• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullza2o

I hope AT&T doesn't impede this update like it did for my Focus 1.

and on alpha jax I'm winning 302-150, yet my opponent just keeps passing. I have to pass too cause I only have a Q left. He's stalling the game :/

MCD

Summary? Anyone?

1 -Aussie ranting about Bing maps in his region (maps and dumb navigation)
2- Apps not getting the WP8 treatment so he is stuck with black borders
3- Weird font scaling when phone is horizontal
4- One ringer volume for everything
5- Some wallet issue in his region (voice and stuff)
6- Music button in music hub is silly or something
7- wifi not always on (which just got fixed)

kharma45

Does turning on "keep wifi active when screen is locked" save battery? My experience on Android with this setting is that it was a battery killer and I always turned it off.

Its probably a battery killer. We'll see when we get some solid hands on.

on android its supposed to save battery as it uses less energy to be always connected to WiFi rather than disconnecting and reconnecting every so often.

1 -Aussie ranting about Bing maps in his region (maps and dumb navigation)
2- Apps not getting the WP8 treatment so he is stuck with black borders
3- Weird font scaling when phone is horizontal
4- One ringer volume for everything
5- Some wallet issue in his region (voice and stuff)
6- Music button in music hub is silly or something
7- wifi not always on (which just got fixed)
The one volume for everything is as unbelievable to me as the hilariously terrible playlist management. How does MS think they will ever be competitive with the big dogs if they constantly overlook small but critical things like that?

f0lken

Ahahahaha...no.

Doesn't it have more resolution, better screen (non-pentile), better materials of construction, and far better camera? The Note of course has its own bettr things but depend of what you want in a phone is not unreasonable to say that the Lumia has better hardware than the Note 2

Doesn't it have more resolution, better screen (non-pentile), better materials of construction, and far better camera? The Note of course has its own bettr things but depend of what you want in a phone is not unreasonable to say that the Lumia has better hardware than the Note

The Note II is not PenTile. It's a weird matrix that still has all R G and Bs in a single pixel.

If you can use your Visa card with the US store then I don't see any reason why anyone would go for the other inferior stores. Of course, there is always the issue of supporting your country's store so MS/devs pay attention and release more apps for your region.

Dollar conversion rate :p

The brazilian store for instance is using a dollar to real rate of 1.67, while the market rate is currently at 2.10.

Doesn't it have more resolution, better screen (non-pentile), better materials of construction, and far better camera? The Note of course has its own bettr things but depend of what you want in a phone is not unreasonable to say that the Lumia has better hardware than the Note 2

More resolution? No. The Note II is 1280x720 (16:9), the Lumia 920 is 1280x768 (15:9). Different aspects, but 48 horizontal pixels doesn't make or break a phone screen.

Better screen? No. The Note II is full-RGB Super AMOLED HD, the Lumia 920 is IPS LCD. The LCD wins in daylight viewing but Super AMOLED blows all LCD screens away in black level, contrast ratio, and native motion resolution. And yes, the Note II's screen is not PenTile, unlike the Galaxy S III.

Better materials of construction? Sorry, both phones are plastic with glass screens.

Far better camera? In low-light conditions, yes. Otherwise they are comparable. I guess if you shoot a lot of pictures with your phone in low-light conditions, then the Lumia 920 is the go-to device.

Now let's be serious here about hardware.

Note II - Exynos 4412 Quad, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB storage expandable with up to 64 GB microSDXC, 5.5" Super AMOLED HD screen, S-Pen stylus with full integration into Android OS, optional wireless charging with replaceable back cover, MHL support for output over HDMI, front and back camera, 3100 mAh battery, polycarbonate shell with HyperGlaze finish, Gorilla Glass 2.

Dimensions:
151.1 mm (5.95 in) H
80.5 mm (3.17 in) W
9.4 mm (0.37 in) D

Weight: 180 g (6.3 oz)

Lumia 920 - Snapdragon S4 Dual, 1 GB RAM, 32 GB storage with no external expansion, 4.5" IPS LCD screen, no stylus, wireless charging built-in, no MHL support, front and back camera with PureView, 2000 mAh battery, polycarbonate shell with matte finish, Gorilla Glass 2.

Dimensions:

130.3 mm (5.13 in) H
70.8 mm (2.79 in) W
10.7 mm (0.42 in) D

Weight: 185 g (6.5 oz)

So, the Galaxy Note II only 0.38" wider than the Lumia 920 despite having a 1" bigger screen. It manages to be THINNER and LIGHTER than it's smaller competitor, and yet it fits a 50% larger battery, a stylus, and a microSDXC slot inside it's shell. So tell me again how the Lumia 920's hardware is better than the Note II's? Samsung has apparently done a miraculous thing compared to Nokia in fitting more stuff into a space which is thinner and lighter despite there being so much more stuff. Oh, and yeah, both phones are plastic.

Keep in mind that the Note II is also physically larger despite being slightly lighter.

If the 920 had AMOLED, at this pixel density, PenTile is a given.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Better hardware could also mean it doesn't look like it was designed by a 13 year old imagining what might look cool in the year 2030.

And still, Note 2 feels very cheap while being held in hand.

It's something that you'll only know when you touch it with your own hands.

It might have to do with the plastic's coating. I know that the Tab 2 7.0 doesn't feel cheap, or cheap enough, compared to their phones.

Also, keep in mind that hardware and software performance are not directly comparable between Android and iOS/Windows Phone. There's a reason why iOS and WP platforms tend to perform well anyway despite "inferior" hardware. Software efficiency is also important.

SeanR1221

So I wanted to do a factory reset on my 920 and it got stuck on the gears screen for an hour. I held down the power and volume buttons and now it's stuck on the Nokia screen. What the fuck?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So my phone has stopped showing messages that I send or receive. If I hit the send button the message disappears but it doesn't appear in the thread.

[edit]Ugh and the time has stopped updating properly. It did this before, and when I did a software reset it bricked. I'm really keen not to try that again. Anybody have any ideas?

hwalker84

Phone wont stop syncing.

Microsoft Account is in a infinite sync which makes LinkedIn and Twitter continue to sync. My Work activesync account is also in a infinite sync. Multiple reboots haven't fixed it. Sigh.

All mail apps immediately crash.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So my phone has stopped showing messages that I send or receive. If I hit the send button the message disappears but it doesn't appear in the thread.

[edit]Ugh and the time has stopped updating properly. It did this before, and when I did a software reset it bricked. I'm really keen not to try that again. Anybody have any ideas?

Reset. Bricked.

I'm going to take it back and see if I can get an iPhone 5.

kazinova

Reset. Bricked.

I'm going to take it back and see if I can get an iPhone 5.

You'll probably be happier...

Actually, you're problems are so one of a kind I'd almost want to see some proof you actually had a Lumia 920. Not to be that much of a skeptic, but I've heard of resets, I can believe a bricked phone. But not showing sent or received messages? That's one of a kind.

What carrier? When did you get yours? Can you take a screenshot for us, or a picture of the "bricked" screen?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Everyday my 920 would be frozen when I woke up in the morning so a few days ago I did a factory reset from the settings menu and the issue persisted. Then I read on the Nokia forums that a factory reset using the three button method is different so I gave it a try.

Now I have had two days with no freezes and also I can add my music from my Zune Pass without problems now. So far so good.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly couldn't use the Note 2 as a phone. I'm not using a headset wherever I go to talk. I only use Bluetooth headset in a car.

SeanR1221

Everyday my 920 would be frozen when I woke up in the morning so a few days ago I did a factory reset from the settings menu and the issue persisted. Then I read on the Nokia forums that a factory reset using the three button method is different so I gave it a try.

Now I have had two days with no freezes and also I can add my music from my Zune Pass without problems now. So far so good.

Reset with three buttons?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Reset with three buttons?

I believe the method goes like this. Hold the volume down+power+camera, wait for the phone to vibrate, release the power button, continue to hold vol.down and camera for 5 to 10 seconds and release and a exclamation mark should come up. I had a hard time getting it to do this, but I eventually got it.

After the exclamation mark appears, press up, down, power down and it should begin the factory reset. Sounds crazy, but it seems to have fixed my problems.

hwalker84

My Microsoft account is borked. Sync's forever.

edit: I hope this just resolves itself. I don't want to hard reset so close to the update.

edit: Holy shit I'm getting Happy Thanksgiving pop ups now.

And still, Note 2 feels very cheap while being held in hand.

that's the one thing i don't get... i really wonder if other people have held the same phone as me when i read that. i've been holding one in my hands for a few days now and it feels anything but cheap. it feels SOLID! no creakiness or sponginess, just solid and spectacular.

kharma45

Thought I'd post this over here as well as the HTC OT.

Some HTC 8S reviews starting to come in, pretty positive for the most part!

The Verge - 7.0

HTC has done a great job with the 8S aesthetically. I've tested a variety of Windows Phone 8 devices recently and this is easily the best looking of the bunch. The lightweight frame makes this especially appealing, and a 4-inch display is a sweet spot for one handed use on this device as well as making it generally comfortable to use. The two-tone color scheme is a unique and welcomed twist to this particular device and it's something I'd like to see on other HTC devices in the future. HTC has now proved it can make some great looking Windows Phone 8 devices.

Unfortunately, this beautiful body is let down behind the brains of the operation. A lack of forward facing camera will be disappointing for those wishing to capture photos on this device, as will the existing 5-megapixel rear shooter. Coupled with such a small amount of storage space, these specifications make the 8S more disappointing than at first glance. There are also some odd touch / performance issues here that HTC and Microsoft will need to address as soon as possible.

Although it has its faults, the price of the 8S makes this device particularly compelling to those considering a budget smartphone this holiday season. Disappointingly, the 8S is "not currently planned" for the US market according to HTC. In the UK it's available in contract form or as a pay as you go device for just £180 ($290). Similarly priced phones include Samsung’s Galaxy Ace 2, HTC’s Desire X, and Sony’s Xperia P. At this price it's easy for me to recommend this as a device for people who don’t need much from their phone, but want the functionality of a smartphone. If you're after a decent camera phone, though, then there's plenty of other options out there and HTC's 8X would serve you well. The apps might be lacking on Windows Phone, but it’s a solid OS for those that don’t care about them and the 8S is a great companion in that sense.

Know Your Mobile

You can pick up an HTC 8X for just £180 offline. That’s a fantastic price for a phone that looks and feels better than any Android device below £240. When you consider that we’re talking about the Google Nexus 4 - an anomalously value-centric device - it just goes to show how great a package the HTC 8S actually is.

There are a few issues though. For starters, stability isn’t as good as we’d like and certainly isn’t up there with other Windows Phone 8 handsets. Hanging menus is not something we’d expect to see from HTC or Windows Phone.

In saying that, as a value proposition, the HTC 8S is still undeniably easy to recommend. It represents the sublimation point at which incredible design meets a strong screen, impressive camera and cohesive, user friendly UI.

Will it be for everyone? No. We’ve discussed the limitations of Windows Phone in detail and these will be the enough to put many off making the leap.

If however you’re looking for an easy to use, fully featured smartphone, but don’t want to spend much and aren’t too fussed about apps and games, the 8S is without a doubt the one to go for.

TechCentral

HTC has, once again, made an excellent device. The 8S feels like a premium smartphone, yet without the premium price tag. It’s aesthetically pleasing, feels great in the hand and offers almost all of the functionality of higher-end devices. It deserves to sell in droves.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You'll probably be happier...

Actually, you're problems are so one of a kind I'd almost want to see some proof you actually had a Lumia 920. Not to be that much of a skeptic, but I've heard of resets, I can believe a bricked phone. But not showing sent or received messages? That's one of a kind.

What carrier? When did you get yours? Can you take a screenshot for us, or a picture of the "bricked" screen?

Actually I took it to the store and they pressed some buttons on the side like they were playing the Ocarina and it's working (fingers crossed). The manager thinks it's a WP8 issue because the OS is new, apparently they've had a few problems with them. But if it happens again they've said I might be able to exchange it for a different handset. I'd really rather not because I like the 920, but if this is going to be an ongoing problem, I'm not sure I can deal with it.

And, uhhh, because you're basically accusing me of lying about owning one:

photoon11-12-2012at17d6o85.jpg

Ragus

Banned
Just wait for the OTA patch, and if then the phone will still be a pain in the ass - exchange it. That's what I'm doing.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Actually I took it to the store and they pressed some buttons on the side like they were playing the Ocarina and it's working (fingers crossed). The manager thinks it's a WP8 issue because the OS is new, apparently they've had a few problems with them. But if it happens again they've said I might be able to exchange it for a different handset. I'd really rather not because I like the 920, but if this is going to be an ongoing problem, I'm not sure I can deal with it.

Sounds like the factory reset method I used. I didn't have the same issues though.

Metric, your phone is completely mirrored. I'd definitely exchange it for a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom