• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Nopren

Cheers.

Ourobolus
Mr. Hyde
ocho
W1SSY
cwmartin
Muddimar
Beef
Ultracon
Trace
Nekrono
DonnyHayabusa
Saften
SolVanderlyn
Murder, She Wrote
petethepanda
Orochinagis
Anilusion (eu)
Sillverrr (EU)
Bakerbakes
Fine Ham Abounds

Later people who want to be on the list, please copy/paste the list in its entirety (including these rules) and add yourself to the end. Our heroic and handsome code-givers, please also copy/paste the list with strike tags to indicate those to whom you generously gave your codes.

Latest update.

Ourobolus
Mr. Hyde
ocho
W1SSY
cwmartin
Muddimar
Beef
Ultracon
Trace
Nekrono
Saften
Fine Ham Abounds
DonnyHayabusa
SolVanderlyn
Murder, She Wrote
petethepanda
Orochinagis
Anilusion (eu)
Sillverrr (EU)
Bakerbakes

Later people who want to be on the list, please copy/paste the list in its entirety (including these rules) and add yourself to the end. Our heroic and handsome code-givers, please also copy/paste the list with strike tags to indicate those to whom you generously gave your codes.

Removed myself from the list.

DonnyHayabusa
SolVanderlyn
Murder, She Wrote
petethepanda
Orochinagis
Anilusion (eu)
Sillverrr (EU)

Bakerbakes

Sent invites to EU people, still have one guest pass available.

Wondering when warrior will "bloom", I'm in the final bracket for pvp before level 50 and I'm just getting annihilated more than the other two. Yeah I can pad the damage meters by hitting everyone for 5k, but no one is actually dying and my damage is outhealed. Everyone's health went up like 3 fold in this bracket.

Bad first impressions from my first time playing llast night.

Looks bad (technically), runs bad, movement and camera feels janky, UI is a confusing mess, quest tracker is confusing and rote kill X and click on X quests as far as the eye can see.

Not sure I ever want to play it again.

That last part never changes, every single quest down to the last is go here and either kill x or collect x.

I'm playing as a Chua spellslinger and all the gear I'm getting from quests is for Esper class... Am I doing something wrong or game's bugged?

TheYanger

That last part never changes, every single quest down to the last is go here and either kill x or collect x.

Untrue. They are definitely mostly that, but also once you get into a rhythm with how the quests flow, you start to realize which quests you can skip easily. I started just doing all world and regional quests I found, while accepting the tasks and only doing them if they were almost done anyway by the time I had finished the rest. IE: kill moodies, and I do whatever other shit in the area, if it was like 70-80%? I'd finish it. 20-30? I'd drop it.

Not to mention the questing actually improves as you level, which surprised me. I hadn't gone all the way up in beta but there actually are a lot of really awesome quests. Not a huge fraction or anything, but it's definitely more wrath of the lich king level than burning crusade. Like on Farside, the moon (which has low gravity and is amazing to just run and jump around) you have quests where you swing around like spiderman, and hop into a starfighter to dogfight another guy. It's all still pretty basic but it's a nice change of pace. There were a handful like that in every zone past the first...maybe 2 or 3.

I don't think anyone here would argue the starting experience is lackluster, go back to the pre-launch thread from beta, but 5 bucks says this guy got to like, level 5. Which is essentially still pure hand holding. And to call the game ugly on a technical level is just ignorant :p

I'm playing as a Chua spellslinger and all the gear I'm getting from quests is for Esper class... Am I doing something wrong or game's bugged?

Espers and Spellslingers use the same gear? The stats are largely similar too.

Firehead

Looks like kafiend sent me a code, but it seems it's EU. Forgot to mention I'm in NA. Sorry, kafiend! :(

If someone in EU is looking for a trial code, PM me. I have one to giveaway. And thank kafiend as well. :)

(Also, mind putting me on the list again for people looking for an NA code? <3)

Look at this evil bastard enjoying hurting others.

jxCQXxv.jpg

Untrue. They are definitely mostly that, but also once you get into a rhythm with how the quests flow, you start to realize which quests you can skip easily. I started just doing all world and regional quests I found, while accepting the tasks and only doing them if they were almost done anyway by the time I had finished the rest. IE: kill moodies, and I do whatever other shit in the area, if it was like 70-80%? I'd finish it. 20-30? I'd drop it.

Not to mention the questing actually improves as you level, which surprised me. I hadn't gone all the way up in beta but there actually are a lot of really awesome quests. Not a huge fraction or anything, but it's definitely more wrath of the lich king level than burning crusade. Like on Farside, the moon (which has low gravity and is amazing to just run and jump around) you have quests where you swing around like spiderman, and hop into a starfighter to dogfight another guy. It's all still pretty basic but it's a nice change of pace. There were a handful like that in every zone past the first...maybe 2 or 3.

I don't think anyone here would argue the starting experience is lackluster, go back to the pre-launch thread from beta, but 5 bucks says this guy got to like, level 5. Which is essentially still pure hand holding. And to call the game ugly on a technical level is just ignorant :p

Espers and Spellslingers use the same gear? The stats are largely similar too.

Yea I don't agree with the other stuff he said, but you called what I said untrue and then went on to mention a quest where you go kill a guy...only in a starfighter, which, while cool, is still "go here and kill x."

The questing is pretty mindless, let's just call it what it is. No need for blind loyalty.

TheYanger

I see, I didn't even try to equip them since they were bolded in red.

I'm curious why that would be. The only item you don't share are weapons, and weapons from quests are ALWAYS class specific - you won't get spellslinger guns. The only other red you should see are medium and heavy armors, and I think I only encountered 1 or 2 quests in the game that didn't offer rewards for all 3. The stats might not always be ideal, but that's up to you to just look at and decide fi you want say, strikethrough of 30 rather than assault power of 20 or whatever. Obviously higher level stuff SHOULD be better, but you may not value it as much, and either way there should like 99% of the time be a choice that is light armor for you.

Yea I don't agree with the other stuff he said, but you called what I said untrue and then went on to mention a quest where you go kill a guy...only in a starfighter, which, while cool, is still "go here and kill x."

The questing is pretty mindless, let's just call it what it is. No need for blind loyalty.

What? You're arguing about the actual lore of the quest not quest mechanics when you're saying what you're saying. That makes no sense. If you are talking RPwise there are shitloads of different quests, but mechanically there ARE some nice variety quests along the way, moreso than I expected at first blush. Lots of random jumpy puzzle stuff, vehicle stuff. One where you ride down zombies in a motorcycle, etc. Those are completely unrelated.

IE: Get grooms for the lopp wedding, and plant bombs on an enemy base. Those are both 'go there and push f' fetch quests, the part where the intent behind them is different is irrelevent. Killing a mob with my normal abilities 30 times is vastly different from getting into a vehicle and having different hotkeys and completely different gameplay. Just because they both involve 'killing' something doesn't make them remotely the same.

How about the one where your shiphand quest involves the ship losing power and flipping at a 45 degree angle on its side, and you have to pilot the repair bot in 0 gravity through the ship to repair it? 0 combat, you run into debris to take damage, things like that.

Again, there aren't a lot of them, but I can name 2-3 standout 'different' style quests per zone, easily. It's a lot more varied than vanilla wow/burning crusade era shit like the first two zones are.

Uthred

Its odd how much of a jump in quality there is post level 15/the main city. Even stuff like the way areas and quests are organised seems better. Still no story to speak off but its easier to get sucked in (actually too easy, levelling so slowly because I keep getting distracted by other stuff ;) ). Its unfortunate that the starting areas are such a slog and that the game is pretty poor in introducing stuff from a new player perspective.

Silly question, what does upgrading the quality of your gathering tool actually do?

What? You're arguing about the actual lore of the quest not quest mechanics when you're saying what you're saying. That makes no sense.

Not sure how it makes no sense. The quests are mindless. There's no intrigue, there's no mystery, there's no complexity, it's boring. It doesn't matter how you "go here and kill x." After the hundredth quest it matters "Why?" For instance, SWTOR disguised the leveling experience behind class and planet stories. There's not even an attempt to disguise the grind in Wildstar, the announcer literally tells you at the start of every zone "Unleash Carnage!" and that's what you do. There's no variation, no really compelling reason to do what you are doing. It's "THERE ARE GUYS THEY ARE BAD I DEMAND YOU END THEM" and "oh I need these flowers as well."

Boring.

That's all I'm stating here. I'm level 36, I just left the zone you are talking about, it's called Whitevale. The Lopp quest has you following the quest marker to click on bunnies. The run over zombies quest has you hop on a bike and move forward over zombies, you have a ch and occasionally grab a heart buff. Riveting stuff sir, absolutely captivating. Except it isn't. It's mindless.

A lot of MMO's have a mindless grind. We, as a collective MMO playing community, are largely used to it, but that doesn't change what it is, or excuse it for being that way.

kyoakuma

Banned
Adding myself to the bottom

DonnyHayabusa
SolVanderlyn
Murder, She Wrote
petethepanda
Orochinagis
Anilusion (eu)
Sillverrr (EU)
Bakerbakes
Kyoakuma

TheYanger

Not sure how it makes no sense. The quests are mindless. There's no intrigue, there's no mystery, there's no complexity, it's boring. It doesn't matter how you "go here and kill x." After the hundredth quest it matters "Why?" For instance, SWTOR disguised the leveling experience behind class and planet stories. There's not even an attempt to disguise the grind in Wildstar, the announcer literally tells you at the start of every zone "Unleash Carnage!" and that's what you do. There's no variation, no really compelling reason to do what you are doing. It's "THERE ARE GUYS THEY ARE BAD I DEMAND YOU END THEM" and "oh I need these flowers as well."

Boring.

That's all I'm stating here. I'm level 36, I just left the zone you are talking about, it's called Whitevale. The Lopp quest has you following the quest marker to click on bunnies. The run over zombies quest has you hop on a bike and move forward over zombies, you have a ch and occasionally grab a heart buff. Riveting stuff sir, absolutely captivating. Except it isn't. It's mindless.

A lot of MMO's have a mindless grind. We, as a collective MMO playing community, are largely used to it, but that doesn't change what it is, or excuse it for being that way.

So you're complaining about the lore of the quests rather than the actual quest design, they're two different things is what I was saying. Which isn't waht the person who was being quoted was saying.

In terms of variety? It's there. It's got a LOT of menial tasks, but they're labelled tasks and you can skip em. The other shit? Has a lot of variety.

You want motivation? READ THE SHIT. It's there, it's up to you to read it. I'm 50, I never read quests. I thought SWTOR levelling was an ok experience but ONLY the main story, the rest was shit. This game? I actually skip most of the text in this too, but certain storylines grab me and I read them. The world story? SUPER interesting. Been working on catching up with that since it was bugged. There are plenty of reasons for everything you do, as much as SWTOR at the very least. If you don't care for it that's fine - I didn't get into any of the stories in the first handful of zones, but the world story starts about where you're at, and the zone stories got a lot more interesting I think.

Also, the lopp questline was brought up as EXACTLY a 'bring x' fetch quest, not sure why you thought I was defending it. If you don't see a huge gameplay difference between running shit over on a motorcycle and walking up to it and combat'ing it to death, I don't know what to say. Might as well say that Street Fighter and Twisted Metal are the same game ebcause they both involve fighting people.

Really enjoying this so far; spellslinger might be too button smashing for basic attcaks but overall the game is a pleasant experience, quests direction and the ability to complete them without backtracking are a godsend.

Simple color convention :)

I meant I was curious why they would be red :p All you need is light armor, it's definitely there.

Yeah its still kill x, collect y, but the challenges and environments are a lot more interesting than the last few mmos I've played. Shipwright missions are nice too.

Surprised how much is in this game that WoW still hasn't implemented, like housing.

Hold to cast is a nice option, made playing warrior a more positive experience instead of mashing auto attack.

Just did a fun quest on farside that summons people all over the zone (both factions) to fight a public event mob. After about 2 minutes of killing each other we summoned the boss and beat him.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Alright, questions for those who are playing:

I played Medic all throughout beta, got to 20 or so, and absolutely loved it. Tried out Esper to around 10, didn't like it nearly as much. I really don't feel like leveling another Medic, so I was thinking of Spellslinger. My questions are:

-Is Spellsplinger a "spammy" class, or is it pretty hands-on? Medic was crazy with how important positioning was, and you had to actually pay attention to what was going on.

-How is the Spellslinger healing tree? Is it fun? Is it viable?

-For those who have played Medic and another class, what class would you say is most comparable to Medic?

Garibaldi

Added the EU GAF guild to the OT. EU gaffers looking for a home, check it out!

Oh we have an EU guild now? Result. I'm on dominion on Zhur (only lvl 15), but thinking I'll switch over to play with my GAF.

Do we just in game msg the leaders?

Also, when I'm on. I've got two EU guest passes left if anyone wants them. Just pop me a PM. I'll edit this post when they're gone.

EDIT: All claimed

Vortex566

Adding myself to the bottom

DonnyHayabusa
SolVanderlyn
Murder, She Wrote
petethepanda
Orochinagis
Anilusion (eu)
Sillverrr (EU)
Bakerbakes
Kyoakuma
Vortex566 (EU)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Oh we have an EU guild now? Result. I'm on dominion on Zhur (only lvl 15), but thinking I'll switch over to play with my GAF.

Do we just in game msg the leaders?

Also, when I'm on. I've got two EU guest passes left if anyone wants them. Just pop me a PM. I'll edit this post when they're gone.
Yeah look at the google doc linked in the OP, most of the people there have invite rights.

Sorry for the noob question, but I'm still sort of new. I keep getting some sort of ground ping at my character's location, and I have no idea what it's supposed to mean, or if I'm causing it. It's a circular set of concentric rings on the ground, with an arrow pointing down toward the center. It's accompanied by a sound as well.

Teggy

Sorry for the noob question, but I'm still sort of new. I keep getting some sort of ground ping at my character's location, and I have no idea what it's supposed to mean, or if I'm causing it. It's a circular set of concentric rings on the ground, with an arrow pointing down toward the center. It's accompanied by a sound as well.

Usually that's what happens if you ping a quest for a direction and you're already in the right place.

Bombless

Architect must be such a lucrative profession at the moment.

I took the skill but haven't experimented with tradeskilling in general yet. Will do once I hit 20 (just to give me a bit more of financial power, getting mats is annoying as hell since you need stuff from other gathering professions than Survivalist).

I took the skill but haven't experimented with tradeskilling in general yet. Will do once I hit 20 (just to give me a bit more of financial power, getting mats is annoying as hell since you need stuff from other gathering professions than Survivalist).

I forgot about the fact that it needs mats from all the different professions. I assume it has a lot of potential for raking in the platinum though. Already bought a tier 2 mineral deposit, and considering buying a tier 3 as well.

Hixx

Getting killed by a fucking relic node is a sign it's time to sign off for the day.

Fucking bots just kept coming, hit hundreds of nodes and never seen anything like that.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I spent all my money on decor. I have a problem. :(

I got my mount 7 levels late because of that.

Boring.

I enjoy the combat and exploring the zones. The quests themselves are pretty mindless, I agree with that. I can see myself getting bored if I just chained quests together forever. I like PVP, crafting, housing and possibly dungeons (haven't done one yet) to break up the questing a bit.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm so on the edge with buying this game. I played a bit during the closed beta and had fun, but I don't know if I really want to invest into an mmo right now. I think the fact that I haven't really gotten any games lately is making me want it more, but is that a decent enough reason?

Man, I wish I wasn't so neurotic about this kind of stuff and would be okay with even just playing it for a month.
I have a similar problem. Put your name on the list and hope for a guest pass, then make your decision later. It's what I'm doing.

rinker

DonnyHayabusa
SolVanderlyn
Murder, She Wrote
petethepanda
Orochinagis
Anilusion (eu)
Sillverrr (EU)
Bakerbakes
Kyoakuma
Vortex566 (EU)
rinker

Alur

Alright, questions for those who are playing:

I played Medic all throughout beta, got to 20 or so, and absolutely loved it. Tried out Esper to around 10, didn't like it nearly as much. I really don't feel like leveling another Medic, so I was thinking of Spellslinger. My questions are:

-Is Spellsplinger a "spammy" class, or is it pretty hands-on? Medic was crazy with how important positioning was, and you had to actually pay attention to what was going on.

-How is the Spellslinger healing tree? Is it fun? Is it viable?

-For those who have played Medic and another class, what class would you say is most comparable to Medic?

1) I don't know if you'd call it spammy though you will be using your auto attack pretty frequently in DPS. You have a rotation, more or less, whether healing or DPSing due to the fact that most abilities have a cooldown of about 6-8 seconds. Bare in mind I'm speaking from PVPing in the 6-14 and 15-29 bracket here, so I don't know about endgame.

2) Spellslinger healing is pretty fun, IMO. That's what I do. I have an Exile spellslinger on one server and a Dominion one on another server and I heal on both. There's a variety of ways to play and you can even hybrid it up if you want PVP wise. I haven't attempted to heal a dungeon, however. It seems pretty viable. Once I got Healing Salve and Void Slip I could hold my own on the charts with any of the other healers and top them depending on how the objectives play out.

3) I only played Medic back in closed beta around December and at the time it was terrible IMO. Obviously it's not now, but that's all I've got to go on. FWIW, Medics are typically topping the heal charts in BGs if I don't and I've seen several DPS ones as well.

Let's be honest, only deep lore junkies will appreciate the entirety that is sheer ammount of work put into such a long and broad leveling set-up as they have here. Most of the rest of us will notice every once in a while and go "that was cool" then continue grinding away. Then you have the REAL grind-hogs who wanna be 50 Tuesday and what's the best XP-per-level path and...

Then there's me who sets up TRIPLE KILLS on the regular and tangles with too many elites for my health...

Hey guys, has anyone here gotten constant BSOD's from WS? I keep getting them but can't figure out how to fix it,.

I'm constantly getting kicked after 20 minutes of play or so (but then again I'm on the edge for RAM recommendation so...)

Arken2121

I'm constantly getting kicked after 20 minutes of play or so (but then again I'm on the edge for RAM recommendation so...)

I get up to about 8gb used but I have 16 so it's really weird. Takes about 2 hours before bsod.

Top Bottom