• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

920 is 768p, same aspect ratio as WP7 devices. Theb8X is 720p and has a black bar in apps that have not been updated accordingly

its not an issue i had with the 920, pretty sure it was full screen.

the 920 is 1280 x 768, which is the same 15:9 aspect ratio as original 800 x 480 WP7 devices — this means all legacy apps run full-screen, though they might not be full resolution. the 8X is 1280 x 720, though, so WP8 apps need to be adapted specifically to support its 16:9 display or they won't fit.

kehs

Banned
I still believe that Windows Phone is greatly harmed by the absence of an active and passionate jailbreak/rooting scene. Observe all the excitement over stardock's apps for Windows 8. Developers could take care of the all the little niggles (rotation lock!) that frustrate users while waiting for official Microsoft updates

I think devs stopped caring about ms for the hacking scene when they were getting cease and desist orders for early wp7 stuff while simultanously getting aosp code from android.

kharma45

920 is 768p, same aspect ratio as WP7 devices. Theb8X is 720p and has a black bar in apps that have not been updated accordingly

the 920 is 1280 x 768, which is the same 15:9 aspect ratio as original 800 x 480 WP7 devices — this means all legacy apps run full-screen, though they might not be full resolution. the 8X is 1280 x 720, though, so WP8 apps need to be adapted specifically to support its 16:9 display or they won't fit.

cheers, didn't realise that's i never saw the black bars i expected to.

Don't see how anyone can use these phones by their own choice. Just spent the last five hours or so downloading apps and configuring the 8X, and it still feels nowhere near as powerful or intuitive as Android or iOS. A lot of that can probably be put on the lack of apps and the lack of companies caring (eg. Netflix not even full screen).

Anyway, company provided this phone and I'll use it until the Galaxy S4 is released.

Plenty of people use it by choice. Just because it doesn't fit your particular need doesn't mean it is shit for everyone else. Not everyone needs all the apps. And while I might rant on Microsoft constantly, I still prefer using my 920 over the Android phone, especially one as ugly as those put out by Samsung.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Another day, another cool app for Lumia owners. They just released the beta for Place Tag, which embeds locations and poi info with the photos you take.

Schlep

Is that wp8 specific? I haven't noticed that...
Might be HTC 8X specific since it's a 720p device.

Plenty of people use it by choice. Just because it doesn't fit your particular need doesn't mean it is shit for everyone else. Not everyone needs all the apps. And while I might rant on Microsoft constantly, I still prefer using my 920 over the Android phone, especially one as ugly as those put out by Samsung.
It's basically a hobbled OS. Little things like not being able to designate a bluetooth device as only media or only voice are frustrating. Basic apps like Netflix aren't updated for the flagship phones, there isn't even a Hulu app, and the lack of any kind of centralized notification center without having to scroll through all the tiles looking for changes is odd.

It's not the worst OS ever and I don't think it's shit, I just think it's odd to pick this one over the other two that don't have that post-apocalypse/Russian bazaar feel to their marketplaces.

hwalker84

It's basically a hobbled OS. Little things like not being able to designate a bluetooth device as only media or only voice are frustrating. Basic apps like Netflix aren't updated for the flagship phones, there isn't even a Hulu app, and the lack of any kind of centralized notification center without having to scroll through all the tiles looking for changes is odd.

It's not the worst OS ever and I don't think it's shit, I just think it's odd to pick this one over the other two that don't have that post-apocalypse/Russian bazaar feel to their marketplaces.

A hobbled OS for your needs. I don't use Nextflix or Hulu and on the other OS's the first thing I turn off is notifications i hate them! That's why I don't care 1 single bit when they finally get a notification center because I'll never use it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
How anyone can use an OS that I don't like is beyond me. Seriously, can't they see why I don't like it and adjust their priorities to match mine?

kehs

Banned
A hobbled OS for your needs. I don't use Nextflix or Hulu and on the other OS's the first thing I turn off is notifications i hate them! That's why I don't care 1 single bit when they finally get a notification center because I'll never use it.

wtf?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I turned off all notifications on my iPad. On my phone, I disabled the sound alerts for everything except texts, and even that I'm considering. I disabled all toast notifications and rely only on the tile badges. That way, I'm only checking the phone on my terms, not for every single random tweet dm or occurrence.

I still want a notification center in windows phone because people should have a choice, but for me notifications are a huge waste of time and serve only to distract me from doing actual work. It lulls me into thinking I'm being productive cause I'm responding to every stupid email and text and Facebook message and words by post response, but I'm actually becoming the opposite of productive.

Schlep

How anyone can use an OS that I don't like is beyond me.
Again, it's not about liking or not liking the OS. It's more about missing basic functionality: not being able to turn off voice/media on a bluetooth device, the phone continuing to play music after bluetooth is disconnected, no way of knowing what a notification was without scrolling through tiles, major apps either not existing or not functioning correctly (eg. not even being able to use Spotify Radio without a premium account like you can on iOS and Android and having to pay for Words with Friends), being unable to set ringtones for specific programs as opposed to overall uses (eg. different ringtone for work email vs. gmail), the search button going to default search instead of in-app search, being in a call and trying to browse mobile gaf is impossible because the top cuts off, etc.

I'm sure there is much more, this is just what I've found through 24 hours of use. It isn't to say I don't like things about the OS, I think Live Tiles are very interesting and can be useful, the Facebook integration is nice, having Office built in is nice for work, it has the best Skype client by far, imo, and overall it is very nice to look at. I'm sure that if MS continues to iterate on the OS it will be very nice someday.

Today I view it as an incomplete experience which would be more useful to a much older age group than it is to anyone else. It's a rather odd position to be in, because I love my Surface RT. In the end, it's just one person's opinion.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You're right, I think we should all utilize the bug free and functionally complete IOS and android devices.

I understand its your opinion, its just stated.......stupidly. If someone asked you how the hell you could justify liking surface when the iPad exists, it would be a stupid question. Yet, essentially, you are asking us the same thing on the phone side because you have specific issues that apparently are dealbreakers for you. For you. You. Not me. YOU. But you are wondering out loud how I and others here would choose this os instead of the competition.

Schlep

You're right, I think we should all utilize the bug free and functionally complete IOS and android devices.
Sure, all OS's have bugs and odd quirks about them, this one's just happen to stand out more because they're so basic.

I understand its your opinion, its just stated.......stupidly. If someone asked you how the hell you could justify liking surface when the iPad exists, it would be a stupid question. Yet, essentially, you are asking us the same thing on the phone side because you have specific issues that apparently are dealbreakers for you. For you. You. Not me. YOU. But you are wondering out loud how I and others here would choose this os instead of the competition.
If someone asked me about the Surface and the iPad, I would give my honest answer. Surface is a great device for Office and working with online software in a very portable format. For most people, I would recommend the iPad, but for what I do at work, the Surface is very nice.

It's the same thing I would say about this phone. If you want access to the most apps possible and you're tied into iTunes, go with iPhone. If you want a lot of apps, use a lot of Google services, and want the ability to customize a lot of your experience, go with Android. For WP, the best I can say is it's another option. I haven't found anything that I feel like is a huge strength to the OS. That isn't me saying it's awful and no one should use it, I just don't see something that jumps out and says, "This is why you should use WP!" There's Office, but I don't see people doing a lot of document editing on a phone. Even as a work phone, it doesn't do some pretty basic things like keep up to date with changes made on Exchange. Maybe after another month or two of use I'll feel differently.

frontieruk

Sure, all OS's have bugs and odd quirks about them, this one's just happen to stand out more because they're so basic.

If someone asked me about the Surface and the iPad, I would give my honest answer. Surface is a great device for Office and working with online software in a very portable format. For most people, I would recommend the iPad, but for what I do at work, the Surface is very nice.

It's the same thing I would say about this phone. If you want access to the most apps possible and you're tied into iTunes, go with iPhone. If you want a lot of apps, use a lot of Google services, and want the ability to customize a lot of your experience, go with Android. For WP, the best I can say is it's another option. I haven't found anything that I feel like is a huge strength to the OS. That isn't me saying it's awful and no one should use it, I just don't see something that jumps out and says, "This is why you should use WP!" There's Office, but I don't see people doing a lot of document editing on a phone. Even as a work phone, it doesn't do some pretty basic things like keep up to date with changes made on Exchange. Maybe after another month or two of use I'll feel differently.

I'll be the pity of you both when I pick up my Z10, so stop it...

ElNino

That's fine if you don't like the OS as compared to others, but your original comment was that you couldn't believe there was a scenario where anyone would choose WP over the alternatives. That would be like me posting in the Wii U thread on the Gaming side asking how anyone could choose to play on the Wii U over the PS3/360.

Personally, here a a few reasons why I chose WP over the other OS':
- Friends/Family social feeds and being able to pin individual person tiles to the homescreen
- Native support for Skydrive access
- Zune/Xbox Music
- Nokia apps ie. Drive/Maps/Cinemagraph/Transit/etc.
- Almost every app I need is present (or an alternative is available) and generally functions as good or better than I have used on other platforms

One of my most used features of the OS is my 'Family' group. I have them pinned to my homescreen up at the top with a double-wide tile. I get scrolling pictures, facebook updates, and notified of any email or IM from them.

When I click on the tile I get put into a mini 'people' hub where I can browse through photos and recent statuses. Tap on the photos of family and I have a stitched together set of photos from everyone in the family. My cousin just had a baby, and I didn't realize she had a whole album of the little guy until right now :)

Also, I'm bias.

One of my most used features of the OS is my 'Family' group. I have them pinned to my homescreen up at the top with a double-wide tile. I get scrolling pictures, facebook updates, and notified of any email or IM from them.

When I click on the tile I get put into a mini 'people' hub where I can browse through photos and recent statuses. Tap on the photos of family and I have a stitched together set of photos from everyone in the family. My cousin just had a baby, and I didn't realize she had a whole album of the little guy until right now :)

Also, I'm bias.

You're also the minority, where people around you have a Windows Phone. I've seen only 2 Windows Phones in the wild so far. Some woman with a black 900 and a client with an HD7. The idea of knowing enough people to make use of the room feature is laughable.

frontieruk

You're also the minority, where people around you have a Windows Phone. I've seen only 2 Windows Phones in the wild so far. Some woman with a black 900 and a client with an HD7. The idea of knowing enough people to make use of the room feature is laughable.

seen two 710' in the wild, multiple 800's, saw a 620 in use on a bus, I think almost all the WP in the UK are around me ;)

Schlep

That's fine if you don't like the OS as compared to others, but your original comment was that you couldn't believe there was a scenario where anyone would choose WP over the alternatives. That would be like me posting in the Wii U thread on the Gaming side asking how anyone could choose to play on the Wii U over the PS3/360.
It's a bit different, though, because Wii U will be the only place to get Nintendo games, which is a compelling argument for fans of Nintendo games. I'm not a stranger to using a less popular OS. I used Mac OS from 1999-2011, and have been using Ubuntu since. In both cases I have preferred the experience of the OS and the software options have been there. I just don't feel like they're there for WP, and using WP reminds me of when I used the Mac OS X Public Beta. One day it could be powerful, but at the moment it feels incomplete to me both as an OS and as an app platform.

Personally, here a a few reasons why I chose WP over the other OS':
- Friends/Family social feeds and being able to pin individual person tiles to the homescreen
- Native support for Skydrive access
- Zune/Xbox Music
- Nokia apps ie. Drive/Maps/Cinemagraph/Transit/etc.
- Almost every app I need is present (or an alternative is available) and generally functions as good or better than I have used on other platforms
Sounds like some good uses. Curious at the preference for Nokia Maps/Drive over Google Maps/Navigation and what apps you use that have better WP versions. I do like the ability to see the number of updates on contact tiles.

This actually just the 'group' feature.

The room feature I have with a bunch of my friends, and we use OneNote to plan out debauchery.

ElNino

Except, lastflowers' point about using the 'Family' group doesn't require anyone else to use Windows Phone. If he were talking about the 'Rooms' feature of WP8 then you might have a point, but even then it is useful for groups with other phones as well.

Sounds like some good uses. Curious at the preference for Nokia Maps/Drive over Google Maps/Navigation and what apps you use that have better WP versions. I do like the ability to see the number of updates on contact tiles.
I like Nokia Drive because it can download the maps to the phone and use it offline. Google maps might be able to that now... I really don't know but it couldn't last time I tried. In general I like Google maps on the PC, but I've found Bing/Nokia maps on the phone to be fine for everything I would use them for.

As for apps I prefer using on WP, some if them are simply because I'm used the Metro interface so the scrolling/swiping is sometimes prefered to the usual "button/icon" approach on iOS/Android (but this is certainly not true across the board). Apps like Weave (news reader), MetroTube (YouTube client) and TVShow are ones I use daily that I'm not sure I could get on other platforms.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Edited because others already corrected brot.

I'll just add that the social aspects built in and how they're utilized throughout, including with the live tiles and the Me tile, are my favorite part. And Nokia hardware. They're exclusive and this phone would give me phone envy no matter what platform it was on. Nokia has done a fantastic job with the camera and the software. Other than Apple, Nokia makes the only phone hardware I desire. Sony is getting close too.

hwalker84

The funny thing about notifications is not a single person I know has complained about the lack of a notification center. The only place I hear it discussed is in tech blogs and on this forum.

Except, lastflowers' point about using the 'Family' group doesn't require anyone else to use Windows Phone. If he were talking about the 'Rooms' feature of WP8 then you might have a point, but even then it is useful for groups with other phones as well.

I'm sorry, for some reason I read it as the room feature, not group.

It's a bit different, though, because Wii U will be the only place to get Nintendo games, which is a compelling argument for fans of Nintendo games. I'm not a stranger to using a less popular OS. I used Mac OS from 1999-2011, and have been using Ubuntu since. In both cases I have preferred the experience of the OS and the software options have been there. I just don't feel like they're there for WP, and using WP reminds me of when I used the Mac OS X Public Beta. One day it could be powerful, but at the moment it feels incomplete to me both as an OS and as an app platform.

No, it's not different. Not at all. His example was spot on. It's not about the platform holder or how unpopular the OS is or what you used in the past. It's about you joining a community thread and telling the community that what they like is shit and asking how they could possibly use it. All that in literally the first sentence.

Don't see how anyone can use these phones by their own choice.

It's all about attitude and first impression.

Schlep

I like Nokia Drive because it can download the maps to the phone and use it offline. Google maps might be able to that now... I really don't know but it couldn't last time I tried. In general I like Google maps on the PC, but I've found Bing/Nokia maps on the phone to be fine for everything I would use them for.
Yeah, you can make Google Maps cached for offline but I've never tried it. I prefer that method so I don't have to download a 2GB map file, but I do see the merits in having everything offline.

As for apps I prefer using on WP, some if them are simply because I'm used the Metro interface so the scrolling/swiping is sometimes prefered to the usual "button/icon" approach on iOS/Android (but this is certainly not true across the board). Apps like Weave (news reader), MetroTube (YouTube client) and TVShow are ones I use daily that I'm not sure I could get on other platforms.
TVShow isn't my kinda thing, but it looks like a nice app. I downloaded Nextgen Reader and Weave looks like a decent alternative, but I prefer the feedly format to both. MetroTube is nice and very fast. The only thing I've found that bugs me is having to lock to fullscreen for 720p.

Schlep

No, it's not different. Not at all. His example was spot on. It's not about the platform holder or how unpopular the OS is or what you used in the past. It's about you joining a community thread and telling the community that what they like is shit and asking how they could possibly use it. All that in literally the first sentence.
It's just an honest assessment of the phone and my reaction after using it. As someone who has embraced smaller platforms (Mac OS, Ubuntu, Windows RT, and Android pre-Froyo), I don't really go in with any agenda; I've loved all of those and continue to. This is the first software I've used since Windows Me where I just can't understand someone wanting to use it, but to each their own. If this thread only wants praise for the OS, I have no problem moving on. I criticize, but also give credit where it's due.

It's just an honest assessment of the phone and my reaction after using it. As someone who has embraced smaller platforms (Mac OS, Ubuntu, Windows RT, and Android pre-Froyo), I don't really go in with any agenda; I've loved all of those and continue to. This is the first software I've used since Windows Me where I just can't understand someone wanting to use it, but to each their own. If this thread only wants praise for the OS, I have no problem moving on. I criticize, but also give credit where it's due.

I actually laughed out loud.

frontieruk

I actually laughed out loud.

Really??? REALLY???

someone should actually read the thread and come back, I'm impressed... getting Brot to laugh, he's so salty on WP the sea spit him out and you think we want praise for the OS?

Troll

Banned
Jesus, Slurp is trolling the shit out of you guys. I step out of this thread for a few minutes and this is what happens? I have to admit, getting caught up was pretty entertaining.

frontieruk

Jesus, Slurp is trolling the shit out of you guys. I step out of this thread for a few minutes and this is what happens? I have to admit, getting caught up was pretty entertaining.

Oh com'on what's this thread without some drama every nth post? and are you stealth trolling Schlep?

f0lken

LOL @ thinking this thread only has praise for the OS, I don't participate much but I've been active since the 1st OT and we always have something to complain. This is not a WebOS thread.

It's because you're slacking
and everyone hates you to death

NeOak

Praise?

There is more salt in here about the current status of Windows Phone than in the fighting community threads when Justin Wong wins/loses something.

Just... lol

Blackhead

Redarse
Is there a way to transfer sms/mms histories between windows phones? What about between a Windows phone and an iPhone or Android device?

LOL @ thinking this thread only has praise for the OS, I don't participate much but I've been active since the 1st OT and we always have something to complain. This is not a WebOS thread.

C'mon son, webOS threads were never like that. That's some horsemeat right there.

Not to distract the whole meta commentary on our loved/cursed OS, but you guys checked out the new surfcube release? It has a lot of awesome new features

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom