• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at the leaked renders of the LG g2. Yawn. I'll wait to see what software features they announce but seriously, why is HTC, Nokia and Apple the only ones bothering to make good looking phones?

I'm watching the live feed right now and the G2 ticks almost every damn box, except for design.

-Great Screen
-Nice battery capacity
-High end hardware
-Actual useful software customisations, unlike samsungs crappy bloat
-supposedly good camera with OIS

Edit: Lol @ media praising 'guest mode' which is basically WP's kids corner. I think at this point MS's shouldn't even try improving WP because others will steal the ideas while people won't buy the devices.

I still hate how Nokia has exclusive apps like ESPN Hub and ESPN fantasy football even though I have a Nokia 920. Third party apps like that should be available on all Windows Phones to build the eco system. This is artificially created fragmentation.

For the nth time, if Nokia has exclusive apps or games, you can be sure they also paid for the development. The apps and games are going to be available for other phones later on.

Fucking told you so.

http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=a21d2b42-952f-4e3e-8045-b1a650cde793

yeah, but it's the verge...

I'm watching the live feed right now and the G2 ticks almost every damn box, except for design.

-Great Screen
-Nice battery capacity
-High end hardware
-Actual useful software customisations, unlike samsungs crappy bloat
-supposedly good camera with OIS

Edit: Lol @ media praising 'guest mode' which is basically WP's kids corner. I think at this point MS's shouldn't even try improving WP because others will steal the ideas while people won't buy the devices.

steal ideas like guest user permissions? uh...

yeah I can't get it either, looks like it needs the OS update.

Bing Apps for WP8!

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-announces-bing-apps-windows-phone-8

edit: not available for my device, noooooooooo
edit2: better just be because it hasn't been fully released yet....

Stop being so impatient, you two. It's right in the article:

When to get them?

Bing Apps are now available with their respective links and QR codes listed above. Note: these apps are very "fresh" to the Store, so if it says "Not available" for your device, try again in a little while until it hits all servers.

Excellent, glad these are finally available. MS should have this pre-installed.

It looks like the Bing team didn't know how to make use of the magificent "one codebase for all your Windows and Windows Phone apps" philosophy. It's the only reason I can think of why this took over a year to port.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think Facebook or one of the built in services is causing issues, at least for Lumia 920 owners.

Mine was having freezing, lockup, reboot issues which I attributed to me dropping the phone or something. It wasn't like all the time, but several times a week I got a reboot or lockup of some kind. My brother in law just casually mentioned that he was having the same issues too without me telling him about mine. Then, while using my co worker's 920 to grab pics of my 1020, it locked up then rebooted. And I just recall that my wife was telling me she was having issues with her phone, although I think she only mentioned data. All this anecdotal evidence is making me think there is some sort of software issue causing problems.

Any other 920 owners having sporadic lockups and reboots?

I started working on getting up a SNES emulator up on WP last night. Hoping to make a decent version in case SNES8X goes away forever.

And I'm not too impressed with the overlay that is on SNES8X anyway.

don't get too hyped up though. I still haven't finished lifelogger.

Powering through Smallville and other Superman-related media has made programming time nearly dissipate completely outside of work.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I think Facebook or one of the built in services is causing issues, at least for Lumia 920 owners.

Mine was having freezing, lockup, reboot issues which I attributed to me dropping the phone or something. It wasn't like all the time, but several times a week I got a reboot or lockup of some kind. My brother in law just casually mentioned that he was having the same issues too without me telling him about mine. Then, while using my co worker's 920 to grab pics of my 1020, it locked up then rebooted. And I just recall that my wife was telling me she was having issues with her phone, although I think she only mentioned data. All this anecdotal evidence is making me think there is some sort of software issue causing problems.

I am having reboots on my 620. Don't have Facebook installed.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Phew, from the windows blog:

Hey everyone. Some of you have asked about availability. The apps should be available in all supported Windows Phone markets. Second, the technical issue that's preventing you from downloading them is still being worked on. Stay tuned.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Any news when GDR2 for Nokia devices gets released :/

Like Brot said probably next week. Rogers tweeted some people that they haven't even received it yet from MS/Nokia :p

edit: also can't believe that they haven't fixed the download issue with the Bing Apps yet.

Milchjon

Here's a video detailing voice messaging in WhatsApp.

Is there a reason why the microphone icon is on the left on WP, but on the right on iOS/Android? Do they assume that because of the buttons on the right, we hold it mostly in the left hand? Because I don't, and when I tested it today, I was wondering why they'd make such an obvious mistake. Weird to see it's WP exclusive.

Also, I'm slightly underwhelmed by the design of those Bing apps. I thought Bing news didn't look bad on Windows 8, but here it's missing... something.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a video detailing voice messaging in WhatsApp.

Is there a reason why the microphone icon is on the left on WP, but on the right on iOS/Android? Do they assume that because of the buttons on the right, we hold it mostly in the left hand? Because I don't, and when I tested it today, I was wondering why they'd make such an obvious mistake. Weird to see it's WP exclusive.

Also, I'm slightly underwhelmed by the design of those Bing apps. I thought Bing news didn't look bad on Windows 8, but here it's missing... something.

You were able to download it?

Well I have Amber on my Rogers Lumia 920. Love it. I've noticed that the screen is more sensitive to touch now, where before there was a few pixels radius from touch to when it would start registering motion in a swipe, now that seems reduced. Could just be me though.

Also managed to goof on Nokia Pro Cam to try out, and it works really nicely on the 920, too. What a functional and beautiful app.

Here's to the next software release being a bit more substantial :)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Well I have Amber on my Rogers Lumia 920. Love it. I've noticed that the screen is more sensitive to touch now, where before there was a few pixels radius from touch to when it would start registering motion in a swipe, now that seems reduced. Could just be me though.

Also managed to goof on Nokia Pro Cam to try out, and it works really nicely on the 920, too. What a functional and beautiful app.

Here's to the next software release being a bit more substantial :)

Did you flash your device or was it an over the air update?

Cool. Does it have Datasense? Podcasts in the store?

It does have Data Sense, as well as the Mapping WiFi feature, which works in my city just fine. I see a Podcast section in the Xbox Music app, but nothing in the store, though. This is also with Browser and Search Language set to English (US) to get the extra niceties here and there. I also noticed that it doesn't have the Peek option for the new Glance feature, only Timed and Always On.

Nice. Does Local Scout work now with the search set to US? Currently we just get the Bing cards to swipe through.

Not really, I see a few events under See+Do, but the others are blank. Here Maps livesight feature is much, much better in that regard.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It does have Data Sense, as well as the Mapping WiFi feature, which works in my city just fine. I see a Podcast section in the Xbox Music app, but nothing in the store, though. This is also with Browser and Search Language set to English (US) to get the extra niceties here and there. I also noticed that it doesn't have the Peek option for the new Glance feature, only Timed and Always On.

Nice. Does Local Scout work now with the search set to US? Currently we just get the Bing cards to swipe through.

edit: yay, the Bing apps are finally available.

Razdek

Banned

That's a lot of issues that you have to deal with and that would piss me off if my phone did that all the time. You're a hardcore Windows Phone user but imagine if this was some casual user that tried this platform out for the first time and encountered this issue. I bet a lot of them would leave fast and leave a bad impression of the platform.

Troll

Banned

My wife has problems with hers but mine is fine. In line with what you're describing.

JaggedSac

Bing Weather doesn't have a wide tile? Come on guys.

Also, does anyone know a weather app that puts detailed statuses on the lock screen?

Edit: And the Bing Finance live tile looks like shit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom