• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I haven't dug through this thread, but some of the folks here might be able to help

http://forums.wpcentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/236155-gdr2-update-showing-nokia-care-suite.html

hmm, went through the thread and I have the Nokia care suite, but there aren't any at&t roms :'(

Seems like I'm stuck now. Anybody know if the at&t stores have the ability to flash these phones?

Edit: it fixed itself, its all good now. I just left it running and it finally booted to the welcome screen. Completely random, I'd left it spinning for much longer previously. Thanks for the help, everyone, much appreciated.

It's too bad Huawei is somewhat done with WP. They want to be the next Samsung it's always nice for them to support the WP ecosystem. Huawei is probably the only OEM out there who has the R&D, manpower and relations to be the next Samsung success story.

PG2G

It's too bad Huawei is somewhat done with WP. They want to be the next Samsung it's always nice for them to support the WP ecosystem. Huawei is probably the only OEM out there who has the R&D, manpower and relations to be the next Samsung success story.

Except the western governments (or maybe its just the US) doesn't trust their products :p

JaggedSac

I'm getting pretty bad battery life on the Lumia 520 and over night it's losing between 20%-30% just being idle. I don't even have a Sim card in the phone and it's only connected to the Wi-Fi. Anyone with a 520 experiencing the same issues?

My 1020 loses that much or more overnight. Any good tips for battery life on WP8?

On another note, my new one came in the mail today. So overall, after initial purchase and insurance deductible, I've spent $500 for this god damned phone, lol, and the insurance company didnt even have yellow in their warehouse so I have a white one now.

Milchjon

Cool. I need to read the how to.

It's pretty self explanatory. Pick a template, upload some pics, enter some text, choose some colors, done.

In the sports team template, there's a section where you can choose a search query for YouTube which it uses to generate a video list. I liked that.

Some pretty nifty stuff in there. Might actually use it for some personal apps.

dLMN8R

Does anyone have suggestions for good apps that can download YouTube videos to play later?

MetroTube does this, but has two issues:

1) You have to stay on the video page as it downloads. No support for background downloading API if you go to another page to hit the start button (no clue if this is a platform limitation or an app limitation)

2) Playing offline cached videos drains my battery like a motherfucker. Used almost half my battery playing an hour of videos in airplane mode on a flight yesterday. Probably some inefficient method the app uses to play back the video.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have suggestions for good apps that can download YouTube videos to play later?

MetroTube does this, but has two issues:

1) You have to stay on the video page as it downloads. No support for background downloading API if you go to another page to hit the start button (no clue if this is a platform limitation or an app limitation)

2) Playing offline cached videos drains my battery like a motherfucker. Used almost half my battery playing an hour of videos in airplane mode on a flight yesterday. Probably some inefficient method the app uses to play back the video.

Try myTube. App is beautiful as well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Woah, very nice. Also like that it lets me save multiple videos at a time without even having to load them, just tap+hold on a list item.

Having the video being able to play and navigate the app is sweet as well. The Live Tile is also one of the best.

Razdek

Banned
My 1020 loses that much or more overnight. Any good tips for battery life on WP8?

On another note, my new one came in the mail today. So overall, after initial purchase and insurance deductible, I've spent $500 for this god damned phone, lol, and the insurance company didnt even have yellow in their warehouse so I have a white one now.

Yes when I had the 920 it was bad as well but I thought it was because of LTE. If I leave the phone idle without even touching it it dies in two days which is crazy. I got the yellow cover for mine and it's pretty sweet. Bet it would be even better on a 1020.

dLMN8R

Having the video being able to play and navigate the app is sweet as well. The Live Tile is also one of the best.

Yeah. The background download integration also seems pretty flawless. Need to connect to A/C and wi-fi, but it's continued downloading multiple gigs of videos indefinitely.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Loving it so far. I haven't really taken it to the beach or on a hike or somewhere I can take a signature shot with it. It feels light coming from a 920.

Build quality is excellent, its got much better construction to the 920 in many ways. Tighter seams between glass and polycarbonate, better feeling matte casing and buttons.

The screen is better in some ways (black levels, colors pop more) and worse in others (motion blur). I'm a fan of amoled, so I like it more, ymmv.

The camera is simply stunning. I've blown people's mind taking shots and showing them the zoom. Its unbelievable. There is nothing out there remotely close to what this phone does photographically. The problem is that its difficult to share the full res shot, and you have to manually extract them from the phone.

Nokia pro cam and smart shot are fantastic, and I like the gdr2 features glance screen and double tap to wake.

Haven't had it long enough to test the battery. The extra RAM isn't immediately apparent in day to day use, mostly because the 920 was already butter smooth.

Can't wait to take this around the island this weekend.

OfgJ7iH.jpg

Interesting day today.

MarkusRJR

Are they any YouTube apps that let you control content on the PS3/Wii U YouTube app? I tried using the mobile website but the TV control button doesn't work in IE (works on my BB Z10 but I usually use my WP8 device).

Also, GDR2 is bullshit on the Ativ S. No new features and everything performs identically. It didn't even solve the "other storage" issue. I only have 600mb left on my phone so it's pissing me off. Only 2 or 3 gigs is actually being used with my stuff out of the 14 available gigs.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Now that specs don't matter, it's time for Nokia and Microsoft to shine with software and features like the camera and great looking hardware. Too bad MS won't have anything cool to show this year.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Also, GDR2 is bullshit on the Ativ S. No new features and everything performs identically. It didn't even solve the "other storage" issue. I only have 600mb left on my phone so it's pissing me off. Only 2 or 3 gigs is actually being used with my stuff out of the 14 available gigs.

What about the radio? Data sense? Man, it really makes no sense to buy anything but a Nokia for windows phone.

MarkusRJR

What about the radio? Data sense? Man, it really makes no sense to buy anything but a Nokia for windows phone.
Nothing. It's bullshit. I would have went with a Nokia, but the flagship Nokia is only on Rogers. I have an awesome plan at Telus (5gb data, unlimited calling/texting, included caller id/voicemail for $60) and I didn't want to pay 30-40 more dollars a month just for a 920 (the only non-budget Nokia phone in Canada).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, in Canada we are pretty limited. If it wasn't for the 920 I would have left Rogers.

Blackberry needs to die sadly so carriers can stop pushing it here.

Joe

my 520 has an issue already....right ear audio no longer outputs any audio. multiple headphones work fine...except on 520.

my last nokia, an e71, was an absolute pain with little defects like this.

do i return it to AT&T or send it away to Nokia?

Milchjon

my 520 has an issue already....right ear audio no longer outputs any audio. multiple headphones work fine...except on 520.

Does the headphone plug go in all the way? I had this problem, realized it was some lint in the jack and fixed it with a makeshift tweezer.

i dont know if im retarded or not, but how do you play a specific folder in the music app. and why is it so hard to create a playlist? (keeps crashing when i do it on my pc)

Pepto

Banned

Have you rebooted the phone?

Joe

Does the headphone plug go in all the way? I had this problem, realized it was some lint in the jack and fixed it with a makeshift tweezer.

yeah, it goes all the way in. I will try cleaning it out though just to make sure.

Have you rebooted the phone?
I haven't but I will try that when I get home since I have no headphones here.

I don't think it will work though. When I loosely put the headphones in half way I actually get audio in both ears, when I fully click it in all the way its just the left.

sadface.

Lucius86

Banned
The Facebook app still needs some serious work with it's notifications - they come through delayed by a good few hours all the time.

PG2G

i dont know if im retarded or not, but how do you play a specific folder in the music app. and why is it so hard to create a playlist? (keeps crashing when i do it on my pc)

What do you mean folder? Music shows up based on tags (artist, album, song, etc.) not by physical location.

hwalker84

The Facebook app still needs some serious work with it's notifications - they come through delayed by a good few hours all the time.

Yeah its pretty crazy the difference in iOS's facebook notifications vs. WP. When I tagged myself and my wife into a restaurant as soon as I hit the button her phone vibrated with the notification.

PG2G

Yeah its pretty crazy the difference in iOS's facebook notifications vs. WP. When I tagged myself and my wife into a restaurant as soon as I hit the button her phone vibrated with the notification.

I wonder if it has to do with the difference between a Facebook developed app vs. non-Facebook developed app. Maybe they are forced to tap into notifications from a different place

I don't think I've ever got a notification from my Facebook app. I've the normal and the beta version installed and yes, I've enabled notifications after the first start.

this_guy

Yup this and the Facebook chat are two of the biggest annoyances I have with Windows Phone. Facebook Chat built into the OS is touted as a feature but it's not reliable at all vs iPhone and Android Facebook chat.

hwalker84

Yup this and the Facebook chat are two of the biggest annoyances I have with Windows Phone. Facebook Chat built into the OS is touted as a feature but it's not reliable at all vs iPhone and Android Facebook chat.
True. It just doesn't work that well anymore. The OS updates are way slower than Facebook updates. It doesn't even work with multi-person facebook chat.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm looking at the leaked renders of the LG g2. Yawn. I'll wait to see what software features they announce but seriously, why is HTC, Nokia and Apple the only ones bothering to make good looking phones?

I'm looking at the leaked renders of the LG g2. Yawn. I'll wait to see what software features they announce but seriously, why is HTC, Nokia and Apple the only ones bothering to make good looking phones?

I really wish the HTC One in red ran Windows Phone.

J8ImyzK.jpg

V1busFJ.jpg

Imagine a unibody aluminum Lumia with that color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom