• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nokia's Q2 numbers coming in a couple of hours.

Should be interesting to see whether they can match their forecast. If there's no significant growth in the Lumia segment I'm not looking forward to the reaction and the implications.

Can't wait for a certain Sony shareholder come into the thread and mention once again how Nokia should've gone with Android. Awww yeah.

hadareud

The Translator
It's inevitable.

Unless we post the numbers in a separate thread. Those are always quite fascinating, particularly enjoyed the one about the board meeting that said person created.

catmincer

Can't wait for a certain Sony shareholder come into the thread and mention once again how Nokia should've gone with Android. Awww yeah.

"But I criticise minor, insignificant things about Sony so I am not bias at all"

Oh and the incessant HTC criticism. God damn I hate the Android thread.

The part about him being a Sony shareholder wasn't even a joke. Just like some other vocal Android here who owns Nvidia shares and is quite the Tegra spokeperson. What a coincidence.

hadareud

The Translator
Are you saying that my decision to mortgage my house to buy Nokia shares may inform my opinion and influences my posts here?

Nonsense.

hadareud

The Translator
Nokia posts poor financial results
Even its partners want out

FINNISH PHONE MAKER Nokia posted a dismal set of financial results underlining the firm's recently rather sorry state of affairs.

Once regarded as the darling of the mobile telecommunications world, Nokia has found itself working hard just to tread water. The company posted an astonishing 40 per cent drop in quarterly operating profits for the second quarter of 2010 to €240 million (£200 million). Whereever you look, it's been bad news lately for the outfit.

Nokia's navigation arm, Navteq, which it bought in 2007 for over £5 billion, managed to perform as expected by posting a loss, managing to lose €81 million (£68 million). But never mind, it still did better than a year ago, when it posted a €100 million (£84.5 million) loss.

The results were so poor that one really has to employ a creative approach in interpreting the figures for a positive angle. Nokia might point to the fact that it shifted more handsets than before, but a two percent rise over the typically poor sales period after Christmas is hardly something to get excited about.

You know things are bad for a firm when its CEO, Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo, comments on his firm's performance by praising the market's growth, saying, "the global handset market has continued to grow at a healthy pace." The only problem for Kallasvuo is that while the market might be growing at a healthy pace, Nokia's sales aren't.

There have been repeated calls for Kallasvuo to hit the road, which led the embattled CEO to plead for an end to the tittle-tattle. "There has been a lot of speculation on my position, on myself, during the last couple of weeks and that is not good for Nokia and must be brought to an end one way or another," he said.

Nokia's joint venture with Siemens is looking shaky too, with the business unit still posting massive losses. This has led to rumours of a split, despite the two firms having shelled out over $1 billion (£650 million) on Motorola's telecoms infrastructure business a few days ago.

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Siemens wants out and is considering selling its stake in the joint venture, known as Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN). But it seems that Siemens is in a race, with Nokia wanting to dump its share of NSN as well. Apparently the size of the operation, less than effective management and an inability to compete with low cost Chinese firms are all reasons for both partners' dissatisfaction.

Nokia might remain the top handset manufacturer for the moment but it's clear to see that its inability to move with the times has led to the decline of its mobile handset business and just about everything else. µ
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1724284/nokia-posts-poor-financial-results

And there it is.

Stephen Elop was a good man.

Never forget!

nNSXu3E.png

hadareud

The Translator
heh

I was considering posting it in a new thread, just to see how many people would happily ignore the date.

But then I found my posting privileges to be to precious to give up on such a silly stunt.

hadareud

The Translator
I think it's fair to say that Nokia have yet to make significant headway with their flagship Lumias. Which is probably also the reason for the poor US performance.

The good sales seem largely driven by the budget phones, now they need to prove that they can also compete in the high-end segment.

This quarters results will be very interesting for that reason. The 925 wouldn't have made much of a dent last quarter, having come out very late, so this quarter will show whether there's been an improvement on that side. I doubt that the 1020 will contribute significantly, it's just too niche for that.

All in all I'd still say the numbers are very positive, but a lot of work remains to be done if they want the recent growth to continue at the same pace.

The good sales seem largely driven by the budget phones, now they need to prove that they can also compete in the high-end segment.

That might not be the case either:

TheVerge said:
Nokia introduced its budget Lumia 521 on April 27th in the US, and its Verizon flagship, the Lumia 928, on May 16th. Although neither device saw a full quarter of sales, it looks like initial demand hasn't helped boost Nokia's efforts in the US.

In other, more cheerful news, the KiK CEO mentioned that they'll update their WP app to OS 8, when Microsoft finally integrates WebKit support, because it's totally not fair not to use WebKit these days.

Livingston said it’s “not fair to developers to ask them to support WP” when it would require extra and unnecessary work to port the Card-based features to Windows Phone that are already openly supported by both iOS and Android. Webkit has been a popular demand by users of Windows Phone who wish to use 3rd-party web browsers such as Opera on their favorite platform. Kik’s Card-based apps such as the popular Squared game fall neatly into this category even though they aren’t all technically web browsers.

“If Microsoft puts Webkit on Windows Phone,” Livingston told us, “we’ll develop for [the platform].”

Livingston said that Kik wanted to “do what’s best for the user” and having a unified standard across all platforms would certainly improve the user experience.
http://www.trutower.com/2013/07/18/kik-for-windows-phone-webkit-compatible/

I hate how Microsoft outright refuses to support open standards like WebKit.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
In other, more cheerful news, the KiK CEO mentioned that they'll update their WP app to OS 8, when Microsoft finally integrates WebKit support, because it's totally not fair not to use WebKit these days.

http://www.trutower.com/2013/07/18/kik-for-windows-phone-webkit-compatible/

I hate how Microsoft outright refuses to support open standard like WebKit.

HTML5 & CSS3 are the standards, not Webkit, you don't want one rendering platform for the web, it will just kill all progress.

hwalker84

Gotta say Nokia's customer service is amazing. After receiving the email from Steven Elop and Matt from Nokia. I was told if I didn't hear back from Microsoft in a day let him know. When I sent a follow up email saying I haven't heard from them I received a prompt response and Microsoft contacted me asap. Amazing!

The part about him being a Sony shareholder wasn't even a joke. Just like some other vocal Android here who owns Nvidia shares and is quite the Tegra spokeperson. What a coincidence.

If you're not willing to put your own money where your mouth is, then you're not qualified to talk about these things.

I'm still debating whether I should buy any Sony shares or not. Had I bought in around December when it was $9 I would have more than doubled my money by now. As it is, the price is $22 and I'm a little wary, Sony hasn't actually shown a real profit for awhile now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I know a stock that has more than doubled since this time last year but that you wouldn't buy cause you're an Android fanboy. So it's clearly about fanboyism and NOT pure financial sense.

hadareud

The Translator
Buying stock of a company based on how much you like them has got to be one of the more stupid things you could possibly do.

Totakeke

If you're not willing to put your own money where your mouth is, then you're not qualified to talk about these things.

I'm still debating whether I should buy any Sony shares or not. Had I bought in around December when it was $9 I would have more than doubled my money by now. As it is, the price is $22 and I'm a little wary, Sony hasn't actually shown a real profit for awhile now.

That's idiotic. Even if you love Sony phones and believe by the virtue of that they'll earn a lot of money, that's not the only thing Sony does.

Buying stock of a company based on how much you like them has got to be one of the more stupid things you could possibly do.

I buy stock of a company based on what I believe their earnings potential will be. I'm in it to make money. This is one reason I held Apple even though I hate Apple. But you can believe whatever you want to believe, I couldn't give less of a fuck.

The Shift

Banned
Just got the CR200 wireless car charger via work.

Will be installing/testing it in a couple of hours. Hope the app support for it isn't as woeful as the wireless charging dock. Not being able to have sms/skype/outlook interactivity there is fucking disgraceful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom