• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Have you seen the Yellow? Crushes the Red IMO!

I saw it at my local at&t store, the web exclusive must've expired. Its nice, but it depends too much on lighting. So, in the store it looks too dull, in natural light it looks much better. The red is consistently awesome looking.

mostly off topic, but we were discussing bad design in software and I have an example from the gaming side. I'm not much of a gamer now since I'm working on a phd, but I decided just now to play little big planet with my daughter. 13 updates, ranging in size from 20mb to 180mb. Who the hell thought this was a good idea? Now my daughter is in her room and I'm crying while it downloads, then installs, update 6 of 13. Way to ruin a magic moment Sony!! :'(

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I saw it at my local at&t store, the web exclusive must've expired. Its nice, but it depends too much on lighting. So, in the store it looks too dull, in natural light it looks much better. The red is consistently awesome looking.

mostly off topic, but we were discussing bad design in software and I have an example from the gaming side. I'm not much of a gamer now since I'm working on a phd, but I decided just now to play little big planet with my daughter. 13 updates, ranging in size from 20mb to 180mb. Who the hell thought this was a good idea? Now my daughter is in her room and I'm crying while it downloads, then installs, update 6 of 13. Way to ruin a magic moment Sony!! :'(

PS3 system and game updates are the worst.

Don't worry, that's nothing a little hardware upgrade at the end of the year can't fix.

Few months ago I tried it play some GT5 after a year or so. It took me 2-3 hours until I was able to play the game, incl. PS3 system updates.

Don't worry, that's nothing a little hardware upgrade at the end of the year can't fix.

Few months ago I tried it play some GT5 after a year or so. It took me 2-3 hours until I was able to play the game, incl. PS3 system updates.

MGS4 was fun. I saw the Big Trophy update, cried, and went to sleep.

hankster

Black. Nokia's grey was my favorite color they made for the phone, but AT&T never picked up that color.

Also, matte finish for life.
I have a white 920. Picked up the grey Nokia case from Amazon for $11. Excellent fit. My friends think I have the grey phone.

Yes, one of the more frustrating thing about PS3, along with the controller and lack of IR for my remote are some of the reasons I am still on Xbox. I have similar story, my in-law and his kids came over to visit. I want to show them how awesome Eyes of Judgement is (since we all love card game). After 2 hours of updating, we gave up. Pro-Sony GAF, said it's because I don't use enough of PS3 and it's my own fault but the other day after 12 hours shift I just want to watch some TV before heading to bed turn on PS3 and HULU and was hit with update .. which would have been fine if it weren't for the fact that I just updated the system just few weeks ago.

Izick

Obviously a lot of you feel the same way, but I just had an interesting conversation about the Lumia's design. My buddy said he absolutely hated the design and said he said it looked awful, just from a design standpoint. I really don't get it; he has an HTC One, which is a great phone, don't get me wrong, but the Lumia's are still the best looking phones out there right now.

lumia920headerimgwmed2.jpg

It's just so simple, clean and colorful. I also love the WP8 UI, which he said he hated as well, but that was due to customization stuff. For me, I want something that's more customizable than what ios seems to have, but I'd rather have a clean, interesting design like the Modern stuff found in Windows. I just really love that look too.

derFeef

Some like the "high tech" looks better. I think they are boring and even the 8X is more diverse than those Samsung clophones

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Obviously a lot of you feel the same way, but I just had an interesting conversation about the Lumia's design. My buddy said he absolutely hated the design and said he said it looked awful, just from a design standpoint. I really don't get it; he has an HTC One, which is a great phone, don't get me wrong, but the Lumia's are still the best looking phones out there right now.

lumia920headerimgwmed2.jpg

It's just so simple, clean and colorful. I also love the WP8 UI, which he said he hated as well, but that was due to customization stuff. For me, I want something that's more customizable than what ios seems to have, but I'd rather have a clean, interesting design like the Modern stuff found in Windows. I just really love that look too.
It is too thick. The worst looking new lumia imo.

MarkusRJR

So why does everyone hate Xbox Music on Windows Phone 8? Everyone keeps trashing on it in this thread but no one ever explains why.

hadareud

The Translator
So why does everyone hate Xbox Music on Windows Phone 8? Everyone keeps trashing on it in this thread but no one ever explains why.

Because it used to be better.

I don't know about WP7, but I had a Zune HD and the syncing was bloody fantastic. It worked, it was easy and fast, and again, it worked.

The syncing experience on WP8 is really very poor. The software is shit (both the W7 program and the W8 app) and there's several instances of where it doesn't work at all (big issues with syncing DRM'd music, I still can't get that to work and have to download again on the phone itself, which is a pain in the arse if you have used your Zune pass quite a bit over the years like I have).

Then there's little niggles with album art and track information that get screwed up as well with the syncing.

Also, you have to use a separate app if you want to listen to podcasts because the official implementation is dreadful.

In essence, they moved away from something that was perfectly good to something that not only wasn't finished, but simply doesn't work at all in some (I'd guess quite a few) cases. They removed a positive and added a negative.

It's not anywhere near as shit as the music experience on Android of course, but that's not the point.

hadareud

The Translator
Really?

That's a bit surprising. Catalogue wise I can't complain too much.

There's a few things that are only available to buy, which is annoying, but I didn't find the catalogue smaller than Spotify.

What kind of weird music are you listening to?

It's all Austro-Pop, isn't it?

MarkusRJR

for me its the catalogue. There is just not enough of the stuff available I can listen to with Spotify.
The catalog on the Zune Marketplace was pretty awesome. Is it much different on Xbox Music or do you just have some specific tastes?

If it's only the sync stuff does that mean if someone only just downloads music off the phone's store (like I did when I had a WP7 device) it should be a similar situation to WP7's music app? Or are there other glitches and bugs that make it worse?

derFeef

Really?

That's a bit surprising. Catalogue wise I can't complain too much.

There's a few things that are only available to buy, which is annoying, but I didn't find the catalogue smaller than Spotify.

What kind of weird music are you listening to?

It's all Austro-Pop, isn't it?
Yeah! Reinhard Fendrich! ;-)
Its weird electro, post-rock and chiptunes stuff mostly that I cant find but want to have available if I am in the mood for it.

hadareud

The Translator
He really was. Shame that he died so young.

It's kind of funny that there's 2 Austrians in this thread. It's not a particularly Microsoft friendly place.

The Germans you'd expect. They are everywhere anyway ;)

hadareud

The Translator
I've lived in the UK for over 10 years, I'm Austrian by birth and my girlfriend is Dutch.

When it comes to stereotypes about Germans, I am in an enviable position (particularly since I made up several of them in the first place ;)).

I liked the one last week during the second CL semi final when people were tweeting that the first Germans had put down their towels at Wembley.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
XBox Music has been working pretty smooth for me lately. Haven't had any DRM issues with the stuff I synced. I have been deleting my Zune downloads and replacing them with XBox Music. Not sure if it does anything different though.

Also, you have to use a separate app if you want to listen to podcasts because the official implementation is dreadful.

I'm curious about this. Are you from somewhere other than the US? I'd like to know the qualms about the podcasts section--there've been no differences/complaints/regressions from wp7/.5 that I've noticed.

hadareud

The Translator
No, UK.

There's no way to get podcasts other than downloading on iTunes. And of course, the album art will not be imported that way.

I long for the good old days where you'd just plug in your phone (or rather Zune HD) and everything would sync automatically.

I want Zune back :(

No, UK.

There's no way to get podcasts other than downloading on iTunes. And of course, the album art will not be imported that way.

I long for the good old days where you'd just plug in your phone (or rather Zune HD) and everything would sync automatically.

I want Zune back :(

That's a darn shame.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Seems pretty smooth so far. Kinda miss the banner image at the top. Although occasionally it would switch to a pic I didn't like.

I personally dont mind it, I do have a subscription for Xbox Music and I do use it occasionally, although my main gripe is availability of music from other languages and whatnot.

For example, I listen to alot of Korean, Japanese, Chinese, German and Swedish music which is extremely rare on Xbox Music. I also listen to Trance and Techno which has a poor catalog on Xbox Music as well.

In general though I dont mind it, I just wish it had more variety.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Seems to work quite well so far. Still has some hints of metro. Glad that the tile got rid of that light coloured bar at the bottom as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom