• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dLMN8R

So the last few weeks I'm embarrassed at how much Jet Set Go I've played. Any other good games like this on the market? Something about these Diner Dash-style games are hugely addictive to me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So the last few weeks I'm embarrassed at how much Jet Set Go I've played. Any other good games like this on the market? Something about these Diner Dash-style games are hugely addictive to me.

Thought I would check it out and it is pretty fun.

So my phone battery (HTC Titan) died a few hours ago. Not surprised as I forgot to charge it last night, but now when I plug it in it gets stuck on the "HTC" splash page on start up. I've removed the battery multiple times and tried again with the same issue.

Halp?

So my phone battery (HTC Titan) died a few hours ago. Not surprised as I forgot to charge it last night, but now when I plug it in it gets stuck on the "HTC" splash page on start up. I've removed the battery multiple times and tried again with the same issue.

Halp?

Have you try leaving it plug in for a little while?

hadareud

The Translator
Full Kantar numbers:

WMvZ2Tw.png

Not bad at all.

hadareud

The Translator
Just had a quick look at last months numbers and it looks that Italy had over 13 % in February and Germany was slightly higher too.

So it's not all good news I suppose.

f0lken

I remember reading that here in Mexico it has 10%+ too, which makes sense because we love Nokia in here and I am often going to a lot of different places and have seen plenty of WP in the wild.

MarkusRJR

So after all this talk of deciding on a phone my dad ended up purchasing me a Blackberry Z10 as a late birthday gift. No instagram is gonna suck (not like it was any better in that regard on WP8), but getting a phone for free is pretty awesome.

EDIT: Holy shit at those iOS percentages in EU, especially Spain. I thought iPhones were popular over there. Also BBRY is pretty much dead. Well whatever, I stayed with WebOS till it died so I guess I'll do the same to BBRY. :p

Milchjon

Motherfucking Android.

I really thought iOS had a bigger share in Germany. It doesn't feel like 73% Android in public.

Also sad to see that WP is actually losing percentage over here.

hadareud

The Translator
I'm surprised to see just how dead Blackberry is everywhere.

I thought they were still close to WP, to see that they are hovering close to zero is coming sooner than I'd expected.

Can't see how they could possibly still be around at this time next year in their current form.

Is there a method to the way WP8 shows previews of pictures in the "Photos" live tile? I feel often it repeats the same old photos despite having taken dozens since but then it'll throw out a few newer ones or downloaded images.

hadareud

The Translator
Dat WP share creeping up slowly, if only MS would just release a damn Surface Phone and stimulate the market.

I don't think they will, not now anyway.

They should get to 10 % by the end of the year without it and once they are there WP should be seen as a viable platform.

Maybe with the next major OS upgrade early next year.

MarkusRJR

I thought they were still close to WP, to see that they are hovering close to zero is coming sooner than I'd expected.

Can't see how they could possibly still be around at this time next year in their current form.
I wouldn't be surprised if the only area BB is still ahead of WP are areas like Canada (because BBRY is a Canadian company and relatively known) and places like India/Africa (where they are still a symbol of status).

I think BB's drop will be as massive after this year though, considering prior to late Feb they didn't even release a flagship for 2 years.

hadareud

The Translator
They can't drop any further, really.

Early indications are not good on the Z10. They needed that to be a real success, but it's not.

Magni

That chart is really interesting. I remember during the earlier years of the latest console war (haven't checked into Sales-Age for years so I can't say as to how it is now), the difference between the Germanic and Latin countries was stark: brand loyalty is much stronger in Latin culture than in Germanic culture, and so you had the PS3 dominating the south while having very poor numbers in the Scandinavian countries (because of the leftover image of the PS2, "playstation" being used more often than "console" in many of these southern countries). Likewise the Southern countries were the last to switch from PES to FIFA years after FIFA had outclassed PES and was selling much more in the other European countries.

And yet the Spanish and Italian phone markets are completely different. I guess it's because there's the whole carrier/contract/subsidized phones thing that comes into play here that doesn't exist at all in the console space.

edit: Another thing from that chart, WP is doing better than BB in all these countries (except Japan), and the trends are better in all these countries as well. Unless the folks in Waterloo produce a miracle (or Redmond/Espoo do a fuckup of epic proportions), Windows Phone's place as the third system is stable. Heck at this point I could see Tizen or Bada or whatever getting fourth place more easily than I could see BB getting third back.

Walshicus

As far as phones in pockets, you've got to remember that these stats are for phones sold. Even if BB sold no phones from today you'd not see usage go down to zero for a long time.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes I know, there's still loads of Blackberry's around.

I don't think they can be rescued at this point. I suspect that one of Google, Apple or Microsoft will buy them eventually for their business know-how & their patents.

Nokia's mobile phone division could well have gone a very similar route to this if they hadn't put their money on WP.

hadareud

The Translator
Not only GAF. People have that idea in their head and it's hard to argue about something hypothetical.

Obviously we don't know how well they would have done on Android. I suspect that initial sales would probably have been better, but that in the long run they will do much better on WP.

I struggle to see how they could have kept up with the big players on Android. They simply do not have the marketing muscle of Samsung or even Sony.

And that's ignoring that without the money they received from Microsoft they'd have been in deep shit over the last 2 years. It's not like they had an easy time even without that money.

Nero3000

Apprantly i guy is doing a Lumia 928 AMA on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/1dbtxb/928_qa_with_i_shit_karma/

Dimensions: 5.24 x 2.71 x 0.44 inch, 5.7 oz

Nokia will brand 928 look as "Infinity Design"

Speaker is a pretty big deal and it has a digital amplifier too. Sounds pretty nice. Also, still no Bluetooth 4.0 or Gorilla Glass 3.

Marketing budget for 928 is going to be DROID like. $30 million from Nokia and $30 million from Microsoft.

They are targeting $99 with full retail price at $599, this one might yet change as they adjust things.

Same with May 9 launch date, which was the case before VNZ started having some minor issues with 928.

Instagram is finished and awaits clearance. Also Temple Run 2 and Joy Ride, which is stuck in XBL certification process.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is there a method to the way WP8 shows previews of pictures in the "Photos" live tile? I feel often it repeats the same old photos despite having taken dozens since but then it'll throw out a few newer ones or downloaded images.

Add photos to favorites and it will show you those pics on the tile.

Milchjon

I'm kinda sad that we won't get a definitive version of the Lumia 800/900/920 design. They're all flawed in one way or another. I want a slim, light, matte, cyan, 4.5" version of the 800, if possible with a greater display than the 920.

Edit: Interesting, so the 928 supposedly is thicker than the 920.

Edit 2:

[–]creamhackered[] 1 Punkt 3 Minuten zuvor
Who built Instagram? Microsoft, Nokia, or Facebook? Does it include a Lens feature?

Permalinkpocket
[–]I_SHIT_KARMALumia Max / 928 -1 Punkte 1 Minute zuvor
Microsoft, testing it requires special permissions that I do not have so not sure about lens thing.

Awwwwwwwwwwww yiss

:-(

hadareud

The Translator
Imagine the lulz if Instagram was coded by MS and had about the same features and performance as Facebook.

heh

All but confirmed.

Though I don't know how there could be any missing features. It's not like there are any features (apart from the main ones) in the first place.

Magni

Any Asha owners in here? I'm thinking of getting a 206 for 60€, since I'm studying in Chile starting this July until the end of the year and thought I should get a cheap durable phone for my stay there.

I'll buy a new WP for Christmas most likely (my Omnia will be three years old by then...), but I'd still want to avoid getting it stolen before then regardless. (Chilean-GAF, is phone-theft really as bad as I keep reading online?)

hadareud

The Translator
Was probably real.

Surprised about the thickness. I wonder if they went with a similar approach as HTC with the 8X with a curved back that's quite a bit thicker towards the middle but feels thinner overall.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Facebook performs reasonably well and instagram doesn't have a large feature set anyway, so I'm not sure how MS can screw it up.

Just release it already, its by far the most requested app from the folks I know who have made the jump to windows phone. I can't wait to send them a text with the link to the instagram app.

MarkusRJR

So after all this talk of deciding on a phone my dad ended up purchasing me a Blackberry Z10 as a late birthday gift. No instagram is gonna suck (not like it was any better in that regard on WP8), but getting a phone for free is pretty awesome.

EDIT: Holy shit at those iOS percentages in EU, especially Spain. I thought iPhones were popular over there. Also BBRY is pretty much dead. Well whatever, I stayed with WebOS till it died so I guess I'll do the same to BBRY. :p
lol so after showing my dad the Z10 he decided he wanted it (he's using a 3 year old BB Bold), and said he'd help me pay for something later. I guess I'm gonna help me pay for a high end phone. :eek:

BB10 actually looks really nice despite having not many compelling apps. Hmm...

Magni

I don't get the hate about the facebook app. I rarely use it though since people hub has me covered but from what I have seen it seems to work pretty reasonable. Have you tried the android app? Because that too is not rated well. It gets an astounding 3.6 on google play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5mYWNlYm9vay5rYXRhbmEiXQ..

I use Facebook daily on iOS (iPod) and it is leagues ahead of the WP (7.8, is it any better on 8?) app. I also used the Android app daily from July - February (on ICS/JB) and it was also better (after the native app update).

Messaging is also much better on those two platforms. Yes, it's nice being able to send a FB message from the native WP messaging app, but that's the only positive. It's lacking in functionality, and most messages never come in or come in late.

Tomcat

native messaging>>>>>>>everything else

there is no contest about that.
As for the android app the last time I used it was when I had my android phone back in October. I wasn't amazed that's for sure. I don't know if it has improved from then though.

hadareud

The Translator
The fb messaging works quite well on WP I have to say. Haven't yet noticed any late arriving messages (or messages that don't arrive).

Can't say that I use it extensively, but a few people I know abroad use FB to "text" me on a fairly regular basis and so far there haven't been any issues.

Now as for notifications, they don't work (apart from for messages). It's a bit shit for that (and by a bit I mean quite a bit. And quite a bit means it's horrendously shite).

Tomcat

The fb messaging works quite well on WP I have to say. Haven't yet noticed any late arriving messages (or messages that don't arrive).

Can't say that I use it extensively, but a few people I know abroad use FB to "text" me on a fairly regular basis and so far there haven't been any issues.

Now as for notifications, they don't work. It's a bit shit for that (and by a bit I mean quite a bit. And quite a bit means it's horrendously shite).

ah yes I forgot about that. The notifications are MIA. That's a big problem indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom