• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we have an idea of when MS will implement 1080 display support? I'd love to throw away my woefully unsupported 8X at the end of the year, but won't be doing so for a sub-1080 phone.

I keep hitting the volume button to check whatsapp background audio

it's really gone

sniff

pour-one-out.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Quick request. Can someone capture and upload a cinemagraph for sharing? I have the update with the high quality capture, but i get an error when uploading to Nokia servers. Trying to figure out if its me and I need to reinstall the app.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Quick request. Can someone capture and upload a cinemagraph for sharing? I have the update with the high quality capture, but i get an error when uploading to Nokia servers. Trying to figure out if its me and I need to reinstall the app.

I think there are some problems with cinemagraph at the moment. Seems to also be pulled from the store since I haven't even had the chance to update it yet.

Yeah Cinegraph was updated for 720p gifs but uploading to Nokia servers is broken. Gifs look much improved though.

Nokia needs to jump on making Cinegraphs social. Release the app on android and ios but of course make Lumia gifs a higher bitrate. After using 6sec today, I really don't see why cinemagraphs can't be as big or bigger than vine/IG vids.

kharma45

Instance is actually a pretty good app. Too bad instagram isn't really for me.

Yeah I tried to get in to using Instagram as the app is as you say great but it's just a social network that I don't see the appeal of. Much prefer Twitter for sharing random titbits.

dLMN8R

Does the official Vine app automatically integrate with your Twitter friends? Or do you need to separately add friends to it like you need to in 6sec?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ok, I'm considering that huawei. A few questions: does it work with at&t bands? Will I be able to log in with my MS account and use Xbox music pass with this and my 920 concurrently?

Ok, I'm considering that huawei. A few questions: does it work with at&t bands? Will I be able to log in with my MS account and use Xbox music pass with this and my 920 concurrently?

I don't know intricacies of the music pass, but more than likely yes. I have signed into probably 5 or 6 accounts at once at multiple times. Right now I have my MS account on 4(?) phones.

scently

So what's the deal with the Lumia 1020 in terms of product slot and timing? I mean, in 3 months time we will probably see the next mainline Lumia; a true successor to the 920, probably with a quad core processor and a 1080p screen. It almost definitely won't come with the 41mp sensor. So the thing is, I am in a bit of a dilemma. I would like to upgrade my 920 to a phone with a camera like the 1020 but it is essentially the 920 with a 41mp camera and I would also like to have 1080p and quad core which will most likely come at the end of the year. Personally I wish they would have included a 1080p screen and a quad core processor but, from the look of things, it looks like their strategy is to launch a mainline handset at the end of the year, with a big sensor version coming the next summer.

Anyway, as it is, I will probably get the Honami as my cameraphone fix for this year then upgrade my 920 next year with the big sensor refresh of the next mainline Lumia.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nokia would've loved to put a 1080p screen and a quad core processor on the 1020, but MS wasn't ready. They probably had to push MS hard as heck just to get 2gb of RAM in there, since that's beyond the current windows phone spec.

That said, it looks like even Google is realizing that its not a hardware battle now, if the Moto x rumors are true. But even in software, MS is moving too slowly. So Nokia is innovating in camera tech instead, and the 1020 is still a stunning piece of phone tech because they fought through the limitations that MS placed. 2gb RAM plus custom camera software is Nokia pushing the platform forward dragging MS along.

derFeef

Don't get angry at me for saying this, but I got a galaxy tab 2 for my birthday (months later, lol) and I can't even imagine having that OS on a phone - it's just so inconsistent, I can't make it look any good.

The tablet is nice though :)

I've been on-and-off considering getting a couple of nexus devices to use them more often. Probably will buy the moto-x off contract to test it out for a while

hadareud

The Translator
Soooooo angry.

My gf had one and the UI is just dreadful. The galaxy touchwiz (if that's what it's called) is horrendous. It's also slow and laggy (as fuck), which is why she decided to get rid of it and get a Surface. Which made me buy a Surface too, in the end. It's nicely built though, doesn't feel cheap at all. Very sturdy plastic. And of course it's always nice to have a different ecosystem around the place.
--------------

Anyway I came here to post this: http://www.wpcentral.com/thoughts-swapping-out-my-nokia-lumia-chassis-grey

Thinking hard of doing this and going grey.

scently

Oh dont't get me wrong. I got the HTC HD7 at launch and the 920 at launch too. I have used all the major OS (I had an iPAD and I had the HTC One X) so I know the value of WP8 compared to other OS out there. The thing is, I love having the latest and greatest, and while I don't really take a lot of pics or shoot a lot of vids, I still think a quality camera is something to have in a phone but in this case, I can't justify upgrading just for the camera. What I would like is for Nokia to launch two handset during the fall release window; one as a mainline replacement for the 920 and another with the big sensor included. If they do this I will grab it at launch but I just don't see them announcing an update of the 1020 just 3-4 months after introducing it. Whether or not they do it, I will still be getting the Honami, its just that my plans was to get the Honami for my other line while the big sensor Lumia would be my daily driver handset.

hwalker84

Soooooo angry.

My gf had one and the UI is just dreadful. The galaxy touchwiz (if that's what it's called) is horrendous. It's also slow and laggy (as fuck), which is why she decided to get rid of it and get a Surface. Which made me buy a Surface too, in the end. It's nicely built though, doesn't feel cheap at all. Very sturdy plastic. And of course it's always nice to have a different ecosystem around the place.
--------------

Anyway I came here to post this: http://www.wpcentral.com/thoughts-swapping-out-my-nokia-lumia-chassis-grey

Thinking hard of doing this and going grey.
Surface isn't plastic.

clav

Don't get angry at me for saying this, but I got a galaxy tab 2 for my birthday (months later, lol) and I can't even imagine having that OS on a phone - it's just so inconsistent, I can't make it look any good.

The tablet is nice though :)

betrayal

Commodore

Uh, crap. Was thinking of skipping the 1020 for the later stuff but suddenly AT&T jumped on the new upgrade options TMo brought to the table with "AT&T NEXT". Basically starting July 26th, you can trade in your current phone and get any new phone, splitting the cost over 20 payments over time, and any time you upgrade (which I'm not sure if you have to wait at least a year or you can simply trade for a new phone as any time) it resets the payments back to zero.

Engadget article explaining things

Interesting new direction at least. Couldn't stand having to wait two years to get a new device. At least there's an option now to upgrade earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cC9zG1MgTLs#at=80

PG2G

Uh, crap. Was thinking of skipping the 1020 for the later stuff but suddenly AT&T jumped on the new upgrade options TMo brought to the table with "AT&T NEXT". Basically starting July 26th, you can trade in your current phone and get any new phone, splitting the cost over 20 payments over time, and any time you upgrade (which I'm not sure if you have to wait at least a year or you can simply trade for a new phone as any time) it resets the payments back to zero.

Engadget article explaining things

Interesting new direction at least. Couldn't stand having to wait two years to get a new device. At least there's an option now to upgrade earlier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cC9zG1MgTLs#at=80

Doesn't really sound like that great of a deal to me, since AT&T's plans have always had the price of a subsidized phone bundled into to the plan. Seems like you'd be paying twice

Commodore

Doesn't really sound like that great of a deal to me, since AT&T's plans have always had the price of a subsidized phone bundled into to the plan. Seems like you'd be paying twice

I think the only thing I'm liking here, is really just the ability to get a new phone without having to pay the full price of a new phone up front, usually a good $600+ for the phones I'd want. Instead I'd have to pay 20-30$ per month. At the very least, before, I had to pay full price if I wanted a new phone before the upgrade period. Now I can just trade in and pay monthly for it over time. I'll be paying more for phones than the usual $200-300 subsidized upgrade cost, but I get to have the latest devices at an easier to swallow payment system. Mainly I get to be on the latest tech each year instead of feeling a crazy amount of envy for the new yearly device while I wait for that second year when I can upgrade.

I mean, dat gadget lust can't be good right?

PG2G

I understand, I just hate to pay for the subsidy built into the plan AND pay for a phone. Needs to be one or the other for me, so T-Mobile might get my money when my contract is up (if the phones dont suck)

Razdek

Banned
what is that? I can't readddd ur psssssst. evrting is so blarrry, so drnk write nao. our org is drnkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk all daaaaaiiiii

I know you guys are working hard and as fast as you can but doesn't it get discouraging to know that the platform is behind the others at the moment? I mean Blackberry, freakin' Blackberry is going to have better hardware and they're the most inept tech company around.

I know you guys are working hard and as fast as you can but doesn't it get discouraging to know that the platform is behind the others at the moment? I mean Blackberry, freakin' Blackberry is going to have better hardware and they're the most inept tech company around.

I actually wonder about that. Both Apple and Google accomplish way more with much smaller teams than what MS seems to be able to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom