• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Nekrono

LogicalFallacy
Foaloal
th4tguy
Caedmon
gogosox82
Valru
Ourobolus
Mr. Hyde
ocho
W1SSY
cwmartin
Hey_Blinkin
Muddimar
Beef
Ultracon
Trace
Nekrono

Later people who want to be on the list, please copy/paste the list in its entirety (including these rules) and add yourself to the end. Our heroic and handsome code-givers, please also copy/paste the list with strike tags to indicate those to whom you generously gave your codes.

Gave codes to the two striked out people. Please remove self from the list when you have accepted the code.

Added myself to the list, this MMO seems fun and promising, would love to try it first before buying.

docbon

Crafting in this game is fucking bananas. You have so much control over the stat allocation, with some added RNG for special effects and efficiency of stat distribution. Here's a rare item I crafted about an hour ago:

sQBTwFR.jpg

Since I rolled the armor bonus passive, I decided to add a fuckton of base armor, with some health on the side. Because I had to choose three stats to put on the item, I added a tiny bit of strikethrough as well.

Virdix

May want to change the OT I added the person for the Widow server "Somnia" and got ignored and said they're not in the GAF guild?

Edit: Yeah, I screwed up. Just assumed because it was in the OT it was a GAF guild, my bad.

LtOrange

I can't rember the last mmo to launch with this much content. It is borderline overwhelming the amount of things I want to tryout.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Wtf. I get MAYBE 100fps in my housing plot. 28-40fps in Exile city. Also 28-40fps in Quest hubs.

i7 3820 OC'ed and watercooled. R9 290. I have two R9 290's actually but whatevs, this game don't give a fuck. I can run my GPU at 300mhz, 70% slower than stock, and my FPS doesn't budge.

It is definitely a higher spec problem, as I said before I've got a 770 and changing settings does absolutely nothing.

aka_bueno

This game is too good!

I haven't been able to play as much as most, maybe like 2 good several hour sessions and 1 mini one. But I decided to take a break from the rapid bulk questing I was doing to do other stuff. I seriously enjoyed the crap out of my time with Wildstar today and it mostly consisted of a few PvP matches, setting up/decorating my house and a whole bunch of crafting. Also worked on a few Path quests (Settler).

I LOVE the crafting in this game, it's confusing at first but once you figure out how it works you really have a lot of control to fine tune.

Got to level 21 today, might go back for 22 after the patch.

lexi

Banned
It is definitely a higher spec problem, as I said before I've got a 770 and changing settings does absolutely nothing.

Yeah changing settings does little to nothing for me, either. I can run at Ultra Low with NES style graphics and still be getting sub 40 fps in Thayd, Galeras hubs, etc. Extremely annoying.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Last night I learnt how awesome analyze weakness is on the stalker class. Holy shit that just smokes mobs while leveling.

Made me a happy man last night.

Salamando

I can't rember the last mmo to launch with this much content. It is borderline overwhelming the amount of things I want to tryout.

So much content, yet there's no Mechari or Mordesh house stuff. So sad.

#1 Thing I need to remember about this game is that I don't have to do it all. I don't have to complete all quests...I don' have to full out every single item in my crafting tree...I don't have to compete in every challenge I get......

dengatron

interested in getting into this. took a guest pass to see if it grabs me. anyone have any knowledge as to end game damage per class? i typically play a melee damage role, but i'd play anything in a damage role as long as it's fun and performs. suggestions?

TheYanger

interested in getting into this. took a guest pass to see if it grabs me. anyone have any knowledge as to end game damage per class? i typically play a melee damage role, but i'd play anything in a damage role as long as it's fun and performs. suggestions?

Eh, I mean since there are no 'pure' dps classes, the goal is obviously total parity. That obviously also won't ever be reached, but it does mean rolling flavor of the month is silly - your class is just destined to be nerfed when others are buffed if you do. Right now Stalkers and Warriros are like the top DPS though so both are good choices.

Got up to 45 tonight before the server went down. Man, wilderrun was a drag in terms of levelling speed, but Malgrave is beastmode, like an hour a level easy. Farside top zone for fun, Malgrave top zone for pure unadulterated questing speed thusfar for me.

Alrus

So I tried to log-in and the game tells me that "No realms are available at this time", which is weird since it says the servers are up... I checked and my guest pass is registered correctly so I don't know why it's happening :(

Ken

So I tried to log-in and the game tells me that "No realms are available at this time", which is weird since it says the servers are up... I checked and my guest pass is registered correctly so I don't know why it's happening :(

maint

DrBo42

This is becoming an obsession of mine: why this game performs so badly.

Behold:

exhibit a. CPU overclocked at 4.3ghz, GPU overclocked.
http://i.imgur.com/7TWl04j.jpg

exhibit b. CPU downclocked to 2.3ghz, GPU downclocked as far it will go in Afterburner
http://i.imgur.com/x9AmqwS.jpg

3fps difference. Margin of error shit. Virtually indistinguishable while playing.

Personally the biggest performance bonus I got was from both disabling vsync and setting max rendered frames to 1 in the nvidia control panel.

Uthred

I could live with the dungeon loot drops not been "true random", when you see soulbound stuff drop that no-one can use its a little disheartening

erragal

The scary part is they designed top down so the content actually gets better as you level.

I had a lot of hype going in based on the combat system choices alone. I figured it'd bw the normal power to cap before the real fun begins.

Nah this game is 100% pure joy from about level 15 onward.

The one issue I see some people having is wrapping their head around the idea that dungeons may not be for all players. No mmo has ever had 5 mans with this level of execution burden on all roles even just starting out.

Remember guys: because of telegraphs healers are watching everything all of you do. As long as they aren't being dicks if one of them sees something it's good to listen; especially if you're a bunny hopping melee.

Oh and pls don't dodge two more times for 'good measure' if you're cleanly out of the telegraph. You probably are dodging a heal :)

TheContact

I'm debating whether to buy this right now. I would like a MMO filler in between WoD. Is it worth the box price and the sub? If so, how is the engineer class? Can you place turrets down?

Edit: Actually, add me to the list, I'd rather try it out for 7 days than pay $60 to find out I don't like it like I've done with almost every new MMO out there. I should note I'm US

LogicalFallacy
Foaloal
th4tguy
Caedmon
gogosox82
Valru
Ourobolus
Mr. Hyde
ocho
W1SSY
cwmartin
Hey_Blinkin
Muddimar
Beef
Ultracon
Trace
Nekrono
Carfo - US
Fine Ham Abounds
Donny Hayabusa

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
th4tguy
Caedmon
gogosox82

Valru
Ourobolus
Mr. Hyde
ocho
W1SSY
cwmartin
Hey_Blinkin
Muddimar
Beef
Ultracon
Trace
Nekrono

Later people who want to be on the list, please copy/paste the list in its entirety (including these rules) and add yourself to the end. Our heroic and handsome code-givers, please also copy/paste the list with strike tags to indicate those to whom you generously gave your codes.

I gave codes to the bolded ones. I have no idea how to put a strike through something.

Kafiend was kind enough to give me a trial code yesterday, but unfortunately it appears to be an EU code and I'm an NA player so I'll leave it here:

If anyone could hook me up with an NA code I would really appreciate it!

Tacosmell

Banned
Hello im a NA member, was wondering if someone had a guest pass code.
Name is Elodie, pls send the pass code to my email : elchanchodiablo@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance, also i wouldnt mind some help when playing so let me know of your server and player name.

Thank you

Oh, we're key begging now?

Cuz I'm all about key begging

th4tguy
Caedmon
gogosox82

Valru
Ourobolus
Mr. Hyde
ocho
W1SSY
cwmartin
Hey_Blinkin
Muddimar
Beef
Ultracon
Trace
Nekrono
Fine Ham Abounds

I've already played the beta, but if everyone else is taken care of, I surely wouldn't turn down a spare US key.

Valru
Ourobolus
Mr. Hyde
ocho
W1SSY
cwmartin
Hey_Blinkin
Muddimar
Beef
Ultracon
Trace
Nekrono
DonnyHayabusa

Yeah changing settings does little to nothing for me, either. I can run at Ultra Low with NES style graphics and still be getting sub 40 fps in Thayd, Galeras hubs, etc. Extremely annoying.

The game is not GPU intensive, your 770 does very little in this game. Changing graphical options like that won't make it perform any better because your graphics card is handling things just fine. It's very CPU bound. I have an i5-3570k and a 760 and i get 60+ fps everywhere, with drops occasionally in specific areas while out questing.

Jag

Oh and pls don't dodge two more times for 'good measure' if you're cleanly out of the telegraph. You probably are dodging a heal :)

I tanked a pug by accident (I forgot I queued as tank) and we completed it with only a few wipes. As a Stalker Tank, it's tough to figure out what telegraphs to 'eat' and what to dodge. I actually did what you said. I'll dodge once and eat the second so I don't dodge out of a heal. The healers had no clue either, but we were all WoW vets apparently so years of training kicked in!

Otherwise Stalker tanking was similar to Bear tanking in WoW except it's pretty much swipe, thrash, growl, dodge, repeat.

StMeph

Sunk all of my gold into housing. I have my level 10 mount, and the CE provides a hoverboard, so I figure I have about 20-25g to play with in housing. Probably have burned about 12g so far, but still haven't gotten it to where I'd like it to be.

My main gripe is that windows are ornamental and do nothing. It makes everythign feel cramped. My secondary gripe is that the house is really just a room. There's a lot to do to make it more house-like, but the no-windows thing also really drives this point home.

Still, I spent a long time on this last night, and I expect to spend a lot more messing around with details and adding things. Time to hit up some design ideas.

lexi

Banned
The game is not GPU intensive, your 770 does very little in this game. Changing graphical options like that won't make it perform any better because your graphics card is handling things just fine. It's very CPU bound. I have an i5-3570k and a 760 and i get 60+ fps everywhere, with drops occasionally in specific areas while out questing.

Ok, it's CPU bound.

I have an i7 3820 and I most certainly don't get 60fps everywhere. Additionally downclocking my CPU from 4.3ghz to 2.3ghz makes no difference to my performance. Shouldn't it get worse being so CPU bound?

HowZatOZ

Banned

I have a i7 3770k and get 40FPS on average, maybe 50-60 in the more open areas. Something is wrong with optimisation, though it could be the memory leak issue.

Ok, it's CPU bound.

I have an i7 3820 and I most certainly don't get 60fps everywhere. Additionally downclocking my CPU from 4.3ghz to 2.3ghz makes no difference to my performance. Shouldn't it get worse being so CPU bound?

Check a few things:

On the main menu make sure it's running the 64 bit client by looking at the text in the top right. some people's games are being wonky and running the 32 bit client.

Have you been playing since closed beta? if so, did you do the deleting the folder in appdata trick? if you didn't i can link you. it may help performance.

Does dropping view distance have any fps gain for you?

I'm Dominion so i can't really comment on how exile zones perform. I get 60 in Illium, but it may be that Thayd has some issues. Another exile player could comment better if they get poor FPS there as well.

I have a i7 3770k and get 40FPS on average, maybe 50-60 in the more open areas. Something is wrong with optimisation, though it could be the memory leak issue.

There seem to be some weird quirks with i7s and this game. I've seen some say that turning off hyper threading really helps their FPS strangely enough.

Geoff9920

Yeah, the game seems very CPU bound at the moment. Having a 4770k seems to help a lot more than a high-end graphics card. Hopefully we'll see some additional CPU optimizations over the next several months

lexi

Banned
Hyperthreading doesn't make that much of a difference anymore. There was a time when disabling it improved performance, not so much anymore.

I'm running the 64bit client, I've only played since open beta, dropping view distance gains maybe a few FPS, but dropping everything to low and I still run at sub 40fps in towns and hubs. Any quest hub.

At this stage I'm pinning my hopes on it being a major AMD GPU driver issue.

Hyperthreading doesn't make that much of a difference anymore. There was a time when disabling it improved performance, not so much anymore.

I'm running the 64bit client, I've only played since open beta, dropping view distance gains maybe a few FPS, but dropping everything to low and I still run at sub 40fps in towns and hubs.

At this stage I'm pinning my hopes on it being a major AMD GPU driver issue.

View distance is one of the few graphical options that is tied to the CPU, most of the others are tied to GPU. Dropping it giving you FPS makes me think it's something with your CPU, but i'm really not sure since your CPU is more powerful than mine yet you're getting worse performance. Hopefully they will put out fixes for whatever is causing your FPS issues since you definitely should be getting better than 40. On the plus side they said they won't stop optimizing the game, so it should get better with each patch (hopefully).

For what it's worth, during Ops week I caught Buiden in Thayd taking performance measurements.

Seems like they know that FPS is a problem in that area and are working to optimize problem areas specifically in addition to overall engine optimizations.

lexi

Banned
View distance is one of the few graphical options that is tied to the CPU, most of the others are tied to GPU. Dropping it giving you FPS makes me think it's something with your CPU, but i'm really not sure since your CPU is more powerful than mine yet you're getting worse performance. Hopefully they will put out fixes for whatever is causing your FPS issues since you definitely should be getting better than 40. On the plus side they said they won't stop optimizing the game, so it should get better with each patch (hopefully).

It's definitely CPU related. I think going from 4.3ghz to 2.3ghz and seeing no performance change surely reflects that.

kch

Performance is really troublesome for sure. Not only does it not run that great on my rig (i5-2500k @4.2ghz, 8bg RAM, gtx 780, win 8.1), but I get desktopcrashes quite often, maybe at least one every hour, and since the latest update/hotfix I keep getting clientfreezes randomly. Freezes the game completely for about 1-2 seconds. It's a real bummer since it's killing my enjoyment with the game :(

Hoping for some sort of optimization update fairly soon.

*edit: I've also disabled all addons and tried a bunch of different settings but none have works so far.

Top Bottom