• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwalker84

So who is going to support the 1020 next year? Do you think Microsoft will release Nokia firmware update, new update to camera app and any of the Nokia exclusive apps after the purchased go through?

All those Nokia projects will be scrap within a year, rebrand and then remake (like that shitty Xbox Music) with slow update and worst functionality because it will be design by committee in favor of their business partners and not consumers.

This deal is a loose-loose for Nokia users anyway you slice it.
This man makes an excellent point and put into words exactly what I was thinking when I saw this news. I hope I'm wrong.

Damn. I was about to go to best buy on my way home and pick one up (if they have it).

I thought about getting an ipod Touch 5th gen, but forgot about how the specs were much worse than the phone eq. Would get a iPad mini but I'm holding out for retina, and the phone is crazy expensive off-contract.

I can't speak for the new Nexus 7 (but skimming the thread on GAF, the impression is far from positive).

I would wait for new iPad mini retina, unless you really need a tablet. I also find the 7" form factor to be too small for reading.

I can't speak for the new Nexus 7 (but skimming the thread on GAF, the impression is far from positive).

I would wait for new iPad mini retina, unless you really need a tablet. I also find the 7" form factor to be too small for reading.

I just have some cash burning a hole in my pocket and want to buy some formfactors that I don't really have my own device for. I've rolled with android/iOS before on phones/tablets, but only for a week or so at a time (my friends' devices). Figure why not get some of the better devices out there to muck around with during the football season.

1020 maybe the last Nokia branded flagship with a 41mp sensor. I hope they drop in price, I'd snatch one.

Microsoft's plan is probably to flood the market with more 520 variations as it's the only proven WP8 device that's proven in all territories including the US. Occasionally, a high end Surface phone will be released but I doubt it will have a 41mp.

like I said, this is the end of Nokia as we know it.

I just have some cash burning a hole in my pocket and want to buy some formfactors that I don't really have my own device for. I've rolled with android/iOS before on phones/tablets, but only for a week or so at a time (my friends' devices). Figure why not get some of the better devices out there to muck around with during the football season.

I only use tablet for reading (web, books, magazine) so screen is the most important thing for me and next is performance (not gaming but when scrolling, browsing and reading news). I should have just bite the bullet and got the iPad mini then and then upgrade later to retina.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
1020 maybe the last Nokia branded flagship with a 41mp sensor. I hope they drop in price, I'd snatch one.

Microsoft's plan is probably to flood the market with more 520 variations as it's the only proven WP8 device that's proven in all territories including the US. Occasionally, a high end Surface phone will be released but I doubt it will have a 41mp.

like I said, this is the end of Nokia as we know it.
I highly doubt it.

I only use tablet for reading (web, books, magazine) so screen is the most important thing for me and next is performance (not gaming but when scrolling, browsing and reading news). I should have just bite the bullet and got the iPad mini then and then upgrade later to retina.

yeah, pretty much the same, which is exactly why I'm disappointed about that nexus. Not that it matters, I'll probably just end up buying nexus5/mini iPad (retina) in a month.

Razdek

Banned
So who is going to support the 1020 next year? Do you think Microsoft will release Nokia firmware update, new update to camera app and any of the Nokia exclusive apps after the purchased go through?

All those Nokia projects will be scrap within a year, rebrand and then remake (like that shitty Xbox Music) with slow update and worst functionality because it will be design by committee in favor of their business partners and not consumers.

This deal is a loose-loose for Nokia users anyway you slice it.

I agree 100% with what you posted, nice job.

Razdek

Banned
I'm going to give them a chance before saying it will be a failure or they are doomed.

Microsoft shouldn't be given the benefit of doubt when they've been given numerous chances to prove themselves and never deliver. They'll have to earn it with their actions and so far nothing from them to me indicates they're all in on mobile. Man this sucks, thought Nokia was just hitting their stride too.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
09-02Picture11_Page_zpsb0ff0f58.jpg

Obviously they have to deliver, but it sounds likes most of you are already convinced it will be a failure. Anyways I try to optimistic about things.

Microsoft shouldn't be given the benefit of doubt when they've been given numerous chances to prove themselves and never deliver. They'll have to earn it with their actions and so far nothing from them to me indicates they're all in on mobile. Man this sucks, thought Nokia was just hitting their stride too.
It has potential to speed up the weird hardware areas that Nokia invests in. Previously, an OEM might have to worry about investing in something like wireless charging, because at the is level it wouldn't work. Shoring up that supply chain a year in advance is difficult to do if you aren't sure that the outs is going to support it. Conversely, we can focus on making those types of things possible and more integrated into the OS. Why spend a lot of man hours to enable fm if no OEM would have the hardware to support it? After some thought, I feel it can really help them.

It also has the potential to end up like you say. :D

PG2G

While I won't give them the benefit of the doubt, I don't know how $7.1 billion doesn't indicate that they are all in.

PG2G

They purchased Skype and where did that go? It was suppose to destroy Facetime.

Not sure what you're suggesting. The fact that Facetime hasn't been destroyed doesn't really mean anything.

Microsoft has changed the entire Skype back end, Skype accounts and Microsoft accounts are now the same, the Skype codec is being used in other products, Skype is built into XB1, Skype is still on every platform...

Razdek

Banned
While I won't give them the benefit of the doubt, I don't know how $7.1 billion doesn't indicate that they are all in.

They also spent $6 billion on aQuantive and did that also mean they were all in on internet advertising? The thing is that a lot of companies that they acquire often seem to lose themselves and become a shadow of they once were. Remember Danger? What happened to them after they released the kin?

Razdek

Banned
It has potential to speed up the weird hardware areas that Nokia invests in. Previously, an OEM might have to worry about investing in something like wireless charging, because at the is level it wouldn't work. Shoring up that supply chain a year in advance is difficult to do if you aren't sure that the outs is going to support it. Conversely, we can focus on making those types of things possible and more integrated into the OS. Why spend a lot of man hours to enable fm if no OEM would have the hardware to support it? After some thought, I feel it can really help them.

It also has the potential to end up like you say. :D

I'm hoping the scenario that you gave is the case and it does eventually help out. However my one concern is how long a transition this is all going go take to get there.

Not sure what you're suggesting. The fact that Facetime hasn't been destroyed doesn't really mean anything.

Microsoft has changed the entire Skype back end, Skype accounts and Microsoft accounts are now the same, the Skype codec is being used in other products, Skype is built into XB1, Skype is still on every platform...
it's never taken off on mobile. Its a shame cuz its cross platform and could have been the primary mobile video chat service by now.

PG2G

They also spent $6 billion on aQuantive and did that also mean they were all in on internet advertising? The thing is that a lot of companies that they acquire often seem to lose themselves and become a shadow of they once were. Remember Danger? What happened to them after they released the kin?

Haha true, aQuantive was a bit of a disaster.

I don't know, I guess we'll have to see how it turns out. As someone that does software for a living, it is very hard for me to look at Microsoft and Windows Phone and assume that they aren't all in. There are so many challenges, stake holders, and so on that you can't just look at the fact that you don't have separate volume controls yet and assume its because they aren't trying.

it's never taken off on mobile. Its a shame cuz its cross platform and could have been the primary mobile video chat service by now.

Doesn't mean they aren't trying :p Really though, when it comes to stuff like this it is kind of hard to compete with a native alternative when the platform has an extremely large number of users.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

The 1020 is glorious, it really is. It is absolutely revolutionary in the imaging department, and the more I use it, the better I get, and I'm getting some stunning frickin images. I just took a one day staycation and the images I have are the best I've ever taken in my life. To take these images without any extra equipment and in such a compact form factor is something that an internet review cannot properly convey.

This phone deserved to set the world on fire, and it doesn't look like it did. If this is Nokia's swan song, it is the absolute perfect way to go out. With a quirky looking device that pushed the boundaries of what was possible in smartphone imaging. Mark my words, it will be at least another two years, if not more, before the performance on the 1020 camera is matched by another manufacturer, not counting $500 clip on lenses.

The 1020 is glorious, it really is. It is absolutely revolutionary in the imaging department, and the more I use it, the better I get, and I'm getting some stunning frickin images. I just took a one day staycation and the images I have are the best I've ever taken in my life. To take these images without any extra equipment and in such a compact form factor is something that an internet review cannot properly convey.

This phone deserved to set the world on fire, and it doesn't look like it did. If this is Nokia's swan song, it is the absolute perfect way to go out. With a quirky looking device that pushed the boundaries of what was possible in smartphone imaging. Mark my words, it will be at least another two years, if not more, before the performance on the 1020 camera is matched by another manufacturer, not counting $500 clip on lenses.
you ain't gotta sell me on the 1020. I check its prices everyday and check my 920's resale value.

it's a very worthy swan song, a phone I'd be proud to own.

I was just hoping the swan song would be in the form of a 4.7-5.3" 1080p screen, qi charging built in, 41mp sensor, quad core. The more this Nokia acquisition is playing out, the less likely we'll see such a phone.

PG2G

Anyway, I don't think this deal is beneficial to anyone but I'm guessing it happened for a reason. Perhaps Nokia was reaching a point where, like Blackberry, they probably weren't going to make it and needed to seek external help?

Razdek

Banned

That's why this deal sucks. Microsoft would never risk creating a 41 Megapixel camera phine and would just stick a generic 12-16 one in. I don't think they'll take as much risk now that they've been brought in house. I'm hoping that they do allow the hardware to take risks and come up with innovative design instead of playing it safe.

PG2G

There is absolutely nothing to support the suggestion that the types of devices we see are going to be different from what Nokia would do anyway.

You guys really are the glass half empty type aren't you?

Razdek

Banned
Anyway, I don't think this deal is beneficial to anyone but I'm guessing it happened for a reason. Perhaps Nokia was reaching a point where, like Blackberry, they probably weren't going to make it and needed to seek external help?

Yes that's probably the case as Nokia probably couldn't keep going at the same pace without some cash infusion. If they do end up buying Blackberry things are going to get worse and even longer to sort through.

bedlamite

Most of what MS has been doing is shifting towards mobile, e.g. gambling with the UI of the Windows OS to build familiarity with Metro and thus WinPhone. Like PG2G said I don't see why MS would just squander 7 billion on the Nokia purchase, especially when Nokia seemed to already have all its eggs in the WP basket anyway.

I'd like to be optimistic and think that MS is doubling down on WP by moving the Nokia and OS teams closer together, but MS's history of embrace, extend, extinguish is going to stay with them for a long, long time, and I find it hard to get onboard 100% with their Nokia buyout.

That's why this deal sucks. Microsoft would never risk creating a 41 Megapixel camera phine and would just stick a generic 12-16 one in. I don't think they'll take as much risk now that they've been brought in house. I'm hoping that they do allow the hardware to take risks and come up with innovative design instead of playing it safe.

That's a little too pessimistic, even for this thread lol. MS realises they're not competing in a vacuum, crazy shit like 41MP cameras is a huge part of Nokia's allure and MS would be insane not to keep pushing on that front.

There is absolutely nothing to support the suggestion that the types of devices we see are going to be different from what Nokia would do anyway.

I'm sorry but this is Microsoft we are talking about. They've killed exciting projects like the Courier and killed off innovative companies that they've purchased like Danger.

Like others have said though, this deal happened for a reason. Nokia doesn't have to resources to successfully launch a slew of products globally in a matter where the company would be profitable.

Microsoft and Nokia failed in the crucial US market and this is where we are at today.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

*insert this is NeoGaf gif

i can only assume the people who are totally optimistic of this move got a WP8 handset as their first mobile phone. the rest of us remember Windows Phone 7, Windows Mobile 6, Kin, Zune, etc... Microsoft has a history, a track record of wasted opportunities and half-assed efrorts on brilliant products. they were so far ahead and sat on it and got passed and now lapped. it really would be nice to have this thing be a 3 way competition as while Nokia may not have had the great success they have shown a great effort but then there's Microsoft and they aren't holding their end of the weight up.

Razdek

Banned
i can only assume the people who are totally optimistic of this move got a WP8 handset as their first mobile phone. the rest of us remember Windows Phone 7, Windows Mobile 6, Kin, Zune, etc... Microsoft has a history, a track record of wasted opportunities and half-assed efrorts on brilliant products. they were so far ahead and sat on it and got passed and now lapped. it really would be nice to have this thing be a 3 way competition as while Nokia may not have had the great success they have shown a great effort but then there's Microsoft and they aren't holding their end of the weight up.

Ugh I have a WP8, WP7, WM6, and Zune from that list and I'm part of the problem. Keep buying failed products from them and soon you start feeling like a sucker.

Totakeke

Ugh I have a WP8, WP7, WM6, and Zune from that list and I'm part of the problem. Keep buying failed products from them and soon you start feeling like a sucker.

I own plenty of products that has discontinued soon after I purchased them and I have no problems with it. As long the thing works and I'm happy with it, what's wrong with that?

Unless you're talking about future support, it's never a good idea to buy something for an update you think might happen in the future.

PG2G

I was never tricked into Zune (and nobody had a Kin) but I moved from an iPhone 3G to a Samsung Focus (on day one) and then to a Lumia 920. I don't feel burned in the slightest. The only major complaint I have is with Xbox Music, which really isn't that huge of a deal.

Razdek

Banned
Tricked into the Zune by what? The thing works even if it wasn't popular.

It's losing marketplace support soon so that's going to be a big blow. I use the Zune software at work and sync the songs I download from the marketplace to my device but I won't even be able do that anymore. Xbox Music website is a joke and I don't want to move to it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have less issues with Xbox Music of late (particularly on the phone). It is a bit better with GDR2. My entire music collection is basically Xbox Music so that makes things a touch easier as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom