• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WildStar |OT| The biggest MMO since the Big Bang

Alrus

Nerf is okay, the thing is ridicolous.. but fix the goddamn bug before going through with the nerf, dammit.

Yeah nerf was fine and I have no issue with it (considering our DPS is still great), apparently the original bug (Cooldown going into negative resets said cooldown) for BS/BC was fixed but there's another one that causes the same issue and they still haven't fixed that (but they're working on it...).

No Esper changes :(

I hope they announce something soon.

I imagine we'll see more in-depth class changes when the first major patch hits.

I found TSW's questing to be great, but i really didn't enjoy the combat. It didn't have weight to it, and just felt clunky to me.

DarkKyo

Game is quite beautiful.

ikH3zOj6ZAikp.png
Indeed.

cad-20140611-c152a.png

That's pretty much what my house looks like.

That's the first decent comic he's put out in...years?

Yea I've should've done that, but I didn't. I just grinded away like I did with Tera. SWTOR kind of spoiled me. The story quests were very good, things like the imperial agent, assassin, and even the guardian were all good stuff. Not exactly KOTOR as they claimed, but still enough to keep you engaged. A pity the rest of the game wasn't up to par. That isn't here. Despite what some zealots want you to believe. Fortunately it seems like the game excels in other areas.

That's the problem, I gave the game the benefit of the doubt. I read EVERYTHING, from datacrons to little journals. I read it all. I am a lore junkie. I'm also level 50. About 3% of the questing is "fun side stuff", the other 97% is go here and kill this or go here and click/collect this. That isn't hyperbole, if I'm off in that percentage it is not by much. That isn't good questing. I have few problems with the game, but to defend the questing is just blindly defending the game despite it's faults. There's a lot the game does right, the questing is not one of those. Once you get into the 40's and every kill is 3% of 100%, or in the most egregious cases a pack of three mobs is 7% of 100% the grind really starts to bring you down.

That's just it, to a lore junkie like yourself, this is too little, to others any reading beyond "kill 10 x" is too much. I want quest markers and arrows removed and the dialogue rewritten to describe or allude to targets and goals not spoonfeed to the detriment of the rest of the game. But the thing is, how much are we going to get? How much will that cost? Who else will like it?

accx

So I got a guest pass from a friend. I was wondering what you guys think about Engineer at the moment? I know all the classes are subject to changes, especially now in the beginning.

I played CBT a lot and Engineer was going to be my main, but it ended up sucking a lot in CBT (bots not working, shit damage and so on..).
I ended up playing Medic and loved it, but iirc they were op in CBT.

I was thinking of going DPS Engineer, but if they're on the low end of the damage spectrum as of now, i might just jump on an esper or medic once the guest pass is over and i buy the game.

How do DPS Engineer fare in pvp? Medics were insane.
How about combat speed? Do engineers still feel slow? Are the bots fixed?
What's the status on pve? If anyone can chime in on how classes feel in raiding that would be lovely but i'm aware that the game just came out.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So I applied to the Exile guild on Orias, but since I was guest pass'd at the time it didn't go through. Could I possibly be re-invited? Character name is Tyreas.

Alrus

I was thinking of going DPS Engineer, but if they're on the low end of the damage spectrum as of now, i might just jump on an esper or medic once the guest pass is over and i buy the game.

How do DPS Engineer fare in pvp? Medics were insane.
How about combat speed? Do engineers still feel slow? Are the bots fixed?
What's the status on pve? If anyone can chime in on how classes feel in raiding that would be lovely but i'm aware that the game just came out.

Engineer are really good DPS. Bots are fine imo, but that depends on the problem you have with them. They just got one of their most popular build nerfed because it was ridiculously efficient for single target dmg, especially big bosses.

As for PvP I don't really know, haven't messed around with that yet.

I'm having terrible luck with veteran adventures today. First group one of the DPS ate a telegraph and got one shotted, so everyone left. Second group we had a bug that wouldn't allow us to proceed so we disbanded, third group i joined was one already in progress and everyone randomly left before we even got to combat.

Somnia

I feel like I've fallen so far behind. I'm normally one of those "Rush" to max players and stuff, but RL has been super busy so I'm only 41. Most of my buddies are all 50 including those who I am arena teaming with... sigh

aka_bueno

I feel like I've fallen so far behind. I'm normally one of those "Rush" to max players and stuff, but RL has been super busy so I'm only 41. Most of my buddies are all 50 including those who I am arena teaming with... sigh

I tried, I really did. But I just couldn't. So far I was only able to do like maybe 2 days of hardcore playing, but other days like yesterday I barely played for an hour. Right when I was catching up to my hardcore buddies too, they reached 50. I left off on 47.

Between the soul crushingly leveling (it's become a chore now) and real life stuff, I just couldn't hang lol. I will try to get there this weekend though, the big 5-0!

arimanius

So how are the gaf guilds? Pretty active still? Thinking of starting over on a gaf server because being solo and trying to pug adventures is quickly killing this game for me.

docbon

Huh? Interesting.

The guy by the crafting board still offers the quest, but you can't accept it.

If it's not a bug, they're fucking insane for making the rate so low. People are already getting purples from adventures. I'm worried the entire expert research tree will just become irrelevant.

Teggy

Between last night and today I think I spent about 3+ hours working on the Eldan terraformer jumping puzzle, and I don't think I got a single XP the entire time. Different strokes...

Hixx

After getting mostly rubbish from my Boom Boxes (I got ONE Elder Gem yesterday woohoo) I got the Luminous Equivar Mount today. Noticeably quicker than my hoverboard
3AQmK.gif

Teggy

After getting mostly rubbish from my Boom Boxes (I got ONE Elder Gem yesterday woohoo) I got the Luminous Equivar Mount today. Noticeably quicker than my hoverboard
3AQmK.gif

Nice! I've still got 50+ chances
to get a renown boost potion

Somnia

Said fuck it and rolled an Dominion Esper on Widow. What's the best way to get into the gaf guild if there's room?

Guild on Widow is not a GAF guild, but it has 6-8 gaf members in it. Follow the link on the OT and feel free to apply. The app/interview is very quick and nothing crazy and as long as you're active and dont cause any drama youll pass your two week trial with ease (you get invited to the guild right away during trial).

arimanius

Guild on Widow is not a GAF guild, but it has 6-8 gaf members in it. Follow the link on the OT and feel free to apply. The app/interview is very quick and nothing crazy and as long as you're active and dont cause any drama youll pass your two week trial with ease (you get invited to the guild right away during trial).

Awesome thanks.

Snicky

Hi all, just wanted to pop in and say I am loving the game. I would really appreciate an invite to the Dominion guild on Widow, name is LustBoiTerry, just hit level 16 and did my first adventure. I was blown away by how engaging it was, what a joy to play. Look forward to playing with the crew!

Somnia

Hi all, just wanted to pop in and say I am loving the game. I would really appreciate an invite to the Dominion guild on Widow, name is LustBoiTerry, just hit level 16 and did my first adventure. I was blown away by how engaging it was, what a joy to play. Look forward to playing with the crew!

Guild on Widow is not a GAF guild, but it has 8+ (probably over 10 at this point lost count) gaf members in it. Follow the link on the OT and feel free to apply. The app/interview is very quick and nothing crazy and as long as you're active and dont cause any drama youll pass your two week trial with ease (you get invited to the guild right away during trial).

HowZatOZ

Banned
They nerfed Engineer Bolt Caster/Bioshell combos, I guess it was going to happen anyway. But I'm a bit pissed they still haven't commented on fixing the bug where Bolt Caster will reset your BS cooldown if it goes into the negative.

Ok thanks, I'll try to pm someone when I'm on. (not too often these days because exams)
Noooooooooooooo

link4117

Man, this game. I gotta say, I love the explorer path and I love the combat, but there's just too much going on visually for me. I can only play for about 30 minutes before I feel overwhelmed and log out. I'm only the second zone because of this.

As an example, I took a quest to kill some guys in an area. Ok, I start doing that then a challenge pops up to kill more of those guys, awesome. Then some NPC starts talking to me taking up the top portion of my screen and I can't close it. I don't know what he was saying, because I was busy trying to complete the challenge. At the same time the communicator button that shows when you've completed a quest and can phone in the completion pops up, and I have no idea which quest I've just completed. Then I get a communicator thing popping up from Dead Eye, probably about a new quest. At the same time I see there's interactive objects for some quest. I finally finish fighting the mobs and I take a step and suddenly I get a message saying new quests for exploration are available. This all happens within 2 minutes.

I constantly feel like I'm missing information because it pops up while I'm doing other stuff. It's just a barrage on you, and while probably intentional, I just can't handle it. It's too bad because, like I said, I really do enjoy the combat and premise of the game.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Man, this game. I gotta say, I love the explorer path and I love the combat, but there's just too much going on visually for me. I can only play for about 30 minutes before I feel overwhelmed and log out. I'm only the second zone because of this.

As an example, I took a quest to kill some guys in an area. Ok, I start doing that then a challenge pops up to kill more of those guys, awesome. Then some NPC starts talking to me taking up the top portion of my screen and I can't close it. I don't know what he was saying, because I was busy trying to complete the challenge. At the same time the communicator button that shows when you've completed a quest and can phone in the completion pops up, and I have no idea which quest I've just completed. Then I get a communicator thing popping up from Dead Eye, probably about a new quest. At the same time I see there's interactive objects for some quest. I finally finish fighting the mobs and I take a step and suddenly I get a message saying new quests for exploration are available. This all happens within 2 minutes.

I constantly feel like I'm missing information because it pops up while I'm doing other stuff. It's just a barrage on you, and while probably intentional, I just can't handle it. It's too bad because, like I said, I really do enjoy the combat and premise of the game.
I feel the same. Then there's gathering and path nodes everywhere.

I think the quest mod is helping me:
http://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220588-ayth_quest
I only used it for 30 min so far though.

I installed better quest log too.
http://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220027-betterquestlog

Yazus

Bought the game expecting WoW 2.0 (do not get me wrong, I played and loved WoW for 4 years) and my mind was fucking BLOWN.

Can't even describe my feelings.
This game just WORKS.
You can def feel the Blizzard influence in this game (Carbine studios was founded by ex Blizz members) but it basically does everything better.
I just miss the lore, and I feel a little bit confused at times but man, everything else is just... awesome.
Definitely the game of 2014 for me. Didn't expect it at ALL.

I'm just sad that this game is probably gonna bomb if things keep going this way, no advertising, nothing at all. WoD and tESO are coming this year too. Seriously, more people need to try this out. Free trial and more advertising for god's sake!

Well shit, server must be down.

Yeah, to be honest, I've spent a lot of the game just running around because I'm lost as to what I need to do. There are so many things going on that I feel overwhelmed a lot of the time. If it were more streamlined, this game would be so much better.

Eteric Rice

Bought the game expecting WoW 2.0 (do not get me wrong, I played and loved WoW for 4 years) and my mind was fucking BLOWN.

Can't even describe my feelings.
This game just WORKS.
You can def feel the Blizzard influence in this game (Carbine studios was founded by ex Blizz members) but it basically does everything better.
I just miss the lore, and I feel a little bit confused at times but man, everything else is just... awesome.
Definitely the game of 2014 for me. Didn't expect it at ALL.

I'm just sad that this game is probably gonna bomb if things keep going this way, no advertising, nothing at all. WoD and tESO are coming this year too. Seriously, more people need to try this out. Free trial and more advertising for god's sake!

I honestly don't think it's going to bomb. If other MMOs that aren't as good can carve out their place in the genre, this one definitely should be able to as well. Not to mention it actually has end game content, where others usually don't on release.

Staab

Game flew completely under my radar as I expected it to be F2P, pleasantly surprised it's actually a subscription based game !

I missed my chance of trying it out during open beta, would anyone be able to offer a guest pass (Europe if it matters) so I could test the waters and see if it fits my tastes ?

Cheers

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Yeah nerf was fine and I have no issue with it (considering our DPS is still great), apparently the original bug (Cooldown going into negative resets said cooldown) for BS/BC was fixed but there's another one that causes the same issue and they still haven't fixed that (but they're working on it...).

Also, i don't know if it's just me, but Quick Burst isn't triggering.
On a crit it lights up and everything, but i can't cast it.

Rafterman

Banned

Yeah, if you try and do all the quest, challenges, path stuff it gets too be a big pain in the ass. You are better just doing the story quests and if you happen to finish any tasks along your way, awesome, if not don't bother. The amount of exp you get for tasks is stupid low and most of them aren't fun either, so there is really no reason to do them anyway.

You basically have to de-program the whole "hit a quest hub, do every quest until it sends you to the next hub" mentality because that's the best way to get sick of Wildstar in a hurry. I've heard that in the higher levels it is more focused and less chaotic, but the early levels just have too much shit going on in too many different directions to do it all and have a good time.

Ferny

If anyone is interested in getting WS.

Green Man Gaming has a 25% off code for Wildstar right now, this applies to both the Standard and Deluxe Edition.

N5S34N-JR59P9-EZZHQH

"The 25% voucher expires at 4pm UTC on Sunday 15th June 2014. Voucher only valid against selected Wildstar and Wildstar: Deluxe Edition (PC Download). Multiple vouchers and GMG Credit cannot be used in conjunction. Voucher and title available are susceptible to change."

If anyone is interested in getting WS.

Green Man Gaming has a 25% off code for Wildstar right now, this applies to both the Standard and Deluxe Edition.

N5S34N-JR59P9-EZZHQH

"The 25% voucher expires at 4pm UTC on Sunday 15th June 2014. Voucher only valid against selected Wildstar and Wildstar: Deluxe Edition (PC Download). Multiple vouchers and GMG Credit cannot be used in conjunction. Voucher and title available are susceptible to change."

I wish GMG didn't use such an arcane secret coupon method for discounts, it makes shopping there such a hassle.

I actually linked my Steam account for that playfire coupon, mistaking thinking they'd never do something like this. qq

Anyone know what this item is for? Google has provided me with nothing. They're just taking up space at the moment, not even stacking...

et.png

You're living up to your screen name right now. (Edit There's no image or info, ?!)

Alright now that that's all fixed up, my best guess is that it is a bugged crafting resource.

So, I was playing my Medic today and I realized I wasn't doing as much damage. Gamma Rays is only hitting once, even when someone's standing in all three lines. Was this a nerf, or is it some sort of bug? The tooltip didn't change.

Top Bottom