• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there any way to request a mobile site in edge? trying to use this linx 7 I bought as a basic web browser, but it is serving up desktop sites and the text is tiny. almost unusable in portrait mode

Priz

Someone I know (who I fix their computer issues) upgraded to Windows 10 and is having insane constant issues with the Virtual Memory Paging File. I went in and manually set it and thought I fixed it but nope.

The error on every startup:
"Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer."

So it constantly gave him that error so I created a static one sized file and that fixed it for a while... then about 2-3 weeks later same error so I had him set it back to automatic and it fixed it for 2-3 weeks, now the same error again. I'm not sure why...

Anyone seen this before/seen a fix for it?

Mission

I just bought a reconditioned Dell Latitude. Dell doesn't (quite) list my model number in their list of supported hardware for Windows 10 but the upgrade tool says my model is good. Who should I believe?

Jzero

Someone I know (who I fix their computer issues) upgraded to Windows 10 and is having insane constant issues with the Virtual Memory Paging File. I went in and manually set it and thought I fixed it but nope.

The error on every startup:
"Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer."

So it constantly gave him that error so I created a static one sized file and that fixed it for a while... then about 2-3 weeks later same error so I had him set it back to automatic and it fixed it for 2-3 weeks, now the same error again. I'm not sure why...

Anyone seen this before/seen a fix for it?
If it bothers them that much they should just reset it to factory thought the advanced boot menu.

derFeef

Xbox Game DVR is okay-ish. It kinda eats performance even if the framerate is steady and fluid, the game just stutters along. Anyone else experienced this or has a solution? Both settings at high.

Exalted

I'm having a minor problem since i updated to W10, windows keeps listing multiple network adapters and conections under task manager and device manager. While the internet works just fine ,I've never experienced anything like this, tried updating the drivers but so far nothing has helped. Any idea what could be the cause of this. Also this is on a laptop, and i've never used a VPN or a proxy, or ever changed any networks settings.

wG60EO7.png

So today I was playing skyrim, and it crashed,I tried doing everything but it left me with the only option to just power it off, upon restarting I notice my pc was extremely slow, so I open task manager and noticed my disk at 100%, I can't do nothing, it just hangs and freezes, any one gotten this problem or know of any solution?

Iorv3th

I just bought a reconditioned Dell Latitude. Dell doesn't (quite) list my model number in their list of supported hardware for Windows 10 but the upgrade tool says my model is good. Who should I believe?

Depends, but it will probably work. I got a refurb and it upgraded fine. It wasn't listed on dells site as compatible. I don't think they are going to list most older devices as they are no longer under support.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
anyone else having issues during start up? twice in the last week i've had a BSOD right after logging in. now today when i just logged in there i got an error "C:Windows\system32\Config\systemprofile\Desktop is not accessible." I restarted and tried again and had no problems.

I'm guessing it's either to do with the last Windows 10 update. Not sure what it was called but it was a pretty big one. Either that or it's the newest AMD Drivers. 15.11.1 or Crimson.

Dambrosi

Banned
Help me! A Windows 10 upgrade popup just appeared on my monitor telling me to either upgrade now or upgrade later*. I'm on 8.1 at the moment and don't want to upgrade yet, so I clicked on "Upgrade Later" hoping to dismiss the dialog, but nope - it then presents me with an EULA screen, then downloads some files to the Win10 upgrade pack. Now it tells me that I have to choose a date for the upgrade, even though I wanted to delay that to a later date (sometime after the rumoured December update, which is supposed to fix a lot of issues). How do I stop this? Please help!

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Help me! A Windows 10 upgrade popup just appeared on my monitor telling me to either upgrade now or upgrade later*. I'm on 8.1 at the moment and don't want to upgrade yet, so I clicked on "Upgrade Later" hoping to dismiss the dialog, but nope - it then presents me with an EULA screen, then downloads some files to the Win10 upgrade pack. Now it tells me that I have to choose a date for the upgrade, even though I wanted to delay that to a later date (sometime after the rumoured December update, which is supposed to fix a lot of issues). How do I stop this? Please help!

http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how...-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically/

see if that helps :)

Demise

Some questions before making the jump to w10 :

Is native flac support ok ?
Is native isos support ok ?
Is native mkv support ok ?

Are steam games full supported ?

Drifters

Flac works great native.
MKV too
Isos in terms of?

Steam games I've tried include TF2 and HL games, all work fine.

Yup.
It can mount and run them natively, if that's what you mean. I'm not sure what other support an ISO would need :p
Yup.

Uh... most of them? It's got damn solid legacy support, but they can't cover every contingency.

I haven't run into anything that straight up refused to work with Windows 10 since the full release, FWIW.

Mission

Depends, but it will probably work. I got a refurb and it upgraded fine. It wasn't listed on dells site as compatible. I don't think they are going to list most older devices as they are no longer under support.

Thanks. I decided to try it based on this post. So far it's gone ok. That is, it upgraded and I'm online etc. I thought it best to get it upgraded before I put anything important on and suddenly have an issue or it failed to upgrade in place.

If Microsoft believes all of your hardware is compatible, it should work just fine. Windows 10, like 8, 8.1, and 7, aren't that depending, especially in terms of hardware specs. You would have to be basically running a netbook-class device in order for Windows 10 to really show signs of performance issues on the device.

If you don't want to upgrade and you are happy with the current OS, you can stick with it, but I would advise upgrading as Windows 10 is the way of the future and basically (in the future), Windows 10 will be the only OS that will be continuously supported forever. Also, the free upgrade lasts only until July 2016, so I would grab it while it is still hot.

If, after upgrading, you don't like Windows 10, you can always downgrade back to your previous OS (within 30 days of upgrading iirc).

Hope this helped!

I'm having a minor problem since i updated to W10, windows keeps listing multiple network adapters and conections under task manager and device manager. While the internet works just fine ,I've never experienced anything like this, tried updating the drivers but so far nothing has helped. Any idea what could be the cause of this. Also this is on a laptop, and i've never used a VPN or a proxy, or ever changed any networks settings.

wG60EO7.png

First, I would try to restore the pc from a restore point. Secondly, if that doesn't solve the problem, then I would try to do a reset on the Windows install (with the option of keeping your personal files intact) and see what that does. Basically what this reset option does is reinstalls Windows 10 while keeping your personal files intact (it does remove 3rd party programs however. If choosing this option, Windows 10 will save a list of these 3rd party programs that will be removed, so that when Windows 10 is reinstalled, you can access this list and reinstall these apps again).

Mr_Zombie

As usual, there might be some compatibility issues with older games. I haven't run into any issues with any game I tried playing since I first installed Windows 10 Preview last year, though.

Also, due to security reasons Windows 10 won't run games that use more intrusive DRMs like Securom and SafeDisc (details). However, people are reporting that they have no problem running some games using those so it may depend on the version of DRM the game uses.

Demise

Yup.
It can mount and run them natively, if that's what you mean. I'm not sure what other support an ISO would need :p
Yup.

Uh... most of them? It's got damn solid legacy support, but they can't cover every contingency.

I haven't run into anything that straight up refused to work with Windows 10 since the full release, FWIW.

So I don't need VLC and Daemon's tool anymore ? I have vlc only because of the codec needed for MKV and FLAC support. You confirm it ? If you do, it's great.

So I don't need VLC and Daemon's tool anymore ? I have vlc only because of the codec needed for MKV and FLAC support. You confirm it ? If you do, it's great.

Cannot confirm directly that you won't need VLC, I mostly just stream shit. I've heard that it supports them, though.

But yeah, Daemontools is mostly obsolete now. Maybe if you need the Pro version for something you'd still need it, but Windows 10 mounts stuff just fine.

Demise

Cannot confirm directly that you won't need VLC, I mostly just stream shit. I've heard that it supports them, though.

But yeah, Daemontools is mostly obsolete now. Maybe if you need the Pro version for something you'd still need it, but Windows 10 mounts stuff just fine.

Thanks mate ^^ Neat to hear a lot of stuff are natively supported.

npa189

Was playing fallout 4 for most of the day and I was idling on the the desktop for 15 min and it automatically starts an update, seems to be fairly big too as its been on the "updating windows" screen with the circular progress bar. Is this a huge update or something? kinda irritating it didn't ask me if it was okay to update.

ItIsOkBro

I bought a Windows tablet for Black Friday and Windows 10 is complete ass for tablets. If Windows 8 w/ a mouse felt like navigating a touchscreen interface then Windows 10 on a tablet feels like navigating a desktop interface.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Why the hell has my computer started to lock up when my monitor goes into power saving mode and the screen saver comes on? The hard drive starts going crazy and the computer is on its knees trying to recover until I finally hit the reset button. This is so annoying and never happened on Win7. At first I thought it was defragging my drive so I turned off auto-defrag, and it still happens.

ItIsOkBro

Was playing fallout 4 for most of the day and I was idling on the the desktop for 15 min and it automatically starts an update, seems to be fairly big too as its been on the "updating windows" screen with the circular progress bar. Is this a huge update or something? kinda irritating it didn't ask me if it was okay to update.

That update was basically like a new operating system (~Windows 10.1), does the same thing the 8 to 10 update does, even leaves you a Windows.Old folder.

Paganmoon

Has anyone else's Edge tabs been buggy as hell since the last update? Tabs close, but you can still seem them in the tab bar, and clicking a tab doesn't open that one, but the one next to it etc. Have to restart edge to get it functional again.

Has anyone else's Edge tabs been buggy as hell since the last update? Tabs close, but you can still seem them in the tab bar, and clicking a tab doesn't open that one, but the one next to it etc. Have to restart edge to get it functional again.
It's been like this in the midst of the preview for me. And still not fixed.

It seems to occur when I have many tabs open.

DonMigs85

Is it normal that the Media Creation Tool only presents Windows 10 and 10 N now? No options for Pro or Single Language versions.

Hey GAF, thinking about upgrading, as I've been having driver issues recently with 7 and decided it's time to reformat anyways.

I have a Dell (OEM Windows 7), I'm wondering if I can do a fresh install with the media creation tool that Microsoft offers for download, and use my Windows 7 OEM key? Or, do I have to install it via Window 7 updates?

Thanks in advance, and my apologies if this has been asked. I'm still ZzzZZZZzz, and I can't seem to search for a clear answer.

Edit: Yup, worked.

Demise

Actually, I use a software solution to have a task bar on each of my screens (I have two screens on the same pc.) wich is quite annoying because it's not good at all, plus I prefer native solution. Do Windows 10 support multi task bars on multi screen natively ?

Actually, I use a software solution to have a task bar on each of my screens (I have two screens on the same pc.) wich is quite annoying because it's not good at all, plus I prefer native solution. Do Windows 10 support multi task bars on multi screen natively ?
Yes, it does. There are a few options with where you want to display application icons as well.

noomi

So I'm finally thinking about pulling the trigger on Windows 10 from my beloved Windows 7.

What's the general consensus after a few months now, yay or nay? I will be using it mostly for gaming.

Also is it better with a microsoft id or just a plain ole' local account?

Coreda

What on earth is Microsoft doing. They're planning on forcing W10 on W7/8 users by the start of next year under a recommended update?

I'd already managed to disable it as an optional update several times (it took 5-7 times before it stopped re-checking itself), but now if automatic updates are enabled it will be automatically downloaded in the near future, apparently.

Anyone have further clarification on whether unchecking the following box in the Windows Update settings would change this behavior?

dLMN8R

What on earth is Microsoft doing. They're planning on forcing W10 on W7/8 users by the start of next year under a recommended update?

I'd already managed to disable it as an optional update several times (it took 5-7 times before it stopped re-checking itself), but now if automatic updates are enabled it will be automatically downloaded in the near future, apparently.

Anyone have further clarification on whether unchecking the following box in the Windows Update settings would change this behavior?

I don't have time to find them at the moment, but the public blog post is perfectly clear that, as a recommended update, it would download automatically so it's ready to install when you want to upgrade (as long as you meet the compatibility requirements, have enough disk space, etc.) but it would never install until you explicitly tell it to install.

But yes, if you deselect that checkbox, none of it will happen.

Majine

Banned
I don't know if this is obvious news, but why is search so fucking awful? Some apps just don't show up, and you can't search for contacts, something I loved about OSX.

Coreda

I don't have time to find them at the moment, but the public blog post is perfectly clear that, as a recommended update, it would download automatically so it's ready to install when you want to upgrade (as long as you meet the compatibility requirements, have enough disk space, etc.) but it would never install until you explicitly tell it to install.

But yes, if you deselect that checkbox, none of it will happen.

I would hope so, given how so far they've been overriding user's own settings about it time and time again.

No idea why people would not want a free upgrade to their best operating system to date

You really can't think of a single reason why someone wouldn't want W10 after all that's been written about it, or why someone wouldn't want a forced OS install. Really.

Windows 10's OS upgrade usually reverts to built-in drivers or Windows Update drivers. The system does back up the previous driver, so you can actually easily switch back to the one you were using before through Device Manager. It'll be in there.

I have no problem with Windows Update drivers on an AMD card or old Nvidia card.

You should be OK now.
I was banned for a few weeks so I wasn't able to reply to this sooner:
I didn't know that it reverts to built-in drivers. I don't recall any previous Windows upgrades doing that before. However, it's good to know for the future, thanks.

As for "being ok now" - not in the slightest. I've had numerous BSODs since. Windows Update has been failing to update for the past few weeks, but I was finally able to force it through today. Fingers crossed. -_-

Klocker

I would hope so, given how so far they've been overriding user's own settings about it time and time again.

You really can't think of a single reason why someone wouldn't want W10 after all that's been written about it, or why someone wouldn't want a forced OS install. Really.

based on my personal experience with two machines?
No I cannot imagine why anyone would not want to upgrade to the best OS yet for free... unless they had one or two specific legacy software or hw issues causing them to postpone it until they updated their older issues on their machines. I'd even wipe my machine clean and start over to get it if I had to.

And as has been explained it is not a forced install.

Jzero

You really can't think of a single reason why someone wouldn't want W10 after all that's been written about it

Just because people are in denial about windows 10, 8.1, 8 being better than Windows 7 doesn't make Windows 7 the better OS. People hate change and Windows 10 is a huge change.

Top Bottom