• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good god Microsoft support are useless.

So I found that my phone was deleting the music information if the phone was so much as turned off and on again. So, deciding that's unacceptable I contacted support. The person on the chat just copied and pasted a whole bunch of drivel about WMP and to let it update song information automatically (setting I have turned off on purpose).

I explained that all the meta data was fine etc but there was absolutely no useful information coming back.

Seriously hacked off.
LLShC.gif

I think you must have defective phone because I don't think I ever have music deleted on me. I am on 920 though so could be bad SD card if you are using phone with SD slot.

On another hand don't use that Chrono Calendar, it's the one eating up my battery and mess up my calendar.

I think you must have defective phone because I don't think I ever have music deleted on me. I am on 920 though so could be bad SD card if you are using phone with SD slot.

On another hand don't use that Chrono Calendar, it's the one eating up my battery and mess up my calendar.
Well... Last night was the first time that I had sat down and tried to reproduce the problem.

• So I can confirm that any instance of a reset (be it correctly turned off and back on or a battery pull) will result in loss of data.
  • The loss is only on Xbox Music's level, as files pulled back off the phone on to the computer after the fact have their meta data intact.
  • The loss isn't apparent immediately. Every time I reset, if I go straight in to Xbox Music the files will be there. Come back two minutes later, gone!
  • It also only effects files synced to the micro SD. Songs on the device remain intact.
  • Finally, this issue has persisted on 3 micro SDs, the latest being a brand new class 10 U1 card. Leading me to believe that it's not a faulty SD.

hadareud

The Translator
I just was thinking that with GDR2 rumoured for May, all the apps that are rumoured to come out around the same time (iPlayer, Instagram etc.) and the rumours that MS are starting a big push on Verizon in the US also around the same time, could we be in for a second "big" push for WP8 around that time?

It would make sense, I think. WP8 has settled into the market ok, seemingly growing at a solid if not spectecular rate (as someone at the MS of old might have put it). Now would be a good time to have an event announcing a few new features and apps followed by another marketing push to generate a little more buzz for the platform. There will be a few new handsets (928, that rumoured phone by HTC) too.

If that's their plan it would make sense that they're keeping relatively quiet until then.

Or maybe, this is all just wishful thinking or/and I'm full of shit. Or maybe it's true and I still am.

Sordid

My Lumia 620 was returned after a repair today and... it still won't turn on. Constantly flashes the battery charging symbol at me when plugged in and sits there lifeless when it's unplugged no matter which buttons I hold :(

I popped the 620 battery into my partners old Lumia 710 (well I held it in, it's too small) and it powered that on straight away and reported a full battery so I have no idea what's going on. I'll leave it plugged in all day and if it doesn't fire up it's back to Nokia again I guess :/

Edit: I think my battery is the issue, if I push my battery up or place a piece of card underneath the battery where the connectors are the phone works fine. Pretty weird but at least it's working!

PG2G

http://www.wpcentral.com/galactic-reign-windows-8-impressions

Galactic Reign is available on Windows 8 and Windows Phone, will I have to buy it multiple times to play on both devices?

Buy once play anywhere. If you've already purchased Galactic Reign on another device, there is no need to purchase it again! You can download the trial and still have access to the additional content. Purchasing on other platforms will only unlock the ability to gain achievements on that platform.

It's a first step, obviously something that is in the game logic (as opposed to the store) though. I'd assume its checking if your Live ID has ever played the game or something like that.

JaggedSac

Bought it. Fairly neat. Battle vids are disappointing though. Needs to be clearer what is happening. Hard to improve strategy when I cannot see what are the weak points.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Bought it. Fairly neat. Battle vids are disappointing though. Needs to be clearer what is happening. Hard to improve strategy when I cannot see what are the weak points.

I thought it was pretty cool. Handy that you can pause it and see what the enemy's load out is.

Through all the doom and gloom in this thread, I think things are still heading in the right direction.

MCD

I thought it was pretty cool. Handy that you can pause it and see what the enemy's load out is.

Through all the doom and gloom in this thread, I think things are still heading in the right direction.

Which is why I shat up my trap.

Happy to see good things, little may they be.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Which is why I shat up my trap.

Happy to see good things, little may they be.

Good you made a thread for the game. It would nice to see this game make some press, especially on gaming podcasts since they generally only mention iOS games (Skulls was an exception).

MCD

Good you made a thread for the game. It would nice to see this game make some press, especially on gaming podcasts since they generally only mention iOS games (Skulls was an exception).

Barely any fuck was given there but I am trying!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Barely any fuck was given there but I am trying!

Yeah, I was going to make a thread as well. Didn't take long for someone to troll.

I bought it and I'm currently trying it on the phone and Win8. Notifications seem to work great. My only complaint is that when you buy one version you still get notifications to buy the full version on the other platform. Syncing of achievements would nice. Got to complain about something I guess :)

It's a defective phone.

Return it.
Nope I'm fairly certain it's an issue with the software and I think I've found the problem.

When I first got the phone I had ordered a new Miscro SD. I was waiting on it to arrive and in the meantime had decided to sync a few songs to the internal space to tie me over.

I wasn't happy with the drag and drop option as when it came to deleting files the odd one would stay on the device. Somebody had mentioned their similar experience and had suggested deleting the troublesome files manually from the Xbox Music app. Which worked, but was a bit frustrating.

I also tried the other various syncing options, WP8 Metro and Desktop app. WP8 Metro app, whilst functional, seems to interpret some of my library incorrectly. So I gave WP8 Desktop app a go. It just wouldn't work and produced the same issues many people in here had come across.

Somebody then suggested they had success with WMP. WMP seemed to be the best option as it worked and didn't have library issues. All the tracks meta data were intact.

So when I got the Micro SD I just continued to use WMP. That's when the the mass disappearance of music started. I tested and fiddled prior to my previous post and concluded it wasn't the Micro SDs.

And after trying everything today. It turns out it's WMP...

If I drag and drop files (which is what I will have to do) they remain fine whether in the phone's internal space or the Micro SD. If I use WP8 Metro on either it works also (although the library on the computer is not correct). However if I sync to the phone's internal memory via WMP and then sync to the Micros SD via WMP and restart, the songs on the SD, as I discovered, disappear while the files on the internal space stay intact. Obviously I'm not sure why this is the case, but I've now tested every which way and it's consistent. I'll now stick to drag and drop. Whilst testing I had run in to the issues I spoke about above, some tracks needing to be manually deleted from the phone. But that's a small price to pay in order to have the music stay on the Micro SD.

Anyway, now that its sorted there's still a point to be made. Microsoft have four different ways to put music on your device and none of them are the complete package. Every one has its own unique errors and quirks. And some, WP8 desktop, are outright terrible.

NeOak

Anyway, now that its sorted there's still a point to be made. Microsoft have four different ways to put music on your device and none of them are the complete package. Every one has its own unique errors and quirks. And some, WP8 desktop, are outright terrible.

This. I haven't bothered to move more music to my 920 because of the awful process.

Well... Last night was the first time that I had sat down and tried to reproduce the problem.

• So I can confirm that any instance of a reset (be it correctly turned off and back on or a battery pull) will result in loss of data.
  • The loss is only on Xbox Music's level, as files pulled back off the phone on to the computer after the fact have their meta data intact.
  • The loss isn't apparent immediately. Every time I reset, if I go straight in to Xbox Music the files will be there. Come back two minutes later, gone!
  • It also only effects files synced to the micro SD. Songs on the device remain intact.
  • Finally, this issue has persisted on 3 micro SDs, the latest being a brand new class 10 U1 card. Leading me to believe that it's not a faulty SD.
I'm with antique, its probably a defective phone. Return it for a new one

It's really a shame, because once you have everything on the phone and the meta data sorted out I like it as a music player. It's just an unbelievably frustrating process to get it to that point. The four different methods of moving music to the phone are all really bad. Also, don't forget that you have to download third party software like MPAtool to fix the situation too.

Were all of these problems completely absent with Zune on WP7? As a recent WP convert I'm curious about how it used to be.

I used to be an iPhone user and I also refuse to install iTunes on my computer, so in the end I'm in a better place, but at the same time it could be so much better.

Oh also on a more positive note the Nokia gel case protected my phone from a fall at chest height onto a tile bathroom floor with no visible damage. Not bad!

Discusguy

Think its pretty great app. I didn't sync it to my live account / calendar. My battery hasn't been any different. Chrono pretty much replaced the standard one on my L920

Troll

Banned
Think its pretty great app. I didn't sync it to my live account / calendar. My battery hasn't been any different. Chrono pretty much replaced the standard one on my L920

I've linked my accounts and still no problems with battery life outside of the extremely average hours of use you get from the 920 anyways.

I am assuming that an app has access to all the audio on the device. Assuming there is not going anything wrong with the syncing it might be possible someone makes an app to do the music, and maybe also podcasts decently.

I just noticed the conspiracy theory about Samsung sabotaging Windows Phone on WP Central and noticed that the Windows flag in their logo gives off a sinking ship vibe.

woGq2TK.png

So funny.

Also, a poll at the end of such an article seems very unprofessional.

Microsoft is one of the largest corporations in the world, not some beta male eternally friendzoned by Samsung hoping to get into their Galaxy panties. If Microsoft isn't getting what they want back from Samsung in exchange for Microsoft developer resources, they will stop giving those resources.

Microsoft is one of the largest corporations in the world, not some beta male eternally friendzoned by Samsung hoping to get into their Galaxy panties. If Microsoft isn't getting what they want back from Samsung in exchange for Microsoft developer resources, they will stop giving those resources.

This is the mobile market. Microsoft needs Samsung more than Samsung needs Microsoft. Samsung didn't release the Ativ S in the US (the first Windows Phone 8 device shown), nor did they bother with their Windows RT device in that market and most likely EOL'd the Ativ Tab in Europe. Samsung even openly criticized Windows 8, saying that it's no better than Vista.

I love it also, but it does not properly sync with Live if you have series appointment so I have to sync it also to phone calendar and since then my battery just took a nose dive.

it's kinda useless to me if I can't sync it to Live calendars. I do love it and use it for about a week. (interface could use some works).

Nope I'm fairly certain it's an issue with the software and I think I've found the problem.

Somebody then suggested they had success with WMP. WMP seemed to be the best option as it worked and didn't have library issues. All the tracks meta data were intact.

So when I got the Micro SD I just continued to use WMP. That's when the the mass disappearance of music started. I tested and fiddled prior to my previous post and concluded it wasn't the Micro SDs.

And after trying everything today. It turns out it's WMP...

If I drag and drop files (which is what I will have to do) they remain fine whether in the phone's internal space or the Micro SD. If I use WP8 Metro on either it works also (although the library on the computer is not correct). However if I sync to the phone's internal memory via WMP and then sync to the Micros SD via WMP and restart, the songs on the SD, as I discovered, disappear while the files on the internal space stay intact. Obviously I'm not sure why this is the case, but I've now tested every which way and it's consistent. I'll now stick to drag and drop. Whilst testing I had run in to the issues I spoke about above, some tracks needing to be manually deleted from the phone. But that's a small price to pay in order to have the music stay on the Micro SD.

That seems to be your problem right there. WMP seems to broke with SD sync. I am not sure I understand what you are doing though, why do you sync to internal memory then to the SD card? Why not have all music on SD? I think that could be the issue, the sync software just doesn't play nice with sync to same device to two locations.

i was one of the person suggest WMP, because that is the only sync software I found to not fuck up my music and keep my stuff in tact. Another potential problem is using multiple software to sync, ie Windows Phone 8 Metro, desktop and WMP I found that completely mess up the phone contents. I strictly just use WMP to manage my phone via drag and drop as I find both Windows Phone Metro and Windows 8 desktop app to be just pile of shit. Seriously Microsoft, I can not phantom how you even get into this mess.

Also as a side note, the grass is not that much greener on the Android side. Google music mess up my collection also and not to mention it upload all my album cover and blow it up to ugly mess of low res pixelated crap. I just don't care enough at this point to bother with it and if it play musics I am game. Same with Windows Phone (though lately I just stick with streaming from Nokia music).

I hope you fix your issue ... I get frustrate just reading about it.

I just noticed the conspiracy theory about Samsung sabotaging Windows Phone on WP Central and noticed that the Windows flag in their logo gives off a sinking ship vibe.

woGq2TK.png

So funny.

Also, a poll at the end of such an article seems very unprofessional.

Nah, Samsung is just busy innovating using other people research, and idea. Too bad that new HTC The One seems to be another dud. Great looking phone, but again bad battery and camera along with their Sense UI probably going to doom them.

TTOOLL

Ok, nobody answered so I decided to try Toshl among other apps; It's by far the best financial app. The website is very good and it syncs with the app. The app is free, beautiful and easy to use. However, the pro account is 1.99$ a month. In the end I think it's worth.

Troll

Banned
So, I thought it was just some third party API bullshit. NOPE! They're just killing their best service imo. lol but really I'm crying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom