• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That's a lot of issues that you have to deal with and that would piss me off if my phone did that all the time. You're a hardcore Windows Phone user but imagine if this was some casual user that tried this platform out for the first time and encountered this issue. I bet a lot of them would leave fast and leave a bad impression of the platform.

I get what you're saying, my brother in law is having issues and he's not a "hardcore" user. Definitely isn't a good thing, though it's a recent thing, the phone had been working fine for months now. MS/Nokia need to figure these things out.

Windows Phone is supposed to be a smooth and reliable platform. It's not unheard of to read stories from Apple or Android threads where the phones/tablets degrade after you own them a while or after certain updates, but these issues aren't even a result of updates. Seems like some software service is causing sporadic issues. Very weird.

I get what you're saying, my brother in law is having issues and he's not a "hardcore" user. Definitely isn't a good thing, though it's a recent thing, the phone had been working fine for months now. MS/Nokia need to figure these things out.

Windows Phone is supposed to be a smooth and reliable platform. It's not unheard of to read stories from Apple or Android threads where the phones/tablets degrade after you own them a while or after certain updates, but these issues aren't even a result of updates. Seems like some software service is causing sporadic issues. Very weird.

Could very well be driver instability crashing the kernel. I'd heard bad things about Bluetooth. Do you use it constantly?

Razdek

Banned

Oh I know that other platforms have issues as well. My Nexus 4 has rebooted and powered off randomly since I upgraded to 4.3. It's just that I think that WP has to work harder than Android and iPhone to the user that they've made a good decision to go with the platform instead of the other two. My Lumia 520 hasn't crashed or froze but the battery life on it is getting so bad it barely lasts the day now. Might have to do a factory restore to clear it out.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Could very well be driver instability crashing the kernel. I'd heard bad things about Bluetooth. Do you use it constantly?

Yeah, I use a lot of Bluetooth (car, play360, nfc sharing). The crashing problems were on my 920, and since I've moved to the 1020 I haven't had a crash (knock on wood). Maybe the amber update helps with stability.

Razdek, I completely understand your point. WP simply has to be better. In a lot of ways that matter to me, it is. But in some ways it's just not good enough and not getting better fast enough (notifications, customization, specs).

Razdek

Banned
Yeah, I use a lot of Bluetooth (car, play360, nfc sharing). The crashing problems were on my 920, and since I've moved to the 1020 I haven't had a crash (knock on wood). Maybe the amber update helps with stability.

Razdek, I completely understand your point. WP simply has to be better. In a lot of ways that matter to me, it is. But in some ways it's just not good enough and not getting better fast enough (notifications, customization, specs).

If by this time next year we're still talking about no notification centre, no separate volume controls, no fix for other storage, no backup of game saves, no better syncing app, no VPN, no weekly view on the calendar, forward button in IE, unified search then I don't think I'll purchase another Windows Phone again. Like you said, I'm getting tired of waiting for these features as well.

dLMN8R

Bing Weather doesn't have a wide tile? Come on guys.

Also, does anyone know a weather app that puts detailed statuses on the lock screen?

Edit: And the Bing Finance live tile looks like shit too.

I love Weather Flow and Amazing Weather for their lock screen support. Especially because they allow you to still use the Bing image of the day and overlay the weather on top of it.

Display + Touch was updated today for me on my Rogers Lumia 920 (running Amber). It now includes the Peek feature under the Glance setting. Cool stuff.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Display + Touch was updated today for me on my Rogers Lumia 920 (running Amber). It now includes the Peek feature under the Glance setting. Cool stuff.

I got the update to Display + Touch but I do not have the Amber update so I cannot use the new features. Tempted to flash!

JaggedSac

I love Weather Flow and Amazing Weather for their lock screen support. Especially because they allow you to still use the Bing image of the day and overlay the weather on top of it.

Ah, I have weather flow and didn't realize they had the Bing image option. Cool thanks.

Got my first Windows Phone today. My iPhone 5 broke and needed a cheap phone to replace it. Went with the Lumia 520 since it was a hell of a price for decent specs.

First off, I love the OS. It really is awesome and easy to use but I do have a few gripes.

1. This may be because of the phone, but it seems quite slow. Opening the music app to change songs can take 5 seconds while it 'resumes'. I miss the instant response from the iPod app.

2. App store. There are no decent apps. The FB app is terrible, the Twitter one uses 1/4 of the screen and there are no apps for my bank, snapchat, cracked etc. I know this isn't MS' fault, but still. It's one of the biggest problems I have with it.

3. Bugs. Wifi randomly turns itself off, Notifications don't come through (didn't noticed I had a missed call until I manually went into the call history tab).

I can live with these since I got the phone for £90 and I will be replacing it with the new iPhone eventually but I can see WP can be great, with just some simple improvements.

MCD

Wifi randomly turns itself off

upqEIDy.png

Lucius86

Banned
I'm really enjoying the new Bing News, weather and Sport apps. Only downside is I've had to rearrange my start screen, and I can see this cunt Suarez on my home screen.

Now you've released these apps MS, get to work on the Facebook app again please!

Got my first Windows Phone today. My iPhone 5 broke and needed a cheap phone to replace it. Went with the Lumia 520 since it was a hell of a price for decent specs.

First off, I love the OS. It really is awesome and easy to use but I do have a few gripes.

1. This may be because of the phone, but it seems quite slow. Opening the music app to change songs can take 5 seconds while it 'resumes'. I miss the instant response from the iPod app.

2. App store. There are no decent apps. The FB app is terrible, the Twitter one uses 1/4 of the screen and there are no apps for my bank, snapchat, cracked etc. I know this isn't MS' fault, but still. It's one of the biggest problems I have with it.

3. Bugs. Wifi randomly turns itself off, Notifications don't come through (didn't noticed I had a missed call until I manually went into the call history tab).

I can live with these since I got the phone for £90 and I will be replacing it with the new iPhone eventually but I can see WP can be great, with just some simple improvements.

I can't say anything about the first one, but there are usually some decent 3rd party apps for the popular services.

As for cracked:
Cracked.com (official app): http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/cracked/2830af84-b0f0-4364-82cd-2fa843f6ec78

Just use the search function on windowsphone.com a bit more.

As for the WiFi, it usually disconnects from WiFi when the phone is in standby, to save battery life. You can disable that in the WiFi settings (I think).

Milchjon

This is at least in part because the 520 is a low end phone.

I really like the Twitter app. Since they updated it to the new design, I haven't used anything else.

And which Facebook app are you using? If it's the new one, how is it terrible compared to those on other OSs?

By new, I mean: Does it look like this?

or this:

Milchjon

The Verge on 3rd party apps on WP.

Would've liked to have a few more words on how good some of them actually are, but oh well.

Also, I thought Snapchat was a must have app? I downloaded the lovely Swapchat, only to realize that literally no one I know uses it. Or they just don't want my nude pics :-(

Sorry if I'm posting old news, but I've been scrolling through my rss feed today and found some stuff that might be interesting.

IDC - Press Release

Apple Cedes Market Share in Smartphone Operating System Market as Android Surges and Windows Phone Gains, According to IDC

07 Aug 2013

"Last quarter we witnessed Windows Phone shipments surpassing BlackBerry and the trend has continued into the second quarter," said Ryan Reith, Program Manager with IDC's Mobility Tracker Programs. "Nokia has clearly been the driving force behind the Windows Phone platform and we expect that to continue. However, as more and more vendors enter the smartphone market using the Android platform, we expect Windows Phone to become a more attractive differentiator in this very competitive market segment."

Smartphone Operating System Highlights

Windows Phone posted the largest year-over-year increase among the top five smartphone platforms, and in the process reinforced its position as the number 3 smartphone operating system. Driving this result was Nokia, which released two new smartphones and grew its presence at multiple mobile operators. But beyond Nokia, Windows Phone remained a secondary option for other vendors, many of which have concentrated on Android. By comparison, Nokia accounted for 81.6% of all Windows Phone smartphone shipments during 2Q13.

tl;dr

Windows Phone shipments increased 77% YoY
Windows Phone is the clear #3 OS on the market
Nokia is Windows Phone, shipping over 81% of all Windows Phones in Q2 2013.

this_guy

And which Facebook app are you using? If it's the new one, how is it terrible compared to those on other OSs?

For me, the Windows Facebook app really sucks at notifications. Sometimes I don't get notifications for 12 hours later, where on the Android and iPhone notifications are almost instant. This also extends info Facebook chat - it's too unreliable to use on Windows Phone.

Another thing, on Facebook events, I can't see comments on the main description of the event. I can add a separate comment (like posting on a wall) and read other's comments that are posted separately, but I didn't realize I was missing out on comments until I looked at the same event on my Nexus 7.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah Facebook notifications really need to be fixed.

Also Rayman Jungle Run is 0.99 cents. Great game!

Edit: Tom Warren tweeted that GDR3 is in testing. Maybe we will see some 1080p, quad-core WP's next month.

frontieruk

1) Standard it's the app re-hydrating, it's slightly quicker on the higher end phones but not much, though I'm assuming you're changing albums rather than just track skipping which you can tap the volume to bring up the skip controls on the lock screen and start menu.

2) I'll refer you to The Verge scores for windows phone :)

3) I'm hoping MCD post made sense as wifi switches itself off to save battery when the screen is off for a certain length of time so that option in the screen shot should resolve that particular issue.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That's odd.

I had an issue where I wasn't getting game invites/notifications on my games tile so I turned of tile notifications on Alphajax and unpinned it from my start screen. Seems to work fine now.

dorkimoe

Guys, i wanna come back. I had a 900 while waiting for the iphone5 to release, had my 5 since launch and need my windows os fix again

I really was hoping they would announce something after the 920, and they did but it wasnt what i wanted..i dont really care about a 41megapixal camera or whatever.

Is the 920 still a good device? I really want the wireless charging which if i recall they took out of the 1020? But i dont want to miss out on something else coming out soon? still gonna be able to run quickly with a 920?

hwalker84

I'm probably going to have to wait a few months until the next update till this shit goes away. I tried reinstalling from the windowsphone website but that didn't seem to do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom