• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

Yeah I'd get a 620 over the 800 too. Design might not be as nice but hey, it's a WP8 device!

Cheers. I think I will wait it out then. Looks like a cool little phone and just what I want. The Live/Win 8 stuff will be nice but I am not a power user for phones, so the 620 should fill my need.

MCD

Upcoming lineup for Xbox on Windows Phone 8 gets revealed:

Asphalt 7: Heat
Take on the world in six different game modes in tracks across the globe, driving the most amazing cars by prestigious makers like Audi, Lamborghini and Aston Martin.

Fairway Solitaire
Unique gameplay combines solitaire with golf to create an experience unlike any other. Play sequential cards to create long runs. Long runs make long drives, and long drives make better scores!

Gravity Guy 2
You are the master of gravity! Reverse the polarity of the world to manipulate your surroundings and reach the end.

Ice Age Village
Scrat's hunt for his favorite acorn has opened a crack in the earth's crust, sending the animals scurrying for safety. Help them in this heroic challenge and get ready for fun and surprises along the way!

Jetpack Joyride
Join Barry Steakfries as he breaks in to a secret laboratory to commandeer the experimental jetpacks from the clutches of science evildoers.

N.O.V.A 3
The Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance receives a desperate plea from Yelena to come to Earth. Once again, the hero must rise to save mankind!

Shark Dash
Shark Dash is a fun and engaging game that takes the physics puzzler to fun new heights with a unique cartoonish style starring funny little bath toys!

venne

If Microsoft was in position to drop their services from Google products, they totally would. I mean at this point, it's just a matter of time if WP is successful.

Difference being Microsoft doesn't portrait itself as some benevolent entity.

Google is a fraud.

Totakeke

dropping support for Microsoft's propitiatory bullshit is the opposite of evil.

“Google Sync was designed to allow access to Google Mail, Calendar and Contacts via the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync protocol,” Panchapakesan writes. “With the recent launch of CardDAV, Google now offers similar access via IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV, making it possible to build a seamless sync experience using open protocols … In addition to Google Sync, we’re discontinuing Google Calendar Sync on December 14, 2012.” IMAP and CardDAV? Seriously?

Google themselves won't stop supporting EAS if it means keeping their users.

Oddly, Google will continue providing EAS for paid customers on Google Apps, as well as government and education customers. And it will allow devices that are already configured for EAS to continue working. So this begs the question … if you’re going to continue supporting EAS for millions of users, why cut of EAS support for millions of other users?

zatara

anyone else wish their start screen could have the tiles floating by default like they do when you are moving them around or resizing them?

dLMN8R

I might be getting a new phone this weekend. Should I buy the 8X or 920?

After using both for a while (but owning the 920), I'm extremely happy with the 920.

-Much better camera
-Better-supported nokia apps
-Twice the storage
-Half the price
-Better screen (including super sensitive touch so I can use it with gloves on, which I've already done quite a bit)

I got used to the size and weight really quickly. I wouldn't ever want to give up the advantages to the 920 for a lighter and thinner phone.

stktt

Banned
After using both for a while (but owning the 920), I'm extremely happy with the 920.

-Much better camera
-Better-supported nokia apps
-Twice the storage
-Half the price
-Better screen (including super sensitive touch so I can use it with gloves on, which I've already done quite a bit)

I got used to the size and weight really quickly. I wouldn't ever want to give up the advantages to the 920 for a lighter and thinner phone.

Sound good. I have a 900, so the weight shouldn't be too much of an issue.

bedlamite

For those using Whatsapp, the WP8 client is up. Not published in the store yet though, just go to their website and hit the download link.

I suppose I must be OK with the fact that I only use Google services for YouTube and that only. Gmail is secondary and just there for YT.

I think I know where Google's priorities are... They don't want a three-horse race, don't they?

I suppose I must be OK with the fact that I only use Google services for YouTube and that only. Gmail is secondary and just there for YT.

I think I know where Google's priorities are... They don't want a three-horse race, don't they?

Nope, its the reason they have been going out of their way as of recently to proclaim MS and Apple in bed together. I'd say that the only reason they are putting up with Apple is because of maketshare. Google, as a business, would prefer to be the only horse in the race. Same goes for Microsoft and Apple.

...Called it
Editorial: Does Windows Phone even have a chance without Google?

My buddy who uses Gmail was thinking of getting an Ativ. Should he even bother?

It depends on what Google means by:

Google Sync will be fully supported for people who have paid for a Google Apps account for business, government, or education. For consumers, Google says that Sync will no longer be available on new accounts beginning on January 30th, 2013 — but it will still work for users who have already set it up.

Although I believe that If he gets it either this month or next month and sets it up, he should be fine. Worst case scenario is that he creates a MS Account and forwards all his gmail to the MS Account.

wp_ss_20121215_0001.png

So I am now 1/2 done on my game. What i'm finding interesting is all of the little design decisions that have to be taken into account; especially around how the buttons need to be designed around. It's interesting, especially since I'm new to the platform as well. It's giving me a greater appreciation for how MS set up the Metro design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom