• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

omg_mjd

Anyone here with a Lumia 720 (or any phone with Gorilla Glass 2) notice any scratches on their screen?

I've kept mine naked for a week and prefer to keep it that way but I'm paranoid since I usually put screen protectors on my devices.

Gorilla Glass is scratch-resistant, not scratch-proof. I've heard way, way too many stories of scratches on screens to not use screen protectors on my phones.

In fact I noticed the other day I've somehow gouged deep scratches into my screen protector and I don't even know how. So I guess I'm glad it's the screen protector getting trashed, not my screen!

omg_mjd

Thanks! Looks like I better get a screen protector then.

On another note, this 720 has insane battery life for such a slim device. I had 25% left after 24 hours unplugged (which included a couple of hours of playing games and streaming podcasts).

It's just too bad that the price for this is a sealed battery. But then again I don't think I've ever kept a smartphone longer than 2 years. I'll probably be shopping around for a new phone by the time the battery starts to fade (though I hope this won't be the case.)

NeOak

Fuck you Nokia for not adding a microSD slot to the 920.

I had to erase a shitload of stuff to be able to record videos of stuff during my vacations.

If the EOS comes without that slot, the whole design team should be shot.

smerfy

Banned
hello everyone! thought I'd introduce myself.

Proud htc 8x owner...in blue. Been on wp8 since launch.

Got a few people to switch over. Definitely enjoying the experience and can't wait to see what's coming down the line. EOS, the second wave of flagships, windows blue update. Exciting times :)

Fuck you Nokia for not adding a microSD slot to the 920.

I had to erase a shitload of stuff to be able to record videos of stuff during my vacations.

If the EOS comes without that slot, the whole design team should be shot.

Do you have the storage app? I freed up 7 GB with it.

MarkusRJR

For some reason my WP isn't using PayPal to pay for apps/games (or at least I think so). The purchases don't show up in my PayPal history. I'm honestly really confused... Is it automatically using carrier billing despite me setting it to PayPal?

Could someone help?

For some reason my WP isn't using PayPal to pay for apps/games (or at least I think so). The purchases don't show up in my PayPal history. I'm honestly really confused... Is it automatically using carrier billing despite me setting it to PayPal?

Could someone help?

When you buy app and at confirmation screen it should show you what method of payment you are using. I have my set to PayPal and it show PayPal as payment. There's a link on the bottom that let you switch payment type. I am on 920 and At&t.

kharma45

YouTube back in the Store now... as that shitty web link.

Also saw on Reddit Microsoft has contacted that guy who bought that Lumia 920 with the notification centre and want it back

http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/1fyww5/ebayd_lumia_game_over/

Phone is going bye bye, got my phone calls and take down requests (I would much rather avoid legal matters of this nature). But atleast they are rembursing me for what I paid and a new phone.. w00t!!!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My brother in law has two issues with his 920 I can't figure out:

-sound won't play when he uses the Zune app for music.

-notifications won't come up for rooms messages

A restart hasn't helped. Any ideas?

Gorilla Glass is scratch-resistant, not scratch-proof. I've heard way, way too many stories of scratches on screens to not use screen protectors on my phones.

In fact I noticed the other day I've somehow gouged deep scratches into my screen protector and I don't even know how. So I guess I'm glad it's the screen protector getting trashed, not my screen!

Hehe. I learned my lesson with my Lumia 900. The screen is much better than plastic screens when it comes to not getting scratches, but it still does if you don't treat it like a baby.

Good thing matte screen protectors hide them.

hadareud

The Translator
I tried screen protectors, expensive ones too, but decided that they are worse than scratches.

There's a couple of scratches on my 920 but I can live with them.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I got a bodygardz protector on and I hate it. I'm losing visibility on my screen, I can tell in really detailed games where I can't see small things as well. Only reason I put it on is because I found small hairline scratches and I have no idea where they came from.

Milchjon

I tried screen protectors, expensive ones too, but decided that they are worse than scratches.

I hate screen protectors more than scratches.

If I see someone with a screen protector, I tend to think less of them :-/

Matte screen protectors tend to mess with detail on high pixel density screens.

A similar screen protector on a 120~ PPI laptop would only give you the positives of such a protector, but on a phone in excess of 300 PPI? I can live with that on my phone, having a 4.3" WVGA screen (and hence pixels rather large), but...

The other kind of screen protector... they're basically good for... not scratching the actual glass.

MarkusRJR

When you buy app and at confirmation screen it should show you what method of payment you are using. I have my set to PayPal and it show PayPal as payment. There's a link on the bottom that let you switch payment type. I am on 920 and At&t.
That's what I've been doing though. It just doesn't show up on my PayPal account's history and it's making me worry. Is it possibly related to the fact I don't have any balance on my PayPal and I'm using it to transfer funds?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have a ghost armor on and it seems alright. I would still rather not have it on but I also don't want scratches. When I get closer to thinking I might upgrade I will just peel it off and not worry about it.

I should of bought the 920 :(

r3pAzAK.jpg

;) They always come back.

Milchjon

I guess MS wanting back that phone confirms the authenticity of the notification center.

After posting screenshots of the software running on the device, and accidentally revealing his cellphone number in the process, Wong was contacted by Microsoft's legal team. Microsoft locked the phone remotely and requested that Wong take down his photos from his Flickr account. "Apparently the guy who owned it lost it on a bus. It was then picked up and sold," he says. Instead of pursuing Wong, Microsoft has offered to reimburse him for the cost of the device and also ship him a replacement phone. "I was incredibly surprised at the lack of intimidation and even more surprised at their accommodation," says Wong.

Paid shill!

You've obviously never tried the SGP Steinheil Ultra Crystal screen protectors then. They are the only ones I use now. I've tried so many but I always come back to those in the end.

Lucius86

Banned
So a single line of pixels on my Lumia 920 got stuck in purple. Went to my local Nokia care centre, and because the screen damage wasn't caused by myself they have to send the device away back to Nokia for a warranty repair, even though they could do it themselves if the damage was caused by me (admittedly I would be £160 worse off too).

No phone for 2 weeks. Shit sucks.

hadareud

The Translator
I've yet to Heil.

Never heard of it, I've tried 2 different ones for the 920 after I had a scratch, but they both looked completely awful. Not because of bubbles or anything, but because they both were too small. I suspect that that's because of the curved class and I also suspect that there isn't any screen protector that doesn't look awful on the 920 because of that.

I tried a liquid screen protector and haven't had any new scratches since (probably for 3 months or so). Difficult to tell whether that's because of the liquid or because I've been a bit more careful since, but so far so good.

Milchjon

I think it's pretty crazy that Nokia thinks a slight reduction in weight and thickness, an improved camera and a bit of metal means they can charge 200€ more for the 925 than the 920.

Especially considering the fact that it loses wireless charging, looks much worse and costs just as much as a HTC One, which, no matter how much I prefer Nokia/WP, seems like a ridiculous comparison spec-wise.

Edit:

Just for brot, a close up of the 925's screen

hadareud

The Translator
Nobody answered me yet why pentile is much better on a 1080p screen compared to a 720/768p screen.

I also couldn't be arsed to look it up, because I'm a lazy cunt.

Please explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom