• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you be buying ASSASSIN’S CREED SHADOWS?

Will you be buying Assassin’s Creed Shadows?

• Yes

Votes: 80 14.4%
  • No

Votes: 407 73.2%
  • Not sure

Votes: 69 12.4%

• Total voters

Kumomeme

But what do you mean by this? What do you think exactly going to happen to entire industry over one game?

Dont you think its little overdramatic?
put aside which side is right or wrong, put aside the diversity, DEI or whatever fancy term we got nowdays, from what i see the main problem with this game is that the devs failed to do proper research.

from 'this is just a fictional videogame' end up overblown from multiple side. for example the source they quoted regarding certain character status is currently caught lying and editing wikipedia by his own. that guy currently already flee from japan and acknowledge he didnt expect this stuff would escalated to this manner. the university already launch investigation and it even gain attention of japan's diet member. there is even a japanese journalist claim that depend how it goes, it could end up diplomatic issue. all over a video game.

then in the game, some of japanese users on social media pointed that the devs mistakenly japanese and chinese word & architecture and some of the stuff like historical drawing that used in the game is not on proper period of era. this is some of example. its like the devs just slap whatever they feel fit there. there is more if i remember correctly. everything is a mess and lack of clarity. on promotional side, at french they caught for using One Piece's Zoro sword replica as this game gift and even caught for buying it cheap on amazon. there is also issue that they just physically stole stuff from their cultural heritage site.

certain country culture is popular and could easily generate money but amidst chasing profit, when do a game with a setting that represent certain group of people, especially historical, depend on the output it could end up as a sensitive issue. or not. respect and passion toward the source value first is important

all of this could be avoided, if the devs didnt screw up in doing proper research and give a clear messaging from very beginning. there is still debate between historical and fiction at this point. even a media based on fictional source could end up controversional. imagine a historical source.

if the game fail hard, it would set up a strong reminder to everyone in the industry so they wont repeat same mistake since this is one of biggest company in industry. on other hand, the people behind wont think much about it if it sold very well and the rest of others gonna continue same practice. this is what i mean and yes, it sound harsh so thats why im said, 'sorry'. sorry for need to said that. IMO.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Played through AC1 - 4 few years ago.
AC games are like fast food for me. I know it's not good food but from time to time I still enjoy it.

I still plan to go through the series. Next on my list if Unity.
So eventually I'll probably play Shadows (but that might be in several years)

Kumomeme

lol what? smh

Look man, I'm not sure why you think that was edited to look like something else, but saying "but" doesn't change that you are making it seem as if you are sorry for them, yet want a game to fail.

That doesn't negate what you are saying, it means you are not sorry at all...

So...you are the one acting as if you are sorry for those developers and need the game to fail. You are saying these things man. I see no point in acting as if someone is suggesting or making you look like this or that

Even if we just take your whole ass post,

I'd say the same thing.

You are not sorry man, you need the game to um "fail hard" for some reason. I don't even get how 1 game is causing this weird reaction to this btw.

I'd say the same thing.

who are you to put words in my mouth?

i didnt mean that but keep accuse me over that if it fit your narrative. then it mean you are just same as those who you complaint as.

anthony2690

i rather play GoT for a third time
81kN6RTD2RL.jpg

Oh wow, I finally found a fan of this game, I thought it came and went and no one talks about it!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It takes 10x that to make a profit now they claim so that's horrible numbers. Internet babies are winning the culture wars.

You think they need to sell 100 million units of Assassins Creed Shadows to make a profit.
So you are assuming Assassins Creed Shadows cost like what 5 Billion dollars to make?

Are you on drugs?
zEfiZbo.gif

10 million units would bring them in near half a billion dollars.
There is no universe where that isnt a success.

I dont know if this game is going to do Valhalla numbers being that its currentgen only.......but 10 million should be easily doable.

over-20-million-vikings-have-embarked-on-their-epic-journey-v0-kr96vyfjgdw91.jpg

AVvXsEiRT60S4DOQBisrXsp0oz639rKIg_pfFiplOMaGcnYV5618GOTGkLsJi4kc8OBkOZa9E3Zxma5U4DQN0PEK3u-crjTJNiNZCcCVFvTVZ0cajPbu9aLJ_3wkfkDgcyU2YQOBROG6aNt4JbvXznSHxuzTt01JbxqTtYZKE__Wr8SXR3NEeNRDctkcW26y=w640-h360

Osaka_Boss

lol didn't folks say this about Far Cry 5?

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/05/16/far-cry-5-sales-ubisoft-best-selling-game/

morgan-freeman-good-luck.gif

Osaka_Boss Osaka_Boss lolz, yea i'ma buy full price, day 1

I'm not doing no subscription shit lol
You do you, I directed my message to people with brains :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I dont Care If this is a success, because AC is basically FIFA/NFL/COD side dish Just like Mortal Kombat. Normies will buy it and It will sell bonkers like anything the push in mainstream.

Im Just relaying the sentiment here to people that know the gaming industry and do care. It should start somewhere. EA hate drive didnt start from nothing and they are still bleeding even before losing FIFA. Battlefront 2 was a Very important Mark

If you gonna buy it full price, you do you. These slobs cant do their shit without it

Last edited:

Hudo

Nah. But mostly because I fell off AC after how they fucked up the modern-day storyline with AC3. I also don't like the directy they're taking the series in. I did come back to play AC Unity, which I liked very much. But that's about it.

Ghost of Tsushima was my medieval Japan fix.

Gp1

Maybe with some heavy discount on Steam.

(+ some cheap regional pricing)

Last edited:
I think I’m done with the gameplay loop - I couldn’t bring myself to finish the Valhalla DLC and didn’t even buy Mirage.

I really enjoyed Valhalla for a time, but those mythical bits really finished me off. So much time invested.

You see it with Outlaws too:

1. Go to Map marker - npc says ‘Go and get the fucking thing’
2. Platforming on wires
3. Get the thing - Bandits!
4. Kill all bandits
5. Drop the thing off - xp.
6. Next map marker….

Last edited:

Roufianos

I'm mildly interested in the setting but I always expect the worst from Ubisoft. I'll see how it reviews and specifically if it's as boring and bloated as Valhalla.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No, because I'm not a massive fan of the series. Couldn't really get on with Valhalla and won't be making another mistake of wasting my money on a game I'll likely not enjoy.

That's the only reason I won't be buying it.

Fess

When Ghost of Tsushima came I wished it was more like Assassin’s Creed with the free climb. Now that Assassin’s Creed is in Japan I wish it was more like Ghost of Tsushima with the more accurate samurai themes.

Playing only as the ninja would make me interested but as far as I know you’re playing as both.

Might still get it when it’s cheaper on Steam or earlier if I can get it cheap through a subscription. No full price purchase.

Last edited:
Even if the game appealed to me (it doesn’t, on account of me not having liked an AC game since Black Flag) I wouldn’t buy it considering the price dumping I associate with games from Ubisoft.

Last edited:
I don't trust Ubisoft at all - they're just another studio that had a scandal, which lead to an internal revolution and DEI taking over. Those are the devs that end up getting fucked the worst, because they just have to roll over for all the woke/DEI insanity. Now they have to post apologies for hiring insane woke consultants that don't care about Japanese history, and for making a feudal Japan game that stars a fake black samurai and a fake female shinobi. Or loot at that Star Wars game - that lame female main character has killed most of the excitement for the game.

StueyDuck

I mean why would I buy it, rinse repeat brainless AAA mediocrity. The game like most modern games lacks soul or passion. It just feels like the machine pumping out more corporate-mandated sludge for the masses to gobble up.

is there a world where an AC game set in Japan would have been ridiculously cool? yes. but we aren't living in that timeline, instead, it's just more of the same but with some hip-hop beats added for flavour.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

I'm playing Origins.
My first Ass game since Brotherhood.
Really enjoying it so far, so my renewed interest has er... Renewed my interest!
So probably...?

Bernardougf

Dont care anymore about AC until they release the remake of black flag .. than maybe.

And the protagonist choices are just ridiculous DEI driven diarrhea... call me whatever "ist" you feel like, I dont care. Too many boss women protagonists this days and when they throw a bone is the one black dude from some obscure part of the awsome history of Japan. Fuck this.

Trilobit

Some trolls are claiming that people are against it because it's a black man, but it's a poor explanation considering the amount of Hollywood movies with black male moviestars that are widely popular. Many also express a desire to see an AC game take place in an African Empire with African leads for the amazing knowledge it could spread and the incredible settings. I am one of those.

Now instead think about the East Asian male problem in the Western world and the reason why Ubi decided to ditch a Japanese man as a main character makes much more sense.

From Hollywood Insider:
For far too long, Asian American men have been seen in emasculating, lesser roles in Hollywood. Always the nerd, the geek, or the unattractive; never the jock, the heroic, or the romantic interest.

Screenshot-2024-06-10-8.04.31-AM-1024x575.jpg

(This photo in my view summarizes, or samuraises, the perception of small/weak Asian people in media)

Ghost of Tsushima was a breath of fresh air in that we saw a powerful Asian man as a lead in a Western production and it got praise from all around. No one is saying that an Assassin's Creed game shouldn't have a black main character, I mean people love Denzel Washington, Samuel L. Jackson, Idris Elba and many more. People are mainly pointing out this racism that still exists and is allowed to exist towards Eastern Asians.

Hopefully there can be a greater discourse around the anti-Asian racism that is still so pervasive in Western media.

Last edited:

Puskas

It's a no from me, as usual. AssCreed games always looked boring as fuck with the excpection of Black Flag. Never understood the hype.
Though, I couldn't even make it past an hour of AC:BF before uninstalling it from my X360.

It was however fun reading about the backlash to AC: Shadows - the most enjoyment I've ever gotten from this series.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
When Ghost of Tsushima came I wished it was more like Assassin’s Creed with the free climb. Now that Assassin’s Creed is in Japan I wish it was more like Ghost of Tsushima with the more accurate samurai themes.

Playing only as the ninja would make me interested but as far as I know you’re playing as both.

Might still get it when it’s cheaper on Steam or earlier if I can get it cheap through a subscription. No full price purchase.
More accurate? any decent samurai or general would laugh his ass off everytime uncle moron open his mouth about honor being more important than winning a war.

Tsushima is more accurate only if you believe that movie samurai are a real thing and they are not heavily romanticized for spectacle.

Unless you meant using an asian protagonist without stupid dubstep music during combat, in that case yeah tsushi is more accurate.

Being a Game pass subscriber I don't buy many games anymore but I recently got the Cyberpunk DLC (Which is amazing), but I was considering getting this or Outlaws but it will depend on the reviews. I'm not bothered with the main protagonists and authenticity but more on the gameplay and how it's improved over the dire Valhalla.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This poll should include an option to Sub to Ubisoft+ to play the game. Why the fuck would I buy a game for 70 bucks I would never want to play again when I can rent it and others for 20 bucks a month?

GymWolf

Gold Member
This poll should include an option to Sub to Ubisoft+ to play the game. Why the fuck would I buy a game for 70 bucks I would never want to play again when I can rent it and others for 20 bucks a month?
20 bucks? Did they increased the price lately?

Or that is like the highest tier of sub?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
More accurate? any decent samurai or general would laugh his ass off everytime uncle moron open his mouth about honor being more important than winning a war.
Sooooooo True. His actions wouldn’t even be called honourable, he just fucking idiot commander who not only costing a war but also getting his men unnecessary killed.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
absolutely nothing to do with the protagonist, i just find after the first 20hrs or so you've pretty much seen and played the whole game

GymWolf

Gold Member
Sooooooo True. His actions wouldn’t even be called honourable, he just fucking idiot commander who not costing a war but also getting his men unnecessary killed.
My eyes skipped the eye-rolling phase and straight up started dancing the macarena every time the dude was talking about fucking honor :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Danjin44

My eyes skipped the eye-rolling phase and straight up started dancing the macarena every time the dude was talking about fucking honor :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Khan is even bigger idiot, he considers Jin his biggest threat and he captures him but instead of out right kill his biggest threat, he tries to convince him to join and then leaves him to be recused…..why?

both Khan and uncle most idiotic leaders I ever seen in a video game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Khan is even bigger idiot, he considers Jin his biggest threat and he captures him but instead of out right kill his biggest threat, tries to convince him join and then leaves him be to recused…..why?
The villain in that game is good for the first 2 hours, then it turn into a fucking idiot and a downright scared bitch at the end.
He even use the super abused "we are not that different you and me" during that scene if my memory doesn't trick me.

Ac games have such shitty stories and characters (usually) that they warped people mind into thinking that sushima story and characters are something spectacular or some shit...

Last edited:

Danjin44

The villain in that game is good for the first 2 hours, then it turn into a fucking idiot and a downright scared bitch at the end.
He even use the super abused "we are not that different you and me" during that scene if my memory doesn't trick me.

Ac games have such shitty stories and characters (usually) that they warped people mind into thinking that sushima story and characters are something spectacular or some shit...
Some games try to make main character look smart and capable by making every other characters dumb as fuck Horizon also fucking dose this to make Aloy look smart.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Some games try to make main character look smart and capable by making every other characters dumb as fuck Horizon also fucking dose this to make Aloy look smart.
Well tbf aloy trained with a focus that teach all kind of stuff since childhood and 99% of the other people are literal tribe people, at least it has a strong lore reason for that.

Also, she has the gene of a genius so she is probably smarter than your average caveman joe.

Jin doesn't really have any advantage compared to the khan so they should be equally smart (khan should be way smarter actually, dude is a conqueror opposed to a dude who thought that dying for honor was smart).

Last edited:
Top Bottom