• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorbsie

So it's only podcast? Hmm...

zorbsie, is your phone language set to United States English? Maybe that worth a try?

My language was already set to that. Such a bummer. Got my hopes up and everything. Hopefully it's something they fix in an update. I won't hold my breath.

MCD

Put my region back to US. Is there any reason to not keep it in the US?

If you can use your Visa card with the US store then I don't see any reason why anyone would go for the other inferior stores. Of course, there is always the issue of supporting your country's store so MS/devs pay attention and release more apps for your region.

And one more thing: back in WP7, my credit card visa only worked with some shady methods like using PC + VPN...it was awful.

Now? It works! No questions asked. The only thing I have attached to this Visa is some fake US billing address lol. It also works with the Windows 8 store.

Xbox now is the black spot of MS. To change regions there, you have to go through two months or more of silly certification and your account will not work at the time of transferring. Never mind some games that may not work when you finish the process.

7 year old console folks.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If you can use your Visa card with the US store then I don't see any reason why anyone would go for the other inferior stores. Of course, there is always the issue of supporting your country's store so MS/devs pay attention and release more apps for your region.

And one more thing: back in WP7, my credit card visa only worked with some shady methods like using PC + VPN...it was awful.

Now? It works! No questions asked. The only thing I have attached to this Visa is some fake US billing address lol. It also works with the Windows 8 store.

Xbox now is the black spot of MS. To change regions there, you have to go through two months or more of silly certification and your account will not work at the time of transferring. Never mind some games that may not work when you finish the process.

7 year old console folks.

Cool. At the moment I don't think there are many apps from the US I really need. Nokia Music was the big one. Canada generally has most of the big apps.

I need some advice. my phone just broke and I've decided to go with a windows phine as I've become tired with android and iOS.

I can only budget to get either the Lumia 710 or Lumia 800. which one does everyone recommend? are there an issues I should be aware of with either? many thanks in advance for any help / advice given.

NeOak

I need some advice. my phone just broke and I've decided to go with a windows phine as I've become tired with android and iOS.

I can only budget to get either the Lumia 710 or Lumia 800. which one does everyone recommend? are there an issues I should be aware of with either? many thanks in advance for any help / advice given.

Lumia 620

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Where are you from? The HTC 8S is available through Virgin for $280 in Canada.

Lumia 620

not available in the uk sadly and there doesn't appear to be a concrete date for when it will be available either.

Where are you from? The HTC 8S is available through Virgin for $280 in Canada.

I'm in the UK. I've checked the prices for the HTC and it's out of my price by quite a bit. I'm not looking to spend more than £150 as I need the phone tomorrow. I'll probably invest in a better phone in the new year, but money is a bit tight after all the christmas spending and other holiday related things.

kharma45

HTC 8S, it's £180 PAYG from Three, and then you can get an unlock code for around £10 for it.

HTC 8S, it's £180 PAYG from Three, and then you can get an unlock code for around £10 for it.

that's perfect, just a little above my price range but I can afford to put twenty pounds towards a phone. do you know where I can get it unlocked?

thanks again everyone for the advice. I think I've just found my new phone. :D

kharma45

that's perfect, just a little above my price range but I can afford to put twenty pounds towards a phone. do you know where I can get it unlocked?

thanks again everyone for the advice. I think I've just found my new phone. :D

Three themselves can unlock them, probably best to ask in a store about it.

Edit - May not be as cheap as I made out. "You can unlock your device as soon as you’ve bought it from us. Once you’ve filled in the form, we’ll call you within two working days to take the £15.32 fee using a credit or debit card. We can only take payments on cards that are registered to the account owner."

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/htc-windows-phone-8s-179-99-plus-10-15-top-up-three-1397264

Works out at £190 in the end :\ although if you've Quidco/TCB they offer £13 cashback on PAYG phones.

kharma45

Yeah it is, should see better growth next year I think with the 620 coming out and the 920 losing its network exclusivity in the UK.

hwalker84

http://wmpoweruser.com/w8-vlc-media-player-may-come-to-wp8-gets-microsofts-support-needs-yours/
The first important news is that a port of VLC to Windows Phone 8 appears to be easier than expected. While the roadmap is about Windows 8 for Intel followed by a version for Windows RT, it appears to be feasible to publish another version with a specific interface for Windows Phone shortly after, since the WP8 APIs are way more similar to Windows 8 than WP7 ones.
Therefore, this fundraiser will help developping a version of VLC for Windows Phone 8. Interestingly, while WP8 offers the same programming interfaces available to Windows 8 & RT apps, it is less restrictive in some regards. Notably our existing networking code is going to run as is.
Then, we’ve been in touch with Microsoft representatives, who are thrilled about our endeavor and ready to collaborate with us. They are looking into ways of supporting us directly through non-financial matters, notably hardware, technical and design help. This is great news. Moreover, we’ve been in touch with several designers and some hardware chip vendors about this project.

That's all I needed to finally give them money.

I should give up my hope for Instagram to come to WP8 or am I wrong? A lot of my friends are using it and I want to follow them but I cannot register an account without the app. Kinda sucks if you ask me haha but still.

zedge

I should give up my hope for Instagram to come to WP8 or am I wrong? A lot of my friends are using it and I want to follow them but I cannot register an account without the app. Kinda sucks if you ask me haha but still.
Try metrogram, closest you will get for now.

Klocker

There are rumours of a delay of the Samsung ATIV S till next year, but if that is the case T-Mobile Austria has certainly not heard of them, as they are listing the device as in stock and ready to ship.

The handset is available from free on contract and has already had one review, calling it “honestly super”.

So if you have been holding out for the slimmest Windows Phone 8 handset with the biggest screen, there is some hope we will see the device on shelves soon all over the world

http://wmpoweruser.com/samsung-ativ-s-now-on-sale-on-t-mobile-austria/

yes please ATT

Troll

Banned
I hope instagram comes to the platform for the ecosystem and those who want it, but personally I don't get it.

What's probably going to happen:

Twitter releases a photo filter sharing service that kills Instagram. Right after Instagram releases for WP.

We wait for the filters from Twitter.

giga

What's probably going to happen:

Twitter releases a photo filter sharing service that kills Instagram. Right after Instagram releases for WP.

We wait for the filters from Twitter.
Instagram's appeal is its social network of photos. There are many apps that can filter your photos, but instagram is the biggest because of its community. Twitter is a social network, but not really the same kind as instagram.

dLMN8R

I think the rebooting issue was far more severe on the 8X, for whatever reason, so they probably rushed to get that update out first. Hopefully Nokia isn't too far behind.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I think the rebooting issue was far more severe on the 8X, for whatever reason, so they probably rushed to get that update out first. Hopefully Nokia isn't too far behind.

I've had that happen twice since buying it and it was worrisome. Hopefully this nips that in the bud.

Ragus

Banned
Are volume settings independent when it comes alarm/music/rigtone on 8X? I hope they would fix that on 920.

HTC 8S is available for purchase $279 outright at Virgin Mobile Canada

10-20282_phoneFront.png

Troll

Banned
Instagram's appeal is its social network of photos. There are many apps that can filter your photos, but instagram is the biggest because of its community. Twitter is a social network, but not really the same kind as instagram.

Honest question, what's the difference between the two social networks? Couldn't you just @ someone with the picture to share it? I really don't have a lot of experience with Instagram and that's where the question is coming from. I have been reading a couple articles about how Twitter is "battling" Instagram with the filters.

I want an update, Goddamnit. Nokia is the new Samsung confirmed!

giga

Honest question, what's the difference between the two social networks? Couldn't you just @ someone with the picture to share it? I really don't have a lot of experience with Instagram and that's where the question is coming from. I have been reading a couple articles about how Twitter is "battling" Instagram with the filters.

I want an update, Goddamnit. Nokia is the new Samsung confirmed!
Well, you could, but it isn't the same as having a dedicated community for one medium (photos). flickr, 500px, and instagram have their respective communities that are solely focused on just photos. Twitter let's you post and upload photos, but its medium is mainly text. Having a place where you just want to see the latest photos is different. It's hard to explain--you kind of just have to use it and also have friends that use it.

zedge

Does turning on "keep wifi active when screen is locked" save battery? My experience on Android with this setting is that it was a battery killer and I always turned it off.

Jadedx

Banned
I really want the lumia 920, but ATT will now work, so I'm thinking about the 8x. Can someone give me their experience with it?

hwalker84

Does turning on "keep wifi active when screen is locked" save battery? My experience on Android with this setting is that it was a battery killer and I always turned it off.
Its probably a battery killer. We'll see when we get some solid hands on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom