• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Warren reiterated that the Microsoft-built instagram app is complete and fully functional but hasn't been released because "it's complicated".

Apparently temple run 2 and the enthusiast update program are also ready to go but held up for unspecified reasons.

hgWyXZ9.gif

The funny thing is that it really is complicated.

this_guy

LOL just got about 6 Facebook notifications from Sunday. Amazing.

The weird thing is that I get notifications instantly on the Me tile, so it must be something wrong with the Facebook implementation.

Sometimes I get notifications from the Me tile, sometimes from the Facebook app. Which ever gets it first means the other won't get it. And then sometimes neither will show a notification until the Facebook app gets it like 12 hours later.

KageMaru

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this, I'm due for an upgrade in a couple weeks and have been going back and forth between W8 and Android. I've been mostly happy with my crappy HTC Trophy W7 phone and while looking into the Nokia 928, I saw that it's available for only a $.01 from Amazon when you renew your contract.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CQAODG4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Is there some kind of catch with these kinds of deals? I've only purchased my phones directly from Verizon before, so I'm not sure about this, almost seems too good to be true.

Has anyone upgraded through amazon before and if so, is there anything I should be concerned about going this route? Thanks guys.

Dumb question:

How do I search on Facebook Beta for folks not on my friends list?

In normal FB I simply pull up my friends list, tap in the search field and swipe right. That isn't present in Facebook Beta as far as I'm aware.

I asked on the official WP8 FB page and never got a reply, though.

PG2G

Dumb question:

In normal FB I simply pull up my friends list, tap in the search field and swipe right. That isn't present in Facebook Beta as far as I'm aware.

Swipe the screen in from the left and type in the Search field

Dumb question:

Didn't Facebook come out of beta a while back? Perhaps you need to update. Unless there is another one.

Anyway, as it is currently.

- Hit the top left button or swipe from the left.
- Choose friends from the menu (when it opens there will be a search icon at the bottom).
- Push the icon, search pops up at the top.

Swipe the screen in from the left and type in the Search field
You can do this also, but this will search everybody, not just your friends. The way I suggested only searches your friends list.

Anybody know when the GDR2 update is due for the UK?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hopefully this is the right place to ask this, I'm due for an upgrade in a couple weeks and have been going back and forth between W8 and Android. I've been mostly happy with my crappy HTC Trophy W7 phone and while looking into the Nokia 928, I saw that it's available for only a $.01 from Amazon when you renew your contract.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CQAODG4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Is there some kind of catch with these kinds of deals? I've only purchased my phones directly from Verizon before, so I'm not sure about this, almost seems too good to be true.

Has anyone upgraded through amazon before and if so, is there anything I should be concerned about going this route? Thanks guys.

Amazon is legit and the 928 is a great phone. Just make sure that they keep your plan features the same during checkout. Tons of people have upgraded through amazon, they always have great deals on smartphones.

I was going to get my 1020 through them, but I'm impatient so I just went to my local at&t store.

PG2G

If I were you, I'd hold off for a few months if considering a WP8 phone. We might be looking at quad cores/1080p devices announced in September and coming as early as Oct/November.

Of course they will probably be AT&T exclusive lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I considered quad core and 1080p and whether I should hold out rather than get the Lumia 1020, but.......eh.

Photos are important to me, more so than the games that would benefit the most from quad cores, and I highly doubt we will see a 41mp phone from Nokia in the fall/winter. More likely, the successor to the 1020 comes next year and Nokia puts some nice shooters in their fall phablets but I'm almost certain nothing is going to match the camera on my phone. Also, 2gb of RAM isn't noticeable anyway, maybe because nothing outside of the camera app has access? Maybe with gdr3, the extra ram in my phone will be more optimized outside of the camera. Also, 1080p vs 720p really is meaningless to me. I can't for the life of me see the improvements from my phone to an s4 in terms of screen. Having an extra row of tiles isn't a big deal.

Motorola and Google seem to realize its not about bleeding edge specs necessarily if you can offer features in software that benefit the end user. I'll upgrade again next,year with the successor to the 1020 most likely, unless someone else decides to blow me away with a device or software that is a must have like the crazy camera on my phone.

this_guy

I considered quad core and 1080p and whether I should hold out rather than get the Lumia 1020, but.......eh.

Photos are important to me, more so than the games that would benefit the most from quad cores, and I highly doubt we will see a 41mp phone from Nokia in the fall/winter. More likely, the successor to the 1020 comes next year and Nokia puts some nice shooters in their fall phablets but I'm almost certain nothing is going to match the camera on my phone. Also, 2gb of RAM isn't noticeable anyway, maybe because nothing outside of the camera app has access? Maybe with gdr3, the extra ram in my phone will be more optimized outside of the camera. Also, 1080p vs 720p really is meaningless to me. I can't for the life of me see the improvements from my phone to an s4 in terms of screen. Having an extra row of tiles isn't a big deal.

Motorola and Google seem to realize its not about bleeding edge specs necessarily if you can offer features in software that benefit the end user. I'll upgrade again next,year with the successor to the 1020 most likely, unless someone else decides to blow me away with a device or software that is a must have like the crazy camera on my phone.

I agree, I think dual core is fine. I think a larger battery is more important than going to quad core (although my Nokia 920 has no problems getting me through the day).

JaggedSac

Tom Warren reiterated that the Microsoft-built instagram app is complete and fully functional but hasn't been released because "it's complicated".

Apparently temple run 2 and the enthusiast update program are also ready to go but held up for unspecified reasons.

WTF?!?!

KageMaru

Amazon is legit and the 928 is a great phone. Just make sure that they keep your plan features the same during checkout. Tons of people have upgraded through amazon, they always have great deals on smartphones.

I was going to get my 1020 through them, but I'm impatient so I just went to my local at&t store.

Awesome, thank you for the response. That phone for a penny sounds like a deal to me.

Another question, the only real issue I've had with W7 is the app support. Now I'm aware that app support for W8 hasn't matched IOS or Android, but is it better than what I experienced with W7? I know there was talk of improving support leading up to the launch of W8 but I don't know if these plans ever materialized into anything.

If I were you, I'd hold off for a few months if considering a WP8 phone. We might be looking at quad cores/1080p devices announced in September and coming as early as Oct/November.

Of course they will probably be AT&T exclusive lol

I'm not so concerned about 1080p on a handheld device. The smaller screens minimize the improvements brought on by the higher resolutions IMO. Regarding quad core devices, I'm sure the phone is fast enough with the dual core, but do games and apps even really take advantage of quad core hardware?

One concern I do have is waiting too long. As you mentioned I wouldn't be surprised if they were AT&T exclusive considering what happened with the 920 and now the 1020.

In the end I'm more concerned about price than performance. If I wanted the fastest phone, I'd pick up a really expensive Android. So unless I'd be able to pick up a quad core phone later this year for $100 or less, I'm not sure it's worth me waiting.

I do appreciate the suggestion though. =)

App support for wp8 has been much better than wp7, but im bias.

OS runs smooth as butter on the 928. Don't do a lot of gaming on my phone, but that's where any performance would be better with quadcore stuff. If you are a heavy user of mobile gaming--then perhaps you should wait. If you aren't, you'd probably be fine.

From the Neowin article on GDR3
Microsoft is also working on a feature to synchronise SMS text messages between handsets, PCs and the web. It's apparently intended to enable users to view their messages on other devices or via a web page - which calls to mind Microsoft's ill-fated Kin phones, and its 'Kin Studio' web interface.

There's still a question mark hanging over that feature though - it's said that the company may not complete it in time for the release of GDR3. "Sources familiar with Microsoft's Windows Phone plans" told The Verge that Microsoft hopes to have the update finalised by mid-September, coinciding with the announcement of a new Nokia phablet.

I really want synced messaging, I loved that feature that Apple does with iOS and OSX.

Lucius86

Banned
I want this feature, but only if I can also reply to messages via the web.

Yep, bit of a pointless gimmick otherwise, though I would imagine carriers not liking that idea.

Edit: DevCenter app is really hit and miss. It hasn't updated with today's download stats for my app :(

KageMaru

App support for wp8 has been much better than wp7, but im bias.

OS runs smooth as butter on the 928. Don't do a lot of gaming on my phone, but that's where any performance would be better with quadcore stuff. If you are a heavy user of mobile gaming--then perhaps you should wait. If you aren't, you'd probably be fine.

Hey thanks. I game some, but it's not a huge priority. I guess I care whether or not a game would be supported by my device more than how well it ran.

derFeef

In conntrary to the facebook notifications, the official Twitter app is crazy fast with it's notifications. Work on that, MS!

17 mins and my 1020 has been sitting at the spinning gears.... Not looking good. Fuck!

Oh man, sorry dude, hope it work itself out...

derFeef

With all those problems with Nokia lately, I am not sure I want my 920 replacement (got note I will get one, or money back - so still deciding).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You know I had trouble with the spinning gears just a few pages back, you are a brave soul for trying a factory reset.

Mine sort of worked itself out.....a day later.

Lucius86

Banned
Did a factory reset on my Lumia 920 a few months back - bad move, had to reinstall the original ROM, made possible to a member on here using an older version of the Nokia Care Suite and a ROM he/she downloaded just before the plug got pulled on them being available for public download.

Hope it works out for you, but sounds like it may need returning to a Nokia Care Center.

I had to do a factory reset back in december because Rogers didn't provision my sim card correctly and for them it was the only way to force it to download the new settings. Luckily nothing went wrong with it.

hwalker84

Did a factory reset on my Lumia 920 a few months back - bad move, had to reinstall the original ROM, made possible to a member on here using an older version of the Nokia Care Suite and a ROM he/she downloaded just before the plug got pulled on them being available for public download.

Hope it works out for you, but sounds like it may need returning to a Nokia Care Center.
So far it's completely F'd. 8 minutes from the 2 hour mark. Phone dead. Trying to use Nokia Care Suite but the phone is so F'd it can't even be recognized. Come on SON!

So my live tiles haven't been updating lately. Notifications that aren't email or text have also stopped. I checked the background tasks and there is only 5 things enabled :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom