• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best thing about the news is that we should be seeing Elop on stage at TGS. That would be so awesome.

If he isn't CEO by then already.

Zeknurn

The best thing about the news is that we should be seeing Elop on stage at TGS. That would be so awesome.

If he isn't CEO by then already.

Elop won't be joining Microsoft as head of an expanded devices team until early 2014. He is still Executive Vice President, Devices & Services at Nokia until the deal is done.

But yeah it would be enjoyable to see Elop smooth talking the Xbox at the next E3. Especially if they were to hold a Q&A at the end.

edit: Listening to Terry Myerson on the conference call going on right now and it sounds like someone is running a statement through Microsoft Sam. I hope they keep Belfiore to present WP events.
http://www.media-server.com/m/p/fafu5i6s

Elop doesn't join Microsoft as head of an expanded devices team until early 2014. He is still Executive Vice President, Devices & Services at Nokia until the deal is done.

But yeah it would be enjoyable to see Elop smooth talking the Xbox at the next E3. Especially if they were to hold a Q&A at the end.

Awww, that's a shame. I don't have the feeling that he's going to be in that position next year.

Milchjon

Marko Ahtisaari is leaving?

Nooooooooooooooooo. Killer blow.

Now I will be able to put a mess of three colorful columns on an ugly phone. Yay!

jagowar

Not being able to use the nokia brand on their phones is very odd.... not sure why nokia would even care since they won't be in the phone hardware game.

Also will be curious which services ms bought and how they will be integrated.... for example nokia music. It's kind of better than xbox music these days and I hope that takes over for xbox music.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprising to see people being pessimistic in this thread. If you like WP how is this not good news. The Nokia staff and DNA will be handling much the phone design etc. They are talking about acceleration not going slower. MS didn't do a restructuring just for shits and giggles and this purchase has been in the works for a long time.

Milchjon

I feel like I should start buying all the Nokia smartphones from 2011 until 2013, put them in a shrine and just look at them and cry for a bit every now and then.

Zeknurn

Not surprising to see people being pessimistic in this thread. If you like WP how is this not good news. The Nokia staff and DNA will be handling much the phone design etc. They are talking about acceleration not going slower. MS didn't do a restructuring just for shits and giggles and this purchase has been in the works for a long time.

I for one, can't wait for Elop to infiltrate Microsoft, turn Windows into Symbian 2 and for Nokia to buy Microsoft.

Low Cost is always a focus, but basically its more of a 'lets make sure the phone works nearly as well as high end' to ensure that those who buy the next 520 will still be able to like the phone, unlike a lot of the cheap android devices out there.

Best news: My NOK stock just made me a ton of money today.

I'm not sure whether this is good for Nokia hardware, but it was a shrewd move by management. MS seems like it needs that dedicated hardware unit to the OS, and they shored that up--though it might not be that same hardware unit. Hopefully they leave them alone like they did the Metro Design team to do what they want.

Also, this probably allows us to dedicate more time to add in features that highlight weird hardware, because putting that in hardware is now easier than trying to convince another OEM to do so.

Also, lol at this: 'are we marking nokia lumia? Or a cumbersome Nokia Microsoft Lumia 1020 Windows Phone Surface...8 Series?'

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I don't have any faith whatsoever that MS will move quicker than Nokia has been moving or that they will innovate in hardware and software the way Nokia has this past year.

Nokia was doing this because they had to do so to survive, MS has the kind of cushion in other areas where the phone division is not and has never been a strong focus for them. So that same sense of urgency will not be there.

Like I said, I'm not going anywhere, I just bought a 1020 on contract and I love this device more with every picture I take. This move still worries me though, I would've preferred for MS to just continue paying Nokia the $250 million a year for platform support or whatever it was.

I don't have any faith whatsoever that MS will move quicker than Nokia has been moving or that they will innovate in hardware and software the way Nokia has this past year.

Nokia was doing this because they had to do so to survive, MS has the kind of cushion in other areas where the phone division is not and has never been a strong focus for them. So that same sense of urgency will not be there.

Like I said, I'm not going anywhere, I just bought a 1020 on contract and I love this device more with every picture I take. This move still worries me though, I would've preferred for MS to just continue paying Nokia the $250 million a year for platform support or whatever it was.

It has a lot of potential to be very beneficial for both the designers and the hardware, but it also has the potential to wreck their entire workflow/environment. Hopefully management leaves them alone to do what they want, but enables them to further hardware advances throught the mass of cash laying around.

PG2G

Agreed, and even on the Windows Phone team there must have been some additional pressure knowing that your partner is going to live or die based on your performance.

that pressure no longer exists

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed, and even on the Windows Phone team there must have been some additional pressure knowing that your partner is going to live or die based on your performance.

that pressure no longer exists

But if WP sales shit the bed how does that help what they bought and the WP team. They still need to perform.

Milchjon

It was more like QWOP.

Ahahaha, perfect.

One of the few positives I can take away from this is that it might be a sign of phones getting higher priority within MS. Even if it was only offshore cash, and even if there's a few valuable patents in there they can license out, a future CEO Elop will have a hard time justifying a multi billion dollar acquisition of a division that doesn't perform.

The Verge-
Another notable departure is that of Marko Ahtisaari, Nokia's executive vice president of design. Ahtisaari will be leaving the company in November to "pursue entrepreneurial opportunities," according to a Nokia press release. He was credited with fathering the company's current Lumia design language, which has its roots in the ill-fated N9 smartphone.
Yup, the end of Nokia as we know it. Again, hopefully I get a hold of the last Nokia branded flagship.

clav

Ahahaha, perfect.

One of the few positives I can take away from this is that it might be a sign of phones getting higher priority within MS. Even if it was only offshore cash, and even if there's a few valuable patents in there they can license out, a future CEO Elop will have a hard time justifying a multi billion dollar acquisition of a division that doesn't perform.

Hopefully that means more Nokia phones on more carriers.

I'm looking at you Sprint. WTF

Razdek

Banned
But if WP sales shit the bed how does that help what they bought and the WP team. They still need to perform.

There's going to be a transition period and in that time who knows what is going to happen. I agree with those who said that Nokia was working with their backs to the wall and that is why you were seeing the apps and updates from them. Now they have to work within the slow confines of Microsoft so they won't be able to maneuver with as much freedom as before.

Razdek

Banned
The good thing that I can see coming from this is that now all the Nokia exclusive apps and features like Drive should be baseline features and available to all of the OEMs to use if they want. The bad news is that development of apps that Nokia built for missing features will probably be stopped (storage check, audio, etc).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Supposed to be an NFL.com fantasy football out today for X360, Win8 and WP.

edit:
The bad news is that development of apps that Nokia built for missing features will probably be stopped (storage check, audio, etc).

A lot of assumptions happening.

The more I think about it, the more of a nightmare this is for WP. Nokia was the only positive thing about the platform and now their name and spirit will die off.

Seriously, who's gonna buy a "Nokia" branded phone during the crucial holiday period now? Nokia is a dead brand now. Even sales of the hot 520/521 will be affected. Buying a "Nokia" will be the equivalent of buying a Sega Dreamcast during its last days.

Microsoft better speed up the transition process and rebrand those Jokia Lunias into Microsoft Lumias asap or risk the WP platform slipping further and further away.

MCD

The more I think about it, the more of a nightmare this is for WP. Nokia was the only positive thing about the platform and now their name and spirit will die off.

Seriously, who's gonna buy a "Nokia" branded phone during the crucial holiday period now? Nokia is a dead brand now. Even sales of the hot 520/521 will be affected. Buying a "Nokia" will be the equivalent of buying a Sega Dreamcast during its last days.

Microsoft better speed up the transition process and rebrand those Jokia Lunias into Microsoft Lumias asap or risk the WP platform slipping further and further away.

Surface Lumia 520.

ElNino

I'm still planning on buying the 1020 when is comes to Rogers in September/October. Why would this change anything?

PG2G

I don't think anyone will care. It isn't like Nokia is going out of business. If anything this should give people more confidence that their phones will be supported.

I don't get all the talk about quickly having to rebrand all Nokia's phones to MS Lumias. A 10 year license to sport the Nokia name was part of the deal. This gives them some time to chose a new encompassing name for their mobile devices or just build out the Lumia brand independently of any other branding.

I enjoy the big threads like today, and during e3/console reveals. It helps fill out my ignore list. Helps with sanity during the smaller threads.

It's not like the Nokia name did anything in the US anyway.

comments will go from-

"Nokia, they still make phones?"

to-

"Nokia, they're still in business?"

PG2G

I don't get all the talk about quickly having to rebrand all Nokia's phones to MS Lumias. A 10 year license to sport the Nokia name was part of the deal. This gives them some time to chose a new encompassing name for their mobile devices or just build out the Lumia brand independently of any other branding.

The Nokia name is for feature phones

Zeknurn

Yeah, it's not like support will be disappearing. Gaming side is on the Elop action now. Quality posts there.

It's funny how they think that Xbox is the most important part of Microsoft's devices team and that Elop not being a gamer is the end of the world.

Nokia name for smartphones will cease for the current set of phones.

don't know what "current set" means. Could the Lumia 1020 be the last Nokia branded phone?

No, the purchase still has to go through several channels before it's final.

There will still be some phones released between now and that date (someone suggested spring?)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Figures, I just recently started using the hell out of the Nokia Music app. :(

I'm depressed. If this deal had gone through last year, I would've been thrilled, but panic mode Nokia has been absolutely on fire this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom