• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

Why Nokia didn't pick the S4 Pro for the 920 is a bit baffling. And no, the Chinese 920T does not count. There are probably more KIN owners than Lumia 920T owners on this planet.

I don't think it was out at the time, or the version that was out didn't even have an integrated radio.

Has it actually been confirmed that the Lumia 920T uses the S4 Pro? You would think they would have used it in the Lumia 925/928 if it was supported.
According to this its the same SoC as the Lumia 920, not sure who started spreading that rumor last year: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/Lumia_920T/

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I edited my post a second ago. I simply forgot to respond to it.

This is true, but I genuinely thought they would stick to the airshare software solution they demoed. It seemed like they created that software specifically to avoid having to implement NFC, which all the Apple fanboys told me was too costly and pointless to bother with.

I don't think it was out at the time, or the version that was out didn't even have an integrated radio.

Has it actually been confirmed that the Lumia 920T uses the S4 Pro? You would think they would have used it in the Lumia 925/928 if it was supported.
According to this its the same SoC as the Lumia 920, not sure who started spreading that rumor last year: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/Lumia_920T/

The rumor was started by the Chinese carrier, who announced the phone with the Qualcomm MSM8960T SoC, instead of the standard MSM8960.

MCD

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/16/4527940/nokia-lumia-bluetooth-4-amber-update

Nokia is planning to issue a software update to its range of Lumia Windows Phone 8 devices that includes Bluetooth 4.0 support. Sources familiar with Nokia's plans have revealed to The Verge that the Bluetooth update will include Low Energy support for fitness devices like Fitbit, and a range of new accessories that Nokia is planning to release soon. We're told that the majority of Nokia's Lumia Windows Phone 8 range will be updated, including the Lumia 820 and 920. Most of Nokia's Windows Phone 8 devices include chipsets that support Bluetooth 4.0, but the option has not yet been enabled.

A recently leaked slide revealed Nokia plans to update its Lumia 520, 620, and 720 devices too. We understand that Nokia's new accessories will focus on combining the Bluetooth Low Energy support with the company's location services like Here Maps and Here Drive. The Bluetooth 4.0 update will be delivered to most devices as part of Nokia's "Amber" update in the coming weeks.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes, but Apple always shits on everything they don't have/support, until they do. What else is new?

The difference is that they always have one of the fastest SoCs on the market, be it on the CPU or on the GPU side. That's why spec bullshitting still matters, even when you mention Apple.

pIr5VgH.png

Compare the iPhone 5 with the One X (S4/Adreno 225) and you'll see where all of the currently available Windows Phones stand against the competition.

xeyCica.png

ZMIfmmS.png

nEL6Yso.png

I tried not to pick any too theoretical benchmarks, like fillrate tests.

Why Nokia didn't pick the S4 Pro for the 920 is a bit baffling. And no, the Chinese 920T does not count. There are probably more KIN owners than Lumia 920T owners on this planet.

I was taking the piss.

Though I was surprised about the resolution, I have to say. Will be funny to see the apple people declare that battery life is far more important than ppi, when for years all we've heard was retina this and retina that.

hey guys, not sure if this has been discussed here but jesus the FFC on the 8X sucks so bad. It was pitched as a wide angle cam so that it can capture more people in it but to me it looks like its just a software effect that just streches the image ...idk all the selfies shot vertical give a weird strech ..like a hores....it sucks. How are FFC shots on the 920?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
hey guys, not sure if this has been discussed here but jesus the FFC on the 8X sucks so bad. It was pitched as a wide angle cam so that it can capture more people in it but to me it looks like its just a software effect that just streches the image ...idk all the selfies shot vertical give a weird strech ..like a hores....it sucks. How are FFC shots on the 920?

The FFC isn't very good on the 920 either, I never use it really.

hadareud

The Translator
GDR2 is apparently rolling out on unbranded Ativ S phones.

Good stuff. Hopefully Amber is coming to the 920 before I go on holiday in a couple of weeks. I'd like to have the camera improvements then.

Tomorrow I'm going to check out the yellow 920 for the last time in person, before I make the final call, knowing fully well that this phone would be a total sidegrade, hardware-wise. Except for the camera, but even flip phones shit on the GN camera.

It's either the yellow one or the black one for 50 bucks less, because I'm thinking about replacing the shell down the line anyway.

dLMN8R

6sec works well for the most part, but it has some issues. One vine I recorded only had audio on the first of many segments. And sometimes if you try to do a stop-motion animation-type thing with quick taps of the screen, it just doesn't really work at all in my experience.

The "other" folder on my Lumia 820 is now 4.68 GB and my phone has 0.0 bytes of free space/internal memory. If I run a soft reset, will I permanently lose all my contacts? I don't really care about text messages, I can't even back them up to "the cloud" at this point.

kharma45

The "other" folder on my Lumia 820 is now 4.68 GB and my phone has 0.0 bytes of free space/internal memory. If I run a soft reset, will I permanently lose all my contacts? I don't really care about text messages, I can't even back them up to "the cloud" at this point.

Does the Nokia Storage app not help when you use it?

You'll lose your contacts if they're not backed up yeah.

are they associated with your accounts? Then you should be fine. You could download the windows phone sdk and try logging into your account on the emulator phone. Your contacts would then populate on that phone

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really wish there was a way to back up my game saves as I want to send my phone off for repair again but I do not want to lose all my progress :(

Now that Google is slowly but truly grasping what good design means, it's an really interesting time to have both platfoms. I always liked Google's approach to flat design, like they used it in Google Now and with the completely revamped Google Maps app (which came without the need of an OS update, btw) and the updated Google Play Web Store, it's looking pretty good.

a7qLPKf.jpg

qmWW9W7.jpg

Your Android OS is busy trying to imitate Windows Phone OS, yet Windows Phone OS is irrelevant.

Your mind is a rollercoaster. What kind of radiation do those glasses emit?

You guys know what would be really cool in combination with wireless charging?

Wireless syncing.

Imagine if you could do that.

God, I wish Microsoft would steal that feature from Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom