• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

It kind of throws me that the back button doesn't work to remove the slide in menus, I'm used to closing keyboards and other pop ups like that. Not really consistent with other WP apps.

I guess that's why this is beta though, to collect feedback.

hadareud

The Translator
I quite like the new UI. The timeline is clearer, photos are higher res.

Also, it feels faster than the old app.

As for features, I really haven't a clue if there's anything new or not, because the extent I use facebook is restricted to reading people's posts (every now and then) and posting a picture every few months.

PG2G

Well, you can click on links within a post now, which was a maaajor annoyance. There is also sharing according to the blog post.

Think the design matches the iOS and Android mobile apps.

That's exactly what its doing. I've liked that so far that official windows phone apps always differentiate themselves from their IOS and android cousins. I hope this isn't the start of a trend.

Though all the new functionality is quite welcome. Conflicted :/

derFeef

I've lived in the UK for over 10 years, I'm Austrian by birth and my girlfriend is Dutch.

When it comes to stereotypes about Germans, I am in an enviable position (particularly since I made up several of them in the first place ;)).

I liked the one last week during the second CL semi final when people were tweeting that the first Germans had put down their towels at Wembley.

At least one Austrian here with good English. :)

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
downloaded the fb beta application, then realized I have no need for it. The people hub has everything I need.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Took me a couple tries, I kept getting an error, but I finally got the FB beta. Feels faster and navigation is better. The design is too ios/android for my taste, but it seems to run more smoothly and gives me a better timeline view. The black bar at the top needs to disappear, the menu bar at the top needs to be smaller or more metro like.

Not bad for a beta app.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Instagram is in May, no need to pretend otherwise. The only question is, why haven't they pushed the "publish" button yet, and the likely answer is that they may try to time it with another event......like a phone release? :p

Speaking of marketshares, I'm curious to know what Canada's is? I imagine WP is like 1%. I mostly see iPhones.

Going back to this, I was talking with smartphones in general with my father today (he has an Iphone) and we somehow got onto talking about maketshare between the devices, so we managed to find this which was from back in December

comscore11.png

Couldn't find anything more up to date than that though.

Lucius86

Banned
In the new FB beta app, if you go into looking at a pic, then rotate to landscape, I can see on the right the online friends feed. Lumia 920.

Submitted as feedback already.

No, UK.

There's no way to get podcasts other than downloading on iTunes. And of course, the album art will not be imported that way.

I long for the good old days where you'd just plug in your phone (or rather Zune HD) and everything would sync automatically.

I want Zune back :(

I just use BringCast, as it works brilliant on WP8. Downloads podcasts in seconds.

The new update is looking good too.

maeh2k

Why'd they kill the metro design?

This design seems quite holo-like.

One of the original designers of Windows Phone seems to disagree:
@arturot: Anyone upset or disturbed by the new Facebook beta app "not being Metro"? Ping me (... so I smack you).
@arturot: .@tomwarren Metro is not tiles, panoramas, pivots... that's a mistaken impression. The Metro design principles are still there in the new FB

NeOak

I like the design of the new fb app. It is metro like. Simple.

Just needs a few fixes and keeping the comments in chronological order.

Magni

re: the new FB app... WP7.8 am cry :(

I can't justify buying a new phone until the end of the year, hopefully it'll be backported by then. Come on MS, show us early adopters (of the previous gen!) some love!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I guess its easy for me to say cause I have a 920 and the app....but you're not missing out a whole lot if you don't have the beta app. Its buggy and rough around the edges.

I do hope they release the app to 7.x devices once its polished up, that would be awful if they don't. The problem is that its being developed as a 8.0 app, rather than them just porting up a 7.x app. They may not want to work on a separate version.

New FB app needs more Metro, but other than that, seems solid. Buggy now, but faster in some ways.

If it's similar conceptually and in design, it may make feature parity easier.

zedge

MCD

WMPU reporting that FB beta app supports 1080p.

Don't you hate it when Joe Belfiore and co have access to these new phones that we won't see till fall.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
On my Lumia 720. Somehow, the default Camera app that comes with the phone doesn't want to work. I cannot take pics by just pressing my camera button. I have to go to SmartShoot or any other camera apps for that. Any idea how to fix the Camera app ?

MCD

On my Lumia 720. Somehow, the default Camera app that comes with the phone doesn't want to work. I cannot take pics by just pressing my camera button. I have to go to SmartShoot or any other camera apps for that. Any idea how to fix the Camera app ?

Restore to factory or just send it back. Could be defective.

quaere

so yeah...

fku5Q7rm.png

that is not what i thought it would be
I recognize two of those apps from the icons, both of which I use daily...

White Noise for Windows Phone was last updated in April of 2011. It's missing two years of features from the Android and iOS versions, such as a timer.

Spotify for Windows Phone is completely missing the radio functionality.

I'm in this thread because I bought a Lumia 521 to play with (it's on its way now) but given the app situation...it could never be my primary and I have no idea how you guys live with it.

I recognize two of those apps from the icons, both of which I use daily...

White Noise for Windows Phone was last updated in April of 2011. It's missing two years of features from the Android and iOS versions, such as a timer.

Spotify for Windows Phone is completely missing the radio functionality.

I'm in this thread because I bought a Lumia 521 to play with (it's on its way now) but given the app situation...it could never be my primary and I have no idea how you guys live with it.

White Noise is missing the timer? but... wtf... is it also missing the ability to download additional sounds?

frontieruk

Thinking instead of pulling the trigger on a currently available phone, I'll just replace the battery in my zuneHD and see what the fall brings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom