• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Fëanorian

Neo Member
I have a question guys, I upgraded to windows 10 back in August and ran well for months. Now I get hard freezes the moment I get into the desktop and at this point I have decided to just put together a new pc.

I'm not taking anything from the old pc, but what do I do about getting the OS? Do I buy a new license? Can I just download windows 10 and use the key that came with my old computer?

HALP!

Fëanorian;185463257 said:
I have a question guys, I upgraded to windows 10 back in August and ran well for months. Now I get hard freezes the moment I get into the desktop and at this point I have decided to just put together a new pc.

I'm not taking anything from the old pc, but what do I do about getting the OS? Do I buy a new license? Can I just download windows 10 and use the key that came with my old computer?

HALP!

New motherboard amd cpu will require a new license since the old one was activated on your previous hardware.

kharma45

Fëanorian;185463257 said:

HALP!

New motherboard amd cpu will require a new license since the old one was activated on your previous hardware.

That depends. Is it an OEM copy of Windows? If it's not, you can move it between machines. If it's an OEM one, it's much harder. I had to replace a dead mobo and MS were happy enough to move the key onto the new hardware because I wasn't upgrading, just replacing a dead part.

Daffy Duck

Can anyone help me out here before I lose my mind?

I've got Windows 10 on my PC, I've create my GF a user account (admin) and set it up with a MS account (signed her up with her Yahoo email which is also the same one for her XBL account) but we cannot get the store to work, clicking the live tile does nothing, neither does the xbox tile?

Mine works perfectly on my account but on this new account, nothing and it's got me stumped as to what's gone wrong.

I've checked that she's signed into her account in settings and it looks like she is, she doesn't have the store icon pinned to the taskbar either like I do.

So GAF, what gives? I assume it's not something so simple and stupid as only allowing one store app per machine.

Also if I sign out of the store app in my account and sign her in I can browse the store just fine.

Edit; sorted it out by deleting her account and re adding it to family group.

derFeef

Is there a magic hidden setting to make the lock screen on first bootup actually act like it's set up? It shows the wrong language, time format and notification options...

That depends. Is it an OEM copy of Windows? If it's not, you can move it between machines. If it's an OEM one, it's much harder. I had to replace a dead mobo and MS were happy enough to move the key onto the new hardware because I wasn't upgrading, just replacing a dead part.
Mine's an OEM one, but yes you're right, it's much easier to call Microsoft to allow it to transfer to new hardware if it isn't.

Jzero

I keep getting a damn "this app is incompatible and has been removed" (or something like that) with the new update. This isn't even a preview version.

Touchdown

Banned
Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, Chrome has been a mess. Sometimes flash videos don't play, can't check my work email, skype keeps disconnecting me from my wifi network during calls. It's the worst.

Rootbeer

Banned
I keep getting a damn "this app is incompatible and has been removed" (or something like that) with the new update. This isn't even a preview version.

when i upgraded from windows 10 (the first release) to TH2 it remoted two programs. CPU-Z and Speccy -- both of which are fully fine. I think Windows is way too aggressive in removing programs it thinks are 'incompatible'

This is why i'm too paranoid to upgrade my work computer to Windows 10. I don't want it removing some of our important stuff there that I know should work fine in Windows 10

when i upgraded from windows 10 (the first release) to TH2 it remoted two programs. CPU-Z and Speccy -- both of which are fully fine. I think Windows is way too aggressive in removing programs it thinks are 'incompatible'

This is why i'm too paranoid to upgrade my work computer to Windows 10. I don't want it removing some of our important stuff there that I know should work fine in Windows 10
Ideally, they should only notify you that it may be incompatible, not remove the program without any input from the user. Booting into Windows to have it say "We removed such and such" is bullshit.

vazel

Banned
Threshold 2 removed the scp drivers for my DS3 controller. I didn't check wether Windows would let me reinstall the drivers but I assume it would. I don't mind though since I don't need the scp drivers anymore(I use a Wii U Pro Controller with the Mayflash adapter now).

Skux

Had the same thing with the update with CPU-Z being uninstalled on my laptop. I think I'll wait a while before installing the big update on my main PC.

derFeef

So my notifications via action center are turned off but I can't turn it back on (or can't find the setting), the icon in the tray bar has the off symbol on top of it...

Somehow my font changed and I have no idea why or how to set it back to default.

Does anyone know something about this?

Edit: In Microsoft Edge that is.

It looks like this now:

neoz5sa6.jpg

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
So my notifications via action center are turned off but I can't turn it back on (or can't find the setting), the icon in the tray bar has the off symbol on top of it...

You should be able to just right click the action center icon and have the option.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The new "resize juxtaposed windows at the same time" option that comes with the big update is a game changer. Love it.

I can't believe how much faster my laptop boots now after installing the new big update. It's just a few seconds and that is without an SSD or fast boot enabled. Pretty amazing.
This update also fixed a delay after clicking the search icon which was the only bug I still had.

I am now very impressed with this OS.

Could use some help WindowsGAF. I have had 32 bit Windows 10 installed my PC for quite some time and I want to upgrade to the 64 bit version. My PC can run it. I'm looking at doing a fresh install but I don't know where to find my W10 product key or where to get one. Any help?

Could use some help WindowsGAF. I have had 32 bit Windows 10 installed my PC for quite some time and I want to upgrade to the 64 bit version. My PC can run it. I'm looking at doing a fresh install but I don't know where to find my W10 product key or where to get one. Any help?

The key is bound to your hardware. In theory you should be able to upgrade with a clean install and Windows should then activate itself. No key needed, since you've already activated it on that hardware. Personally, I can't confirm it, because I've never done it

The key is bound to your hardware. In theory you should be able to upgrade with a clean install and Windows should then activate itself. No key needed, since you've already activated it on that hardware. Personally, I can't confirm it, because I've never done it

I upgraded to W10 32-bit from 32-bit W7. Can anyone confirm this or give any more guidance? Thanks.

EDIT: I also just found my W7 product key. Not sure if that will help.

I upgraded to W10 32-bit from 32-bit W7. Can anyone confirm this or give any more guidance? Thanks.

EDIT: I also just found my W7 product key. Not sure if that will help.

Again, I can't confirm it, because I have yet to reinstall Windows 10 on my machine, but since the November Update (Threshold 2), you're able to activate Windows with your Windows 7 or 8 key.

Activation changes. As previously reported, Windows 10 Fall Update will support activating with your PC’s Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 product key. For this to work, the key must match the edition of Windows 10 using the same upgrade matrix.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/7122/windows-10-fall-update-is-set-for-november-release

Make sure you download the latest ISO with the Media Creation tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Again, I can't confirm it, because I have yet to reinstall Windows 10 on my machine, but since the November Update (Threshold 2), you're able to activate Windows with your Windows 7 or 8 key.

Activation changes. As previously reported, Windows 10 Fall Update will support activating with your PC’s Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 product key. For this to work, the key must match the edition of Windows 10 using the same upgrade matrix.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/7122/windows-10-fall-update-is-set-for-november-release

Make sure you download the latest ISO with the Media Creation tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

What is an "upgrade matrix?"

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
What's this?

You know when you grab a window, move it to the side of the screen, and it automatically resizes snaps, and asks you which of your other open windows you want to cover the other half of the screen?

Well, now, once that is done, if you grab the area where both windows meet and move it, both windows will be resized accordingly. Meaning they never overlap and perfectly fit the screen estate. So for instance, if you go "I don't need the left window to fill exactly half of the screen, let me shrink it a bit", the other window will go "oh, look at all that empty space now! Let me just fill that." So convenient.

(Doesn't work with a 4-window space though)

You know when you grab a window, move it to the side of the screen, and it automatically resizes snaps, and asks you which of your other open windows you want to cover the other half of the screen?

Well, now, once that is done, if you grab the area where both windows meet and move it, both windows will be resized accordingly. Meaning they never overlap and perfectly fit the screen estate. So for instance, if you go "I don't need the left window to fill exactly half of the screen, let me shrink it a bit", the other window will go "oh, look at all that empty space now! Let me just fill that." So convenient.

(Doesn't work with a 4-window space though)
im gonna love that feature once i get my pc back from repair

Anyone know why Windows is installing the following?

Intel - Other hardware - Intel RSTe Device - 2F9C

Intel - Other hardware - Intel(R) C610 series/X99 chipset SPSR - 8D7C

It just keeps going, at lest 20+ entries in my update all about Intel-Other Hardware.

Can I safely remove them? are they harmless?

Thanks.

So if I use the standard W10 upgrade installer will it allow me to choose 64 bit if I'm using 32 or will I have to manually download the 64 bit client?

So if I use the standard W10 upgrade installer will it allow me to choose 64 bit if I'm using 32 or will I have to manually download the 64 bit client?

If by standard upgrade installer you mean the media creation tool, then yes, Microsoft will allow you to choose between a 64 bit installer or a 32 bit installer.

If by standard upgrade installer you mean the media creation tool, then yes, Microsoft will allow you to choose between a 64 bit installer or a 32 bit installer.

So I'm running the 32-bit W10, but need to upgrade to 64-bit, but the 64-bit Media Creation Tool won't run on a 32-bit OS. So...What do I do here?

I created the 64-bit ISO. Trying to move it to a 16GB flash drive. I tried doing it manually and tried using a program called Rufus. Neither one has worked. I'm getting failures and random errors. Any help or guidance out there?

clav

I created the 64-bit ISO. Trying to move it to a 16GB flash drive. I tried doing it manually and tried using a program called Rufus. Neither one has worked. I'm getting failures and random errors. Any help or guidance out there?

You can only make a 64-bit USB installer from a 64-bit machine.

Can you burn the image to DVD?

Are there any new features I should be excited about? I finally upgraded but it just seems like a more modern looking version of 8 with slightly more awkward controls if you're used to 8.

Rootbeer

Banned
What the helll... MS has removed the ability to update to Threshold with the media creating tool. (just learned that I could do that in this thread)

Need to use windows update and wait for it if you do not have. And a fresh install is the old version of windows with updates as needed.

That sucks

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3007...e-download-of-november-windows-10-update.html

What the hell... MS just keeps blocking all the options power users have to get the version they want on their system, even when it's THE LATEST version.

So they aren't going to provide a TH2 Full Install ISO for people who want to install W10 fresh with the latest 'service pack'? it's so counterproductive.

are we going to have to go back to the old way of people creating slipstreamed ISOs and sharing them on torrent sites to make the lives of clean installers easier?

What the hell... MS just keeps blocking all the options power users have to get the version they want on their system, even when it's THE LATEST version.

It's not a "block", they've pulled the update over the weekend for some reason. I'd expect to hear about it early next week.

Rootbeer

Banned
It's not a "block", they've pulled the update over the weekend for some reason. I'd expect to hear about it early next week.

That's not what the article makes it out to be, though I'm not sure of their repute:

Microsoft responded to Bott’s story to explain that the November Update’s removal was intentional, and that the company “decided that future installs should be through Windows Update.”

clav

So they aren't going to provide a TH2 Full Install ISO for people who want to install W10 fresh with the latest 'service pack'? it's so counterproductive.

are we going to have to go back to the old way of people creating slipstreamed ISOs and sharing them on torrent sites to make the lives of clean installers easier?

Year of 180 continues.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...mes-windows-10-1511-downloads-explains-itself

“Recently we learned of an issue that could have impacted an extremely small number of people who had already installed Windows 10 and applied the November update,” a Microsoft statement belatedly explains. “Once these customers installed the November update, a few of their settings preferences may have inadvertently not been retained. For these customers, we will restore their settings over the coming days and we apologize for the inconvenience. We worked to resolve the issue as quickly as possible – it will not impact future installs of the November update, which is available [again] today.”‘

Top Bottom