• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedge

I still hate how Nokia has exclusive apps like ESPN Hub and ESPN fantasy football even though I have a Nokia 920. Third party apps like that should be available on all Windows Phones to build the eco system. This is artificially created fragmentation.
That too. It makes me appreciate having a Nokia, but its not good for the platform as a whole imo.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
the ESPN hub app is a piece of shit anyway, not as bad as the other ESPN app though, but still sucks.

joshschw

That too. It makes me appreciate having a Nokia, but its not good for the platform as a whole imo.

Nokia, and similarly other OEMs, have an interest in keeping some goodies to themselves. Verizon, however, does not. No one is switching carriers to play Halo Mobile a few weeks early. People may however choose Nokia over HTC if Nokia has some cool exclusive apps.

this_guy

Nokia, and similarly other OEMs, have an interest in keeping some goodies to themselves. Verizon, however, does not. No one is switching carriers to play Halo Mobile a few weeks early. People may however choose Nokia over HTC if Nokia has some cool exclusive apps.

But when people scream about Android's fragmentation problem, there really isn't one. As a consumer I want fantasy football on my smartphone. On Android it doesn't matter whether I'm on 2.3 Gingerbread or 4.2 Jelly Bean, but I have my fantasy football app.

hadareud

The Translator
But when people scream about Android's fragmentation problem, there really isn't one. As a consumer I want fantasy football on my smartphone. On Android it doesn't matter whether I'm on 2.3 Gingerbread or 4.2 Jelly Bean, but I have my fantasy football app.

Do you also have Chrome, Google Now and all the other latest stuff that Google issue?

Nope.

Those are core apps. And there's hundreds of other things that won't work on 2.3. I remember it well from when I had an Android flagship phone that didn't get updated anymore after 10 months because the manufacturer couldn't be arsed.

That's actual fragmentation. On Windows Phone you'll get all the Nokia exclusives after a timed period. Apps that wouldn't be there at all if Nokia weren't paying developers for them.

this_guy

Do you also have Chrome, Google Now and all the other latest stuff that Google issue?

Nope.

Those are core apps. Actual fragmentation. On Windows Phone you'll get all the Nokia exclusives after a timed period. Apps that wouldn't be there at all if Nokia weren't paying developers for them.

Core apps vs apps doesn't matter to me - an app is still an app. Google Now is nice to have, but I gave it up to try out Windows Phone with the Nokia 920 only after I found out there is an official fantasy football app. Different apps matter to different people, and fantasy football is bigger than all of us.

Talon

What? Garbage app running on 2.3 versus a newer app running on 4.2 are exactly the same?

hadareud

The Translator
heh

Don't get me wrong, it's frustrating to not be able to get all the apps everywhere. But it's a case of waiting a few months vs not having them at all if it weren't for Nokia.

the live tile never works.

Oh yeah, I bad it small and forgot about that.

I pretty much just use it to check scores, and it's perfect for that. Loads up instantly, keeps my league spot on the last one I had open (MLB) and puts myESPN favorite teams right at the top.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Oh yeah, I bad it small and forgot about that.

I pretty much just use it to check scores, and it's perfect for that. Loads up instantly, keeps my league spot on the last one I had open (MLB) and puts myESPN favorite teams right at the top.
i just use mlb.com for mlb scores.

Core apps vs apps doesn't matter to me - an app is still an app. Google Now is nice to have, but I gave it up to try out Windows Phone with the Nokia 920 only after I found out there is an official fantasy football app. Different apps matter to different people, and fantasy football is bigger than all of us.

yeah man, it's really inconvenient to use the mobile site when I could be using a nice web-wrapper. Especially when ESPN's mobile site is garbage.

I think if the 1020 had an updated cpu/gpu and a 1080p screen I'd sell my 920 and upgrade. At $699 though, I can't do it.

crazy as it sounds, if they made a Lumia with the EOS tech and a phablet sized screen I'd easily pay $1000 off contract.

I think if the 1020 had an updated cpu/gpu and a 1080p screen I'd sell my 920 and upgrade. At $699 though, I can't do it.

crazy as it sounds, if they made a Lumia with the EOS tech and a phablet sized screen I'd easily pay $1000 off contract.

Supposedly they are making a Windows 8 Pro Tablet

I still hate how Nokia has exclusive apps like ESPN Hub and ESPN fantasy football even though I have a Nokia 920. Third party apps like that should be available on all Windows Phones to build the eco system. This is artificially created fragmentation.

For the nth time, if Nokia has exclusive apps or games, you can be sure they also paid for the development. The apps and games are going to be available for other phones later on.

this_guy

For the nth time, if Nokia has exclusive apps or games, you can be sure they also paid for the development. The apps and games are going to be available for other phones later on.

ESPN Fantasy Football was available last year, but as far as I know it's still exclusive to Nokia.

Hey. Well said. If Nokia didn't pay and help develop the apps, the apps won't exist in the first place.

I'm actually glad that we've got Nokia onboard the Windows Phone train. Without it, we might be seeing Windows Phone canned.

Any users (perhaps only UK) having trouble updating apps? I checked the error code and folks on WPCentral who had experienced it before seemed to all get hit at once. So I assume it's a problem on MS end. Just wanted to make sure.

Jallopy

Any users (perhaps only UK) having trouble updating apps? I checked the error code and folks on WPCentral who had experienced it before seemed to all get hit at once. So I assume it's a problem on MS end. Just wanted to make sure.

I'm experiencing errors when trying to install apps. From the good 'ol US, by the way.

Nero3000

925 sample shots

QC5ttsC.jpg

v8LT7A3.jpg

PLX5FT1.jpg

ElNino

If you happen to live in the US. :p

ElNino

Pretty much. The rest of the world cares about the football where the ball is actually played moved with feet all 90 minutes.

Or like MURICANs like to call it: Soccer.
To be fair, I do like (American) Football even though I don't live in the US, but I haven't played fantasy football in a while and I'm sure there more than a few people outside of the US that wouldn't care about it either.

NeOak

To be fair, I do like (American) Football even though I don't live in the US, but I haven't played fantasy football in a while and I'm sure there more than a few people outside of the US that wouldn't care about it either.

I live in the US. Never was able to get into it. The whole "egg is moved, measure how many yards, moved again, measure again" mechanic is just... Nevermind, too off topic.

Even with 64GB, Its still too small. That phone needs a microSD slot with UHS-1 support.

Zhuk86

Banned
Lumia 1020 is amazing the technology and engineering is incredible, Nokia is the most exciting smartphone player today, Microsoft is lucky to have them. Can't wait to see what is released in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom