• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hankster

Uh, does anyone know if there's anything like this on iOS? My wife has an iPhone 5 and she's always getting a bunch of junk texts advertising nightclub events like in Florida for some reason.
at&t? tell her to fwd the offending txt(s) to SPAM (whatever that number is - can't remember). at&t will then reply asking for number is text is from. cut and paste offending number and reply with it. seems to have helped me reduce spam txts.

Lucius86

Banned
Guys, i wanna come back. I had a 900 while waiting for the iphone5 to release, had my 5 since launch and need my windows os fix again

I really was hoping they would announce something after the 920, and they did but it wasnt what i wanted..i dont really care about a 41megapixal camera or whatever.

Is the 920 still a good device? I really want the wireless charging which if i recall they took out of the 1020? But i dont want to miss out on something else coming out soon? still gonna be able to run quickly with a 920?

If I was to buy a phone now, it would be a 1020 for the camera - but I do love my 920 still, and yes wireless charging is awesome. If the camera means nothing for you, the 920 is still a very good shout.

GDR3 is on the way, along with (I believe) 1080p screen and more cores support. I would imagine Nokia will have something in the pipeline for that, too, along with another Amber-like update mayhaps. I would guess that comes around November or December, but I'm speaking out my butt.

hwalker84

GDR3 is on the way, along with (I believe) 1080p screen and more cores support. I would imagine Nokia will have something in the pipeline for that, too, along with another Amber-like update mayhaps. I would guess that comes around November or December, but I'm speaking out my butt.
If they do another 41mp phone for December I'll scream and buy it again!!

Lucius86

Banned
The feel of deploying a personally written app on your phone is a magical one, as I've noticed after fiddling with my recently-unlocked phone.,

Oh yes it is. At 12pm each day I get all giddy checking how many more people have downloaded my app. I need to get my exam done with, then it's time to update it.

kharma45

If they update the 1020 with those specs I'm gonna plonk down a lot of cash for it. Would be my perfect device.

kharma45

I'd go to around £500 or so on it although with how fast the price of Nokia's goes down on Smartfonestore (you can get a 925 for about £280) I'd be tempted to wait off a month to see if they get stock.

PS Lucius made me sad that your F1 2011 vid isn't on YouTube any more, damn them and their music licensing.

Lucius86

Banned
I'd go to around £500 or so on it although with how fast the price of Nokia's goes down on Smartfonestore (you can get a 925 for about £280) I'd be tempted to wait off a month to see if they get stock.

PS Lucius made me sad that your F1 2011 vid isn't on YouTube any more, damn them and their music licensing.

WHAT? let's check that..it's still there? Must be for mobiles it doesn't play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c94d0_aBmY

kharma45

She's not working for me through Firefox

YaDkTTK.png

Lucius86

Banned
London and working.

You must have some proper dodgy Internet. Proxytube that stuff, it brought back some nice memories.

Also, so as to not de-rail the thread any more, give me a Lumia 1020 sequel, but with a 1080P screen, and I would happily buy the phone sim free for £500 Nokia.

kharma45

:lol

London and working.

You must have some proper dodgy Internet. Proxytube that stuff, it brought back some nice memories.

Also, so as to not de-rail the thread any more, give me a Lumia 1020 sequel, but with a 1080P screen, and I would happily buy the phone sim free for £500 Nokia.

It's just Sky Broadband :S they're what, second or third biggest ISP in the country? Must try to find out what is causing this. It's telling me 'This vide contains content from PEDL, Warner Chappell and UMG, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country in copyright grounds.' But yeah, after seeing the F1 2013 thread I thought I'd reminisce about a fun F1 title.

Anyway so as not to derail it anymore £500 would be a nice sweet spot. I just hope any revision has a 64GB option.

Milchjon

Wonder if we will see anything else significant with GDR3 beyond 1080p and quad-core support?

Wireless sync, of course!

(I'd be happy if they updated all the integrated stuff, because FB messaging is broken, and I hate that you can't see Twitter discussions in the people app. You only see replies, but if the tweet is a reply itself, you can't see the full thread.)

Lucius86

Banned
Wonder if we will see anything else significant with GDR3 beyond 1080p and quad-core support?

They really should pre-load the new Bing apps. I really like them, and the general public would not know to go off and look for them.

I found out today the maximum limit of contacts in a group is 25 - annoying now I use my personal phone as a work phone too.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I would like to see expansion of services like Local Scout, working notifications (Facebook), ability to play my Xbox Video collection and much improved sync app.

Milchjon

I would like to finally see better integration across the ecosystem. Syncing between IE, app purchases at least being discounted on a second device, a bump in smartglass functionality, etc.

Lucius86

Banned
Facebook notifications is the one major reason I don't recommend Windows Phone to my friends, it really is that big a deal. It needs sorting prompto.

Better notifications in general really for GDR3 - I liked some of the mockups we saw a few months back. Why not have notifications swipe from the left side of the screen, with an icon for the app and the number in a slim bar for each app with a new toast? Cant require too much root coding I would have thought. Obviously this would mean it can only be viewable on the home screen, but that's better than nothing if MS want to keep that area clean.

Task switcher needs the ability to close apps with a single tap.

Whatsapp has behaved itself for me tonight, notifications on time and live tile updated - made a nice change.

no weekly view on the calendar.

Do you mean by default? I'm curious because when I load Calendar it brings me to the current day, but when I tap the mini calendar in the bottom right it zooms out to the month.

I've always figured it intended for you to set things up day by day and zoom out to other days when you need to set other appointments up.

On topic, I love Windows Phone 8! I got my HTC 8X back in January and have had 0 problems out of it. I'll probably get a Nokia next time since they've really been the manufacturer to shine on WP8.

It was odd for me to see folks calling the 920 the first flagship phone for WP8 when the 8X was touted as the flagship experience at first.

I had never had a smartphone before because I didn't like how slow and unstable Android was every time I used it and I'm simply not a fan of Apple's fancy cases.

I've had fun with everything being able to synchronize together and using SkyDrive (wonder what the new name will be - AzureDrive?), and only hope when the X1 launches it'll be an even better experience with an improved SmartGlass.

The major drawback I see hurting WP is Microsoft now allowing it to truly have something exclusive, and I'm more specifically referring the keeping things like Office365 only on WP8 rather than having a version on iOS and Google.

I with samsung and HTC would step up and treat the platform more seriously, especially with it gaining traction and in some markets has already claimed a good share!

Oh well, at least MS can keep trolling Google with the patent royalties they get off each Android phone.

On topic, I love Windows Phone 8! I got my HTC 8X back in January and have had 0 problems out of it. I'll probably get a Nokia next time since they've really been the manufacturer to shine on WP8.

It was odd for me to see folks calling the 920 the first flagship phone for WP8 when the 8X was touted as the flagship experience at first.

<3 both my 8x and my 928. I switch between them every couple of weeks. Different form factors, which provide a different experience--if you can believe it. 92X's camera is magnificent, the 920's solid build quality, and NOK exclusive apps are mainly the reason.

Milchjon

The worst thing about Rudy is that he's French, yet he's working hard and has tech skills.

At least his English is as bad as it's supposed to be!

Thank you. :)

I can't say anything about the first one, but there are usually some decent 3rd party apps for the popular services.

As for cracked:
Cracked.com (official app): http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/cracked/2830af84-b0f0-4364-82cd-2fa843f6ec78

Just use the search function on windowsphone.com a bit more.

As for the WiFi, it usually disconnects from WiFi when the phone is in standby, to save battery life. You can disable that in the WiFi settings (I think).

Doesn't support my device apparently.

This is at least in part because the 520 is a low end phone.

I really like the Twitter app. Since they updated it to the new design, I haven't used anything else.

And which Facebook app are you using? If it's the new one, how is it terrible compared to those on other OSs?

By new, I mean: Does it look like this?

or this:

Mine looks like the second one. How do I get the first one?

Well, the second one is the current one, and as far as I know, it's pretty close to what's on other OSs? I only played with it for a bit, but it was much improved over the old (first) one which was a piece of shit.

It's slow, doesn't look as good as the iOS (no messages bubbles), notifications have to be refreshed manually and the button needs to be pressed at least 3 times before it actually works.

Milchjon

It's slow, doesn't look as good as the iOS (no messages bubbles), notifications have to be refreshed manually and the button needs to be pressed at least 3 times before it actually works.

Haha, those feel like minor flaws to people who had to deal with the old app ;-)

Notifications seem to be shit, though.

Milchjon

EDIT: I didn't read carefully -___-

I was talking about Facebook.

Whatsapp had a period before the last big update where they were like half a day late, but now they are great again.

Twitter has always worked flawlessly for me when it comes to notifications.

Edit: Haha, too slow

Razdek

Banned
Do you mean by default? I'm curious because when I load Calendar it brings me to the current day, but when I tap the mini calendar in the bottom right it zooms out to the month.

I've always figured it intended for you to set things up day by day and zoom out to other days when you need to set other appointments up.

I had never had a smartphone before because I didn't like how slow and unstable Android was every time I used it and I'm simply not a fan of Apple's fancy cases.

I've had fun with everything being able to synchronize together and using SkyDrive (wonder what the new name will be - AzureDrive?), and only hope when the X1 launches it'll be an even better experience with an improved SmartGlass.

The major drawback I see hurting WP is Microsoft now allowing it to truly have something exclusive, and I'm more specifically referring the keeping things like Office365 only on WP8 rather than having a version on iOS and Google.

I with samsung and HTC would step up and treat the platform more seriously, especially with it gaining traction and in some markets has already claimed a good share!

Oh well, at least MS can keep trolling Google with the patent royalties they get off each Android phone.

The other platforms have a week view so you can see your agenda for the week. It's annoying not having it on WP. Nokia is the only brand you can trust for this platform as the others are just giving it the token device.

I would like to finally see better integration across the ecosystem. Syncing between IE, app purchases at least being discounted on a second device, a bump in smartglass functionality, etc.

Yes yes yes. Not only would that improve the Windows Phone experience, it would give me a reason to use IE instead of Chrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom