• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wimbledon 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuuKyK

i don't think he's played enough big matches to be labeled a major choker yet.

I remember watching a match between him and Belucci (I think). I dont even know where it was, but he was just all over the place, getting annoyed at every single error and missing every lead he had. And then he came up with an excuse that the crowd made him lose or something like that. It was pretty embarassing.

szaromir

Banned
I agree, but at the moment I don't think Nadal has the mental fortitude he once possessed.
He won a match 9-7 in the final set against certain monsieur Djokovic several weeks ago. It doesn't seem like folding under pressure to me. Of course when he's outplayed on a fast surface there's little he can do about it with his game.

Bo-Locks

A couple of stupid stupid questions there.

Murray was not happy.

And rightly so. After winning a five-setter some cunty interviewer is borderline disrespectful to Verdasco and asks retarded, leading questions like in a fucking police interview, solely to whip the viewers up into a frenzy of "Murray-Mania!" No doubt he will be even more disparaging about Janowicz in the next round.

Fergie would have thrown the interviewer out of Carrington and ripped the piss out of him if he acted like that to him. He's supposed to be a BBC interviewer, not a fucking tabloid hack.

The crowd was pretty bad, too. Tennis is supposed to be better than that. Too many plebs are allowed in Wimbledon nowadays.

On the one hand I'm sort of fine with this sort of thing at Wimbledon (cunty interviewers, cunty crowds), but the tournament (and even the sport, at least in the UK, where it's still quite elitist) can't then parade itself around and continue to act as though Wimbledon is any different or "superior" to the other slams, when in reality it really isn't. It's one or the other.

I dunno, it just seems as though Wimbledon has lost something...

True, although I think there's a certain pompousness that's unique to Wimbledon which makes it extra annoying. Might be a bit of Northern bias there though.

This is what I was getting at, too.

Certinty

Nice to see Murray pushing there in the last three sets but a win is a win, thank God he came back.

Title still his to lose I say. Come on Andy!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well, on the positive side, Murray always has one dreadful match every slam, but this time he survived it. Hopefully that was it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
i thought it was pretty adorable :3

guy clearly cares a lot. nice to see.

Hopefully that won him a few more fans. Also, so touching him and Kubot at the end. Jerzy was incredibly respectful.

Even though I said I'd be for Djokovic at the start of the thread, I think I've flip flopped. Djokovic was basically handed the final on a silver platter. Further in, Haas was kind of sad, and Berdych Berdych'ed. Delpo could put up a good fight if he were in top shape, but that doesn't seem like it will be the case (I'd love to be pleasantly surprised). Murray's been more interesting and entertaining to watch, let's reward him imo!

That said, I would have nothing against a Delpo-Janowicz final ;D

Speevy

Banned
The Delpo/Djoko match is going to unfold like it did at the US Open.

Lots of big firepower and rubberband man returns. Novak in 4.

Bigfoot

The Delpo/Djoko match is going to unfold like it did at the US Open.

Lots of big firepower and rubberband man returns. Novak in 4.

Yup. Novak just has to outlast Delpo the first two sets. If he can tire him out, he will win it even if it goes 5. Delpo has to win in 3 or 4 sets at the most. If it goes to a 5th, it is all Djokovic.

Wes

venison crêpe
@andy_murray 15m
Don't be too hard on garry richardson he had a bad day and he apologised afterwards

What a guy.

szaromir

Banned
Can someone explain to me why pretty much all women with onehanded backhand can't drive it (except Suarez Navarro and Henin several years ago)? It results in boring matches when the opponent targets exclusively that wing.

szaromir

Banned
Bartoli has the ugliest game in the whole tour. Double handed forehand is horrible.
Honestly, one handed backhand that can only be sliced isn't much better. This match is a debacle of epic proportions. At least during those Serena-Errani semis you could watch Serena's wonderful ballstriking.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
at this juncture i would typically make some disparaging comments about women's tennis, but i'm afraid the djokovic-del potro semi is not going to much prettier. at least that can be blamed on an injury.

Honestly, one handed backhand that can only be sliced isn't much better. This match is a debacle of epic proportions. At least during those Serena-Errani semis you could watch Serena's wonderful ballstriking.

Indeed. Serena's game is sublime, so much power and she moves around the court so well, Bartoli has nothing like that. Flipkens is just cannon fodder atm. Why oh why couldn't Sloan Stephens beat the crap out of her. D:

Flipkens is getting destroyed. What a let Dow.

well I honestly didnt expect anything else. her first time on CC in a semi final here at wimbledon, she must be super nervous. That knee injury is fake, she just is to nervous for this match, and yes I know she has a bad knee, but she takes a medical time out to calm down, they all do ut. This is why I am so against injury breaks. ATP WTA should not allow injury breaks at all, if you cant play due to injury then please retire.

szaromir

Banned
Indeed. Serena's game is sublime, so much power and she moves around the court so well, Bartoli has nothing like that. Flipkens is just cannon fodder atm. Why oh why couldn't Sloan Stephens beat the crap out of her. D:
Sloane is very reminiscent of Gael Monfils in that she's an incredible athlete but has no defined gameplan. Hence her terrible record against top players. At least Gael goes for ridiculous shots for entertainment value of the crowd.

well I honestly didnt expect anything else. her first time on CC in a semi final here at wimbledon, she must be super nervous. That knee injury is fake, she just is to nervous for this match, and yes I know she has a bad knee, but she takes a medical time out to calm down, they all do ut. This is why I am so against injury breaks. ATP WTA should not allow injury breaks at all, if you cant play due to injury then please retire.
We wouldn't have del Potro-Ferrer match yesterday if you had your way.

Sloane is very reminiscent of Gael Monfils in that she's an incredible athlete but has no defined gameplan. Hence her terrible record against top players. At least Gael goes for ridiculous shots for entertainment value of the crowd.

We wouldn't have del Potro-Ferrer match yesterday if you had your way.

Thats a rare occasion, usually you have players just using these to break the streak for the other player. Medical time outs are IMO abused by players.

I have been covering tennis for 10 years as it is part of my job description and I have seen this medical time out be abused to many times to have respect for it.

szaromir

Banned
Thats a rare occasion, usually you have players just using these to break the streak for the other player. Medical time outs are IMO abused by players.
They are, but they should be there for the rare occasion a player genuinely need medical attention. Now, toilet breaks are a cancer that should be eliminated pronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom