• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

Speaking of the BB 10.1 update, the moment they announced it the notification light on my Z10 went off to let me know the update was available. How did they get around carrier's to do instant updates like that for all non-US devices (like how Apple does)?

Yeah every non-Nokia device feels so empty and featureless compared to Lumias. I'd wonder what would happen to Windows Phone if Nokia theoretically left to make Android phones?

Surface Phone and updates moving even slower until WP slips off into irrelevancy. MS will be content with their Android patent money.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No, seriously, are we jealous of that shitty blackberry conference now?

I must be missing something, because between what MS and Nokia have planned for gdr2, it seems to be at least on par with what bb10.1 is bringing in terms of features.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I must be missing something, because between what MS and Nokia have planned for gdr2, it seems to be at least on par with what bb10.1 is bringing in terms of features.

Thread has a case of the verge. Positive news followed by a slap in the face.

Zeknurn

I think it's because they are sponsoring Mercedes and have Hamilton. Nokia obviously needs to sponsor Lotus and secure Räikkönen.

Additions include support for PIN-to-PIN messaging in BlackBerry Hub, HDR photography, deeper customization of notifications, universal search actions and generally speedier, less buggy performance.

WP has none of that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I didn't say we are getting the same features, I said we are getting at least as many new features. Also, speedier and less buggy we can count out, hdr is available through apps, I don't know what pin to pin messaging is, and the search improvements sound like the only cool part of the update.

PG2G

I don't get it, that doesn't seem like a big update, how is that different from portico that we received within 3 months of the 920's launch?

All this talk of blackberry moving quickly is perplexing to me. My 920 has received like 3 updates already and another feature update is due within two months. Maybe MS should just label them like Google and Blackberry do with a number like 8.1, 8.2 etc. And maybe you guys will view it differently, cause I don't understand.

I'm with you. It is actually kind of annoying at times.

MarkusRJR

WP has none of that.
Honestly I'm just happy that I can use Skype now. I was scared it'd be like WP where it took forever to come to the platform. BB10 got it after 3 months. Now I only need Instagram and Flipboard (or an equivalent) and I can move entirely onto BB10. Those two are never happening any time soon though.

Well I guess we'll see, they have the developer event today so they usually announce a few new apps there.

Talon

Not seeing the issue here considering both VZW and ATT have the 928/920 exclusives as well.......
920's 7 months old. Verizon is a bunch of dicks.

This seems like a serious enough update to warrant AT&T Carriage. We all know Verizon's a pipe dream because they're a sack of dicks.

The point is that it's a serious concern that Nokia still can't launch across multiple carriers with a major release. The 8X launched across AT&T and T-Mobile, but they could only get the last place carrier with this device.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Somebody should have warned me that tumblr allows adult "art". I have the tumblr app set to the wide tile cause I enjoy the photos and just now some bent over lady with vagina juice dripping out of her flipped on to the tile. This is bullshit.

dorkimoe

Not seeing the issue here considering both VZW and ATT have the 928/920 exclusives as well.......

They arent the iphone though, do they really need to be exclusive? I for one would buy that phone on day 1 if it were coming to ATT...been waiting for the next device since people said hold off on the 920 since its older now

I'm sorry? The 920 was exclusive to AT&T, the 928 is a variant for Verizon and T-Mobile gets the 925.

It's basically the same phone, but carriers in the US don't want consumers to know that, so they demand stupid little changes.

Not different than this, except for the time exclusivity of the 920 on AT&T.

IrldhC7.jpg

Every carrier got a Galaxy S2 with its own name, look and little differences.

that was 2 years ago, even HTC has One flagship across 3 US carriers this year.

MarkusRJR

Somebody should have warned me that tumblr allows adult "art". I have the tumblr app set to the wide tile cause I enjoy the photos and just now some bent over lady with vagina juice dripping out of her flipped on to the tile. This is bullshit.
Oh man. :lol

Does it still show up on the smallest tile size?

Doffen

Are you trying to tell me Tumblr got a different usage?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Oh man. :lol

Does it still show up on the smallest tile size?

Yep, you can see even more of the image because its set up in a portrait orientation, smh.

Are you trying to tell me Tumblr got a different usage?

If it does, I honestly didn't know. I'm just glad I saw it and not my 6 year old daughter. She usually just uses the kids corner, but sometimes she grabs the phone from me and just scrolls down to Xbox games.

Talon

Excuse my ignorance but what is the benefit of the GMail app?
ActiveSync support for Gmail will be pulled in a month for new syncs (so you're fine as long as you've set-up prior to that date with your device).

Using Gmail with IMAP doesn't support Push, so you have to use Fetch instead. This is actually what they complain about the most with WP.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
ActiveSync support for Gmail will be pulled in a month for new syncs (so you're fine as long as you've set-up prior to that date with your device).

Using Gmail with IMAP doesn't support Push, so you have to use Fetch instead. This is actually what they complain about the most with WP.

CardDAV, CalDAV support is imminent.

Talon

CardDAV, CalDAV support is imminent.
We're talking about the actual MAIL component of Gmail.

CardDAV is for contacts.
CalDAV is for calendar.

Although it is hilarious that Google announced they were going to pull CalDAV and start using a proprietary GCal protocol just a few weeks after that announcement.

hwalker84

http://www.zdnet.com/nokia-lumia-92...-is-holding-back-nokia-innovation-7000015352/

Nokia used to push the limits of the smartphone world with innovative devices running Symbian and we are just not seeing them able to push too far with Windows Phone. The limitations I am talking about include functions left behind from Windows Phone 7 moving to Windows Phone 8, FM radio, ability to rent/buy movies in the Marketplace, utilities such as flip to silent, and more. Some of these are coming back eventually thanks to Nokia's hard work.

We also see things missing in Windows Phone 8 that we saw from Nokia in Symbian, including FM transmitter (so nice to stream podcasts to in-car stereo), phone profiles, truly great multi-tasking, and home screen folders. Nokia has innovated in software with some great camera features and outstanding services like Nokia Music+ and HERE Maps.

At this point I'll be surprised if we get a pure view camera because of how slow Microsoft is supporting new hardware features.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I like that you can choose to launch the new app rather than the regular camera app. That potentially opens the door to the wild west of android app launching customization, so I hope they figure out a way to manage that so that its hidden from regular users and yet accessible to advanced users. I do not want a pop up asking me what browser to open a link with or a pop up asking me which photo app to open a photo with. But if I want to change the default app for an action, let there be a menu.

Fjolle

We're talking about the actual MAIL component of Gmail.

CardDAV is for contacts.
CalDAV is for calendar.

Although it is hilarious that Google announced they were going to pull CalDAV and start using a proprietary GCal protocol just a few weeks after that announcement.

There's IMAP for that...?

Nokia used to push the limits of the smartphone world with innovative devices running Symbian and we are just not seeing them able to push too far with Windows Phone.

I'm usually not the one who comments all bitter on this, but come the fuck on.

Nokia pushed this innovative hardware bundle

640 × 360 pixels nHD (16:9 aspect ratio)
680 MHz ARM11 processor (ARM v6 architecture) (not even v7!)
256 MB RAM
Broadcom BCM2727 GPU

in form of the Nokia N8 against the iPhone 4 in October 2010.

What good is a fantastic camera if the rest of the phone is shit?

I'm usually not the one who comments all bitter on this, but come the fuck on.

Nokia pushed this innovative hardware bundle

640 × 360 pixels nHD (16:9 aspect ratio)
680 MHz ARM11 processor (ARM v6 architecture) (not even v7!)
256 MB RAM
Broadcom BCM2727 GPU

in form of the Nokia N8 against the iPhone 4 in October 2010.

What good is a fantastic camera if the rest of the phone is shit?

Not to mention the nokia N97 mid 2009.

Anyone else's live tiles not updating? My tiles just do not update anymore I've restarted and nuttin....

Check to see the stuff you have running in the background. If you have to many apps using live tiles sometimes that kinda mess it up.

Also I am in the same boat the last update make my connection worst than ever. It was suppose to fix it but I never have problem with the 2nd update on AT&T, now I constantly lost connection on 4G and my wifi connection always crap out with result in several podcast stuck in download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom