• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this browser have fullscreen mode?

It indeed does!
redir
But then learning the gestures that make the app so awesome is necessary. Watch the video in the link to get a feel for how it works and its features.

And for those of you with stock calendar woes (all of us) Chronos Calendar is a great (albeit not very metro)replacement that fully synchs with the native one

http://www.wpcentral.com/chronos-calendar-windows-phone-not-only-great

Troll

Banned
It indeed does!

But then learning the gestures that make the app so awesome is necessary. Watch the video in the link to get a feel for how it works and its features.

And for those of you with stock calendar woes (all of us) Chronos Calendar is a great (albeit not very metro)replacement that fully synchs with the native one

http://www.wpcentral.com/chronos-calendar-windows-phone-not-only-great

I'll give that calendar app a try. I like what I see so far.

bedlamite

Surfcube - best browser on WP

The swipe interface takes a few minutes to get used to, but after that there isn't anything else that compares, imo

WP is up 0.2% in january according to comscore. BB in frefall.

wpcomscorejandata.jpg
Good month for Windows Phone
In January the U.S. smartphone market expanded by 3.5 million subscribers - using Comscore's numbers from December and January - from 125.9 million to 129.4 million people. The month over month increase, and Comscore reports a three month average, then means that Windows Phone's user base expanded by nearly 360,000 people to 4.0 million, a 10% increase. That is a number that moves the needle, as it were. A little more than 1 in 10 people in the U.S. chose a Windows Phone over any other OS in January.

^ This is like we are so happy we won $5.00 scratch it lottery while Google and Apple just won Super Jackpot.

On another note, the new HERE map and navigation is a big improvement. Thought the integration is still odd in place, for example if you go to your contact and hit the address instead of offering to open it in Drive it take you to the "hidden" (On Lumia phone) Bing map instead. I have to copy and paste address into Nokia Drive (unless there are other way and I was too dumb to figure it out).

Also I wish Nokia would integrate their "Lens" better and have it built into Camera suite instead of open as separate apps. (I thought it used to do this on my old HTC Titan).

Nokia is a bit nervous about Microsoft Surface Phone and Microsoft support of the OS or may be we are just read too much into thing. (Android Lumia incoming when Surface Phone launch?).

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/9/4082036/nokia-sec-filing-microsoft-smartphone-hints

Nokia has never used such wording before, suggesting that the possibility of a Surface phone is a more serious consideration in Espoo than ever before. Nokia also acknowledges a new risk that Microsoft could reduce investment in Windows Phone or even discontinue it. Nokia states "if Microsoft reduces investment in that operating system or discontinues it, our smartphone strategy would be directly negatively affected by such acts." This scenario is far less likely than a Surface phone, but it's a new admission by Nokia regardless. The SEC filing is all related to risk, so such wording is common, but Nokia did not have the same statements in its previous filing last year.

venne

Nokia is a bit nervous about Microsoft Surface Phone and Microsoft support of the OS or may be we are just read too much into thing. (Android Lumia incoming when Surface Phone launch?).

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/9/4082036/nokia-sec-filing-microsoft-smartphone-hints

They'd be stupid not to acknowledge the possibility.

That article is idiotic. Of course Nokia didn't have it in last year's filing, no one knew Microsoft was throwing their hat into the hardware ring. The Surface announcement was a big surprise last summer.

Milchjon

CeBIT is fucking boring. But I got to hold the 720 and 520.

The 520 is really cute. I didn't like the 720 that much. Sure, it's lighter and slimmer, but it's also not really beautiful.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The 520 is such a crazy bargain. Too bad about the 512MB, otherwise it could be the undisputed king of the cheapy smartphone bin.

maeh2k

The 520 is such a crazy bargain. Too bad about the 512MB, otherwise it could be the undisputed king of the cheapy smartphone bin.

Most people would be fine with 512 MB. It's just a couple of unoptimized or especially demanding apps that need more. I think I'd be fine with 512. If I were to buy a phone now, I'd probably get the 620.

The 520 is neat, too, but I think I'd prefer having stuff like the compass (for CityLens), the LED flash, an FFC, and the Clearblack screen. Also those nice two-tone shells. However, the 520's price is pretty compelling, too.

I might recommend the 720 to my father, who I think must be due for an upgrade soon. His contract should cover phones in that price range without extra costs. Seems like a great phone. It apparently has the best battery life of all the Lumias. Battery capacity like the 920, but lower power draw.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The 620 is the best bargain phone out there. I love it. I am now using it with a Straight Talk At&t sim. $45 pay as you go unlimited data, text and voice.
^ This is like we are so happy we won $5.00 scratch it lottery while Google and Apple just won Super Jackpot.

On another note, the new HERE map and navigation is a big improvement. Thought the integration is still odd in place, for example if you go to your contact and hit the address instead of offering to open it in Drive it take you to the "hidden" (On Lumia phone) Bing map instead. I have to copy and paste address into Nokia Drive (unless there are other way and I was too dumb to figure it out).

Also I wish Nokia would integrate their "Lens" better and have it built into Camera suite instead of open as separate apps. (I thought it used to do this on my old HTC Titan).

If you hit directions in the Bing map there should be a button at the bottom to switch to the drive app.

Totakeke

My brother helped me get a 2nd hand 8X for 200 bucks (I haven't paid him yet). Visible scratches under light and the edges of the buttons are slightly worn off, but it's pretty good so far.

However other than the lockscreen and apps starting up faster, I don't really notice functional differences between this and my Omnia 7. :p

Also Feed Reader is still the best, not sure what you guys are up to recommending Nexgen Reader on WP8 when it's so slow to open up articles.

So, I've been an 820 owner for the last 2 weeks and all in all, I'm extremely satisfied. It's my first smartphone, so it's obviously quite a big step from my old phone.

It was fantastic to have during a recent trip to London, where I was able to navigate around the entire city including the tube thanks to the fantastic offline maps service. My sister was pretty jealous (she has a Galaxy SII). Lack of apps is a bit annoying at times, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything essential.

Now, I've got two questions though:

My home WiFi is kinda weird. It's not enough to simply enter the WPA password, but instead we also had to set up network settings manually (including set IPs, etc.) to make it work. Needless to say, I wasn't able to connect to our home WLAN with my phone so far.
Anyone here with similar experiences? It doesn't seem like I've got a whole lot of options when it comes to network settings on my phone, so I'm afraid I won't be able to connect at all.

Second, kinda related question: Due to the problem above, I'm bound to my data plan when I'm not on campus (university WiFi works like a charm, at least). I'm very conservative though, because there's no way for me to see just how much of it I have already used.
Now, I've heard about this fantastic app called DataSense. But it's not available. Apparently, there's only one carrier in Germany that provides it pre-installed. But I've heard that something called "Nokia Data Counter" is in the works.
Does anyone here know when this might launch for WP8? Honestly, I feel a bit "blind" without such a feature...

AnkitT

So, I've been an 820 owner for the last 2 weeks and all in all, I'm extremely satisfied. It's my first smartphone, so it's obviously quite a big step from my old phone.

It was fantastic to have during a recent trip to London, where I was able to navigate around the entire city including the tube thanks to the fantastic offline maps service. My sister was pretty jealous (she has a Galaxy SII). Lack of apps is a bit annoying at times, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything essential.

Now, I've got two questions though:

My home WiFi is kinda weird. It's not enough to simply enter the WPA password, but instead we also had to set up network settings manually (including set IPs, etc.) to make it work. Needless to say, I wasn't able to connect to our home WLAN with my phone so far.
Anyone here with similar experiences? It doesn't seem like I've got a whole lot of options when it comes to network settings on my phone, so I'm afraid I won't be able to connect at all.

Second, kinda related question: Due to the problem above, I'm bound to my data plan when I'm not on campus (university WiFi works like a charm, at least). I'm very conservative though, because there's no way for me to see just how much of it I have already used.
Now, I've heard about this fantastic app called DataSense. But it's not available. Apparently, there's only one carrier in Germany that provides it pre-installed. But I've heard that something called "Nokia Data Counter" is in the works.
Does anyone here know when this might launch for WP8? Honestly, I feel a bit "blind" without such a feature...

Is your home network DHCP based? Mine wasnt and I found out that static IP doesnt work on WP.

derFeef

My brother helped me get a 2nd hand 8X for 200 bucks (I haven't paid him yet). Visible scratches under light and the edges of the buttons are slightly worn off, but it's pretty good so far.

However other than the lockscreen and apps starting up faster, I don't really notice functional differences between this and my Omnia 7. :p

Also Feed Reader is still the best, not sure what you guys are up to recommending Nexgen Reader on WP8 when it's so slow to open up articles.

The hardware buttons are really shit, they come "worn off" from factory.
i can't even feel my power button anymore, it's like I push the edge of the phone and it reacts just like nothing.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Has anyone long-time experience with runtastic on WP8? Does it work good?

It works fine, but I would recommend endomodo instead. It has a win8 app as well as the ability to export data to fitbit and myfitnesspal if you ever decide to use that. Plus, runtastic is really pushy about getting you to buy the full version of the app AND pay a subscription on their site.

MarkusRJR

The 620 is the best bargain phone out there. I love it. I am now using it with a Straight Talk At&t sim. $45 pay as you go unlimited data, text and voice.

If you hit directions in the Bing map there should be a button at the bottom to switch to the drive app.
Are you having the same multi-touch problem a ton of people seem to be having? I'm on the verge of picking on up but if I end up with broken multitouch I'd just rather to avoid the phone entirely.

MCD

Here are the game developers that Xbox Windows Phone desperately needs - Please read, comment on the article itself, and tweet to everyone you can think o at Microsoft. Thanks guys!

Man...we are really missing a lot in the game department, aren't we?

I only played one or three titles back when I had my first WP7 device but it really sucks how MS isn't pushing things hard here.

If they aren't willing then at least open up the Xbox platform and let everyone, indie or not, to publish their own games under the Xbox brand with cheevos and all.

derFeef

It works fine, but I would recommend endomodo instead. It has a win8 app as well as the ability to export data to fitbit and myfitnesspal if you ever decide to use that. Plus, runtastic is really pushy about getting you to buy the full version of the app AND pay a subscription on their site.

Hm, Endomondo does not seem to work.
Log-in with facebook - black screen with blue pixel.
Register user - black screen with blue pixel.

Registered on the website, seems cool though!

Is your home network DHCP based? Mine wasnt and I found out that static IP doesnt work on WP.

Actually, I just found out that, well, DHCP is deactivated. I will try to find out if I can activate it with my router (it's a bit old...).

Thanks for the advice.

And it sucks that WP doesn't support that...

frontieruk

Actually, I just found out that, well, DHCP is deactivated. I will try to find out if I can activate it with my router (it's a bit old...).

Thanks for the advice.

And it sucks that WP doesn't support that...

could you not set an IP manually on the router using the phones MAC? so when the phone tries to connect it gets issued the same ip each time.

could you not set an IP manually on the router using the phones MAC? so when the phone tries to connect it gets issued the same ip each time.

Actually, our "router" doesn't have a whole lot of options because it is apparently just a modem! (that's not what I expected when I said it was old.)

Oh well, I'm moving somewhere else soon anyway, I hope I've got more luck over there.

Thanks for the advice though. I'll give it a try if all else keeps to fail.

frontieruk

Actually, our "router" doesn't have a whole lot of options because it is apparently just a modem! (that's not what I expected when I said it was old.)

Oh well, I'm moving somewhere else soon anyway, I hope I've got more luck over there.

Thanks for the advice though. I'll give it a try if all else keeps to fail.

if it's just a modem it wouldn't support wifi you'd have a wireless gateway plugged in which could setup a static ip and would support DHCP, it'll be the listed default gateway from running ipconfig from a command prompt in windows/

if it's just a modem it wouldn't support wifi you'd have a wireless gateway plugged in which could setup a static ip and would support DHCP, it'll be the listed default gateway from running ipconfig from a command prompt in windows/

I might be wrong about this, but everything I've managed to find out about this thing is that it isn't DHCP-capable and there are hardly any ways to configure the device. I accessed it a number of times, but there is almost nothing I can set up or change except for passwords and stuff like that.

It's this device: http://alice-wiki.de/Sphairon_Turbolink_IAD_WLAN (page is in German though)

Over there it's called a "Kombi (= combination) Modem".

... on the bright side: The router that awaits me at my new place should most definitely be DHCP capable. It didn't work the last time I tried to log in with my phone, but I guess it's simply deactivated. According to the manual, it has to work. I'll be sure to give it another try tomorrow.

frontieruk

I might be wrong about this, but everything I've managed to find out about this thing is that it isn't DHCP-capable and there are hardly any ways to configure the device. I accessed it a number of times, but there is almost nothing I can set up or change except for passwords and stuff like that.

It's this device: http://alice-wiki.de/Sphairon_Turbolink_IAD_WLAN (page is in German though)

Over there it's called a "Kombi (= combination) Modem".

... on the bright side: The router that awaits me at my new place should most definitely be DHCP capable. It didn't work the last time I tried to log in with my phone, but I guess it's simply deactivated. According to the manual, it has to work. I'll be sure to give it another try tomorrow.

right DHCP should be active on that device, if not can you at least see the wifi network and connect to it on your phone, but the connection doesn't work or is the connection refused?

Commodore

So tempted to try out Spotify lately. Boggles my mind how much Microsoft screwed up the transition between Zune and XBOX Music. So much of my playlists I've spent years building went crazy in the transition, especially the smart playlists. Been waiting for the Music app to finally improve enough to get a ton of the wrinkles out, but I'm finally loosing patience. Lack of a solid autoplaylist support option is killing me. I love the OS integration, being able Bing a song and download it, and I have 5+ years of music I've accumulated since the Zune's early days using the Pass, and all those ratings, but damn, the service is a shallow husk of what it used to be. I look at Spotify's plethora of easily subscribable playlists out there, and think I'd honestly be better off using Spotify for a while until/IF MS infuses the soul back into their music service.

Far as I can tell, the WP8 Spotify app is only missing the radio feature that they've built into their iOS/Android variants. Anyone with experience with Spotify on WP8? Good? Bad?

MarkusRJR

So tempted to try out Spotify lately. Boggles my mind how much Microsoft screwed up the transition between Zune and XBOX Music. So much of my playlists I've spent years building went crazy in the transition, especially the smart playlists. Been waiting for the Music app to finally improve enough to get a ton of the wrinkles out, but I'm finally loosing patience. Lack of a solid autoplaylist support option is killing me. I love the OS integration, being able Bing a song and download it, and I have 5+ years of music I've accumulated since the Zune's early days using the Pass, and all those ratings, but damn, the service is a shallow husk of what it used to be. I look at Spotify's plethora of easily subscribable playlists out there, and think I'd honestly be better off using Spotify for a while until/IF MS infuses the soul back into their music service.

Far as I can tell, the WP8 Spotify app is only missing the radio feature that they've built into their iOS/Android variants. Anyone with experience with Spotify on WP8? Good? Bad?
What happened to Zune/Xbox Music? I'm still on WP7 so I haven't experienced it yet. I keep hearing a ton of people complaining though.

right DHCP should be active on that device, if not can you at least see the wifi network and connect to it on your phone, but the connection doesn't work or is the connection refused?

I can see the WiFi network and try to connect to it, but the last few times I tried it said "password incorrect". I even deactivated the password for a moment once but still wasn't able to connect, don't remember the exact error message though. It wasn't anything specific though.

Gonna try my new network tonight and report back.

catmincer

So, my Nexus 4 had a bung camera so I decided to get a Lumia 920, all is good so far except, my beats headphones (they were free) don't work properly in the 920. The in build microphone seems to be constantly working and whenever I go to text, it comes up with the speech recognise thing instead. Any ideas? Perhaps just a standard cable to replace the control deck one with the microphone?

Works fine with the crappy Nokia ear buds btw.

So, my Nexus 4 had a bung camera so I decided to get a Lumia 920, all is good so far except, my beats headphones (they were free) don't work properly in the 920. The in build microphone seems to be constantly working and whenever I go to text, it comes up with the speech recognise thing instead. Any ideas? Perhaps just a standard cable to replace the control deck one with the microphone?

Works fine with the crappy Nokia ear buds btw.

afaik there is an option where you can chose how speach-to-text is triggered when using headsets or bluetooth. you will probably be able to turn that off there

catmincer

So I fixed my issue. Oddly enough if I push the middle button on the control talk thing the sound is fine. So I taped it down and all good. A bit cheap looking but oh well.

nickcv

ok, i've got my first problem.

Amazing Weather HD is not working properly i think.
my lock screen, that previously was correctly displaying a background picture of my current weather, now is black.

did this happen to anyone else?
all the other infos in the lock screen are right (temperatures, wind, etc) i just don't have a background image anymore.

Think I'll be dumping the Lumia 620 first chance I get.

Once again my music just inexplicably fucks up. I get on the bus, prepare to listen to all the music I synced to the phone last night, but the phone has frozen on the lock screen. Okay, pull the battery, restart, go in to music, and wouldn't you know... The phone only detects two artists. One of which displays two albums and the other just one. Of course, all the music is viewable as individual tracks. Buy what fucking use is that to me?

Seriously, how hard is it to produce a basic, functional media player? I've now resynced this device I don't know how many times. And it always, for whatever various reasons, manages to fuck all the data up.

hadareud

The Translator
I had a similar problem with disappearing music on my 920, but a hard reset fixed it.

The "other" storage bug went away too after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom