• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Coreda

Just because people are in denial about windows 10, 8.1, 8 being better than Windows 7 doesn't make Windows 7 the better OS. People hate change and Windows 10 is a huge change.

I'm using 8.1 currently and never thought W7 was better which is why I skipped it. With the privacy and UI changes in 10, post after post about incompatibilities, and sly methods Microsoft is pulling to get users to upgrade it's just not something I'm interested in at all.

W8.1 had it's fair share of issues and the trouble to get it to a satisfactory state I've written several long posts about. W10 looks to be a similar headache tbh and it's not unreasonable to want to avoid.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Just because people are in denial about windows 10, 8.1, 8 being better than Windows 7 doesn't make Windows 7 the better OS. People hate change and Windows 10 is a huge change.

It's a POS.

Long story short

In windows 7 I could enjoy DS4, my 360, and lightboost. Now None of them work and I have to deal with an update bug that will basically force me to reinstall with no real gaurantee my DS4 or lightboost problems will be resolved.

People don't hate change, people hate incompetence or worse a glitchy OS that really could've been tested better.

Jzero

In windows 7 I could enjoy DS4, my 360, and lightboost. Now None of them work and I have to deal with an update bug that will basically force me to reinstall with no real gaurantee my DS4 or lightboost problems will be resolved.

This literally happens with every Windows upgrade regardless of version which is why i clean install or reset after the update. I could use all those fine on my computer.

cabot

No idea why people would not want a free upgrade to their best operating system to date

In my case, theres a bug with the hardware in my old laptop, which causes it to freeze on the boot screen when upgrading. So it isn't possible unless i replace the wi-fi card in the laptop.

I found out yesterday this is a specific issue with this specific laptop model.

That's too much effort for a backup PC.

Also DS4 works for me on W10. No issues wireless or wired.

My PC has Vista. What would be the best way to get Win 10? I don't want to pay full price, as the old machine gets very little use... should I find a cheap copy of win 7 and upgrade from there?

LCGeek

formerly sane
This literally happens with every Windows upgrade regardless of version which is why i clean install or reset after the update. I could use all those fine on my computer.

I did clean install on various machines including this one and it still happened. That's nice your crap works but mine doesn't and I left you a nice picture before you waste my time with useless tech advice. Beyond dumb and other users experience it too, but hey go ahead and mention your machine when it has nothing to do with mine.

360XboxBroke_zpsukllcxnh.jpg

win10 POS for the most part.

DonMigs85

The latest build is great. Runs fine on my old Core 2 Quad Q8200 Dell PC and it didn't even attempt to ever force drivers on me through Windows Update so far. All you guys having issues may want to try a clean install with this build, not 10240. The memory compression feature is also nifty and makes it feel snappier than 7 or 8, especially with mechanical HDDs.

noomi

How can I tell which build of Windows 10 I have?

System Properties on My PC?

I just created a clean install USB last night, I would hope that this would have the latest version.

dLMN8R

How can I tell which build of Windows 10 I have?

System Properties on My PC?

I just created a clean install USB last night, I would hope that this would have the latest version.

start --> run --> winver

If you see "version 1511 (OS Build 10586.29)" that's the latest.

I keep trying to update to the latest version of Win 10 ver 1511 (OS Build 10586) but it keeps having a error.

I was hoping updating to the latest build would solve the random restart issue, and I already fixed the problem with the computer going to sleep and never waking up when trying to remotely start Plex player from another device.

I'm currently on Build 10240.

Any idea on how to get the update to take place successfully?

Jesus Microsoft just scared the every loving daylight out of me. I am running Windows 10 on my Linx 10 tablet (currently refuse to install 10 on my gaming pc) and there was an update which it automatically started installing just as I was about to shut everything down for the night. I thought ah well it will only take five mins ..............

Yeah nearly TWO HOURS later everything starts up as normal then I get a slightly cyan screen that looks like it was done by a five year old in paint with some ominous white text that says "All your files are where you left them". The first thought that went through my mind was "fuck I have been infected by that Crypto locker 4.0 virus shit". Really Microsoft use a bit of common sense and at least put your damn logo on these screens.

Anyway 5 mins later I get another slightly cyan screen proclaiming how there are new features available. It didn't bother to actually TELL ME what these new features are mind you.

I keep trying to update to the latest version of Win 10 ver 1511 (OS Build 10586) but it keeps having a error.

I was hoping updating to the latest build would solve the random restart issue, and I already fixed the problem with the computer going to sleep and never waking up when trying to remotely start Plex player from another device.

I'm currently on Build 10240.

Any idea on how to get the update to take place successfully?

Stay away from Nov Update/TH2!!! Just look at the networking problems it is giving us!

A 13-page (and growing!) thread!!!

Since I hinted at the networking problems that build 1511 (OS build 10585.xx) is giving me and others (in the post above), I thought I might as well specifically list out the problems here so that those of you who have similar problems can speak up and help me out. Here is what I am dealing with:

Let me just chime in and say that I am having exactly the same issues mentioned in this thread. Specifically these issues:
  • Workgroup computers not showing up in the Networking window
  • even after applying the "troubleshooting" fix that supposedly fixes the missing networking sockets issue, I still can't see every single Workgroup computer (only Win 10 boxes are showing up, Windows XP desktop isn't showing up)
  • Homegroup isn't working: even after creating a new Homegroup, other computers seem to join it but don't show up
  • BIGGEST PROBLEM OF ALL: The Windows XP box has my Printer attached to it, so all the computers in the home network access this "server" to print remotely. Because this latest update broke networking, Win 10 boxes can't detect the XP box and thus can't print remotely to this printer! HUGE HEADACHE!

Is Microsoft aware of this issue after the latest Cum Update? Why did this happen?

PS: I also tried clean installing Windows 10, but this doesn't solve these network issues! Basically, it looks TH2 (and later) created these problems, as the July RTM build didn't have these problems for me at all!

Jesus Microsoft just scared the every loving daylight out of me. I am running Windows 10 on my Linx 10 tablet (currently refuse to install 10 on my gaming pc) and there was an update which it automatically started installing just as I was about to shut everything down for the night. I thought ah well it will only take five mins ..............

Yeah nearly TWO HOURS later everything starts up as normal then I get a slightly cyan screen that looks like it was done by a five year old in paint with some ominous white text that says "All your files are where you left them". The first thought that went through my mind was "fuck I have been infected by that Crypto locker 4.0 virus shit". Really Microsoft use a bit of common sense and at least put your damn logo on these screens.

Anyway 5 mins later I get another slightly cyan screen proclaiming how there are new features available. It didn't bother to actually TELL ME what these new features are mind you.
You're not the first to think this. I guess this is a sign of the times - computer tells the user "nothing's wrong!" and immediately we become suspicious.

manfestival

seems like windows 10 has given the same split in experience just as the windows 8 update. Is it worth upgrading to windows 10 or are things still to screwy on it? about to build a new rig and I want to do an update to 10 right away if its overall worth it or pick between 7/8 if I will be staying back

seems like windows 10 has given the same split in experience just as the windows 8 update. Is it worth upgrading to windows 10 or are things still to screwy on it? about to build a new rig and I want to do an update to 10 right away if its overall worth it or pick between 7/8 if I will be staying back

My problem in this scenario is that Windows 10 will be the de facto Microsoft OS going forward as in the next decade or so, Windows 7/8/8.1 will lose support and Windows 10 will become the only OS which Microsoft supports in the long run. If Microsoft is giving you the OS for free until July 2016, I say upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 and if you don't like the experience, downgrade back, and then when it seems like Microsoft has fixed these annoying [1st Gen] bugs, just upgrade back up.

This is possible because when you upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10, the upgrade licence becomes associated with your CPU+Mobo combination so that when you decide to downgrade down to 7/8/8.1 and then re-upgrade in the future, you won't need to enter a product key.

Hope this long-winded post helps!

Not going to update to 10 until they turn off forced driver updates. I can run a script to disable all the built in spyware stuff, but I don't want it fucking with my video drivers.

You're not the first to think this. I guess this is a sign of the times - computer tells the user "nothing's wrong!" and immediately we become suspicious.

I think the situation could've been improved if there had been any indication that these were official messages from Microsoft. But there isn't all you get is a cyan screen filling the whole screen and some crappy amateur white text. It looked that unprofessional that it looked like it was made by some cretin hacker.

Urgh I really feel like I have less control over my hardware in 10 than I do with 7. I don't mind having win 10 on my cheapo tablet because I don't use it for anything important (just youtube stuff whilst gaming). However after after several months of trying to use win 10 I cannot see me installing win 10 on my gaming PC.

Guri

So, for those worried about that bizarre rumour that Windows 10's activation is attached to the motherboard, yesterday I changed mine, it asked to activate again and I just put my old Windows 8 key. Worked perfectly. I should also say that this was made possible by the 1511 version, which can be downloaded on Microsoft's Windows 10 site. Before that, I believe I would have needed to contact them. But yeah, it works OK now.

Not going to update to 10 until they turn off forced driver updates. I can run a script to disable all the built in spyware stuff, but I don't want it fucking with my video drivers.

Never downloaded any video drivers via Windows Update since I disabled that option on both my PC (AMD card) and laptop (Nvidia card).

Guri

How much control do you have over updates?

I never used Windows 10, and my primary reason are the forced updates.Did anything change so far?

You can defer updates if you are on Pro. I chose not to, since most of them are security-related or bug fixes and never had any problem. You can download a Microsoft tool to ignore an update indefinitely (it will ask you again sometimes, but you can just run it again). Also, you can choose to not update Windows Store apps until you manually do so.

For drivers, like I said, you can check an option for Windows Update to not download them.

I don't know if this is obvious news, but why is search so fucking awful? Some apps just don't show up, and you can't search for contacts, something I loved about OSX.
It's not obvious news, search IS really terrible, and always has been in Windows imho. Especially so if you compare it to OSX Spotlight. That being said, Windows 10's search is leaps and bounds better than previous iterations of the OS. I realize that's a low bar, but I'll take what I can get. :)

I found personally my search results improved after I did a reset of the OS (had originally upgraded from 8.1).

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Does anyone know what the new update just did?

Rather than boot it was all "We've updated you're PC. We're really excited about these new features" MS I don't give a fuck about any features you updated and then didn't bother telling me what these wonderful features are. Jeez. >>;

clav

Rather than boot it was all "We've updated you're PC. We're really excited about these new features" MS I don't give a fuck about any features you updated and then didn't bother telling me what these wonderful features are. Jeez. >>;

Here you go. Don't feel like typing it up.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/7695/heres-whats-new-in-the-windows-10-fall-update

Just read the stuff in bold if you're a tl;dnr person.

Having a weird issue... every few days my performance goes to shit. Browsing, regular tasks, all that works but when I boot up a game (nearly any game) my FPS is just in the toilet. 30-40 FPS down to 8, tops. Even really old games seem to crap out. Just tried Evil Genius and I had a bunch of hitching. Restarting it always fixes it, but I'd like to try and just fix it outright.

Using a Lenovo Y500 with a GT750M graphics card, 8 gigs ram, i7-3630 @ 2.4GHz.

clav

Having a weird issue... every few days my performance goes to shit. Browsing, regular tasks, all that works but when I boot up a game (nearly any game) my FPS is just in the toilet. 30-40 FPS down to 8, tops. Even really old games seem to crap out. Just tried Evil Genius and I had a bunch of hitching. Restarting it always fixes it, but I'd like to try and just fix it outright.

Using a Lenovo Y500 with a GT750M graphics card, 8 gigs ram, i7-3630 @ 2.4GHz.

Either try different drivers or disable fast boot.

danielcw

You can defer updates if you are on Pro. I chose not to, since most of them are security-related or bug fixes and never had any problem. You can download a Microsoft tool to ignore an update indefinitely (it will ask you again sometimes, but you can just run it again). Also, you can choose to not update Windows Store apps until you manually do so.

For drivers, like I said, you can check an option for Windows Update to not download them.

What can you tell me about that tool?
Is it easy to handle? Maybe a link?
Does it work on every version of Windows 10, or just Pro+?

Mr_Zombie

You mean the new stable update (the fall update) or the insider preview update that was released last Thursday? If it's the latter, it's nothing really big for users, just improvements to Windows OneCore (shared core for the desktop and mobile version of the system).

Microsoft also announced that we should expect more and faster updates in the fast ring in coming months.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-11082/

I ended up just doing a fresh install and now I get a "Please Activate" watermark on my screen...says I have already activated the key....

What should I do?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Is anyone else getting BSOD's? I've been getting getting them about over a month now since the update first half of November.

I build my PC in February and when Windows 10 came out I got an SSD and put new 16GB RAM in. The SSD/RAM have been working fine but keep getting these BSOD's all of a sudden.

I just got one there and all I could see was "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" i'm not sure how to read and error logs there may be. a quick google says i should check my RAM. i just did a command prompt "sfc/scannow" scan and no errors. gonna try the windows memory management and memtest to see if it's the RAM sticks.

my GPU (r9 290) is fully updated to crimson 15.12. if this keeps happening I might go back to Windows 8.1 and see if it happens there. Really don't know what else to do.

Is anyone else getting BSOD's? I've been getting getting them about over a month now since the update first half of November.

I build my PC in February and when Windows 10 came out I got an SSD and put new 16GB RAM in. The SSD/RAM have been working fine but keep getting these BSOD's all of a sudden.

I just got one there and all I could see was "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" i'm not sure how to read and error logs there may be. a quick google says i should check my RAM. i just did a command prompt "sfc/scannow" scan and no errors. gonna try the windows memory management and memtest to see if it's the RAM sticks.

my GPU (r9 290) is fully updated to crimson 15.12. if this keeps happening I might go back to Windows 8.1 and see if it happens there. Really don't know what else to do.
Yes, ever since the November update. I mentioned it in a couple posts in the thread. I'm probably just going to reformat and hope for the best.
Fucking Windows..

BraXzy

I did an update last night that took a very long time and even had a weird new installation UI rather than the usual Configuring updates screen. It looked like it was installing Windows again. Anyhow, the funny message saying "Your files are exactly where you left them" showed up.

My computer feels slower and things keep freezing since...

Charcoal

Have you had any instances of freezing after a certain amount of time? My PC will freeze after about an hour of use and it's strange because I can still move my mouse, but I can't provide any input.

Myself and several others have had discussed it briefly in the troubleshooting thread.

Sora_N

My laptop is new, I received this 2 weeks ago.

A few days ago I decided to check for updates and then I think everything broke.

I get phantom clicks with my pointer, it makes it look like someone or something is clicking and moving my screen even when I disable the touchpad.

The built-in calculator program died, I can't open it.

I need to use it more to test out what else is wrong, but since this system is pretty new I might just reset it all. It's really annoying since I set up stuff on it already and downloaded stuff too.

EDIT: Also, after the update I see a different icon/button for Cortana and after I noticed everything broke I reverted back and somehow I can't even re-update. It's really stupid.

eso76

Yeah, getting random BSOD here and there, for no apparent reason.
Mostly kernel security something, but not only.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It doesn't look that bad. I actually thought the green and blue text
It looks bad, especially on task bar icons that you don't care to know are compressed or not.

What was so wrong with the way compressed files were displayed for the last decade or more?

How is gaming on windows 10? Im thinking about upgrading now during the holidays.
https://fix10.isleaked.com/

This is just a broad guide, but I don't think it covers everything. I believe any time you enter text into the search, MS is picking it up.

Top Bottom