• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

rudy is not happy

and he is right. nokia should had told him that an official vine app is coming

https://vine.co/v/h73dvrH7dQK

If you decide to make a third party app of a first party service, especially if its not available, you can't whine when an official version shows up. Cool thing is if its actually better than the official app, I'd gladly use it instead. There's third party apps that fill a void, but happen to be a hallow shell of what an official app will bring to the table, and then there's third party apps that take whats available with official versions and add even more. To me, that's what third party apps should be.

ElNino

Hnnnnnnngggggggg, I want it. DAT camera. Thankfully it isn't in Canada so I don't have to worry about it :(

Pretty amazing tech.

edit: apparently it will come to Canada. Not sure when or what carrier though (probably Rogers)
You know this will be on Rogers sooner rather than later. Maybe we'll even get the first batches before AT&T like we did the 900 and 920.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
On one of their articles, it said that the 920 didn't deserve the pureview name. OIS was a legit step forward for phones. Ask HTC and then watch in the next few years when Apple/Samsung introduce it in their phones.

stktt

Banned
I HATE this guy, not Elop obviously. He looks like a smug drunk man who forgot to shave. BTW, this is the guy who said that point and shooters already have the 1020's features.

Good old Nilay Patel. The only thing worse would have been another interview with Vlad.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was watching On the Verge the other day and I gotta say: iOS7 and the Verge intros are a really close fit. I think Apple deliberately chose to style their OS after the Verge website in order to stay in their good graces. They didn't have to, but they did.

So, even more than the new hardware (the idea of the 1020 is cool, but the design of the 920 was the main reason I switched to WP, and that's been compromised on the 1020) I think all of the major releases and updates for popular apps lately are really helping WP8 catch up. I just powered up my old iPhone, and the only app on there missing from WP8 that I used regularly is Flipboard. And now that's coming soon. Plus, finally a usable Yelp app! Woo! .......except the Yelp update was too late for me personally. First child was just born, won't be going out to any trendy places to eat for the conceivable future. Hey, maybe it will help me find some good takeout. Oh I totally gotta go to Oki Dog over the weekend.

So this month I'm going to separate myself from my parents phone plan and start paying for my own phone (my personal choice, they're not forcing me too, they're actually telling me to stay on the plan they don't mind paying for my phone, but I just want to remove that burden from them and really want to get a Windows Phone, so I decided to just do this)

All my friends and family members are starting to get me worried, I'm going to T-Mobile so I can get the 925 (I find it more appealing then the 928), however everyone is telling me that the service for T-Mobile sucks, any T-Mobile user/ex user here want to vouch for or against that claim?

EDIT: Actually looking back at the last few pages, that 1020 sounds amazing. Might wait for that, was kind of afraid that it looks ugly because of the giant yet stunning camera, but looking at the pictures, it's still stylish. Anyone know what the release date estimate for the 1020 is?

So this month I'm going to separate myself from my parents phone plan and start paying for my own phone (my personal choice, they're not forcing me too, they're actually telling me to stay on the plan they don't mind paying for my phone, but I just want to remove that burden from them and really want to get a Windows Phone, so I decided to just do this)

All my friends and family members are starting to get me worried, I'm going to T-Mobile so I can get the 925 (I find it more appealing then the 928), however everyone is telling me that the service for T-Mobile sucks, any T-Mobile user/ex user here want to vouch for or against that claim?

EDIT: Actually looking back at the last few pages, that 1020 sounds amazing. Might wait for that, was kind of afraid that it looks ugly because of the giant yet stunning camera, but looking at the pictures, it's still stylish. Anyone know what the release date estimate for the 1020 is?

service depends on coverage. if coverage in your area is bad, then the service sucks. so if the people telling you this live in your area and had T-Mobile service in your area and didn't like it, you should listen to them. or move to somewhere where T-Mobile is good.

GoxRx

Hey guys, anyone here has an opinion about the nokia lumia 620? seems cool and I need a new phone because my android it's broken now

venne

service depends on coverage. if coverage in your area is bad, then the service sucks. so if the people telling you this live in your area and had T-Mobile service in your area and didn't like it, you should listen to them. or move to somewhere where T-Mobile is good.

Verizon gets lots of praise for its coverage and all of my friends are on it, but when I switched to them I couldn't get a signal in my house. Had to switch back to AT&T.

Anecdotes are worthless. Check the coverage map or, better yet, find someone with that carrier's device and actually test it out where you plan to use it.

Heretic

I loved T-Mobile. I switched to AT&T in order to get the 920. I regret the change but I don't regret my phone.

stktt

Banned
Hey guys, anyone here has an opinion about the nokia lumia 620? seems cool and I need a new phone because my android it's broken now

I've been using mine for a few months without any issues. They're similar in price to an unlocked 520 now, too.

At this point are we going to be surprise with any more bonehead decision by Microsoft.

And yeah for GDR2 adding features back, FM and functioning Zune music, didn't we already have those in WP7. Blue delay to 2014 is a big joke. Forever behind.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't know why that's a delay all of a sudden when we've known that that's when it will come out for around half a year, if not longer.

It's OK guys, the head of WP is now in charge of everything Windows.

It's gonna be fine!

It's certainly going to be better for WP interests at least. The move to being under one umbrella should help development time for the two OSes other than big Windows. It won't change anything in the short term. The move of the head of MSR back towards 'long-time OS work' indicates to me that we are splitting the 'core' from big windows and moving it to its own separate entity. As a result, all three OSes would be 'customers' of that group, and development of the core and the growth of WinRT would be abstracted from big windows. This should definitely help speed up development times for Phone and Xbox.

This is all speculation, take it with truckloads of salt. It's just what I would do.

Delays are probably because Microsoft will introduce Windows Phone 8 RT to compete with WP8 and further confuse and turn people further off Windows.

Is it the guy that's in charge of WP now, or the guy who was in charge of WP now after they gave the boot to the other guy.

He was in charge of Engineering, and they became in charge of the entire WP org after Andy Lees moved around.

He's a pretty nice guy, I've talked with him a couple of times. Very motivational. Not sure what was up with that Verge article--maybe he is not so nice to the press.

this_guy

Seriously.. Doesn't Android get shit on for stuff like this? Smh

*edit. I see this is only for the US. Lol

I still hate how Nokia has exclusive apps like ESPN Hub and ESPN fantasy football even though I have a Nokia 920. Third party apps like that should be available on all Windows Phones to build the eco system. This is artificially created fragmentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom