• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
so uh what is the point of kids corner if it still requires a password? I have a password set for my phone, turned on KC and it requires it there to, same password. no option to turn it off or make it different.

Milchjon

Wait, is there a witch hunt going on in the gaming side for people that seem to not hate the Xbox One? WTF o_O

Bish sounded like he had some extra information (IP? e-mail adress? I have no idea), but in some cases it seemed questionable.

Some posters go all out though. Some funny fanboy post histories out there.

frontieruk

Apparently its not enough anymore to like the games coming out for it and thus buy it, cuz if you do, you're an anti-consumer idiot. So everyone has to join their ill-conceived crusade.

At one time this sort of thing would of been frowned upon, gaf is getting more like game faqs month by month :(

Forgive me, I have sinned...

posting from my HTC one

that's exactly what's happening. you really nailed it. good job.

Can you explain what happened? I'm not trying to be an ass, I literally have no idea what happened--just that some juniors got banned.

From the few that I saw, their posts weren't really any worse than the worst of GAF fanboys, so I assume there is some other factor?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Can you explain what happened? I'm not trying to be an ass, I literally have no idea what happened--just that some juniors got banned.

From the few that I saw, their posts weren't really any worse than the worst of GAF fanboys, so I assume there is some other factor?

lastflowers works for Microsoft so there's a good chance he got singled out. It's a shame because I would consider him part of the community and not just some shill. maybe he should've erred on the side of caution?

I don't know about others but there was a lot of juniors with <10 posts trying to play it down. conspiracy? definitely.

lastflowers works for Microsoft so there's a good chance he got singled out. It's a shame because I would consider him part of the community and not just some shill. maybe he should've erred on the side of caution?

I don't know about others but there was a lot of juniors with <10 posts trying to play it down. conspiracy? definitely.

Gotcha. Almost forgot about the new batch of juniors.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, that's not good. I'm sure there are Sony juniors as well bashing MS.

frontieruk

Booooooourns ;)

Nice looking phone.

I could of saved £100 and had a 920, but it just didn't feel as nice in my hand, and like Brot I've got bored of the design Nokia are using.

Also after my cycling accident couple years back I can't lift :-(

Lol

Yeah, that's not good. I'm sure there are Sony juniors as well bashing MS.

There'll be a lot of crow to be eaten, when the same policy for 2nd hand games is announced by Sony, which to be honest is the real sticking issue, ok the online always is a bit sucky, but generally people put the console in their home hook it up and its left until it dies or is superseded.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
so uh what is the point of kids corner if it still requires a password? I have a password set for my phone, turned on KC and it requires it there to, same password. no option to turn it off or make it different.

I pointed this out like 40 pages ago. It's ridiculous. I could've sworn it was different when I first used kids corner.

Samsung announced the Lumia EOS killer, guys.

Galaxy-S4-Zoom.png

That's what happens when you listen to brot.

Hey! I don't know what you mean, but that's not nice!

Apparently its not enough anymore to like the games coming out for it and thus buy it, cuz if you do, you're an anti-consumer idiot. So everyone has to join their ill-conceived crusade.

It's getting pretty nut on gaming side. Lastflower always put disclaimer on the fact that he work at Microsoft.

People post absolutely insane, name calling crap and mod just post right below it and not bat an eye. I got ban for calling someone fanboy, because it has negative connotation.

MarkusRJR

Ended up getting an Ativ S. Absolutely loving it so far. I'm just looking for a good podcast app that can stream (without actually saving the podcast to the device). What's the best?

Commodore

Samsung announced the Lumia EOS killer, guys.

Galaxy-S4-Zoom.png

Sweet mercy, I know to gain the possibility of a decent portable shooter you have to increase the sensor size, but dat's ugly. From what I've seen of Nokia's EOS, I could easily live with that design, especially given that extra nice camera functionality.

Troll

Banned
Ended up getting an Ativ S. Absolutely loving it so far. I'm just looking for a good podcast app that can stream (without actually saving the podcast to the device). What's the best?

We've needed someone with the Ativ S in this thread. One of the guys at WP Central uses it as his main because he just likes it the most out of all the form factors.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Nice, my brother has an Ativ and he likes it. Also check for updates, I think Samsung may have pushed some recently.

MarkusRJR

We've needed someone with the Ativ S in this thread. One of the guys at WP Central uses it as his main because he just likes it the most out of all the form factors.
It's incredible. It's massive 4.8" screen is crazy good and makes typing so much better than the 3.8" Lumia 610 I used before this. The battery life lasted me the entire day on first charge with LTE on the entire day. plus now that Paypal is supported on WP8 I can actually buy games and apps. I also have loaded on 10 or so gigs from Xbox Music onto my 32gb microSD card. The phone is also really lightweight but it feels a bit mid tier due to it being plastic. Still feels good in the hand though.

So my youngest brother wants to get a phone, He wanted an iPhone or a Blackberry 10 Device, but after explaining to him how much things cost per month and how the cellphone market works in Canada (and that this is his first phone and he is only entering Grade 9 and my parents would be paying for it) I have explained to him to look at some of the pay as you go phones the various carriers have.

So today, he comes to me and shows me the Lumis 520 which he found for $150 for a pay as you go on telus. Now, I have a Lumia 920 and he's used my phone before so he knows the OS, and I know that since the 520 has only 512mB of memory he will only have 3/4 of the apps available to him, and I know that since its an 8gB device he can't put apps on the memory card.

But I figured I might as well get some thoughts on the actual phone from the other people who have one just so I can be well informed to help him out if he needs it. Is there anything I should know about low end Windows Phones that I wouldn't know being an owner of a higher end one?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So my youngest brother wants to get a phone, He wanted an iPhone or a Blackberry 10 Device, but after explaining to him how much things cost per month and how the cellphone market works in Canada (and that this is his first phone and he is only entering Grade 9 and my parents would be paying for it) I have explained to him to look at some of the pay as you go phones the various carriers have.

So today, he comes to me and shows me the Lumis 520 which he found for $150 for a pay as you go on telus. Now, I have a Lumia 920 and he's used my phone before so he knows the OS, and I know that since the 520 has only 512mB of memory he will only have 3/4 of the apps available to him, and I know that since its an 8gB device he can't put apps on the memory card.

But I figured I might as well get some thoughts on the actual phone from the other people who have one just so I can be well informed to help him out if he needs it. Is there anything I should know about low end Windows Phones that I wouldn't know being an owner of a higher end one?
i have a 620. OS runs fine, only a few games here and there you can't play. With SD card support, using that for media, 8 gb internal is more than enough for plenty of apps.

and the 520 i believe has no front camera or flash.

stktt

Banned

Unless he's interested in playing graphically intense games (or Temple Run), the vast majority of apps work with 512mB devices. Internal storage might be a bigger issue, but I have multiple games installed and still have over 2GB of storage left on my 620.

Unless he's interested in playing graphically intense games (or Temple Run), the vast majority of apps work with 512mB devices. Internal storage might be a bigger issue, but I have multiple games installed and still have over 2GB of storage left on my 620.

Halo will also be playable on 512mb devices. Which is pretty awesome.

dLMN8R

Yikes, glad I've stayed away from the gaming side the last few days!

I'll buy lastflowers lunch or something :p

Yeah, it was pretty funny from Apple. Thank god I'm prepared for both.
I'm glad Apple doesn't do video streams. So Xbox E3 video on one monitor + live blog from WWDC on monitor two.

Maybe I'll do a little work on my laptop during the madness :)

Klocker

7 mos I've been been sitting here waiting for it to come to ATT.... :(

Wait, is there a witch hunt going on in the gaming side for people that seem to not hate the Xbox One? WTF o_O

There isn't. Obviously the mods won't say for certain what criteria a poster has to meet to be banned for shilling, but they research accounts before they drop the hammer.

Also, if he's not perma'd, then he obviously didn't get banned for being a shill. But you have to be pretty crazy to be defending MS these days in Gaming, the Xbone's DRM scheme is wholly indefensible and one of the worst anti-consumer corporate power grabs I've ever seen in consumer electronics.

There isn't. Obviously the mods won't say for certain what criteria a poster has to meet to be banned for shilling, but they research accounts before they drop the hammer.

Also, if he's not perma'd, then he obviously didn't get banned for being a shill. But you have to be pretty crazy to be defending MS these days in Gaming, the Xbone's DRM scheme is wholly indefensible and one of the worst anti-consumer corporate power grabs I've ever seen in consumer electronics.

Can you explain to me why its so indefensible? Besides the 24 hour check in (which admittedly sucks) what makes MS's policies so different from any other companies DRM policies? In reality it actually seems a bit more lax that most in terms of how much control you have over the license to software you buy digitally, ie you can trade it in, or give it to a friend. If I'm fundamentally misunderstanding something here, please explain it to me. :)

As a stopgap between a partly physical, and ultimately all digital future, it seems quite sensible. But then again, maybe I'm misunderstanding something here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom