• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone didn't like the presentation, lol. And although you're wrong about these features being from MS, as brot pointed out, you are correct in that a quad core processor and a 1080p screen would have been on the 925 and 928 if it weren't for the WP software not supporting it. Same with the 900 last year and its weak specs, Nokia probably should reorient their release schedule so that their phones come out in the fall with the OS updates. MS once again is moving way too slowly.

Nokia is still going to release phones in the fall.

hwalker84

By the time MS supports specs from 2012 we'll have some new chip out and we'll be left behind again. It's not that the specs are needed for performance they're needed for perception.

Fjolle

Someone didn't like the presentation, lol. And although you're wrong about these features being from MS, as brot pointed out, you are correct in that a quad core processor and a 1080p screen would have been on the 925 and 928 if it weren't for the WP software not supporting it. Same with the 900 last year and its weak specs, Nokia probably should reorient their release schedule so that their phones come out in the fall with the OS updates. MS once again is moving way too slowly.

Remember back in the good old Symbian days when Nokia weren't hindered by MS incompetence and released the N8 and 808 with cutting edge SoCs and high resolution displays?

Me neither.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
This isn't the same smartphone landscape, there is a bigger focus on specs, for better or worse. And if you're implying that Nokia would not have put 1080p screens and quad core processors on these phones if the OS supported it, I strongly disagree. Whatever high end SOC the OS supported, Nokia would utilize for their flagship, its what they've done so far.

edit: I don't think its entirely fair to call quad core and 1080p 2012 specs, because it makes it sound like we had flagship phones releasing with those specs this time last year. If anything, it was late 2012 and also the flagships that came out with those specs arrived in 2013 aside from the HTC phone, which nobody wanted anyway.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
By the time MS supports specs from 2012 we'll have some new chip out and we'll be left behind again. It's not that the specs are needed for performance they're needed for perception.

It is very strange, I thought the Windows RT environment change last year would fix these hardware issues but MS still seems really gung ho on the tablet front and really quiet on phones.

People are absolutely right about the alternative universe where Nokia are on Android having Nokia quad core 1080p devices, the only problem is you're still not buying them because they have Navteq maps, the Ovi store, and they cost more because Nokia can't compete with Samsung or HTC on supply chains.

Remember back in the good old Symbian days when Nokia weren't hindered by MS incompetence and released the N8 and 808 with cutting edge SoCs and high resolution displays?

Me neither.

Remember back in the good old Symbian days where specs mattered as much as today?

Me neither.

maeh2k

This isn't the same smartphone landscape, there is a bigger focus on specs, for better or worse. And if you're implying that Nokia would not have put 1080p screens and quad core processors on these phones if the OS supported it, I strongly disagree. Whatever high end SOC the OS supported, Nokia would utilize for their flagship, its what they've done so far.

edit: I don't think its entirely fair to call quad core and 1080p 2012 specs, because it makes it sound like we had flagship phones releasing with those specs this time last year. If anything, it was late 2012 and also the flagships that came out with those specs arrived in 2013 aside from the HTC phone, which nobody wanted anyway.

OS support or not, I wouldn't expect Nokia or anyone else to release significant upgrades to flagship phone every six months. Samsung and HTC focus on flagship phone every year with maybe some small variations like a larger version.

maeh2k

Don't know if someone or some linked article mentioned it already, but here are some details to the improvements to the camera (source: http://winfuture.de/news,75954.html)

Nokia improved the optics of the camera. Instead of five lenses, it now has six lenses. As a result of the changes it supposedly lets in more light than the 920.

I think it's great that they are making all these small improvements and incremental upgrades before their next hero phone.

Izuna

Banned
Don't know if someone or some linked article mentioned it already, but here are some details to the improvements to the camera (source: http://winfuture.de/news,75954.html)

Nokia improved the optics of the camera. Instead of five lenses, it now has six lenses. As a result of the changes it supposedly lets in more light than the 920.

I think it's great that they are making all these small improvements and incremental upgrades before their next hero phone.

OMG there's the EOS in that video!

MCD

Now that I cooled down a little...OK, I like that grey metal look.

Fuck, I don't want another phone.

Oh, and the sensor has probably improved a lot seeing as you can now shoot at up to ISO 3200 compared to 800 in the Lumias before.

I have a strange feeling that a night scene at 1/3, ISO 3200 will be always overexposed by a long shot, which can only mean a good thing :p

PG2G

T-mobile exclusive?

Is Nokia really at this point already? DOA.

There is a AT&T exclusive 920, Verizon exclusive 928, and T-Mobile exclusive 925.
What is the issue? Every carrier except Sprint has a variant of this gen's high end device

Magni

Am I the only one who hates pimple cameras on phones?

I just want 92x specs in a 720 body/design, in CYAN. Please offer this by Christmas Nokia

T-mobile exclusive?

Is Nokia really at this point already? DOA.

I'm sorry? The 920 was exclusive to AT&T, the 928 is a variant for Verizon and T-Mobile gets the 925.

It's basically the same phone, but carriers in the US don't want consumers to know that, so they demand stupid little changes.

Not different than this, except for the time exclusivity of the 920 on AT&T.

IrldhC7.jpg

Every carrier got a Galaxy S2 with its own name, look and little differences.

Magni

Sure, but it is the combined sales of all of the devices that matter not the success of a particular one. Besides, its a world phone as well.

It's a world phone? Does the unlocked unbranded version work on both AT&T and T-Mobile?

edit:

GSM network: 1800 MHz, 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1900 MHz
GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
LTE network bands3: 1, 3, 7, 8, 20
LTE max data speed DL: 100 Mbps
LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps
WCDMA network: 900 MHz, 2100 MHz, 1900 MHz, 850 MHz
WCDMA max data speed DL: HSDPA - 42.2 Mbps
WCDMA max data speed UL: HSUPA - 5.76 Mbps

edit: AT&T is LTE bands 4 and 17, T-Mo bands 4 and 25. Why, Nokia? Why.

Milchjon

So, is this the BlackBerry Live thread too?

They're already 15 minutes late. But I guess if you're BlackBerry, you can do that.

Gamble

I'm sorry? The 920 was exclusive to AT&T, the 928 is a variant for Verizon and T-Mobile gets the 925.

It's basically the same phone, but carriers in the US don't want consumers to know that, so they demand stupid little changes.

Not different than this, except for the time exclusivity of the 920 on AT&T.

IrldhC7.jpg

Every carrier got a Galaxy S2 with its own name, look and little differences.

Thank You!!

PG2G

It sounds like the Smart Camera needs some more powerful hardware to truly shine. It is limited to 5 megapixel images on the high end devices and 1 megapixel images on the low end.

Edit: Outlook.com now supports Google Talk. Can we please have that integrated into our messages app too??????????? lol

Milchjon

"We're not only still here, we're firing on all cylinders as a company."

Didn't they fire 6,000 people last quarter?

9:23:42 AM EDT

"The most successful launch year for BlackBerry is well under way."
9:23:32 AM EDT

"We're definitely in the race. In one year, we've brought this company to a profitable quarter."

Nokia should've gone with BB10.

Razdek

Banned
It's pretty fucking obvious Nokia is held back by the incompetent WP team.

A whole update for tap to wake up, FM radio and...whatever else.

I'd hate to be on the Windows Phone team, seems like nobody is pleased with them. I still can't understand why they won't update the chassis maximum to support quad and 1080p screens. How can that not help the ecosystem instead of recycled 920 variants that's happening?

Razdek

Banned
At least Rim isn't incompetent.

One thing you can say about Blackberry is that at least they're trying even if things aren't working the way they want it to. The WP team meanwhile is just there but hey their market share is increasing in India :/

PG2G

I'd hate to be on the Windows Phone team, seems like nobody is pleased with them. I still can't understand why they won't update the chassis maximum to support quad and 1080p screens. How can that not help the ecosystem instead of recycled 920 variants that's happening?

They will, its coming in GDR3.

:(

I dream of a world where all phones work the same in all countries. (we'll probably get rid of countries before we get there though)

Yeah, or we'll just be paying for WiFi or something instead and everything will go over that

Razdek

Banned
They will, its coming in GDR3.

Yeah, or we'll just be paying for WiFi or something instead and everything will go over that

Oh I know it's coming but why the hell is it taking them so long to do it? I really want to hear the excuse on this one.

MCD

The reason is clear as day: WP team is tied with the usual MS fall update plan titled this year as "Blue".

However, unlike the big Windows team, WP team have yet to make this public and whenever something leaks, it's just another minor update and bug fixes.

Tl;dr they are slow and their secrecy isn't helping anyone.

Everything went downhill after mango.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
One thing you can say about Blackberry is that at least they're trying even if things aren't working the way they want it to. The WP team meanwhile is just there but hey their market share is increasing in India :/

Oh fucking please. You just talked about the lack of quad core and 1080p support, what does the z10 pack? Fact is, windows phone is a more competent, more stable operating system than bb10, and even with a kernel change it still beat blackberry to market.

I whine about the need for the WP team to iterate more quickly too, but that's in comparison to android, not blackberry. You've got to be fucking kidding if you think the WP team isn't "trying" compared to blackberry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom