adds zero (the choice is between spamming and not spamming, with the former being the obvious, universal best choice and therefore a non-choice).

This is what I'm talking about. This is all I'm talking about. I'm not disagreeing with anything else you're saying. :p

White damage, the damage you get from just right clicking and doing nothing else, nothing at all, adds nothing, because it is automatic and requires no input. Comboing your "spammable" 1 attack does add something, like in GW2, because every part of the combo is different.

Anyone have a link to a good "guide" of the paths like what they offer for endgame ect. I think I would like Explorer but if its useless other than jumping I may aswell not take it

npanciroli

Neo Member
I didn't even realize there was crafting until today. I thought that's what the paths replaced. Somehow I missed reading about them. Was going to play Exiles but decided I would rather join GAF guild instead so there is people to play with.

Still thinking Stalker-Explorer but figure I'll decide once i see the character creation the first time.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
two questions.

what is it looking like the most GAF-dominated NA server will be?

this is a bit trickier.. I want to get the pre-order for this for the goodies. I may even be up for playing in the headstart. However I am currently in the god awful atma grind for FFXIV and don't quite want to temporarily hang it up on that game yet. So... can I buy the pre-order (yes) and NOT activate the 30 day included time immediately, while still a) at the very minimum getting entitlement to the pre-order goodies and b) even better yet still getting entitlement to the 3 day head start (i.e. take a 3 day break from FFXIV and then come back to WS like within the next month or two)

Xiaoki

It's sad.

My WoW realm was connected to a Brazilian server in the Battle Group so I saw a lot of Brazilian players in Group Finder and Raid Finder and ping was not even close to being the reason that Brazilians have a bad reputation.

two questions.

If you want a PvE server, then Orias is the server for the main guild and it is Dominion according to the OP.

If you want a PvP server, then Pergo or Widow... there doesn't seem to be a coordinated effort here.

demonkaze

Was wondering if there was an EU Gaf guild being set up and if not, where are most EU players going. I'd like to be in the Gaf guild if possible but not sure if it would be a good idea to roll on a US server.

On another note, I purchased the digital standard edition a long time ago off the official site and was wondering if there's an option to upgrade to the digital deluxe at all anywhere?

Mastamind

two questions.

this is a bit trickier.. I want to get the pre-order for this for the goodies. I may even be up for playing in the headstart. However I am currently in the god awful atma grind for FFXIV and don't quite want to temporarily hang it up on that game yet. So... can I buy the pre-order (yes) and NOT activate the 30 day included time immediately, while still a) at the very minimum getting entitlement to the pre-order goodies and b) even better yet still getting entitlement to the 3 day head start (i.e. take a 3 day break from FFXIV and then come back to WS like within the next month or two)

Purchase it physically from somewhere like gamestop. You'll get a preorder code on the receipt which will give you the preorder goodies and headstart. Then you'll have to enter your retail code next week after the grace period or whenever you're ready to play.

Was wondering if there was an EU Gaf guild being set up and if not, where are most EU players going. I'd like to be in the Gaf guild if possible but not sure if it would be a good idea to roll on a US server.

On another note, I purchased the digital standard edition a long time ago off the official site and was wondering if there's an option to upgrade to the digital deluxe at all anywhere?

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/preorder/ or whatever your local wildstar preorder page is.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
If you want a PvE server, then Orias is the server for the main guild and it is Dominion according to the OP.

If you want a PvP server, then Pergo or Widow... there doesn't seem to be a coordinated effort here.

ok, TBH I am honestly not sure. Are PvE servers PvP-optional/flag? Is open world PVP fun or meaningful in this game?

demonkaze

Purchase it physically from somewhere like gamestop. You'll get a preorder code on the receipt which will give you the preorder goodies and headstart. Then you'll have to enter your retail code next week after the grace period or whenever you're ready to play.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/preorder/ or whatever your local wildstar preorder page is.

Thanks for that, no idea how I missed that!

What healer is recommended as the best healer for adventures/dungeons/raids? I played a Medic up to the first adventure during the beta and kind of enjoyed it but never got a chance to try out the others.

M.Steiner

Unfortunately this will depend on your copy of the game & account due to their region restrictions. As such, EU peeps with EU copies (like myself) can only play on the EU servers. You can't pick and choose, sadly.
No EU GAF guild by the looks of it (correct me if I'm wrong), but it'd be nice if there was one shortly after launch. Going by the last couple of pages Hazak seems to be the popular choice atm (pvp and both factions) followed by Ascendancy.

Uthred

in the same boat, i'll probably do some research tonight into some of the benefits of each profession.

Interested in the "perks" of each profession as well, I imagine architect will be a good money spinner early on. Though as you can swap tradeskills in and out I suppose it ultimately doesnt matter.

I honestly should've done this months ago. I will spearhead a GAF guild on Pergo. (if I can get at least 10 people to join with me) Need to know what faction people want? So if you are interested, quote and vote! Exile or Dominion!

Bruno

I did not know that. Now I'm kinda regretting the decision. Brazilian MMO players...I don't know why they're so bad.

Edit: Can you link where you're getting that info from?

The BR community on Pergo will be like 0.5% of the population

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hmm, not too sure what region of the game I have, where can I find out what I have?

If you're in Europe and ordered straight from Carbine on the Wildstar website store then you have a European region copy. Also evidenced by the fact you'll only be able to log in on the .eu authentication server in-game when logging in.
I'd be up for joining an EU Gaf Guild if one is around or pops up?
Theres nothing in the OT for one at the moment.

Quite a few of us seem to be going to Hazek (PVP), Exile. I'm more than happy to get together a guild of some sort at the very least as a stop-gap before we find some other raiding guild peeps to join up with.

demonkaze

If you're in Europe and ordered straight from Carbine on the Wildstar website store then you have a European region copy. Also evidenced by the fact you'll only be able to log in on the .eu authentication server in-game when logging in.

Quite a few of us seem to be going to Hazek (PVP), Exile. I'm more than happy to get together a guild of some sort at the very least as a stop-gap before we find some other raiding guild peeps to join up with.

Sounds good to me.

Ugh I don't know what to do about a guild I don't care for dominion I'm pretty new to mmo's in general so I don't want to join a ultra organized no fuck ups guild and I have a fear of being the one to ruin something for everyone (dungeons,raids etc.) Maybe I should just stay solo for a bit until I really get a grasp on all the mmo stuff

Dunlop

ok, TBH I am honestly not sure. Are PvE servers PvP-optional/flag? Is open world PVP fun or meaningful in this game?

PVE servers are PVP flaggable

I am starting on a PVP server (Pergo) because of the guild I joined, but I don't think Open World PVP is that meaningful (you do get XP for kills) and the more I read about the insane addons that can literally track you as a quest marker I am questioning my decision lol.

Could be ganking hell

Somnia

Ugh I don't know what to do about a guild I don't care for dominion I'm pretty new to mmo's in general so I don't want to join a ultra organized no fuck ups guild and I have a fear of being the one to ruin something for everyone (dungeons,raids etc.) Maybe I should just stay solo for a bit until I really get a grasp on all the mmo stuff

Honeslty find a good friendly guild on the exile side and join them. You'll lean more and have more fun as a new mmo player with other players.

I honestly should've done this months ago. I will spearhead a GAF guild on Pergo. (if I can get at least 10 people to join with me) Need to know what faction people want? So if you are interested, quote and vote! Exile or Dominion!

According to the OP the GAF guild is the Acolytes on Widow, no?

Top Bottom