• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nokia released Nokia: Glam Me Today

578462_10200907428110941_722425567_n.jpg

I'd say it did a good job. I've been looking for a new Profile pic for my Me Tile to replace my really blurry Cosume picture that I took on my laptop last haloween.

bedlamite

Another day, another Nokia app. These guys are awesome

Edit: looks like 2 Gameloft titles just got released on WP8: Amazing Spider-Man and Real Football 2013

Slightly OT, but I don't know where else to post it.

Best friends forever

jQctjph.jpg

Apple attracts one friend in Samsung appeal: Nokia

(Reuters) - Nokia has filed a brief in support of Apple Inc's bid to secure permanent injunctions against several Samsung Electronics Co Ltd phones, making the Finnish smartphone maker the only outside group to come forward in backing the iPhone maker's appeal.

The full brief filed on Monday at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington is currently sealed. In an accompanying summary, however, Nokia argued that a trial court judge got it wrong when she denied Apple's request for a permanent injunction.

In the filing on Monday, Nokia attorney Keith Broyles from Alston & Bird argued that U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose, California, erred by ruling that Apple must establish a "causal nexus" between its patented feature and the demand for its phones in order to secure a permanent injunction.

Such a rule "could cause wide-ranging damage to the United States patent protection landscape," Nokia said.

The deadline for amicus filings on behalf of Apple was Feb. 19, but Nokia asked for a 14-day extension to submit its brief. The Federal Circuit granted Nokia's request.

Besides Nokia, a review of the case docket shows, no other companies or advocacy groups have filed amicus briefs in support of Apple. An Apple spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In Nokia's filing, Broyles wrote that Nokia's interest is to advocate for patent rights as a means of fostering innovation.

"Nokia has recently been involved in numerous U.S. patent lawsuits, as both a plaintiff and defendant," Broyles wrote. "Nokia is thus both a significant patent owner that might seek an injunction to protect its patent rights, and a manufacturer in an industry in which patent owners routinely issue threats of injunctions for patent infringement."

Apple had asked the Federal Circuit to fast-track its appeal and immediately hear it before the full court. However, the court rejected that request and assigned the case to a three-judge panel to hear it first
http://newsandinsight.thomsonreuter...attracts_one_friend_in_Samsung_appeal__Nokia/

zedge

What are nokias intentions here? If its just to gang up on samsung cause they are selling so many phones I will lose a huge amount of respect for them.

hadareud

The Translator
Haven't even looked at the app; just saw the tweet:

might interest some of you.

Thanks.

Just gave it a go and it's buggy as hell. Crashed each time I tried to subscribe to a podcast and also when it finished downloading a podcast. Also won't download when not plugged in even though that setting is switched off.

Looks ok, but not ready for release imo.

What are nokias intentions here? If its just to gang up on samsung cause they are selling so many phones I will lose a huge amount of respect for them.

Preemptive strike, in case by off chance Windows Phone Lumia get really popular we won't see Samsung Galaxy Lumia version with colorful body style.

There were rumors of Samsung possibly stealing Nokia concepts.

http://www.neowin.net/news/nokia-may-drop-samsung-as-parts-supplier

Samsung is just innovating base on other people ideas.

PG2G

I don't think it has anything to do with Samsung. Nokia has a lot of patents, any changes to the "rules" or their interpretations is going to affect them.

zorbsie

When those podcast apps list this "Full integration with music + video hub" does that mean I can just go to music + video hub -> Podcasts and the downloaded podcasts are there? I really need to move away from downloading podcast in itunes and syncing them with the awful desktop windows phone app.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
When those podcast apps list this "Full integration with music + video hub" does that mean I can just go to music + video hub -> Podcasts and the downloaded podcasts are there? I really need to move away from downloading podcast in itunes and syncing them with the awful desktop windows phone app.

You can launch the app from the music+video hub, plus recently listened to podcasts will appear in the history column.

A bit crazy to think that just slightly more than three months, and my Lumia 900 will be out of warranty. Hmm...

It certainly served me very well in the 9 months I had with the phone.

Schlep

Don't see how anyone can use these phones by their own choice. Just spent the last five hours or so downloading apps and configuring the 8X, and it still feels nowhere near as powerful or intuitive as Android or iOS. A lot of that can probably be put on the lack of apps and the lack of companies caring (eg. Netflix not even full screen).

Anyway, company provided this phone and I'll use it until the Galaxy S4 is released.

Blackhead

Redarse
I still believe that Windows Phone is greatly harmed by the absence of an active and passionate jailbreak/rooting scene. Observe all the excitement over stardock's apps for Windows 8. Developers could take care of the all the little niggles (rotation lock!) that frustrate users while waiting for official Microsoft updates

Fjolle

Don't see how anyone can use these phones by their own choice. Just spent the last five hours or so downloading apps and configuring the 8X, and it still feels nowhere near as powerful or intuitive as Android or iOS. A lot of that can probably be put on the lack of apps and the lack of companies caring (eg. Netflix not even full screen).

Anyway, company provided this phone and I'll use it until the Galaxy S4 is released.

Is that wp8 specific? I haven't noticed that...

hadareud

The Translator
I still believe that Windows Phone is greatly harmed by the absence of an active and passionate jailbreak/rooting scene. Observe all the excitement over stardock's apps for Windows 8. Developers could take care of the all the little niggles (rotation lock!) that frustrate users while waiting for official Microsoft updates

That's definitely true. The ability to root and the huge community around it is one of the big draws for Android imo.

MS should be a bit more open/encourage the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom