• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
It don't want the 620. It looks boring and fat and I hate that the front buttons on the bezel are so close to the screen and not centered, just like on the Lumia 800. It drives me nuts.

Milchjon

No flash would be a dealbreaker. Seriously, compared to the 620 it seems inferior in every way except the centered buttons
KuGsj.gif

No flash would be a dealbreaker. Seriously, compared to the 620 it seems inferior in every way except the centered buttons
KuGsj.gif

But the look of those buttons is important! I don't even use the flash on my GN, because it always ruins the picture anyway. Centered buttons > Flash that ruins pictures.

e: And it's not inferior in every way, compared to the 620. The 520 has super-sensitive touch, the 620 does not!

buhdeh

So I can get either the HTC 8S or Lumia 520 for $150 off contract. Any reason to pick the 520? Cause I think the 8S is a way better looking phone.

MarkusRJR

So I can get either the HTC 8S or Lumia 520 for $150 off contract. Any reason to pick the 520? Cause I think the 8S is a way better looking phone.
Well the 8S only has 4gb of memory (a lot of which isn't even usable), which as far as I know causes the "other data" issue where apps cache data and end up leaving you with none.

The 520 has 8 GB instead of 4 GB of internal storage, which might be important, because you can't move apps to your micro SD.

E: I have to admit, I completely forgot that he 8S even existed. Who can I blame for that?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You own a galaxy nexus. What the hell do you care what a phone looks like?

edit: that phone looks nice, but 4gb is unforgivable.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

The HTC 8S is a really nice phone, I got one for my sister just the other day. It's small and weighty (in a good way) and feels really nice. Not cheap and plasticy like a lot of stuff out there (especially in that price range)

The onboard storage is a bit pants (you actually get about 1.2GB if I remember correctly) but you can just jam a micro SD in there and you're good to go.

I also think it's the best looking Windows Phone but that's just me.

Coldsnap

I don't get why my HTC 8X always goes to the bing page. I'll be doing something then all of a sudden the bing page will pop up.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The onboard storage is a bit pants (you actually get about 1.2GB if I remember correctly) but you can just jam a micro SD in there and you're good to go.

You can't save apps to SD, so the 1gb represents the entirety of the space you can use for apps. And apps aren't getting any smaller. Won't take much to fill that up, and you can forget about having a lot of games.

My Lumia 820 finally arrived and it's in virtually mint condition. Pretty snazzy red cover too, which is something I wasn't expecting. Now to go about setting it up.

Initial impressions after using it for a hot minute - very impressed.

hwalker84

Crazy ass error I had with the Facebook Beta. Attaching the contents of the email sent to MS.

5.0.1.0: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Type: MS.Internal.WrappedException

User ID:

Current URI: /Views/Home.xaml

Date & Time: 5/1/2013 10:54:27 PM

Inner exceptions:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Last exception hashcode: a714a8d6
Last exception callstack:
at Facebook.Services.FriendsService.k.b(User A_0)
at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereListIterator`1.MoveNext()
at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
at Facebook.Services.FriendsService.AddCurrentUser(User user)
at Facebook.Services.FriendsService.e()
at Facebook.Services.FriendsService.Load(Boolean isRefresh)
at Facebook.Controls.People.Refresh()
at Facebook.Controls.People..ctor()

Last 100 log messages (most recent first):

2013-05-02T02:54:27: An unhandled exception has occurred. Exiting the application.
2013-05-02T02:54:27: DeviceTotalMemory: 898 MB, ApplicationCurrentMemoryUsage: 12 MB, ApplicationPeakMemoryUsage: 12 MB
2013-05-02T02:54:27: Isolated storage file 'DataCache.224900308\Friends_{0}' read successfully.
2013-05-02T02:54:27: MULTIQUERY GET: Notifications:select is_unread from notification where recipient_id = me() and is_unread=1:System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[Facebook.Models.Notification, Facebook.Models, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]], mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e|Messages:select thread_id from unified_thread where has_tags('inbox') and unseen=1:System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[Facebook.Models.Messaging.UnifiedThread, Facebook.Models, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]], mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e|Requests:select uid_from from friend_request where uid_to=me() and unread=1:System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[Facebook.Models.Request, Facebook.Models, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]], mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e
2013-05-02T02:54:27: MULTIQUERY GET: ProfileInfo:select uid,work,current_location,first_name,last_name,name,pic,pic_big,pic_small,pic_square,pic_cover,profile_update_time,profile_url,status from user where uid=224900308:System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[Facebook.Models.User, Facebook.Models, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]], mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e|Pages:SELECT page_id,name,pic_square from page where page_id in (SELECT page_id FROM page_admin WHERE uid = 224900308):System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[Facebook.Models.Page, Facebook.Models, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]], mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e|Groups:SELECT gid, name, pic_small, icon34, icon68, description, update_time, creator FROM group WHERE version > 0 AND gid in (SELECT gid FROM group_member WHERE uid=224900308) ORDER BY update_time DESC:System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[Facebook.Models.Group, Facebook.Models, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]], mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e|FriendLists:SELECT flid, name, owner, type from friendlist where owner = me():System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[Facebook.Models.FriendList, Facebook.Models, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]], mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e
2013-05-02T02:54:25: Navigated to: Facebook.Views.Home
2013-05-02T02:54:25: MULTIQUERY GET: Feed:SELECT post_id, actor_id, parent_post_id,description, target_id, app_id, message, attachment, app_data, attribution, likes, comments, created_time, tagged_ids, updated_time, privacy, place, with_tags, message_tags, description_tags, type, permalink FROM stream WHERE filter_key in (SELECT filter_key FROM stream_filter WHERE uid = 224900308 and type = 'newsfeed') AND is_hidden = 0 ORDER BY created_time DESC LIMIT 25:System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[Facebook.Models.Post, Facebook.Models, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]], mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e|UserNames:SELECT id, name, pic_square, type, pic_big from profile where id in (SELECT actor_id from #Feed):System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[Facebook.Models.User, Facebook.Models, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]], mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e|TargetNames:SELECT id, name, pic_square, type, pic_big from profile where id in (SELECT target_id from #Feed):System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[Facebook.Models.User, Facebook.Models, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]], mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e|TaggedUsers:SELECT id, name, pic_square, type, pic_big from profile where id in (SELECT tagged_ids from #Feed):System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[Facebook.Models.User, Facebook.Models, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]], mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e|Place:SELECT page_id, name from place where page_id in (SELECT place from #Feed):System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[Facebook.Models.Place, Facebook.Models, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]], mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e|Images:SELECT photo_id, src, width, height FROM photo_src WHERE photo_id IN (SELECT attachment from #Feed) ORDER BY width:System.Collections.Generic.List`1[[Facebook.Models.PhotoSource, Facebook.Models, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]], mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e
2013-05-02T02:54:25: Starting data service...
2013-05-02T02:54:25: Starting authentication service...
2013-05-02T02:54:25: Application launching.
2013-05-02T02:54:25: Facebook app started on thread: 1.

Sent from my Windows Phone

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Damn phone is taking forever.

Was supposed to be out last month but they found some bugs and that slowed things down. Still, with the London Nokia event in two weeks, this phone is getting Lumia 900'd. Even if it will have a ginormous 60 million dollar budget.

Was supposed to be out last month bit they found some bugs and that slowed things down. Still, with the London Nokia event in two weeks, this phone is getting Lumia 900'd. Even if it will have a ginormous 60 million dollar budget.

Someone offered me a grey 920 today. I declined it like a boss.
Not that I have the money right now

maeh2k

Was supposed to be out last month but they found some bugs and that slowed things down. Still, with the London Nokia event in two weeks, this phone is getting Lumia 900'd. Even if it will have a ginormous 60 million dollar budget.

I don't expect any devices with superior specs to the 920 before GPR3 at the end of the year. I expect them to show the aluminum Lumina that's been shown on leaked photos. Maybe there'll actually a bigger phone or a tablet, but nothing that would be clearly superior to the 928.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom