• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Pocket-lint hands on

Overall, from what we've seen so far, the Nokia Lumia 925 is a flagship phone that screams quality. It brings strong design to the fight, fused with Nokia's enhancements of Microsoft's mobile OS, giving you the best of Windows Phone.

We were hard on the Nokia Lumia 920 when it launched because of its size and weight. We preferred the slimmer and more managable Lumia 820. The Nokia Lumia 925 is the handset we wanted last November and we're glad it's here. The Nokia Lumia 925 will be available in June 2013.

Zeknurn

What a waste of time. A reskinned 920.

Fuck off Joe Belfiore.

Well this is to be expected as long as each of the US carriers want their own "unique" flagship device.

Wait for the AT&T device announcement to see the actual step up from the 920.

kharma45

Alx

I just learnt about that announcement yesterday, but I'm glad they did it, it looks like that 925 phone is what I was looking for. I liked the shape of the 820 (but not its screen resolution), loved the feel of the HTC One (and hoped it would be available with WP8), that 925 could be the perfect compromise.

I have the feeling that the recuction in weight and thinness is caused by the removal of the wireless charging. Don't see why the phone had to include aluminium. That said, the 928 looks premium compared to 925.

hadareud

The Translator
I think the phone actually looks quite nice.

In the leaked pictures it looked awful, so I'm surprised.

Let's see how their strategy of flooding the market with so many similar phones works for them.

Stunning looking phone from a hardware perspective. Love the two-tone metal finish and the various flourishes like the corner slits. Unfortunately, even with an 8X, it would make zero sense buying one now, or even in 6 months time.

The Verge said:
Nokia has swapped out a unibody polycarbonate look and feel for metal. Aluminum to be precise. The result is a stunning, slimline Lumia that weighs just 139 grams. It's really noticeable when you pick up the Lumia 925 for the first time. With a polycarbonate rear, and aluminum frame wrapping around the side of the device, it feels almost as plastic and lightweight as a Samsung Galaxy. But the aluminum makes it a lot more sturdy and brings it to similar design and hardware levels as Apple's iPhone 5.

hadareud

The Translator
Don't you just love the Verge.

It's getting a bit tired now.

There's been so many "high quality apps" released in recent months, but it's never going to be enough. I don't see how WP is holding back Nokia. If I compare how much I use my phone and how many apps I use to all the iPhone users I actually know - and there's a fair few - there's actually fuck all that they do on their phone that I can't do and in most cases it's a better experience on the Lumia. As for Android, same story with the added benefit of having used the platform myself for many years so I know for a fact that this particular complaint is nothing but fucking lazy.

At the end of the day, there's very (very) few apps missing now that actually matter. And the ones that are there are almost all high quality (with a few notable exceptions).

You are probably contractually obliged to whinge like a drain when you work for the Verge. But it's time to find something new to moan about.

MCD

It's pretty fucking obvious Nokia is held back by the incompetent WP team.

A whole update for tap to wake up, FM radio and...whatever else.

Tap to wake or the camera improvements aren't tied to the GDR2 update. Nokia just choose to bundle it all in one update instead of smaller updates (more carrier friendly, if you know what I mean).

hadareud

The Translator
Is the FM tuner really a feature that many people actually care about?

I've never once used the FM tuner on my Desire HD in 18 months. FM radio is shit and for the radio stations that I do listen to for football commentary etc I use TuneIn. Most of them are only AM anyway, so an FM tuner wouldn't help there. And the only FM station I do listen to (BBC Radio 4) I only listen to in the car.

Surely I can't be the only one who doesn't care about the FM tuner?

I've never once used the FM tuner on my Desire HD in 18 months. FM radio is shit and for the radio stations that I do listen to for football commentary etc I use TuneIn. Most of them are only AM anyway, so an FM tuner wouldn't help there. And the only FM station I do listen to (BBC Radio 4) I only listen to in the car.

I really liked the FM tuner in my old Optimus 7 and was really, really bummed, when I found out that my Galaxy Nexus didn't have one (I didn't check the specs, thought it was a checklist feature these days; silly me). I always used the FM tuner to listen to the local radio station on my way to work. No need to waste bandwidth for that.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

I care. I want to be able to listen to the radio without killing my battery and using my data. Plus, you know, 3G isn't that great sometimes so it's nice that FM works pretty much everywhere.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Well I guess it makes sense for them to retool the 920 around being lighter instead of packing in a bigger sensor and making it even heavier.

Still, what I really want from Nokia is the 'out there' device, the Pureview, the 9200, the 710, the device that's for the fringe user that is happy to pay more for a device that's too fat to be mainstream.

They need the 925 as well, obviously, but it's the odd devices that will win them their reputation back.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, maybe it's because I'm driving to work, so I have the radio there anyway if I wanted it.

8 out of 10 times I'll listen to an audiobook though and the 9th time I'll listen to my own music. The only time I have the radio on on my way to work is if I give my gf a lift.

I just noticed the bio for @Nokia:

"Indestructible. Since 1865. #switch"

JLQso6m.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's pretty fucking obvious Nokia is held back by the incompetent WP team.

Someone didn't like the presentation, lol. And although you're wrong about these features being from MS, as brot pointed out, you are correct in that a quad core processor and a 1080p screen would have been on the 925 and 928 if it weren't for the WP software not supporting it. Same with the 900 last year and its weak specs, Nokia probably should reorient their release schedule so that their phones come out in the fall with the OS updates. MS once again is moving way too slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom