• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pimp my Ride, BB10 edition.

DSC_0116.jpg

Try to put this into your Kid's Corner, Joe.

That BlackBerry event is amazing, guys.

Mercedes: "All of the cars we are bringing to market now are connected and have the ability to be 'always on.'"

What an outrage. Who's going to make a thread on the gaming side about this shit?

MarkusRJR

Mercedes: "All of the cars we are bringing to market now are connected and have the ability to be 'always on.'"

What an outrage. Who's going to make a thread on the gaming side about this shit?
Eh, it was decent until this whole talk about cars. It's not even informative or anything and could have been summed up in like 2 minutes.

Yes, I know you were probably sarcastic in the first place.

Chittagong

Gold Member

I am too stoked about the limitless possibilities in verticals to post a thread

Eh, it was decent until this whole talk about cars. It's not even informative or anything and could have been summed up in like 2 minutes.

Yes, I know you were probably sarcastic in the first place.

It's not over yet. I expect a good "one more thing" moment.

"Heins is espousing BlackBerry's strength in enterprise. BB's enterprise software can manage "all connected devices," including iOS and Android."

Someone should ask him about Windows Phone and Symbian during the Q&A.

Nokia "Amber" WP8 Lumia camera update:

It was announced today that Nokia will be bringing “Amber”, a software update package that will coincide with Microsoft’s GDR2 update later this summer. We got a quick look at some of the new camera functions, which will launch on the Lumia 925 and then come to all Windows Phone 8 Lumias via an over-the-air update.

So what can we expect? FM Radio, up to 3200 ISO support, less noise, enhanced color profile, image quality improvements and more. One of those new features is of course the Smart Camera app that you see demoed here in our video. Indeed, we’re quite excited for this feature to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PHW3YjexfaI

Lumia 925:

Networks: GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900, WCDMA, 2100, 1900, 850, 900, LTE 2100, 1800, 2600, 900, 800
Memory: 1GB RAM, 16 GB user memory (32GB on Vodafone)
Display: 4.5-inch AMOLED WXGA (1280×768)
Processor: 1.5 GHz dual-core Snapdragon
Camera: PureView 8.7-megapixel with OIS, Autofocus, dual LED flash. 2nd camera: HD 1.2MP wide angle
Size: 129 x 70.6 x 8.5* mm (*volumetric). Weight: 139g
Connectivity: USB 2.0, BT 3.0, NFC, WLAN a/b/g/n, A-GPS and Glonass, 3.5mm audio connector
Battery: 2000 mAh
Audio: -IHF speaker, 2 microphones, HD voice compliant, 3.5mm AV connector

Oh of course, NOW you use matte white.

PG2G

At least the in-built stuff can download in the background. Right?

Yeah, when it feels like it. Sometimes it takes a while for new stuff to show up also.

Maybe they will have improved things along with the addition of international support

kharma45

Yeah, when it feels like it. Sometimes it takes a while for new stuff to show up also.

Maybe they will have improved things along with the addition of international support

That'd be my main thing then, if it can do that it's a better option.

DSC_0150.jpg

Windows Phone left in the dust again. Thanks for nothing, Joe.

Wait, wasn't the 928 supposed to have a crazy high megapixel camera? That just looks like another repackaged 920.

That's a different phone, the rumored EOS. The 928 is indeed a repackaged 928, but for Verizon this time.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I prefer the whit and black 925s. Can't wait to get smart camera, etc. for my 920. Hope the podcast support comes to Canada as well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Joe on the next update:

Speaking of updates. As I mentioned earlier, the Lumia 925 comes with the latest update to the Windows Phone 8 operating system that includes a small number of improvements and upgrades. (It’s similar in size to the one we delivered earlier this year, which brought new Wi-Fi and messaging improvements like the ability to text a reply to an incoming call.)

The new update, which is expected to start rolling out to existing Windows Phone 8 phones later this summer, brings back support for FM radio (we heard you!) and makes the Data Sense feature of Windows Phone 8 available for more carriers to offer. The update also makes it easier to select, download, and pin tunes in Xbox Music and improves the accuracy of song info and other metadata—something I know music fans will appreciate. (FM Radio and Data Sense availability depend on your phone model and carrier.)

The update includes hundreds of other small quality improvements. One final one worth highlighting, as we announced earlier, is that the update also ensures Windows Phone continues to work with Google services by adding support for the company’s newest sync protocols—CalDAV and CardDAV.

hadareud

The Translator
Data sense.

About bloody time it became available. There's still no way for me to check my data usage on EE.

Thanks for nothing, Joe.

PG2G

The update also makes it easier to select, download, and pin tunes in Xbox Music and improves the accuracy of song info and other metadata—something I know music fans will appreciate.

Praise the lord, lol

hwalker84

DSC_0150.jpg

Windows Phone left in the dust again. Thanks for nothing, Joe.

That's a different phone, the rumored EOS. The 928 is indeed a repackaged 928, but for Verizon this time.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/14/4329688/blackberry-10-1-rolling-out-to-z10-starting-today

Even the worst competition is moving faster. At this rate the Firefox OS will have more features. It just doesn't feel like MS has the manpower assigned to the Windows Phone team that it needs to get things rolling at a steady clip. When you're playing catch up you can't move slower than the guys on top. It doesn't make any sense. They're moving as slow as Windows Mobile did and we see what happened there.

I haven't jumped ship and it's doubtful I will but I won't be surprised to see Nokia start making Android devices by next year.

MarkusRJR

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/14/4329688/blackberry-10-1-rolling-out-to-z10-starting-today

Even the worst competition is moving faster. At this rate the Firefox OS will have more features. It just doesn't feel like MS has the manpower assigned to the Windows Phone team that it needs to get things rolling at a steady clip. When you're playing catch up you can't move slower than the guys on top. It doesn't make any sense. They're moving as slow as Windows Mobile did and we see what happened there.

I haven't jumped ship and it's doubtful I will but I won't be surprised to see Nokia start making Android devices by next year.
Speaking of the BB 10.1 update, the moment they announced it the notification light on my Z10 went off to let me know the update was available. How did they get around carrier's to do instant updates like that for all non-US devices (like how Apple does)? Honestly the coolest moment regarding a phone update (I mean having my LED flash right as they announce it).

Microsoft would be better off letting Nokia take over development of WP, or at least outsourcing some of it.
Yeah every non-Nokia device feels so empty and featureless compared to Lumias. I'd wonder what would happen to Windows Phone if Nokia theoretically left to make Android phones?

hwalker84

Microsoft would be better off letting Nokia take over development of WP.

I don't think that's the case. They had their own OS and it put them in the position they're in. Nokia seems best at doing what they're doing right now. App's and experience on top of an OS. I think they work the best when someone else is doing the heavy lifting.

Unfortunately for them Microsoft is moving at a pace not suitable for today's climate and Nokia's shareholders.

These flagship phones are embarrassing next to the S4 and HTC One spec wise. Consumers don't know anything else than 1 number is higher than another.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't get it, that doesn't seem like a big update, how is that different from portico that we received within 3 months of the 920's launch?

All this talk of blackberry moving quickly is perplexing to me. My 920 has received like 3 updates already and another feature update is due within two months. Maybe MS should just label them like Google and Blackberry do with a number like 8.1, 8.2 etc. And maybe you guys will view it differently, cause I don't understand.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was hoping Nokia was going to have some sort eye/hovering fingering gesture on the 925. Could be useful and reliable.

MarkusRJR

Damn, Blackberry Messenger is cross platform now for free on every device. :eek:

Goodbye What's App. That app was such a buggy clusterfuck.

EDIT: Awkward... no WP support yet.

EDIT 2: They're making it feature comparable on other platforms later in the year. That means screen share, video, voice chat, and a ton of social features. Fucking yes. I will no longer have 2 BBM contacts, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom