• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickcv

ok, i've got my first problem.

Amazing Weather HD is not working properly i think.
my lock screen, that previously was correctly displaying a background picture of my current weather, now is black.

did this happen to anyone else?
all the other infos in the lock screen are right (temperatures, wind, etc) i just don't have a background image anymore.

quoting from last page.

can anyone help me out?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
quoting from last page.

can anyone help me out?

The obvious troubleshooting steps would be to select a different wallpaper app, then come back and try the weather app and see if it works. If not, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I use amazing weather with Bing background and that works. I remember some trouble at first where it would be all black, but when I set it as Bing + weather, its updating fine.

Milchjon

I hope us WP fanboys weren't quite as pathetic when the reviews hit:

I for one would prefer poor viewing angles, so people can’t see what i’m doing from the sides without the quality reduction from a privacy screen protector.

Idiots looking at their phones from the side are idiots.

Both from the Verge comment section of the Xperia Z review.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
After reading the xperia Z review and seeing the gs4 leak, I'm beginning to wonder if any phone manufacturer will make me get phone envy this year. I want none of the phones I'm seeing, which is weird because I would get phone envy all the time in the past few years with the Samsung windows phones I owned.

I'm thinking that the only two companies that will convince me to use my upgrade this year are either Nokia themselves or Apple. And a 5s wouldn't cut it, and IOS needs a thorough, complete overhaul which I don't think apple will ever commit to. I haven't been this sure of a phone purchase since I picked up the iPhone 3g four years ago, I'm really loving the 920, though its not perfect. A thinner, lighter phone would be a good start.

Milchjon

After reading the xperia Z review and seeing the gs4 leak, I'm beginning to wonder if any phone manufacturer will make me get phone envy this year. I want none of the phones I'm seeing, which is weird because I would get phone envy all the time in the past few years with the Samsung windows phones I owned.

I'm thinking that the only two companies that will convince me to use my upgrade this year are either Nokia themselves or Apple. And a 5s wouldn't cut it, and IOS needs a thorough, complete overhaul which I don't think apple will ever commit to. I haven't been this sure of a phone purchase since I picked up the iPhone 3g four years ago, I'm really loving the 920, though its not perfect. A thinner, lighter phone would be a good start.

I think we finally are at a stage of diminishing returns where all the classic ways to differentiate won't make a difference drastic enough for you to switch.

But I'll gladly welcome all surprises.

Blackhead

Redarse

What about the motorola X or nexus line?

I think we finally are at a stage of diminishing returns where all the classic ways to differentiate won't make a difference drastic enough for you to switch.

But I'll gladly welcome all surprises.
I still want a flaghship 3" phone. And someone has to get the dual screen foldable phone right... eventually...

I own an HP Touchpad. How many devices with webOS do you own?
Dude... I own three webOS phones, they all cost me more that $100 and I don't run some shitty Android port on them. If you've actually been a webOS thread you would know this. The Windows phone thread isn't the place for this trolling.

nickcv

The obvious troubleshooting steps would be to select a different wallpaper app, then come back and try the weather app and see if it works. If not, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

My issue with the app is that the live tile has never worked for me.. very annoying. I have reinstalled twice...

i tried switching the amazing weather background with the bing one and then return to it, but it didn't work

i just uninstalled the app to try to install it again, but when i go into the store it's asking me to buy it once again.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What about the motorola X or nexus line?

I own a Nexus One, but the Nexus line has let me down with the past few iterations. I was very close to getting an N4 last year, and I may still get one as a backup phone once I can sell off my N1 and L900. Not having expandable storage is bizarre when you're only offering 8 and 16gb variants, and the crappy cameras are not something I'll ever put up with on a smartphone ever again. The Motorola rumors are interesting, but only if they keep the phone stock android and don't skimp on storage space and camera.

I had a similar problem with disappearing music on my 920, but a hard reset fixed it.

The "other" storage bug went away too after that.
Doesn't a hard reset scrub the phone back to factory settings?

edit: I also have a hunch that the music issue I'm having only effects the music on the SD. Which doesn't thrill me since the internal space isn't enough and I've just bought a good 32gB card.

hadareud

The Translator
Doesn't a hard reset scrub the phone back to factory settings?

edit: I also have a hunch that the music issue I'm having only effects the music on the SD. Which doesn't thrill me since the internal space isn't enough and I'VE just bought a good 32gB card.

Yes it's a factory reset.

Not a big issue if you have backup turned on. All you need to do is re-arrange your live tiles and log into all your accounts again. And re-sync your music, of course.

I don't think it's an SD issue, the 920 doesn't have an SD slot. The music just kept disappearing and most annoyingly, when I tried to download the songs it told me that they were already in my collection.

Anyway, the factory reset did cause problems because it got stuck on the gears screen (making me think I'd fucked up my phone), but after I sorted that out it only took me about 20 minutes to have everything back to the way it was before.

Yes it's a factory reset.

Not a big issue if you have backup turned on. All you need to do is re-arrange your live tiles and log into all your accounts again. And re-sync your music, of course.

I don't think it's an SD issue, the 920 doesn't have an SD slot. The music just kept disappearing and most annoyingly, when I tried to download the songs it told me that they were already in my collection.

Anyway, the factory reset did cause problems because it got stuck on the gears screen (making me think I'd fucked up my phone), but after I sorted that out it only took me about 20 minutes to have everything back to the way it was before.
And no music issues since?

Remember that a hard reset erases your game saves and app settings, so that's something to keep in mind as well.
It's a giant pain in the ass to even have to do it in order to fix the music player. Xbox music is a joke. Windows Phone 8 is a joke rather.

I want to love it. But the more I use it the more I dislike it. I honestly wouldn't recommend it to anybody at this point.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
^Xbox music sucks. Windows Phone went from best to tied for worst in music between 7.5 and 8. What a shame.

The HTC One disappoints as well. Love the design, but don't trust HTC hardware, add to that a mediocre camera and bad battery life without wireless charging....nope. Lets see what the S4 brings to the table.

Have had my Lumia 920 since release, and while the phone itself is pretty great, I'm getting really tired of the app selection. Everything is available "on the apple app store or android through google play," but jack is available for my phone.

What is MS doing to stimulate development on their devices?

thirty

Banned
Have had my Lumia 920 since release, and while the phone itself is pretty great, I'm getting really tired of the app selection. Everything is available "on the apple app store or android through google play," but jack is available for my phone.

MS isn't doing shit. Nokia though is releasing a steady flow of apps.

Honestly at this point I think if Microsoft just left Nokia in charge of OS development it'd be a lot better.
I think they are doing that already. Nokia already have storage space fix in their new firmware, now they just need to make better sync app. I have been just using Nokia music and keep few music on my phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Lets not go crazy now, Nokia were the guys behind Symbian, lets keep them away from the core OS and design. But MS should probably fire their developer relation team and just let Nokia handle apps and services.

Also, scrap the surface phone and use the money to beef up the core OS team so we get updates more quickly and they can unify the w8 and wp8 app structures so we can get more apps that way.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Lets not go crazy now, Nokia were the guys behind Symbian, lets keep them away from the core OS and design. But MS should probably fire their developer relation team and just let Nokia handle apps and services.

Also, scrap the surface phone and use the money to beef up the core OS team so we get updates more quickly and they can unify the w8 and wp8 app structures so we can get more apps that way.

Yeah, I agree with this.

Pretty much. All in all Microsoft isn't doing too bad of a job. They're just slow. IMHO, it seems like they just need more developers hired to be working on the OS.

Helping developers see how easy it is to make a W8 app into a WP8 app and vice versa. But with all of the FUD about W8, many devs are even hesitant to develop there, which is nuts considering how many PC's with W8 will undoubtedly be sold this year. But, when it works, FUD is quite powerful.

What else can they do? Devs are hesitant to invest in it because of the relatively small size of the userbase, but the userbase's growth is stunted by a lack of developers making apps for it (or at least the perception of that). Chicken, egg, yadda yadda.

I'm still on a WP7.5 device (Verizon Trophy) and, in all honesty, I still don't have a ton of complaints. Maybe I'm not as demanding as some, but I still think my phone is pretty cool. Of course I'm holding out for a high end Nokia on Verizon. Hopefully some of these WP8 issues will be ironed by then.

Helping developers see how easy it is to make a W8 app into a WP8 app and vice versa. But with all of the FUD about W8, many devs are even hesitant to develop there, which is nuts considering how many PC's with W8 will undoubtedly be sold this year. But, when it works, FUD is quite powerful.

Although I'm bias, I found it incredibly easier to develop a more featured app in less time on WP8 than with android. For WP7, I whipped together a small app (with less functionality because of blutooth) in a weekend, while it took about 2 school-weeks to develop a slightly more featured android equivalent.

Then in about 2 weeks, one of which was on vacation with no internet access, I developed an app with about 1000x more functionality for WP8. Cloud storage, etc etc. Still buggy to all hell, but good enough for my personal use until I stop being lazy and polish it up.

But again, I'm bias.

Be careful what you wish for, I don't think we can take another OS reset. It would be pretty crappy if they push Surface Phone using Windows RT and abandoned Windows Phone 8.

Man I was actually excited about a couple minor apps that came out for WP8, Coffee Bean and MapMyRun, plus some calendar app alternative, but after installing the three my battery immediately went to shit. I have no idea if those apps have anything to do with the increased battery drain, but after returning three 920s and finally getting a fourth with good battery life, I'm not taking any chances. Deleted the fuck out of those apps, hopefully battery life goes back to normal. I didn't want to go jogging anyway.

Man I was actually excited about a couple minor apps that came out for WP8, Coffee Bean and MapMyRun, plus some calendar app alternative, but after installing the three my battery immediately went to shit. I have no idea if those apps have anything to do with the increased battery drain, but after returning three 920s and finally getting a fourth with good battery life, I'm not taking any chances. Deleted the fuck out of those apps, hopefully battery life goes back to normal. I didn't want to go jogging anyway.

Its probably the run app. It will keep GPS on in the background. If you're going to use it, make sure to turn off continuous tracking after you're done.

frontieruk

What else can they do? Devs are hesitant to invest in it because of the relatively small size of the userbase, but the userbase's growth is stunted by a lack of developers making apps for it (or at least the perception of that). Chicken, egg, yadda yadda.

I'm still on a WP7.5 device (Verizon Trophy) and, in all honesty, I still don't have a ton of complaints. Maybe I'm not as demanding as some, but I still think my phone is pretty cool. Of course I'm holding out for a high end Nokia on Verizon. Hopefully some of these WP8 issues will be ironed by then.

Yeah Devs have to remember every major windows reboot has been hated on since XP, I think 98 was the only OS that was warmly received with a reskin, having played with a few i3 Win8 tabs now I'm seriously considering adding an I5/7 tab to my collection it's just so buttery smooth RT feels seriously gimped in relation.

Pretty much this. I went back to an iPhone 5 for about two weeks whilst I got a cracked screen replaced and realized I had moved on completely. This weekend I was playing with a friends SG3 and remembered why I hate android. All I really want is a pure view Nokia 41 mp with the oversampling tech (oh and Instagram).

Even though Nokia is synonymous with Symbian they also developed Meego/Maemo which was (is) still the most advanced operating system I have used. Integrated EVERYTHING, Skype, sip, Facebook, all the chat protocols, connected to all the social networks. It was way before its time. If MS gave wp8 to Nokia I wouldn't complain.

kharma45

Think I'll be dumping the Lumia 620 first chance I get.

Once again my music just inexplicably fucks up. I get on the bus, prepare to listen to all the music I synced to the phone last night, but the phone has frozen on the lock screen. Okay, pull the battery, restart, go in to music, and wouldn't you know... The phone only detects two artists. One of which displays two albums and the other just one. Of course, all the music is viewable as individual tracks. Buy what fucking use is that to me?

Seriously, how hard is it to produce a basic, functional media player? I've now resynced this device I don't know how many times. And it always, for whatever various reasons, manages to fuck all the data up.

Tempted to do the same, pretty let down by mine. I know I came from the 920 to it but it just feels like a bit of a dud mine :\ might do what I thought I'd never do and go back to Android but having only 16GB of storage on the N4 is a serious ballache.

Loving everything about my lumia 920 but the app selection. Even the much-ballyhooed Nokia apps are disappointing in that the Navigation and Maps apps are far inferior to Google's (I had an Atrix before this)- so much so that I may switch to an S4, as I travel a lot and use the Maps/Navigation feature often.

Loving everything about my lumia 920 but the app selection. Even the much-ballyhooed Nokia apps are disappointing in that the Navigation and Maps apps are far inferior to Google's (I had an Atrix before this)- so much so that I may switch to an S4, as I travel a lot and use the Maps/Navigation feature often.
I think this is the first time I hear someone complaining about Nokia Navigation on the Lumia.

Could you be a bit more specific?

Tempted to do the same, pretty let down by mine. I know I came from the 920 to it but it just feels like a bit of a dud mine :\ might do what I thought I'd never do and go back to Android but having only 16GB of storage on the N4 is a serious ballache.
This has been my first experience with a WP. At first all was great, but the more I use it the more tedious it gets.

Some general thoughts...

I love the WP8 aesthetic. There's no part of me that prefers the look of iOS or Android. My iOS and Android using friends have commented on it too. That said, WP8 is miles behind those other platforms in terms of everyday usability.

The hardware, Nokia's at least, is something else I love. I'm now at the point that I would happily move back to Android or maybe even jump ship to iOS if I could get a device for cheap. But that has nothing to do with the 620 I'm using. I love the look and feel of this little device. Sure, there's the multi-touch issue, but I'd be lying if I said I had noticed it before, or even after, it was brought to light.

The lack of apps doesn't bother me personally. I was never one for installing loads of apps on my previous phones so I can't say I'm let down by that.

So generally positive points aside...

The OS is just not there yet. I appreciate that WP8 itself is only a matter of months old, so I'm an earlier adopter and can expect some bugs and issues that will eventually be ironed out (hopefully). However, I'm continually informed that there are aspects of WP8 that have managed to get substantially worse since WP7. How can that be?

I don't need to mention the Xbox Music issue because my complaints are already well documented. Needless to say, the app doesn't come close to functioning like a regular media player.

The OS doesn't feel particularly snappy. That could be because of my 620's lesser hardware. But I was lead to believe that it would handle everything fairly easily. It doesn't struggle whilst playing games for example, but jumping between apps it's quite sluggish. I'm starting to get sick of the "resuming..." screen, whilst iOS and good Android devices can just jump between processes with ease.

All in all, my feelings on the WP8 are cut right down the middle. There's lots of good but plenty of bad. And there are enough annoyances that at this point that I wouldn't recommend the platform.

And a quick thought on Microsoft. It amazes me that we have people in this thread discussing how MS should be throwing more man power at WP8. Amazes me because this is MS, the biggest tech company around. It would probably be nothing for this company to through a bunch of good guys in to the development of this platform. But seemingly they don't, and I can't get my head round why.

With the Easter break coming up I'm considering sitting down and having a look at the WP8 Dev Center and SDK see if I can't throw together a few app ideas that could possibly help me with some of my gripes. I feel like I may have enough programming experience at this point to give it a go. Plus, it might be fun.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I like your thinking. A lot of people gripe, but you're actually talking about doing something dev wise to address your issues.

In terms of multitasking, it may be the hardware. Wp8 isn't the best at it anyway, but I don't feel sluggishness when switching between apps, although I do get the resume screen depending on the app.

Xbox Music is simply inexcusable, given that Zune (its predecessor) was a great solution. All it needed was phone backup, better international support, and app syncing to be absolutely perfect. Instead, they took giant steps backwards. Trust me, the folks that went from 7.5 to 8 are all thoroughly stunned by the transition.

I think this is the first time I hear someone complaining about Nokia Navigation on the Lumia.

Could you be a bit more specific?

Well, some problems are related to its database of locations in its Map app. It has sent me to the wrong spot more than once, and the map search results are sometimes wacky.

The voice navigation is really screwy - it will tell me to "keep left and take the exit" when in fact I need to stay on the highway, and it is often too far behind, telling me to turn only after I've passed my turn.

It doesn't have traffic data and thus doesn't compensate for traffic. Its ETA function seems to be broken. It doesn't have good route optimization (because of no traffic data, lack of knowledge about traffic lights, speed limits, stop signs, etc. in many places). It takes longer to recalculate routes. It doesn't offer a list of alternate routes.

It doesn't have voice search, which I found to be handy while driving, especially since Google's app does a pretty good job with recognition.

Ragus

Banned
Played with Note II yesterday. I liked it a lot. I'm on the edge of selling my 920. I really like the phone itself, but there are so many little things that annoy me on WP8, that I sometimes feel it's time to say:

Stop.

There isn't one decent web browser that would suit me, volume control is as big joke as it was during launch, waiting for 5 seconds to launch Skype while being in multitasking is terrible, apps still aren't here, I can't email photos in their full size, no option to turn off vibration while pressing any of 3 buttons.

I just don't feel I have control over this phone. A real shame, as I was so excited to buy myself a flagship WP8.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I seem to recall there being an app that cleaned out your "Other" tab in used space (Mine's sitting at a beautiful 4.8gB used, which sucks). Did I dream that or is there an app that helps me delete stuff?

Using a Lumia 920 if that matters.

Edit: Will Nokia's new Storage utility let me clean cache files? :O

venne

I think they are doing that already. Nokia already have storage space fix in their new firmware, now they just need to make better sync app. I have been just using Nokia music and keep few music on my phone.

I wish Nokia would make Nokia Suite compatible with the Lumia line.

venne

And a quick thought on Microsoft. It amazes me that we have people in this thread discussing how MS should be throwing more man power at WP8. Amazes me because this is MS, the biggest tech company around. It would probably be nothing for this company to through a bunch of good guys in to the development of this platform. But seemingly they don't, and I can't get my head round why.

I am guessing that WP8 is yet another stopgap measure while they focus on making RT the new phone OS.

At least Windows Phone 8 users should get the upgrade this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom