• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Metric, your phone is completely mirrored. I'd definitely exchange it for a new one.

Like I said, they've given it back and said that if I have more issues then I can exchange it. I dunno if it's a particular batch of 920s or the software or what. It's my second handset in a month. The manager dude said that they'll probably issue a patch sometime and that might fix it.

Like I said, they've given it back and said that if I have more issues then I can exchange it. I dunno if it's a particular batch of 920s or the software or what. It's my second handset in a month. The manager dude said that they'll probably issue a patch sometime and that might fix it.

I was kidding about it being mirrored, but I could completely understand you if you would get something else.

Whenever I come in here, I mostly see people complaining about bugs and other annoying things. As much as I love the asthetics of Windows Phone, I'm glad that I didn't get a WP8 at launch and believe me, I really want to go back, after switching from a WP7 to a Galaxy Nexus in June (I think).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I was kidding about it being mirrored, but I could completely understand you if you would get something else.

Whenever I come in here, I mostly see people complaining about bugs and other annoying things. As much as I love the asthetics of Windows Phone, I'm glad that I didn't get a WP8 at launch and believe me, I really want to go back, after switching from a WP7 to a Galaxy Nexus in June (I think).

Waiting for Apollo+

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Yeah that about describes me. I'd really like to stay with the 920 but if it means monthly crashing and software wipes then I don't know if I'd handle it. I'd rather swap to the dependable, if staid, iPhone 5.

SeanR1221

Ok my phone is stuck on the charge screen now. It's been charging for a good 15 minutes. Nothing is bumping it out of that.

And yes, it's also weird seeing Windows Phone having phones that are popular enough to warrant a thread.

And then I look at the 8X and think "maybe not".

SeanR1221

wireless charging or USB charging? If the battery was fully discharged, it can take a while for the battery to charge up enough to boot.

Wired. It's been plugged in for almost a half hour now. Something seems wrong.

I'm just going to att now. Tired of waiting.

Edit: and the second I type that the Nokia screen comes on and it's stuck.

derFeef

ah ha!

It was you I was going to reply to about battery life, id get a day out of it with decent usage. There is a post either here or in the 8s/x thread

Sounds good, thanks. Currently updating and charging. Playtime and photosession comes later.

It's gorgeous though, really light and classy. Would have liked a 920 at Christmas, but Nokia is doing the wrong things :(

Qge6x.jpg

And yes, it's also weird seeing Windows Phone having phones that are popular enough to warrant a thread.

And then I look at the 8X and think "maybe not".

:p

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Wired. It's been plugged in for almost a half hour now. Something seems wrong.

I'm just going to att now. Tired of waiting.

Edit: and the second I type that the Nokia screen comes on and it's stuck.

Your phone is dead. I went through this yesterday. You can either return the phone or do the process linked a few pages ago. Its not difficult, but it is time consuming. I brought mine back to life and you can too. Its basically loading a new firmware on your phone. But if you can't or won't, just know your phone isn't coming back on its own. You would have to return it if you are unwilling to go through the wpcentral method.

Edit: I should also point out that this method will also make it so you are safe to do hard resets in the future according to the folks at wpcentral. So you wouldn't have to do it again if you ever wanted to reset your phone.

SeanR1221

Your phone is dead. I went through this yesterday. You can either return the phone or do the process linked a few pages ago. Its not difficult, but it is time consuming. I brought mine back to life and you can too. Its basically loading a new firmware on your phone. But if you can't or won't, just know your phone isn't coming back on its own. You would have to return it if you are unwilling to go through the wpcentral method.

Edit: I should also point out that this method will also make it so you are safe to do hard resets in the future according to the folks at wpcentral. So you wouldn't have to do it again if you ever wanted to reset your phone.

Yeah ATT guy confirmed it was dead. Local service center doesn't carry it so I called the number. They didn't have them either and can't tell me when they will. They said they'd write on my account to make an exchange exception. In line now to try.

Edit: what a nightmare. The employee called
The manager and they immediately dismissed me without even looking at my account. Told guy to please at least look and then he walked in the back again to call the manager. Jesus, just swap the fucking thing.

derFeef

Looks like several apps can't connect, really weird. I just thought google service because I only tried those apps, but Amazing Weather does not work too - they all give me a connection issue message, but works fine in IE etc.
Already rebooted several times.

Look, the amount of noise-to-signal goes up and down in this thread depending on unknow...trolls. Sometimes I gotta make sure.
This post is an example of hilarious hypocrisy. You're the one accusing people who are reporting problems of not owning a device. I've done nothing but respond factually to people who are interested in having debates purely on the merits of the Windows Phone platform and the devices. Only the cultists seem to have any problems with me being here.

MCD

Noob question about Xbox Music:

I bought Halo 4 OST Deluxe edition on my Lumia but when I tried to download it on my Surface RT, it asked me to purchase again?

Is Xbox Music not shared across all devices? Or is there an extra step I am missing?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Noob question about Xbox Music:

I bought Halo 4 OST Deluxe edition on my Lumia but when I tried to download it on my Surface RT, it asked me to purchase again?

Is Xbox Music not shared across all devices? Or is there an extra step I am missing?

I haven't done this before, but I think if you use the WP8 app, select the album on your phone, and right click it should have the option to download to your PC?

MCD

Oh

I have to use that app? I thought Xbox Music will know that I bought it before.

Will try later. Thanks.

Looks like several apps can't connect, really weird. I just thought google service because I only tried those apps, but Amazing Weather does not work too - they all give me a connection issue message, but works fine in IE etc.
Already rebooted several times.

Are you on WiFi or cellular?

derFeef

Are you on WiFi or cellular?

Tried it with both, always the same, same apps etc. I kinda hope it sorts out itself because... well... it's bad ;)

edit: Just came to think... maybe it's the new update? Anyone tried those apps with it?

edt2: every app that requires an account permission seems to not work, twitter, google account things. Hmm.

MCD

Lumia 920 battery on 3g = 4 to 5 hours max

on 2g = 20 hours and more fuck yeah

home + work place have the lousiest signal ever which is killing my Lumia.

hwalker84

What's a decent twitter app that's been updated for Windows phone 8 and has a decent live tile? I use gleek but the tile is awful.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wow this is really nice. May buy it.

A lot of options for the live tile (metro or enhanced) for each size, lock screen image can be current weather, bing, or custom.

I had bought it a long time ago so I just re-downloaded it. It is pretty nice, especially the lockscreen. There is less info within the app however. I

dLMN8R

What's a decent twitter app that's been updated for Windows phone 8 and has a decent live tile? I use gleek but the tile is awful.

Rowi hasn't been specifically updated for Windows Phone 8, but it works tremendously well on 8 and has always had a helpful live tile.

hwalker84

Rowi hasn't been specifically updated for Windows Phone 8, but it works tremendously well on 8 and has always had a helpful live tile.
I don't necessarily need a helpful live tile. Just a tile that shows my twitter pic in high quality. Gleek does exactly what I want when I pin my account the picture quality is atrocious.

It so sad reading this thread, they finally have phones that people excited about but they completely botch the software. You guys think I am being dramatic calling Windows Phone 8 fuck up but reading about all the bugs I am just curious how many just returned the phone and will never touch Windows Phone again.

I only have to exchange the phone once and even me, I almost reconsider my choice and switching to Nexus 4. I haven't have any problem since exchanged it except for couple of crash. I am at Disney World today and the phone have been running like champ. Battery last until i got back to the hotel even with lot of pictures, a video and a lot of locations and internet (on LTE and wi-fi). The low light pictures and Nokia Cinemagraph even make my wife who doesn't care about gadget proclaimed that the camera on my phone is better than her point and shoot Cannon. A guy sitting next to me was shock at my picture taken without my phone flash fired.

Love this phone but I will be shocked if Microsoft didn't just completely fuck up Windows Phone future with all these issues.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm all good now with my phone (knock on wood). I used it for 12 hours today with web use, some alpha jax, downloading apps and I still have 37% left. And I have fixed my freezing issue I believe.

Commodore

Heh, I just switched to Amazing Weather after using Weather Flow for a long time, and now with the new update I'm back to Weather Flow. The upgraded HD tile is nice, plus I like the way Weather Flow shows information via the live tile, now we've got weather getting dynamically updated from the lock screen. Cool stuff. There's some seriously interesting things that some developers can do with the lockscreen. Another I saw recently was Hello Friends, an app that gives you the option of a lockscreen populated by your contact list pictures, which it updates periodically.

Going to be interesting what sort of apps show up once more and more apps are updated and created using the new APIs. And just to keep the tone of the thread lately thematically apt, stupid Microsoft releasing the latest SDK so late, so many low res, WP7 apps that make for a really bad first impression. They should have been ready and released it months in advance.

Humbug!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom